GreaseSpot Cafe

Maine

Daggoo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been staying in Maine for the past few weeks. I just came back down to Ct for a couple days to quickly visit the family and I will be returning this weekend. I hope to get electricity installed in a few weeks, to our new property, maybe then I will be able to visit GS more often.

See everyone in Unity in September.

:-)

Outin88!:

"Galen,

Are you still moving to Old Town? Well be fairly close to you from Howland."

Yeah.

I have been roto-tilling, digging drainage trenches and burning brush, etc. Burcitous been hurting my elbow, and then I chipped a bone in the palm of my hand. But I am still in the process of making a new home there.

Kind of even found a nice group of guys at the American Legion hall there in Old Town too.

:-)

Hi Wackey,

We just closed on the house in Howland, and are renting it out for a while. Not sure when we can move up there, but hopefully it's sooner then later.

I look forward to meeting all the Mainers when we finally make the move.

Galen sounds like your making progress, any ETA?

Hey Outin88!!! wave.gif:wave:-->

I found another, more awesome house in Vermont, but bid too low and lost it.

That was in March and I'm still mourning it icon_frown.gif:(-->

I hope you can get up here by September...the Common Ground Fair is heaps of fun. I hang at the Wednesday Spinners' tent...I get in free and this year will try to sell my stuff too.

I've been dyeing cranberries down here, and just made a ton of money over the past week selling "cape cod cranberry yarn"... icon_smile.gif:)-->

Innovative.

Can't wait to see you.

Whatcha gonna do in Maine? Where are your folks and siblings now?

Hi Wackey,

Glad your doing well. And looking forward to seeing you again.

No timetable yet on moving, but maybe a year or two. My oldest has a year of school before he graduates, so after that we'll see about moving. The folks are livin in NH now and everyone's doing fine.

The common ground fair sounds great, but not sure I'll be able to go. icon_frown.gif:(-->

But were really lloking forward to moving "Down East" It's clean and healthy there, the people are so friendly and we really love country living.

• 4 weeks later...

Outin-

It is great to her that you have been able to close.

How many bedrooms? etc? That is fairly close to me, we are in Argyle. My road goes North to Howland and South to Old Town.

I do hope that you can get over to the Unity Fair, it is called "MOGFA" (Maine Organic Growers and Farmers Assoc), and is lots of fun.

Hi Wackey and Galen,

The house is a 3 bedroom with a small office, a full basement and 2 baths. It's on a hlf achre of land with a large shed.

My wife and I are anxious to move in, but for now, my 17 year old son wants to finish school here. So the hope is that when he graduates, we'll be headin on Down East.

It would great to go to the fair and meet all the Mainers. Just have to wait a bit!

For now the house is being rented and we bought another home in AZ. which cost triple what we payed for the house in Howland Maine, even thought they are roughly the same size.

Anyway, thanks for askin, Were hoping that maybe within the year we'll be moved to Maine.

I just got my foundation done, and basement dug-out. I hope to have the frame up within the next two weeks, should have it skinned within a couple weeks after that. We ran the plumbing from the well into the foundation this morning.

I had to drive back down to Ct today as I have a medical appointment Friday, but I should be back in Maine by Monday and making head-way. It is possible that we may be wintering-over before you.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The fair was great.

Bonnie loved it. I loved it.

Exhaustive though. Bonnie sat for over an hour in the weavers tent learning to spin wool into thread.

So many hippys, wow.

Oxen-team pulls, horse-team pulls, Llamas, sheep, goats, rabbits, chickens, turkeys, oh my.

one-man saw-mills, composting toilets, multi-fuel home heating systems, wind-power systems, lots of folk living 'off-the-grid'.

Bought a bag of grains for making bread, from a family that works their farm using only horse-teams.

Everything there is organic.

Galen, I have been to Maine. I enjoyed Bar Harbor and the coastal region. Hope to get back up there next summer. Don't get snowbounded there. Thomas

Galen, I have been to Maine. I enjoyed Bar Harbor and the coastal region. Hope to get back up there next summer. Don't get snowbounded there. Thomas

I have made numerous trips up here during the past couple years, I really have not seen how the snow here is any worse than in Connecticut. We will see.

:D