GreaseSpot Cafe

Same sex marriage-Massachusetts

J0nny Ling0

Some points that have gotten missed, then I'll leave it to you again:

The government cannot stop you from having sex with whomever you want, in whatever orifice you prefer, regardless even of close blood relationship, as long as both parties consent.

The government cannot stop you from living with whomever you want, in singular or plural, as long as all parties consent.

The government certainly cannot stop you from LOVING whomever you want.

The government in the USA allows for certain nonmarried people to claim "Head of Household" status in order to be taxed at the lower married rates.

In light of those, marriage would seem to be purely a religious ceremony, outside the notice of the state.

Except for the children.

Who really pays the price for any marriage benefit? Single people. Why should they? It's advantageous to promote the continuation of society through the birth of children, one example being that young workers pay into the Social Security/old age pension plans that support senior citizens today, and their children will pay into it for their generation. Single people as well as childless couples still must pay property taxes for the schools because it is advantageous to society to make sure children are educated. (Yes, it isn't working too well today, but you get the idea...)

So, the state has a quite tangible interest in subsidizing marriage for the sole purpose of perpetuating the society. Extending the marriage benefit to those whose union does not normally foster the birth and care of children is a needless drain on society. Besides, those homosexual couples that do adopt children receive the same dependent deductions on their income taxes that hetero parents (married or single) receive, so they are not penalized if they do manage to acquire a child. (To a lesser extent, marriage subsidizes women as caregivers, too, but that's been touched on in other posts.)

The civil argument then becomes akin to single and childless couples clamoring to be exempt from school-based property taxes, having no kids in the schools they're paying for. Sorry, but that's the price we all pay for living in society.

So, live, love, f***** as you choose. Life, liberty, pursuit of happiness and all that. If a church wants to call you "married"--good for you. But if you want an unmerited piece of the public pie, you had better come up with a better reason.

Wow Zixar,

That's about as logical an argument as I have seen as far as opposition to same sex marriage is concerned. One of many good arguments, but perhaps the best reason of all. I started this thread, and I brought up a point that I thought should be a concern, in my first post. I brought it up a couple of more times, but only a few thought it as something to be concerned about, and maybe it's not such a big deal. But by what you have just said here, I see all the more reason to be against this whole thing. I have a wife and four kids, and I am thankful for the tax exemptions I get for my marital status and my kids.

And now, I thank all of you single people out there who carry an extra tax burdin in order to help perpetuate our society with educated and responsible kids who will grow up and carry theball when we all be "geezin". I pray to God daily that my wife and I are doing a good enough job as a parents. Hope we don't let all of you "single extra tax paying Citizens" down...

I am a-mazed........

Doesn't anyone get it????

This is about MONEY!!!!!!!!!! The homosexual agenda is HEALTH CARE, surviviors estates, etc, it's about MONEY!!!!

You think health insurance is unaffordable now??? Wait till the cost of treating AIDS begins to be "spread". Oh yeah baby.... and before the ACTUAL costs are figured ... we'll be paying for the ESTIMATED costs...

Currently insurance compamies can exclude "pre-existing conditions" but when it's a "spouse" in a company policy... all bets are off.

Yeah.... and you can bet this is all a prelude to government sponsored universal health care... Brought to you by... the same folks that bring you:

the Post Office

the Court/justice system

airport security

your car tags

$10,000 toilet bowls

etc

etc

etc

Everything else said about "gay marriage" is SMOKE.... to incite emotions... it's all about MONEY.

what about the fact of enforcing child support and vistation when the union ends? Or social security if a parent dies? or family health benefits? marriage would allow these matters to addressed fairly and within the laws we have already .

I am not for same sex marriage yet these issues concern me and need to be addressed.

yes it is about money and if these resposibiliies can not be meant how many more will be entitled to medicade and welfare benefits ?

Edited by Guest

Zixar

the insurance is often one that is paid for by the state . esp if born with Aids , the US govt benefits are the only one who cover the outrageous long term expense of Aids . 'regular insurance runs out very quickly and often the person is not able to work and collect the social security money they get for having the diagnoses.

this allows them to be eleigble for gvt insurance from the state that has zero limits.

Hiv infection is when you start collecting the money and the treatments to keep you out of the Aids stage and death . we can treat HIV it is very expensive as the medicines and test. are almost in constant flux and change to keep up with the virus.

