GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Ive been too busy kicking back at Dodger Stadium-at least what's left of the Dodger Stadium I know and love. The new owners have turned it into an advertising blitz, including a wrap around the field video screen that bombards you with ads all game long, and just in case you're watching the game, tells you that every Dodger pitching strike out is brought to you by Kraft -'K'.

If I'm bored by the ads , I can listen to the deafening rock music that has mostly replaced the beloved Nancy Bea on the organ-oh they still let her play 'take me out to the ball game' in the 7 th inning, but is mostly silenced the rest of the game.

I also can't tell who is on the field. After dismantling the team that won the division last year, there was literally one player in yesterdays starting lineup that wasn't new.

And just so you don't get too familiar with them, they've decided to take the names off the backs of the jerseys, so you really can't tell the players without a scorecard.

The Dodgers started the season 12-2, and were they ever crowing about the baseball genius of the new owners. Since then they've lost almost every series and are back near .500 and

falling.

Parking now costs 10 bucks, and Dodger Dog prices have been raised, but they're still usually cold and mealy.

Having said all that-it's still the best setting for baseball Ive ever seen. I still enjoy the balmy summer evening, watching the sun set over the san gabriel mountains, in a stadium that is about as 'family friendly' as one will find.

Tho I'm a Yankee fan from childhood, I'd love to see the Orioles maintain their momentum and win this year. Same with the White Sox.

Yeah,the corporate suits sure got their ugly claws into America's pastime...Nothing I hate worse than when they call baseball a "product" rather than a game...Frankly,I hope the damn thing loses mainstream popularity big time...Then maybe salaries will go down,Kraft foods will look for a new venue,steroids and ballooning statistics will be a distant memory,and tickets and parking will once again be affordable to the true-blue fans...

I hope so, it would be nice to actually go to a game without having to take out a mortgage. Its actually almost as cheap for me to fly to Toronto, get a hotel for the weekend and see a whole series than to get into a single game at Fenway these days.

PS-thanks for getting that NHL Hockey off the top Ive been thinking the same thing

Hey,you're welcome,mstar...Don't get me wrong,I thought there was nothing more riveting than the whole world watching the Red Sox come back and beat the Yankees and win the championship last year...I just miss those summer weeknight(or in the case of Wrigley,weekdays),spontanious "let's go to the ballgame" plans when you could walk up to the window,buy a good,cheap ticket and enjoy yourself without planning months in advance or cancelling your summer vacation...

quote:
I just miss those summer weeknight(or in the case of Wrigley,weekdays),spontanious "let's go to the ballgame" plans when you could walk up to the window,buy a good,cheap ticket and enjoy yourself without planning months in advance or cancelling your summer vacation...

Amen and amen, perfectly said--those are the days that fanned my love for the game, up until about 5 years ago you could still do it, and there was nothing better than it all happening in the moment.

I wouldn't trade the run of last October for anything, but it will be a while before anyone can breeze over to the park on a whim without spending at least a few hundred, which is a loss and takes a great aspect of the game away..

Im no huge fan of interleague play, but I don't consider them evil either.

The worst part of the schedule is that we've gone from not playing enough games within divisions, to an extreme schedule where many teams only make one trip to cities outside their division. And the amount of interleague games is simply not necessary or interesting enough to make it worthwhile.

I think †he Yankees and Red Sox play each other something like 26 times. As much as I'm in favor of head to head divisional games, that seems excessive to me.

I am looking forward to seeing the Tigers and Twins at Dodger Stadium this week. Of course I can always drive south to Angel Stadium -not every community has teams in both leagues.

19 then 7 in the playoffs ---yea 26...but 19 of everyone within the division, I think everyone has got that

i guess I didn't mean evil exactly its jsut tough on both teams -playing under different sets of rules-and seems to break up the rhythms of teams that are trying to find their strides at this time of year...

I don't know how they figure who plays who either, but since teams from the same division dont necessarily play the same teams in the other league --some draw stronger teams , others weaker-it affects division standings in a nonequal way.

I liked it when there was 10 teams per league 18 games against each team and the only time you saw the other league was at the AllStar Game and World Series ( and they had the same rules) but that ain't gonna happen again soon

Well,there you go mstar...Just when I thought I'd kicked my post-a-day habit,you gotta bring up interleague play...Why not send Raf a carton of smokes while you're at it?...

Bosox and Cubbies square off at that Holy Ground,known to most as Wrigley Field,at 11:30 Arizona time...Should be a prelude to the World Series,...for the year 3005...

