GreaseSpot Cafe

9th Corps

notinKansasanymore

I met (but had not "come to know") Eduardo DiNoto, and I met Carlos Araoz, but I really like a mexican food ristorante called Chicos Tacos, and my favorite menu item is Arroz con Pollo, but withhold the sour cream.

Rockpile, was that which ye spake as you were moved by THE Pneuma, THE Hagion, and which our sister in the vierville laughed HEARTILY at, the melodic tune of neither Solomon nor Simonion, but by THE Boy, THE George, way back in, lessee, the 1983 time period, when he spake of the latter days with lizards and such??

Simon, if your son hungered, would you give him a stone???

Would you???

And Miss Nikah, how right you are. So many sacrificed their own lives, before their prime, before they had lived their dreams, before they ever had their spouse's & children, some still ruddy youths, as the bible would say, so that we today can enjoy the richness of life we have in this country.

Words come far too short of what they are worthy of.

May God have something special for them at the return ...

And for their families, who will until then only be able to remember them, their words, their voices, their ways. May God do what only He can for them, both now and at that day ...

Edited by Guest

I can interpret what it meant to me.

Shrubael Stearns, who came to these shores and died during his first few months here. His son, Charles, survived, and had a son named Shrubael, who had a son named Shrubael, who had children, etc.

Shrubael was my NNNNnnnnnth-great grandfather. He never lived to see his children grow, or his town blossom. Shrubael (could you tell by his name?) was a Puritan. He died in 1630, a member of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

Among his descendents were missionaries to the Choctaw, other various beginners of congregatins and churches, soldiers (generally militia, few regular army until more modern days). One of his nth-great grandsons was tortured, years later, by the British, because he wouldn't reveal the location of his father and the rest of the patrol of Revolutionaries; the grandson was ten years old at the time. He was finally released, on account of his tender age, and he rejoined his patrol (yes, he was a soldier, with his father, at that age).

Another of Shrubael's nth-great grandsons was taken prisoner by Union soldiers during the Civil War, but was mistakenly reported as killed in action. When he was released from the prison camp (no picnic, that) after the war, he returned home to find his wife remarried. He left money for the education of his two small sons, and disappeared forever.

Another of Shrubael's nth-great grandsons was in the patrol which held the record for being behind enemy lines for the most number of days, for the Pacific theater of WW2. That was my dad.

We have a lot to be thankful for, here with our cushy lives and our Krispy Kremes. Our household pets eat better than millions of people do.

I don't ever want to forget that I didn't get here under my own steam. I always want to honor those who went before, because they were the true bridge-builders. They saw themselves as important to the history of the world, and acted in uncommon ways to get things done.

To them, I say: well done.

Edited by Guest

Ah, Professor, that was wonderful and enlightening, sorry for my mistake in not clarifying which of Rev Tuttle's words I meant.

It was Mr. T's prophesy immediately before that one that was such a puzzlement to me.

Perhaps I simply don't have ears to hear or eyes to see the fullness of that hot pnuema.

But thank you niKa for sharing about your family history, it is noble and wonderful.

Thank you very much.

[This message was edited by Rocky on July 06, 2003 at 19:57.]

Edited by Guest

Thanks.

Actually, Dad spent a lot of time in a VA hospital after the war; they couldn't really help him, because he was so shot up. They basically sent him home to die among people whom he loved. After spending about a month at home, he got tired of all the "oh, poor Sam" action, and ran away to Mexico. He ate everything hot that he could get his hands on. Peppers must have been good for him, because he's now 79 years old, and still ornery.

But, you know, as far as the OTHER remarks that the Right Rev. Tuttle made, and their interpretation, I have no idea. I looked up "boy george" and "lizard," but got no hits, and can only hope that my loving family will not wonder why I have been searching such weird stuff. Perhaps this is one of those situations in which the same one who spoke must interpret.

leetle niKa... I'm very happy to hear about your pops... and thankful for his (and others) service fighting for us...

as for the Right Rev 2Ts and Rocky... well, let him who is without gin cast the first interpretation...

and Simontheloaded, son, I told ya... that's Zona heat... compares to about 85 here! (but then again, I don't have to spend it in the valleys and gables like you do, so... MAS CERVESA, por favor)...

MsExoftheCat: I'll be bringing the cookies for feelowsheep tonight (we can use the leftover red napkins, OK?)

I looked behind the curtain and saw that it was bad

You guys who are getting together in AZ next week, I hope that you have a great time. I will be thinking of you.

It's okay, because "it's a dry heat."

I will rightly divide a gin & tonic in your honor, at the appropriate hour of the appointed day.

In fact, let's just organize a group toast, whatsay? Pinky fingers out, everybody!

"It's a dry heat" -- is that code for "I'm not sure what it feels like, but someone said it shouldn't be that bad?"

If so, consider this -- the fire on Mt Lemmon, still going after all these weeks (nearly 3, btw) -- and niKa, I know you know Mt. Lemmon, and Tucson -- the fire is, as they say in "Hotshots" jargon, "laying down." Attempts to have preventative "controlled" burns in low lying grass areas, where catastrophic pine crown fires can be prevented, are NOT burning -- because the humidity is rising.

And my evaporative cooler was not putting out very cold air last night at bed time.

So, as for me and my heat, well, it's not staying dry and might need depends.

So, YES -- Mas Cerveza

Edited by Guest

Am I late? did I miss the manifestations? (again)...

Rockman... it's all of those damn swimming pools!

Simontheloaded... wap, it's the new thing that they're doing in the cult (and you get a red and white bumper sticker)...

OurLadyoftheEx... did you draw that? you're so good at posting pictures here... I'm gonna scan some from first year and... Is that OK with you guys?

MsNika, are you leading the songs? if not, why are you waving around that rocks glass?

Has reverend2Ts shared from the word yet?

Help me folks... there was a cultie on another thread named Mike and he's been trying to get me to go to his feelowsheep!

That Mike is a toughie; I tried to talk to him on another thread, and he accused me of yelling at him. Honestly, though, I didn't. I just checked out of that thread; I don't need to listen to that junk anymore.

Rocky, I used to know Mt. Lemmon; they sent a picture, and all that's left is the chimney, and the concrete deck supports. I'd thought that the ash would at least be dramatic, and blackened; it's only a very light gray, and almost looks like a picture of something by moonlight; you know how everything just looks "silver," in the right frame of mind, in the moonlight? It's very sad, but plans are already in the works for demolishing the remainder, and rebuilding on the same spot.

It's only stuff. People are the important part.

Well, it's still sad that the stuff is gone. But, you know that they say that this kind of thing reminds us of what's really important.

It does.

Ah niKa, it does indeed. It's STUFF. Some stuff grows back (Yippie), and that part is actually quite awesome.

But it sure helps us with images of what doesn't grow back, the folks, that is.

I'm reminded of what's happening in Washington, where once rumbled the mighty and explosive power, with dramatic ash and all, Mt. St. Helens.

Anyway, GO DIAMONDBACKS! They were down 5-0 tonight and are now, in the 7th inning, ahead 13-6. One young man has hit 3 home runs and 7 rbi's.

See y'all in October baseball! (sorry about the excitement, baseball fans).

ah... reverend2Ts... it's nice to hear from ya!

that last saying... is it something like the famous (forgive me my brethren and sistern) line we learned in the corps?

"Someday is not on the calendar"...?

Simontheloaded, Rockstar: is it hot yet?

Dos Cervesas por favor!