I have a friend who has been positive since 84 and never been in the hospital and his daughter who is 15 has never even been ill from a aids related illness. pretty good medicine here where I live tho we have a major university . both collect social security both have all meds paid for by the state dad works under the table to maintain their benefits.

what law enforces child support from a same sex partner?

social securtiy does not go to the same sex partner or a child as far as I know where do you guys think this? again additional court orders would have to be held it isnt a LAW! or a benefit.

where ? if a mom dies dad gets social security if a dad dies mom gets social security and the case of who has the children is not a question in same sex it is far more complex as only one parent has adopted or has the genes that make them a parent the other is left out in the cold.

What company do you know of that allows for medical benefits for a same sex partner? some do but very very few . many times the children have to be "legal" and in same sex marriages only ONE adopts or has common genes what if that isnt the one who has the job for the insurance? a man and wife get it because it is a family policy and it is assumed by either the man or the woman as a "family' policy.

you guys say that but it isnt true . It is not in the law that these children recieve the same benefits a hetrosexual family would get.

quote:
You think health insurance is unaffordable now??? Wait till the cost of treating AIDS begins to be "spread".

Al...

I beg to differ darlin'. Healthcare is big money no matter who's agenda it is. Every disease costs lots of money to treat; cancer, MS, muscular dystrophy, alzeimer's disease (sp), mental illness...and the list goes on and on. My son's meds for his ADHD would cost me $270 a month if it wasn't for good 'ol John Deere, and I still have a $35 co-pay for each med because there is no generic.

Also, in case you haven't seen any statistics lately, AIDS insn't the ''gay'' disease anymore, so to allude that it is is misinformation.

Peace.

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

''...show a little faith, there's magic in the night, you ain't a beauty, but hey, you're alright, oh, and that's alright with me...''

-Bruce Springsteen

Right!

But a step child may have benefits from his dead parent or child support from the other parent. and vistation granted to keep the relationship intact! that is right see what iM saying now?

It leaves the children from these gay or lesbian families is a much more difficult place.

they do split and children are involved and it does get ugly as all break ups can . vistation from the only other parent and in some cases the primary care giver is not a law, grand parents aunts etc. child support and standard of living may decrease beyond a reasonable measure without child support enforcement. and medical benefits cannot be granted etc.

these are the only parents the child knows and it is their only family . They have in some cases no rights by law to see brothers or sisters they grew up with or the only other parent or family in their life! In a legal marriage these are considered rights by law and dealt with in a split. Children without these laws can not get the same rights our other children have and are left to the mercy of the fighting couple, and I feel this is a very serious issue .

I know many step parents fill the role of an absent parent but the other real parent still must by law uphold financial support and does have rights to the child. In homosexual relationships none of these laws are assumed and YET this is the ONLY other parent the child has a relationship with.

[This message was edited by mj412 on February 13, 2004 at 13:50.]

[This message was edited by mj412 on February 13, 2004 at 13:52.]

Edited by Guest

mj412,

Again, you are confusing issues. Responsibility for child support does not depend on a relationship between adults. It depends on the relationship of an adult to a child. The same is true regarding visitation rights, health insurance coverage of children, and social security survivor’s benefits to children. All of those are already covered by existing law and practice, and none of them depend upon current or former marital status. Marriage gives no inherent rights or responsibilities regarding someone else’s children. (See examples below.)

Example 1: John has two young children. Mary has two young children. John and Mary marry, and share parental responsibilities, but neither adopts the other’s children. Ten years later, John and Mary divorce, having never had a child together. All the children are still minors. John has no rights or responsibilities regarding Mary’s children, and Mary has no rights or responsibilities regarding John’s children. John’s children have no rights regarding Mary’s children, and vice versa.

Example 2: Jake has two young children. Mike has two young children. Jake and Mark live together, as partners in a homosexual relationship, and share parental responsibilities, but neither adopts the other’s children. Ten years later, they break up. All the children are still minors. Jake has no rights or responsibilities regarding Mike’s children, and Mike has no rights or responsibilities regarding Jake’s children. Jake’s children have no rights regarding Mike’s children, and vice versa.

Regarding rights and responsibilities towards or of the children, it makes no difference that John and Mary are heterosexual and Jake and Mike are homosexual. It also makes no difference that John and Mary were married and Jake and Mike were not. It also makes no difference whether or not the mother of John, Jake, or Mike’s children or the father of Mary’s children, is still living or still involved in any way. The issues in both examples are identical, and neither sexual preference nor marriage changes them. They’d be the same if John, or any other of the parent’s respective children were adopted, rather than biological. The only thing that would change the issues would be for one parent to adopt the children of another parent.

