GreaseSpot Cafe

The Polar Express

satori001

I knew it was a kid's movie, but because Hanks is in it, and because it's been hailed as a new "classic" by so many critics, I saw it last weekend.

Sorry, it's crap. The cartoonized effect was interesting, and the "special effects" overall were good, but the story could have been written on a candy wrapper.

Oh, satori, I am so shattered. How bad is it? I was hoping for one of those dazzling, sappy, touching, superficial Christmas stories that make for a good family outing, especially for kids (ages 13, 15, and 20) who have long outgrown the story, but still love it anyway.

Did you see the 3D version or the regular? Would it make any difference?

I think the 3D experience would have provided depth to the visuals, not, unfortunately, to the story.

laleo, I also think seeing it with children would add some vicarious enjoyment. Kids may spoil that pleasure by trying to make sense of the plot afterward, asking the unanswerable. But it is "dazzling, sappy, touching, superficial," and then some.

Raf, if you like stereotypes and cliches, The Polar Express is for you.

I can't imagine having seen this in 2-D, but I have to tell you that in 3-D it is an awesome, awesome ride. That scene in the beginning, with the emergency brake, man, you feel like that train is going to hit you right in the head! The snow, the dancing waiters, the roller coaster ride, the Forrest Gump effect with the lost ticket: I cannot tell you what a difference it made.

You're absolutely right about the story: it fell flat. Nice ending, but my most fundamental test concerning a movie takes place three days later. Here's the test.

Three days after you've seen a movie, any movie, name a character. If you can, it may well still be a lousy movie. Or it may be great. But if you can't, then I guarantee you it was a lousy movie.

Or you have ADD. One or the other.

I couldn't name a character in Polar Express if you paid me.

Raf, That's what I've heard from people I've talked to, also. The story ain't gonna show up in any academy award nominations...but the 3D details are fantastic.

I sure hope this 3D trend continues....would LOVE to see a Harry Potter movie in 3D!!!

A GREAT movie in 3D!!!!

We all enjoyed it...kids and adults!!!

It would not have been as great without the 3D, though.

However...I and the folks I live with all have the ability to view these kinds of things with a child-like perspective.

Had we been doctrinal, pragmatic, or anything less than having FUN...we woulda poo-pooed it. As it was....we enjoyed it for what it is...a light hearted journey into xmas and childhood beliefs.

LOVED it!!!!

• 2 weeks later...