GreaseSpot Cafe

Maine

Daggoo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outin88!:

"Galen, that sounds awsome. Hey maybe well be neighbors. Do you know anything about Greenbush or Corinna Maine? Saw some nice homes for sale online there."

Greenbush is accross the river (directly accross), last winter I saw an ad for a piece in Greenbush and spoke with our realtor about it. 52 acres on the riverfront. My realtor had to speak with the seller's realtor. When he got back to me, he said that "in the spring the black-fly is so thick that to try cutting brush or trees with a chain-saw and the black-fly will take your chainsaw away from you."

Corinna looked very nice, when I last drove through it. Mayberry is what came to mind, actually. Not sure if the deputy really carrys a bullet in his shirt-pocket though.

"Anyway Central Maine looks very nice to me.

Any GSpotters that live in that area???????"

Last summer I made a bid on land in Liberty, turned out that rock ledge is underground and that installing a septic system would be impossible. Also Maine does not allow new dry toilets, nor any kind of high-tech septic systems, only a septic tank with leech field is legal to fullfil the requirements to build a house. After you have a septic system, then if you want to install a high-tech system in addition to the first, you can. This I got from a Soils Engineer in Maine. (His title was actually about 10 workds longer).

My advice to you? Be aware of hidden rock ledges, in Maine.

We have drawn the planns for what we want in this house, for some years, it is approx 5200 sq ft. Last year I transfered it to a architectural program, which renders all lighting levels and makes 'photo-realistic' images from any angle. Cool! If anyone has software to read a (52Mb) dxf file, I can send these plans to you and get feed-back.

We contacted a steel-building manufacturer and they can deliver to us all parts, pre-cut, and ready to just bolt together, matching our planns; for around $25k.

quote:
Corinna looked very nice, when I last drove through it. Mayberry is what came to mind, actually. Not sure if the deputy really carrys a bullet in his shirt-pocket though.

My brother-in-law is a deputy sheriff in the Corinna area and his gun is always loaded. It's a nice area to live in but because of a large influx of "Yuppies From Away", land prices have been climbing and that trend is happening all over central Maine. Prices have increased 30% in the last 6 months because of the "Exodus" from the flatlands.

I call my brother-in-law "Deputy Dawg" and sometimes "Barny". lol

No offense taken, I am not like that, I do my share of making fun of some places in Maine also. After all, I live in the smelliest town in New England.Near "Dumpford" where the air smells like cabbage from the paper mill here. Fortunately I live up-wind and very seldom smell it.

Thanks for the info Galen. Sounds like you have a nice piece of land to build.

We were thinking more on buying a older home with a little land in a small town. But building a place, that sounds interesting, I'll think on that.

Onion, I used to live in Eliot Maine but today I couldn't afford the house I used to live in since the prices went up so much, due to all them yuppies buying up homes and land! icon_mad.gif

Outin88!:

"Thanks for the info Galen. . . "

Anytime.

"We were thinking more on buying a older home with a little land in a small town. But building a place, that sounds interesting, I'll think on that."

There exist many many many homes for sale in Maine, I found 2 realtors that each really tried to help me. If you have difficulty in your search for good ones, I will gladly refer you to either of these. One is in Belfast and focuses on homes along the coast and mid (Augusta - Bangor - Belfast area). The other is in Houlton and focuses on stuff Bangor and North, but is very knowledgible of stretching out East and West pretty far. I found both of these guys to be very easy to work with and not pushy at all.

quote:
Onion, I used to live in Eliot Maine but today I couldn't afford the house I used to live in since the prices went up so much, due to all them yuppies buying up homes and land!

I know what you mean, I use to live up the road in York, ME 30 years ago. I was going to buy a house on the York River back then for $29k but thought it was too much money. It was recently sold for $400k.

Onion -

I was in Rumsford not too long ago and Mead Paper has done a lot about the smell. It used to be a lot worse! I was really impressed.

(I'm Irish and don't consider the smell of cooked cabbage to be offensive but that's me...)

Anyhow, I'm from the Sanford/Wells area in southern Maine. I got in the Word in 1988 with the Sanford WOWs and then attended twig in Portland at the limb... Many moons ago, now...

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread with you Mainers. It sounds like your love for Maine is similar to the love we Alaskans have for our state. Maine sounds wonderful! And, I had to laugh when I read that people from outside of Maine are known to be "From Away". In Alaska, we say that someone is from "Outside". And if we leave the state, this is referred to as "going "outside", or having "been outside".

"Hey, where's Jonny Lingo been these days? Oh, he's Outside somewhere. Went down to Oregon to see his daughter or something..."

Yup Maine sounds wonderful. And, you have those delicious Maine lobsters! We don't have any lobsters up here. But we do have Dungeness, Tanner, and King Crab, which makes up for it fer sher. Watch out for those evil black flies though! Ya know, we actually have a cousin to those blackflies. They are called "white socks". They are the northwest version of the black flies, a little smaller, and each of their legs are tipped with white. Evil little biters!

Well, I know what it means to want to live in a place where life is simpler and less crowded, with moose walking through your yard, and bears raiding the trash cans. Best wishes to you all and may "Happy" be found by all of you!

P.S.

I have two great friends from the Tenth Corps (they are married) who live up in Madawaska, ME up near the Canadian border. He has kept me somewhat in touch with Maine over the years...

quote:
I have two great friends from the Tenth Corps (they are married) who live up in Madawaska, ME up near the Canadian border. He has kept me somewhat in touch with Maine over the years...

When we talk about that part of Maine we just refer it as "Up in the county". Aroostook county is as big as a lot of states.

My family was part of the very first settlers of Madawaska Maine. Madawaska means "Land of the porcupines" in Mic-Mac.

Hey Onion,

Thanks for the warm welcome! icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

I'm not too worried about the economy since Bangor is 30 minutes away, and the University of Maine is 20 minutes away. Since we are buying this house so cheaply I'd only need to make half what I make now.

Anyway we won't be moving there right away and may just rent it out for a while. But I can't wait to move up there, Maine is beautiful.

Johnny Lingo said;

"Yup Maine sounds wonderful."

Hi Johnny, I met you and your wife once while I was a wow in Juneau 84/85. You guys are great folks.

Maine is quite wonderful and so is Alaska which my wife and I considered moving too also, but we have relative in NE so we went for Maine.

They have a saying in Maine;

"Maine, the way life should be"

And Wackey, we'll have to get together ole friend, when we finally make the move.

quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Lingo:

Hey there Outin88,

You have me wonderin who you are of course...Private topics?..

Clue: This is Outin88's wife. I helped you send Miceal to New Zealand for his graduation assignment. I also played a rousing game of softball w/your wife in Juneau in '85!

Just for sake of Maine Way-fer history, I was the first person ...

to sign up for...

the first PFAL class...

that was ever run in the state.

I was born an' raised in Maine. It's on my birth certificate - so i can prove that I ain't no counterfit'. But bein'from the County, I must admit that our accents up there are VERY different from Southern Maine.

I hardly ever get back.

I did spend three weeks in Rumford hospital in 1971 after I broke my leg during the State Ski Meet, jumping. icon_frown.gif:(--> Still got the limp, even today.

I want to fly up to Aroostook again, this summer. - Maybe. Still have a few relatives there. Beautiful country. Some of the best on the face of the earth. That's a fact.

I left Maine in mid 1975 after being at the U of ME, Orono... so there is a good chance that I don't know any of you that are there now. There were only a handful of believers there when I left to go WOW.

Edited by Too Gray Now