Spousal benefits, what few there are, are a different matter. They are perquisites of marriage, granted by society, as a support for an institution that is a benefit to society. They aren’t something to which everyone is inherently entitled.

Edited by Guest

Long Gone:

I was not aware that GS was the exclusive preserve of Americans or that non-American people were not allowed to make comments.

Well tough s**t. No passports or visas are required here to be able to debate what is an important topic for all my gay brothers and sisters who are Americans.

If you want to comment on our system you can do so, it's no skin off my nose.

Thanks no doubt to TWI I have long been interested in America and things American. We no doubt get much more news over here about what is happening over there than the other way around.

No doubt I should tell Tony Blair to immediately withdraw all co-operation and support to the USA because you wish to revert to being isolationist?

That post was just so childish - grow up.

Trefor Heywood

"Cymru Am Byth!"

The posts about children I will leave to those who want to argue about them.

I don't believe that is the prime issue regarding same sex marriage as many partners would be couples rather than families,

The argument about money I find to be cynical, whereas money may be involved, it is still the issues of legal recognitions and protections. I have seen enough heterosexual marriages that are all about money and enough where the bearing and raising of children was not the intent.

I could argue civil fairness until I am blue in the face but verily it falleth upon deaf ears.

It is such a pity that heterosexual and religious majority rule feels it necessary to alienate and discriminate against a section of its own citizens.

Sometimes I am really glad I am not an American.

Trefor Heywood

"Cymru Am Byth!"

A good point mstar1 - when people don't like it then it is a national issue and yet when people do like it it a state's rights issue.

Having your nose closer to the ground than many of us you may well be better enfranchised to keep some people the the original topic of the thread.

Trefor Heywood

"Cymru Am Byth!"

Trefor,

I’m more than willing to discuss any topic with you, as I have demonstrated in this thread. I’m not willing to quietly endure your accusations of bigotry, your dismissal of honest, reasonable discussion as "the same old rehash of stuff," your comparisons to slavery, and especially, your criticism of our form of government and disregard for the will of the people, who still are supreme in this country, even when they don’t realize it. (Enough of us, acting together, can do anything we please, including abolishing our current system of government and establishing another.)

mstar1,

That’s “Hear, hear!” (As in, “Give ear to what he says!”)

You’re wrong about the rest of us being in the same boat as Trefor. No matter what any of us in the US do, it will not be binding upon the people of any other country. What you folks in Massachusetts do could very well be binding upon the people of every other State, and of the United States as a whole. I think you know that. If not, it has been adequately discussed previously in this thread.

Long gone

your last paragraph is all I bothered to read as your the one who is confused in my opinion.

If allowed to marry homosexuals would have those same rightand LAWS concerning the family unit which are quite serious and often needed to maintain the welfare of the children and spouse in a lawful and fair manner.

Marriage of homosexuals would allow these same entitlements and laws to them as any other marriage is entitled. this is a reason they want to be legaly married .

mary and john adopt a child together .

john and tom can not .

John dies mary gets some nice social security check for herself and the children of that marriage.

John dies Tom recieves zero social security benefits for himself or the child they raised together.

John leaves mary for another mary nails him for child support and half the property .

John leaves Tom tom has the child an no child support and a lose of a major financial contribution to the family income.

Mary leaves John and takes the kid and in the divorce a plan is made to allow the child both parent equal time for the parent to fullfill their resposiblity and love for the child .

John leaves Tom and takes the child and no vistation orders are ordered by law and the child is now without his right to the other half of his family unit.

Tom has major medical insurance at his job but because it was John sperm they used in the surrogate parenting Tom is not the parent and is not married to John so benefits are denied to the family. no this is not the same as a step family as a step child has another parent. these are the parents of the child and the parents must go through additional court hearing and requsts to be given the same rights and laws any other parent would have in life.

these are just a few examples of the unfairness homosexual families must face.

if allowed to marry homosexuals would have the same laws and rights and entitlements married people have today .

[This message was edited by mj412 on February 13, 2004 at 21:27.]

Edited by Guest

Massachusetts Marriage Debate Dead Ends

by Gary Schneeberger, editor

SUMMARY: Lawmakers end two-day, 18-hour session with more

work to do on preserving the traditional definition of

marriage.

