GreaseSpot Cafe

Explorer & Hijacker problems

Abigail

My sitter really screwed my puter up last night. I've been working at fixing it for about 14 hours now.

1. I have at least one if not numerous adware hijackers. I've run adware and found them, but the program keeps freezing up when I try to delete them. I have been able to manually delete one (I think) but the rest are listed as Hkey type things.

2. I had 4 viruses last night. I think I have cleaned them all - at least the PC checker said I have, I am running McAfees now to do a more thorough search. I've reinstalled Windows 3 times now but cannot get my explorer program running. At least the puter doesn't show that it is running.

What version of Windows are you running? It helps to know that since each version has it's own set of unique quirks.

As far as the Internet Explorer (IE) Browser, you may need to reinstall it separately, depending on your version of Windows. I highly recommend switching to a non-Microsoft browser such as Mozilla, or Opera, or Eudora just to name a few that work very well. I use Mozilla myself, and I don't have any of the problems with it that I had with IE.

Also, have you tried Spybot Search & Destroy to eliminate the adware? Version 1.3 is the current version and (IMHO) is the best adware eliminator there is at present.

If you are using the free version of Adaware, it's actually cripleware (not fully functional). Spybot is free (of course they ask for donations) and very effective. The paid-for version of Adaware (as far as I know, I no longer use it) works as well as Spybot S&D.

My 2 cents...

Nomad888

Abigail,

Download this program, Hijackthis and put it in a folder on your desktop. Then run the program. It will produce a list that you can save as a text file. Save the text file and email it to me and I will let you know which of the results to delete.

This should catch a bunch of stubborn stuff that the other "spyware" program don't catch.

I am running Spybot now and deleting in small groups as the files come up in case the thing freezes up again.

It would appear I have managed to clean out a couple of hijackers but I am having difficulty with two - one is somehow attached to MSN and one to Netscape. Spybot keeps fixing them, but if I search again it finds them again. What makes this even more interesting is that we aren't using netscape or MSN.

Oh, its Windows 98SE.

The easiest way that I know of to get rid of annoying programs with Win98SE is to shut down the computer, then restart it in "Safe Mode".

What Safe Mode does is loads only a very basic version of Win98, but it does not load any adware, non-Microsoft drivers, or any other kind of software that you normally run on start-up. Even your anti-virus software will not auto load. You will have to start it manually to do the scan.

The good part about this is that you can run Spybot S&D, Adaware, McAfee Anti-virus, Norton Antivirus, etc, and they will be able to clean out the 'bots and bugs (viruses) without them reinstalling themselves. This works in 99% of cases.

To do this, start with an orderly shut down of your computer (Start button, then Shut Down from the menu - DO NOT simply turn off the power as this could cause Windows to become corrupted).

Next, turn the power back on and when the first boot screen appears on your monitor, begin pressing the F8 key over and over until the start menu appears. This may take several key presses and the CPU might beep at you, but keep on pressing F8 until the Start Menu appears.

At the Start Menu, either type the number of the "Start Windows in Safe Mode" line, or arrow down until that line is highlighted, then press ENTER. Windows will start in Safe Mode. Your monitor screen will be losded in 640 X 480, graphics resolution with the 16 color pallet, which will look really weird compared to what you're likely used to looking at, however NOTHING else except Windows itself should be running.

At this point, any program (like Spybot, or McAfee, etc...) you want to use can be ran on your computer, but you will have to start it up manually. Spybot, etc, will be able to remove everything they find without a restart and you won't have any of the 'bots or bugs reinstalling themselves after being deleted.

When you're done hunting down the 'bots and bugs, just do an orderly shutdown and restart normally. Everything should be returned to normal.

Some exceptions to this would be if you run software like Kazza, or DIVex (free version), which automatically installs Adware on your system as soon as it is ran.

Another exception would be if you're running AdSubtract with the "Show AdSubtract Toolbar in Internet Explorer" box checked. To do this, AdSubtract installs a 'bot called, "7Faast". In turn, 7Faast greatly slows your system down when downloading your information to it's servers behind your back. There are other programs that you could be running that would do this sort of thing as well. If so, you will need to delete them, or have the software vendor's Tech Support people help you fix the problem.

It would be a good idea to run Paw's anti-hijack program right after finishing the deletions, and again after the normal restart just to make sure you got everything.

That's all I can think of for now. Hope this helps...

Nomad888

Thanks Paw and Nomad. I got it fixed before I saw your last two posts, but the information is good to have anyway. Bluz also recomended the hijack this program so I will download it for future needs and check it out.

Spybot was able to get rid of the most offending hijacker (which it appears was preventing the adware program from running properly). I was then able to run adware which got rid of the problems spybot missed. After all of that was done I reinstalled windows and cleaned out all the junk.

I sure wish I knew about the safemode thing, as well as running Spybot first, about 16 hours ago! LOL

Boy am I learning quick about all this stuff. All of these years running my pc unprotected and never a problem - amazing when I think about it.

IN addition to Spybot, AdAware and McAfees, I just downloaded a free 15 day trial of Zone Alert, which is a firewall my sister recommended. Was wondering if anyone out there has had any experiences with it?

So far I am very pleased with it.

THat is too long to spend on a repair. Normally should only take a few hours and you should never have to reinstall.

One thing often overlooked when combatting Spyware and Viruses. Unplug your Internet connection until you are all clean, especially if you have high speed. Some of those will go back out and get more "friends" before you are done. They can't if you have no Internet connected.

Spybot / Ad Aware / Spysites / Spywareblaster / Norton Antivirus 2004 / Firewall.

Using these simple tools I have eliminated all possibility of problems for months on end.

But that leaves us with Spam. Try using Yahoo or Hotmail. They have become pretty good at blocking Spam.

Sometimes I wonder if computers are worth all the fuss.

Oh, and PS - get XP Home and ditch the almost obsolete windows 98.