GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

quote:
Moreno has done nothing but improve the team, the stadium,and the area.

I think that is part of the picture that can't be overlooked.

In my eyes an owner has a certain amount of civic responsibility because of his position--it seems to me the ones that get it and move beyond just the dollars and cents, can not only have a huge positive impact on a city but can still parlay that kind of smarts and goodwill into a yet more profitable venture.

PS in trade rumors today-I heard the entire TexasRangers team, except for Kenny Rogers-- was being traded for 24 cameramen wink2.gif;)-->

So the Yankees get Chacon (1-7, 4.09 era) and sign Nomo to a minor league deal? I would've thought they would be in the AJ Burnett hunt... after all he knows how to pitch in Yankee Stadium icon_biggrin.gif:D--> Of course, they've got nobody to give the Marlins back except high priced guys... the farm's still barren... oh well... too bad, so sad!

I don't think so... even though there are a lot of fans that don't like his "I won't play the outfield" attitude, or his lack of concentration on routine plays (he makes the spectacular look routine the routine look difficult), or his lack of hustle when admiring a hit...

I wouldn't trade him... the extra inning win the other night was pretty much manufactured by him... got a hit, stole second and third, then scored... in the bottom of the inning a routine grounder "through the wickets"...

All in all, he is a valuable commodity, BUT he's not "a BUCK GUY" and that, coupled with the fact that they don't want to pay him what he's bound to get on his next contract... mean that they trade for pitching and prospects...

Hopefully, they'll be rough on whoever ends up trading with them... they are in a position of power with him as the bait...

...but I'd hate to see him go... I just wish he'd accept a shift to center field... I can see his point though, he keeps going to the All Star game at second so why switch? but he'd kill in centerfield with that speed...

Well in an annual rite as predictable as the coming of spring Manny wants to go too...It could be "Manny being Manny' and blow over in a few days and be forgotten, or trade him to anyone who will pay him....

Damon's probably gone at the end of this year-so Soriano in center would be an addition (if he would play there), can he play an outfield corner until then?

WTF is with all these moody players anyway?you'd think that $20mil/year would buy you a little loyalty....

the next two days until the trade deadline should be interesting

that's the whole thing mstar... he refuses to play anywhere but second... that's why Michael Young moved over to SS... EVERYBODY would love him unconditionally if he'd play the outfield but he won't... he's pretty much a butcher at second base but I still wouldn't trade him...

Wasn't it last year that Manny was waived, no body would pick him up, and then he's named WS MVP???

And on the ESPN site they're calling Damon "Johnny Cub"...

These are the days that try mens souls--the last few days before the deadline-players have been playing for a long time and have along way to go ---its hot... people are frustrated....It seems to happen every year....

I'm waiting to see who goes where....

who pulls it together and who falls apart.

EVERYBODY would love him unconditionally??? Holy Cow! nice town! I'll move there and play for free

quote:
Wasn't it last year that Manny was waived, no body would pick him up, and then he's named WS MVP???

Yea zactly, Manny is like a savant, probably the best natural hitter that I have ever seen, but subject to 'mannymoments', that depending on where you are are either endearing or maddening.

Last week he disappeared into the left field scoreboard for a pitch, or he tried to stretch a simple single into a double and he was out by 75 feet, or misplay a simple play in the field , or walking off the bag to grab his helmet and being tagged out--stuff like that...mental lapses mostly but with manny they aren't lapses --he lives there all the time. He is like a kid.

It is hard to be mad at him when the next inning he will drive aball 550 feet,make a great catch, or throw a runner out--- and is a generally good natured though simple 40HR 140RBI. guy.

I love the guy but over the last 4 years I've noticed that he is only really good when he is happy and thats a more complex matter than money.

His main beef now is that in sports obsessed Boston he has no personal life and can't do normal things without being mobbed..stuff like taking his kids to playground or his family out to eat....which in a way I can understand, he is a simple guy, but I dont know if would be any better for him many other places...

I'd hate to lose him-he is always fun to watch

I thought you'd like that... I heard that about Manny... but he sure could fix a lot of things that are wrong with the "we only score by homer" stRangers... he's an RBI machine that hits for power and carries what? a 320 average? but we'd have to try and hide him in left field...

something's going on that was not anticipated... hmmmm... we're playing Toronto tonight, Chan Ho's pitching and the place is full of Koreans... they even have some South Korean emissary there... BUT... CHAN HO IS A LAST MINUTE "SCRATCH" (without explanation).... hmmmmm

Chan Ho to San Diego for Phil Nevin... maybe we're going to use him to send him somewhere else... I don't know... he's a 1B but has played some catcher... we've got to send some cash along with Chan Ho although I don't know why, Nevin's making almost $10mil this season... I wonder if it has anything to do with Sosa's chiken S high spike slide into Barahas the other night... he hasn't played since...

oh yeah... Soriano just manufactured another run by drawing a wild pick off throw to first and going to third... scored on a grounder...