I kinda like the interleague play,although,a lot of the problems with it would be solved if the AL would simply get rid of the designated hitter altogether...I don't necessarily want to see Matt Clement bat again,but it might be cool to see Bronson Arroyo trying to dig in against Carlos Zambrano with runners on the corners and two outs....

or the NL would adopt it....

Al pitchers dont take batting seriously....2 days of BP b/4 interleague play doesn't cut it....i doubt Arroyo will dig in against anyone... then you have to find somewhere in the field for the DH (Ortiz) to play...defense suffers...hot guys(Millar and Olerud) don't fit in the lineup.....the NL holds a decided advantage in its park...

It will be cool to see the Sox -Cubs though.

This is a good weekend for baseball, maybe a good series to break your posting fast,since this only happens once every 90 years or so...

Sox have playing like the guys Ive always known--- you never quite know what you're gonna get--brilliance or atrocity

and o yea thanks for the reminder the smokes gotta go to Baghdad

Yeah,the Cubs usually are agressive at the plate...don't know how to work the count...Michael Barrett just stuck one in the ivy...welcome to Wrigley....I've kinda liked the atmosphere of the game...Almost like a beer league game...I just answered the phone and missed that "3-unassisted,hit for Patterson"...It's wierd that a batter gets awarded a hit and the firstbaseman a putout on the same play...

I saw Maddux pitch at Dodger Stadium a couple weeks ago from a seat right behind home plate. It was a classic case of a great pitcher not having his best 'stuff' but winning through experience and guile.

I can't remember when I've enjoyed watching a pitching performance so much. The guys behind me couldn't figure it out. They post the post the speed and type of pitch on every pitch, and they were saying this guy sucks for throwing an 82 mph fastball.

Going to see the Twins at Dodger Stadium tomorrow. I've always liked the twins. A small market team that's almost always competitive and have more world series trophies in the last 15 years than most 'big market' teams.

it dawned on me that there are college graduates who grew up in LA that have never seen the Dodgers in the World Series, yet the Dodgers are always touting their winning history.

Well, they were close last year, and a darn nice team was coming together, before the new owners blew it up.

And that's the sports for today.

quote:
"3-unassisted,hit for Patterson

It was a strange play--first time I've seen that in awhile---

I've always as opportunity arrises like sitted behind the plate for a great pitcher, I saw Pedro twice last year, although he is not the same guy of 99-00, it is like watching an artist at work.

Unlike watching the current sox staff...

Hows Embrees speed?

Great , his last pitch left the park at 100MPH

I've never much cared for the renovated Yankee Stadium. Removing the copper facade, with a reminder of it in center field has always bothered me. The bleacher seats behind the monuments are so far away you may as well not be there.

Still it is Yankee Stadium, and even the most rabid Yankee hater seems to respect the history.

I understand the new park will be returning to the original facade-that's a good start. And at least it's not being built in Jersey.

Even Fenway is going to have to come down one of these days. That may be more traumatic than Yankee Stadium.

quote:
Even Fenway is going to have to come down one of these days. That may be more traumatic than Yankee Stadium.

The old owners made a pretty concerted effort about 6-8 years ago, going as far as building models and having internet sites of the "New Fenway" and announcing dates and such.. It raised a good size ruckus and something fell through..

The new ownership group spends a lot of time with the fans and seems to get it, that a great part of the allure, mystique and fun of the Red Sox is Fenway itself.

They have made 'improvements' that are sensitive to the architecture and overall feel of the place, and just recently announced that they are planning to stay there for the long term.

We'll see--but as long as these guys are around I think the Sox and Fenway are in good hands....

• 3 weeks later...

well... we've got a fine mess down here in stRanger land...

a local sports talk station is running a liner that goes "broken water cooler... broken pinkie... broken camera... when the Rangers break something, we'll break in"...

one of the beat writers here thinks they're about to implode... I hope not, they've got a lot of nice young talent, just not enough seasoned and talented pitchers... he thinks the combination of Buck's "creative tension" management style and the frustration the players are experiencing because the front office doesn't seem to want to make any moves has them close to imploding... again, according to him and he closed his interview with "think about it, in the last 100 games the Rangers have fought with the fans (Oakland chair throwing incident), fought with each other (Drese and Barahas in the dugout during a game) and fought the media (Rogers and the cameraman)...

I hope they can keep it together... this summer's gonna be hot anyway...