GreaseSpot Cafe

9th Corps

notinKansasanymore

• 2 weeks later...
We've gotten the first wave of cold weather. Some day, I will live where this kind of nonsense doesn't happen. But for now, I will just say, "Spring is Coming."

lemme see, now, you can try Galveston, New Orleans, Brownsville, Miami....

Or if you don't like snow, cold, hurricanes, or super muggy air , you can try my birthplace, the southern CA coast...it might be worth a few earthquakes to be able to breath the fresh air...

Of course there is southern AZ with generally none of the above...

If you're the mind of person who would never die of boredom...I can see it in your post. There you'd never be able to really say "spring is coming" or "I'm glad to finally see the sun for the first time in a week..."

I guess people in their old age don't get bored so much; maybe why the average age is so high out there. But you haven't reached old age yet, have you? :biglaugh:

Lifted, thanks for the suggestions. Arizona has the great sunsets, and the monsoons. And lots of Mr.niKa's relatives, which is a plus. It's just a tough place to bring up kids, at least in Tucson. Lots of gangs in the schools. South Texas would me my personal pick. As for getting to old age, I surely hope that I haven't gotten there yet. I suppose that we each decide that every day, don't we? Some days, I'm younger than others. I want today to be one of those!

love, niKa

:dance:

From my point of view, things have worked out great. I have always preferred cold and snowy winters over sizzling hot summers, so that part fits well with having a wife from Siberia.

While I must concede distance was a determining factor in my choice of college back in the '60s, climate might have tipped the scales in the same direction I wound up going...I was accepted at Penn State and Florida State.

To change the subject, there was a 9th corps I knew at HQ I have never asked about or seen mentioned (As I have mentioned others such as Simon). This one I remember from snapping a picture of this person leading a bird call demonstration at PFAL77. I still had that picture at HQ. Almost all other 9th corps that fall at HQ I think I have mentioned or seen mentioned over the last few years.

Hmmm. Well, Jeff Nicely finished with the 9th, and he used to do a heckuva jungle bird call. I can't re"call" who else did bird calls - anybody else remember?

I didn't mean to start a guessing game, I just by habit don't freely toss names around; should I mention the name here? Initials were LR.

One reason I remembered this little act is that I saw it on my way out of the dorm to get filmed running. We were told that the filming crew was going to film runners in a particular area. This paid off in me getting shown, though briefly and from fairly long range, alone in the center of the picture on "Changed".

Edited by Lifted Up

I didn't mean to start a guessing game, I just by habit don't freely toss names around; should I mention the name here? Initials were LR.

One reason I remembered this little act is that I saw it on my way out of the dorm to get filmed running. We were told that the filming crew was going to film runners in a particular area. This paid off in me getting shown, though briefly and from fairly long range, alone in the center of the picture on "Changed".

I'm looking at a list of 9th corps and there are only two persons on it with the initials LR and both are female.

I'm looking at a list of 9th corps and there are only two persons on it with the initials LR and both are female.

Well then you could probably take a pretty good shot if it were a guessing game. Anyway, I also didn't want to imply I knew this person well; I just remember her as I do many others with my infamous TWI memory.

Lemme see, some 9th corps at HQ that fall of 1979,

RN & CN, JK, BP & SP, VD, LR, DB, and I know I dont have them all...

P.S. You have a list...is it of all who were in, or graduated, or what...e.g. a list of graduated 8th corps would not have me on it...

Edited by Lifted Up

Well then you could probably take a pretty good shot if it were a guessing game. Anyway, I also didn't want to imply I knew this person well; I just remember her as I do many others with my infamous TWI memory.

Lemme see, some 9th corps at HQ that fall of 1979,

RN & CN, JK, BP & SP, VD, LR, DB, and I know I dont have them all...

P.S. You have a list...is it of all who were in, or graduated, or what...e.g. a list of graduated 8th corps would not have me on it...

The 9th corps list? The answer is YES. Okay, I'll clarify... it starts with the initial housing list from Sept 5, 1978, has some added (who finished with the 9th but didn't start with the 9th) and also has names crossed off (those who didn't graduate). I am on the list but crossed off, because I didn't graduate.

Did you guys see that GAME last night? Tech got Okla-Hammered. It's almost enough to make a girl dream of a shot at the championship. We'll have to see how the next couple of weeks turn out. We have to play Okla. State at their place; that's never an easy thing.

Fingers crossed.

I'm just waiting to see all the fighting over who gets to play in that big game, now that we're evidently out of it; locked into the Rose Bowl and probably playing someone we already beat the tar out of.

'Bama and Florida are up there, but I think they will have to play each other twice in a row.

Or maybe not twice. I was looking at the schedules and I guess they have the SEC title game on each team's schedule now at it confused me.

Edited by Lifted Up

I have toyed with the idea of starting a dream thread, asking if people ever dream about their TWI life. The reason I mention this here is that I had a wierd one a night or two ago that I remembered upon waking, and it involved the 9th corps, I swear. I suppose I've been spending too much time here lately. But if I told you the details, you'd agree it was wierd.

Well, Lifted, we were sort of an eccentric bunch. Any dream about us would necessarily be . . . interestingly different.

So, we got past OSU last night. For once, maybe the BCS will help Oklahoma, and get us into that Big 12 championship game. I want our Sammy to be in the running for the Heisman this year.

Fingers crossed.

I de-boned the turkey yesterday, and there's still cranberry sauce left. That means only one thing: we need more rolls. I'll get out the flour and the yeast, and get to work. Good rolls take all day, and I will be grading papers for most of that time, anyway. Turkey sandwiches on rolls with cranberry sauce . . . wowzer.

Fellowshipper, did you make a turkey this past week, dude? Or did you settle for Weka?

(Does anybody eat Weka down there, anymore?)

:dance:

Hi, Excie! Thanks for bringing us back up to the top. How's your morning? I hope that it's a great weekend for you.

If any of you were so inclined to keep your fingers crossed for the Sooners, regarding tonight's Big 12 Championship game, that finger-crossing would be much appreciated. If we win this, we get to play for the national championship; for once, I am happy with the BCS.