Watching Theo is almost as exciting as play on the field sometime (i've never had fun watching a front office guy until he showed up..) he is one sharp cookie and bold. I just hope that he doesn't overstep himself and have something backfire....

I think this is the time of year when Red Sox fans, even unbelieving Red Sox fans, start taking up praying in earnest, there are so many variables in all this that they can't even be counted...

Yup Gabe 'SuperJew' Kapler, (I didn't name him that -don't blame me) is back from Japan and ready to go on Sunday, adequate ++ in the outfield and by all reports a great teammate and clubhouse guy.

My big concern if Manny goes, is not so much losing his bat, although I do love to watch him, but more so the effect it will have on what is mostly a very tight and close team and the possibilities of upsetting a winning chemistry which has been the underlying source of the teams success...

The Cards may make a move. We got 4 guys on the DL since the break (Molina, Rolen, Sanders, and Walker) so talk is they may get an outfielder. Lot of names tossed out there (Austin Kearns, even Griffey, Willy Mo Pena, Matt Lawton, others) but no deal yet. I kind of hope Houston makes a race of it so the Cards won't lose their edge like they did last year.

2 Hours 37 minutes to go

LOL

this is one of the stRangest days of the year...

Manny now wants to stay icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> wink2.gif;)--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Manny being Manny

told you he was like a kid..

Im hearing Soriano to the Twins now

I think Manny will be staying put, but who knows?

I'd love to end the day with Adam Dunn from Cincinnati or Scott Kasmir from Tampa, or (pleeeeeeeeze....some middle relief).

o yea there is a game today icon_smile.gif:)-->

--I'm looking forward to seeing the highly touted John Papelbon make his first major league start--its an interesting day all the way around

quothe Manny: "I'm just here to play and win. I'm a gangster."... ??? that's Manny for ya! You guys gotta LOVE Francona!

We want Francisco Liriano from the Twins

quote:
Liriano is a a left-hander ranked as the 18th best prospect in the game by Baseball America in their recently updated Top 25. After a very successful stint in Double A to start the year, the 21 year old Dominican native was promoted to Triple A Rochester in mid-June and since then has gone 5-1 with a 1.83 ERA through his first eight starts. He’s fanned 60 while walking 16, surrendering just two gopher balls in 52 innings and posting a solid 1.72 G/F ratio.
That would make it somewhat less painful...the strikeouts to walks ratio is impressive (although it's in the minors) but the Grounders to Fly ratio is important in Arlington...

This was put on espn.com at 3 est:

quote:
After weeks of speculation, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark has learned the Texas Rangers notified teams interested in All-Star second baseman Alfonso Soriano that they won't trade him.

The New York Mets were rumored to be an early suitor, but the derby Sunday appeared to be down to two teams -- the Minnesota Twins and Chicago Cubs -- after the Mets backed off.

But one baseball man who had spoken with Texas brass estimated that the odds were down to one in 100 that Soriano would be moved at all.

The Cubs were unwilling to part with pitcher Rich Hill or their top prospect, center fielder Felix Pie. Texas was asking for both.

The Twins, meanwhile, are resisting including left-hander Francisco Liriano in any deal. Clubs that have been in touch with the Rangers said Sunday that if those players were untouchable, Soriano would remain in Texas at the deadline.

Well its official "The Red Sox have made no transactions" , haven't heard any news from around the rest of baseball yet...

The rookie Papelbon looked like a young Schilling today - 7K's in 5, throwing about 96-- which is heartening....

Manny is getting a standing O for pinchhitting as I write....

...and knocks in the go ahead run...

What a great moment!

---gees I love this game

Nah----Its sort of like healing an important relationship that was strained for a week, almost to the point of falling apart, but both sides are really glad when all the drama is over

---**** happens---in baseball and in life that is unforeseen and a bit difficult but it makes it all the better and stronger when you get through hard things.........he is a loved figure around here, part of it is because of his childlike innocence that is actually endearing..(i don't know where the gangster quote came from...)

Its over now-- 1 tough week doesn't make a season, it could have broken them up, but in the end, the struggle brought them together....

There are difficulties to overcome that make teams better and stronger==I really think that the way this all finally played out will make the Red Sox a better team.

---The team is glad to have him back, the fans are glad to have him back, and most importantly after hanging over the precipice for a few days --he is glad to be back....

quote:
Manny is just being Manny. OJ is just being OJ. Steinbrenner is just being Steinbrenner.Cheney is just being Cheney.

The 'just being' rationale is also a head scratcher for me.

There is a little difference-- those guys know full well what they are doing and can be vicious about it,

Manny is like your very gifted cousin who has absolutely no social skills and is just too innocent at times not to do stupid things in public, -You can't really hate him because their is no real malicious intent in his actions....He actually is a very lovable guy.....