BOSTON -- The Massachusetts Legislature ended more than 18

hours of debate over two days early this morning without

arriving at a decision on allowing their constituents to

have a say in how marriage is defined in the Bay State.

Lawmakers adjourned the constitutional convention that

began Wednesday, during which time they were to consider

the Marriage Affirmation and Protection Amendment, just

after midnight without actually ever discussing that

measure. In fact, liberals ensured the session ended in

gridlock by launching a filibuster for the last hour of

Thursday's debate.

The convention is scheduled to reconvene March 11 to

continue consideration of how best to answer last

November's Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court (SJC)

ruling that denying homosexual couples marriage licenses

violates the state constitution.

Speaker of the House Thomas Finneran, considered an ally

of pro-family activists on this issue, said it's not

surprising a final resolution has yet to be reached.

"No one should expect that decisions of this magnitude

would be made casually or quickly," he said. "Our efforts

will continue."

But Ron Crews, president of the Massachusetts Family

Institute and chief spokesman of the Coalition for

Marriage, said he was "very disappointed" that lawmakers

have at least temporarily ignored the thousands of people

who have made it clear they want to vote to protect the

traditional definition of marriage as the union of one

man and one woman.

"A lot of citizens are going to wake up (today) very upset

because their legislators haven't done what they were

elected to do," Crews told CitizenLink. "This was very

clearly an attempt by the (Legislature's) leadership to

prevent members of this body from voting on the 'Ma & Pa.'

"

Not only was the 'Ma & Pa' -- the colloquial name for the

Marriage Affirmation and Protection Amendment -- not voted

on, it wasn't even discussed. Instead, debate over the

course of the convention's two days centered on four

alternative proposals, three of which were voted down by

slim majorities of the joint session of the House and

Senate. Passage of amendment language would be the first

step to a statewide ballot question in 2006.

Each of the alternative measures mentioned in some fashion

civil unions -- either explicitly creating them as the

equivalent of traditional marriage in the constitution or

noting that the Legislature could, at a later date, choose

to enact them separately. Such efforts were designed to

appease pro-gay pressure groups and lawmakers who support

special rights for homosexuals, who contended that the Ma

& Pa, by simply restricting marriage to the union of a man

and a woman, would forever outlaw any legal recognition of

same-sex unions by any other name.

Two civil-unions proposals -- one from Finneran (which

said the Legislature would consider such arrangements at a

later date) and one from Senate President Robert

Travaglini (which would have created civil unions in the

constitution), were defeated Wednesday; a third, from Rep.

Philip Travis, the sponsor of the 'Ma & Pa,' was defeated

103-96 on Thursday.

Ironically enough, homosexual activist groups opposed all

three proposals, arguing that anything less than full

marital rights left them as victims of discrimination.

Travis, whose compromise proposal simply would have said

that nothing in the bill would "require or prohibit civil

unions in Massachusetts," grew increasingly frustrated as

Thursday wore on and it became clear his colleagues were

moving toward adjournment without agreeing to put any

measure before the voters.

"I will not you get off the hook on the question of

marriage," he vowed in a speech from the floor of the

House chamber. "You will not escape the wrath of the

general public. You will not be able to face them when you

go back home."

The only constituents lawmakers had to face inside the

State House, in the immediate wake of their vote to

adjourn, was a throng of nearly 200 homosexual activists

who spent the majority of the day Thursday clogging the

main hallway outside the House chamber while chanting

slogans like "No Discrimination" and singing such songs as

"The Star-Spangled Banner" and "This Land is Your Land."

Pro-family activists, who gathered in impressive numbers

Wednesday, were in short supply Thursday -- their absence

explained by one protest organization as a function of

their only being able to take one day off of work to

monitor the proceedings. A handful prayed quietly in the

State House basement.

Had they been paying attention to the chaos upstairs, much

of what they would have heard would have surely upset

them. Lawmakers favoring full marriage rights for

homosexuals chewed up the lion's share of Thursday's

debate time, equating the denial of such rights to

everything from the enslavement of blacks to the policies

of Nazi Germany to the moral milieu of the novel "The

Scarlet Letter." An openly lesbian representative

philosophized on how marriage, historically, has been an

"evolutionary creation." And another gay-marriage

supporter questioned the wisdom of letting the people vote

on such an emotionally charged issue, noting that when

Pontius Pilate tried that approach the people demanded he

free Barabbas instead of Jesus.

