GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

3.) manager forgot to take one of his many medications to alleviate stress...

Trammell did the same thing last week against the sox--had a kid throwing a two hitter in the 8th with 82 pitches and brought in an unproven closer for no particular reason---Sox scored and won in 10....(shrug--who knows --maybe its the Grady Little demon effecting managers---)

no bets --im not familiar with that guy-but it is rookie time of the year--

We have 3 that just came up that are holding the pitching staff together (Jonathan Papelbon sure could be a name to remember--he looks like a young Schilling)and another closer(Craig Hansen)on the way who is supposed to be the best thing since Dennis Upperdeckersley....

Schilling gets his first start since April tomorrow...the pitching staff is like the magicians trick shuffle -it chnages daily but looks like it might all fall together

Just read this:

quote:

Nationals manager wants Palmeiro's records wiped out

August 24, 2005

RALEIGH, North Carolina (Reuters) - Washington Nationals manager Frank Robinson wants Rafael Palmeiro's hitting statistics wiped out because the Baltimore Orioles first baseman failed a drugs test

Palmeiro was suspended on August 1 after a positive test for a steroid. He told a U.S. congressional committee in March that he had never used steroids.

Robinson, a former Baltimore player, manager and club official, also said baseball should not be required to research when a player started using steroids and then remove records for certain seasons.

"Where do you go back, stop and say, 'OK, when did he started using steroids?' To eliminate all that, and get the players' attention, you wipe the whole thing out," Robinson said.

"Why put the burden on baseball to try and figure out where to go, and maybe put an asterisk? Just wipe the whole thing out."

Palmeiro is one of four only major-league players to record 3,000 hits and 500 home runs. He has 3,020 career hits, 569 home runs and 1,834 runs batted in and a career batting average of

"I was surprised and taken aback that he was using steroids, because I never thought about him being a person that might be a steroids user," Robinson said. "I always admired him for the way he went about his work, the way he performed on the field and the way he conducted himself off the field."

I've always liked Frank Robinson.

Sorry for my absence too, personal life and all that stuff getting in the way of baseball....

I am sort of stunned and saddened about the passing of Wytedove, I didn't really know her except through this thread. She always was simple, genuine and sweet. She just loved the Dodgers...

She posted this two springs ago...

quote:
BASEBALL.........Tis the season to be happy.........I think Blue

Go Dodgers......eeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwww

Dovey....proud owner of two low riders...Dovey's Doxies...... too dumb to post pics

which boiled down is how I feel in the spring too--full of hope and exuberance about the coming season, but I am usually too subdued to express it so fully and openly

Time goes too fast--

Thanks and

Rest in Peace Dove

I know you are finally 'safe at home'

We should be seeing lots of new kids, future stars, some soon forgetables,and some Moonlight Grahams now that it is Sept. 1st.

Somehow the Sox went 18-9 in August with a pitching staff that is still 'interviewing' and looking to find arms----not too bad!--Hopefully they'll finally get it all ironed out in the next month....

the youngsters that we've brought up have been pretty impressive... haven't won everything, but impressive...

that road trip just killed us... ended our hopes for this year and almost broke the team...

we've done all right since then even though the only contender we played was the WSox (took 3 of 4, lost the Volquez outing)... now we're picking on the Royals... (our owner's team to model after)...

It was rough going for awhile, I got to the poinet where I was wondering why games werent suspended like they had been after 9/11-Maybe I was watching too much coverage, but it hit me hard--I couldn't even watch a game until the last few innings last night....I'll be off on a two week road trip in a few days ( Im hoping I go 9-0 wink2.gif;)-->)and Im busy as hell so hold the thread together for me---I'll be watching from hotel rooms and I'll be back in plenty of time for the playoffs!

It was gonna be both a nice two jobs and some free time tacked in between and onto the end for good measure--a few vacation days----and then I got inundated with phone calls to stop here there and everywhere on business so i'll be running around the south trying to stay in gas, and trying to keep all those jobs straight in my head for a few weeks (not easy at my advanced age!). Popularity ain't all its cracked up to be....

I did get out of going to Lafayette, LA, I think they may have higher priorities right about now than restoring their church windows......

i will be in Atlanta for a few maybe i will pick up a Braves game there if they are home...

good... the ted is a nice place to catch a game... I've sat in both the outfield and the infield, nice sight lines... and both times I was there a cool breeze... of course the locals thought it was hot... but it was 20 degrees cooler than I was used to!

Are you going to any minor league towns? I'm probably going to get to see a game in Evansville in a couple of weeks... I think they're the Otters... love minor league games... oh no! I just thought of it... their season will probably be over by then! rats!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just made it home in one piece from the sunny south, having made a new friend of the Head Honcho Episcopalian of Georgia, as well as at a few other churches--I miss that hot weather and the beach at St. Augustine already---no games while I was gone---but i am back just in time for the last two weeks which look exciting --1/2 game separates the Sox and Yanks and they finish with 3 at Fenway, never mind all the wildcard maneuvering....Ortiz looks like he has been hot as hades (But not as hot as that girl at the beach...)

man... if the stRangers of the tonight played that road trip... we'd still be in it... that team looked nothing like the "normal" team that we throw out there... and now we've had a couple of youngsters step up to the rubber and look pretty good...

...what happened in your second game? ...and what's this discension I hear from the clubhouse? (re:Schilling)

Same thing that has been happening all year--the bullpen fell apart

Ive been talking a good part of the year about hitting the stride and they had it for awhile but have lost good portions of it......the bullpen has been inconsistant all year and sometimes down right horrible--They are better than that now but it is always a nailbiter when those guys come in.

Schilling has never really come back after last years ankle sacrifice and has been spotty at best, the hope was he would have it back by now-but he wasn't the old Curt last night--He is the scheduled starter for the final on Sunday against Mussina----

The comments have me *a little* concerned -this hasn't developed like last years team that was supertight, but occassionally things are said against teammates in the press. This situation is one of those deals where *someone* is ....ed because Schilling hasn't gotten booed this year. Schill is still riding on what he did last year and has attained a sort of sainthood for what he did in bringing the championship even though he has had a mediocre year at best. He is also outspoken , being on the radio and posting on internet boards just about everyday. It rubs some the wrong way.

We'll see---last year a huge part of winning was the closeness of the team and the belief in each other. It may be the Boston media has overblown the whole thing as it does many times, or it could be one of those tiny indicators that makes the difference between another miracle or going home early.

At this point, they look like a different team than last year, you can see it, they still play well with a few differences in strengths and weaknesses but they are not quite the happy go lucky "idiots " that pulled it together to win.....

Only thing to do now is sit and watch how everything plays out