GreaseSpot Cafe

Maine

Daggoo

Sebago Lake (home of the landlocked salmon) saying Hello to all you Mainers!

Been here five ish years, took the long route up I 95 from Miami to get here, never leaving...

ex 10wc uh sorry - class of 82...

how silly they are. Had I stayed in I coulda been a limb boss too!!!!!

but then I woulda missed out on all the great things God has done for me since, like being HAPPY that was always thought to be subversive or anti-God in twi.

Maine is where you have an assortment of snow shovels for different storm types.. and you are proud of that fact...

where losing power just means the neighbors get in the warmest house and play A LOT of cribbage...

where it is a law that you strap a canoe on your vehicle each spring until late, late fall, even if the canoe leaks...

Where being called "From Away" is the worst possible insult... unless you are from Massachusetts, then you are called a "M*******"...

Where anything south of Old Orchard Beach is considered Massachusetts (see above) ...but noting that Old Orchard Beach is considered Canada...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Daggoo...

I'll be up to Unity in September for the Common Ground Fair again.

Onioneater and I rendez-vous'd there last year...ate a continuous Maine french fried potato...

Perhaps we could all meet up this year, eh?

I'm glad you love it and have found happy! icon_smile.gif:)-->

Happy is a good place to be. icon_wink.gif;)-->

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Daggoo!

Just moved here myself two weeks ago, from the Nutmeg State, which is like Massachusetts, only less so.

I am in the L/A area. I'm loving it! I have yet to see a moose, but hope it will only be from far, far away. Just got back from the Moxie festival. Now I know why Moxie is NOT the #1 drink!

Hope to meet up with you,

Shaz

shazdancer:

"Just moved here myself two weeks ago, from the Nutmeg State, which is like Massachusetts, only less so. I am in the L/A area. I'm loving it! I have yet to see a moose, but hope it will only be from far, far away. Just got back from the Moxie festival. Now I know why Moxie is NOT the #1 drink!"

Wonderful.

I am in escrow purchasing some land in Old Town. We look forward to the day that we can also move to Maine.

Ahh, Maine, "the way life should be"!!!

My wife and I have been seriously considering a move back there. We were looking at the central area around Waterville (Kennebec county). Were also thinking about the Bangor area too.

Anyone live around there that can share info on what it's like? Hows the job/housing/schools in that area, any exTWI fellowships around?

I have found the Bangor area to be very nice.

We got a place just North of Bangor, near Old Town. 44 acres with 1/4 mile of frontage on highway 116 and 1/4 mile of Penobscot River, mostly forested and all of it is "Tree-Growth" so property taxes are currently capped at $32/year. No house, but soon there will be. We got the land for $38k.

We liked it so much that my sister-in-law bought the property across the street. 105 acres of forest with annual taxes of $40, for $40k.

The I-95 freeway exit is #195, which puts it 8 miles from the Bangor mall at exit #187, and 10 miles from the Bangor 'Inter-National' Airport at exit #182.

Lots of moose, bear and beaver.

The cape sounds great my old friend Wackey, i'd love to have you as my neighbor. Problem is, I'm about 300k short. icon_frown.gif:(-->

By the way, what's happening with your Vermont homestead?

Galen, that sounds awsome. Hey maybe well be neighbors. Do you know anything about Greenbush or Corinna Maine? Saw some nice homes for sale online there.

My wife and I really miss country living and we both love Maine.

The town of Surprise AZ, where we live was a small farming community a few years ago, but it's growing so fast. It was about 20k population when we moved here and today it's 70k. It's getting to be like Phoenix here. icon_mad.gif

Anyway Central Maine looks very nice to me.

Any GSpotters that live in that area???????

The lawyer told me not to buy it....as cute as it was....

It was a whopping 650 sq. ft. total, which is barely bigger than the house I'm in now...and with all my crafts!!!!

So, when I was exploring the laws to build we found that the house was 54' from the brook (with waterfall)...and the law is the house be 50'...and the house was 78' back from the road ...the law is 75'...that left the whole side yard which, because of Vermont laws, was going to be totally occupied by the $30k septic I had to put in...and there was no space to build on that side of the house!!!!

Hence...I'd be locked into that 650 sq. foot house forever...and darling as it was...as gorgeous as the view...

Makes me wicked sad...can't think about it too much anymore... icon_frown.gif:(-->

So...here I stay...I'll finally be out of debt by the end of this month...so I'm staying here to start building for my old age which keeps coming...

So...when you move out here...you have a summer house to come to... icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I live in the western mountains area near a major ski resort "Sunday River". Land is still reasonable here. A cousin just bought a house in town on a double lot for $40k this week. Appalacian trail goes through the town. My house is in town on a river clean enough to swim in.

http://www.mexicomaine.net/

http://leavittrealty.net/

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?count...Mexico&state=ME

Edited by OnionEater