One of the sole bright spots for those with a traditional

view of marriage and family was Rep. Marie Parente,

D-Milford, one of the senior members of the House, who

chided fellow lawmakers for saying that it was improper to

debate the issue from a religious perspective. In fact,

stories about racism and sexism and all sorts of other

-isms, she said, only underscore the need for God.

"Men fail -- that's why we need to talk about God once in

awhile," she explained. "When I was a child, there was a

guy who went to school with me every day, and He never

failed me. But I'm not even supposed to say His name to

you in here."

When Parente and her colleagues reconvene the

constitutional convention next month, the matter before

them will be a fourth civil-unions compromise measure, one

that establishes such arrangements as providing "entirely

the same benefits, protections, rights and

responsibilities that are afforded to couples married

under Massachusetts law." That's language the Coalition

for Marriage cannot support, Crews said, although he added

he has some hope Travis' original amendment might still be

heard.

"We now have a recorded vote on this matter, so we know a

little better now who is with us and who we need to talk

to," he said. "We have some work to do over the next

month, but I believe that this will be a wake-up call to

some people out there who are concerned about the family."

TAKE ACTION: It is more important than ever that the

members of the Massachusetts Legislature here from Bay

State residents about the importance of preserving the

traditional definition of marriage.

1) Call and e-mail Massachusetts state lawmakers and tell

them to let the people vote on the Marriage Affirmation

and Protection Amendment. If you live in Massachusetts,

you can compose an e-mail that will be sent to your

members of the Legislature at:

http://capwiz.com/fof/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=4194006

All Americans, though, have a stake in this issue, because

if the court's decision stands, homosexual couples from

any state who receive marriage licenses in Massachusetts

could demand that their home states recognize those

so-called marriages. So, no matter where you live, if you

want to send e-mail to Massachusetts lawmakers. You can do

that at:

http://www.family.org/cforum/feature/A0028893.cfm

You will be taken to a list of e-mail addresses you can

copy and paste into an e-mail, allowing you to reach every

legislator with one e-mail. Additionally, Massachusetts

residents and all Americans should also call the state's

lawmakers. To reach a lawmaker's Capitol office, call the

Capitol switchboard at 617-722-2000 and ask for the

senator or representative by name. You can find district

office phone numbers at:

http://www.family.org/cforum/feature/A0028892.cfm

2) You also can contact your U.S. congressman and senators

and urge them to support a marriage-protection amendment

to the U.S. Constitution. For complete information about

the Federal Marriage Amendment, including sample e-mails

you can send to your elected officials in light of last

Tuesday's court ruling in Massachusetts, please see the

Stop Judicial Tyranny Action Center:

http://www.family.org/cforum/judicial_tyra...tion.cfm?pt=fma

===================

Gary Schneeberger

Editor

Pete Winn

Associate Editor

Trish Amason

Editorial Coordinator

Peter Brandt

Director, Issues Response

Tom Minnery

Vice President, Public Policy

Don Hodel

President and CEO, Focus on the Family

Dr. James C. Dobson

Founder and Chairman, Focus on the Family

---------------------------------

Copyright © 2004, Focus on the Family. All rights reserved. International copyright secured. CitizenLink is a policy and culture information service of Focus on the Family, a ministry sustained by the contributions and prayers of supporters. This e-mail may not be used for commercial or political purposes.

Subscribers are encouraged to send this e-mail to others and/or print it in its entirety, without any changes, for noncommercial and nonpolitical use only. Because of the time-sensitive nature of the material published in this e-mail newsletter, subscribers are permitted to reprint individual articles in their entirety, without any changes, for noncommercial and nonpolitical use only. Individual articles must be accompanied by the author's byline, as well as the following copyright information:

"Copyright © 2004, Focus on the Family. All rights reserved. International copyright secured. This article appeared in CitizenLink Daily Update published (date), a policy and culture information service of Focus on the Family. For more information, see www.citizenlink.org."

For all other reprint requests, please send your request in writing to family-permission@custhelp.com or by fax at 719-531-3391.

CitizenLink does not regularly print letters to the editor, but if you would like to submit a comment or question, send it to citizenlink@family.org. PLEASE NOTE: Due to the volume of e-mails we receive, it is possible that we may not be able to respond to your e-mail.

If you would like further information on Family News in Focus stories, call (800) 782-8227..0

this is to help people hear what is the issue and to speak directly with those who will decide .

[This message was edited by mj412 on February 17, 2004 at 10:05.]

Edited by Guest