GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Anyway --Why can't the Red Sox get guys like Orlando Cabrera?

Funny mstar... funny!

OKAY BOYS (and any lurking girls)... TIME TO MAKE THE PREDICTIONS!

I'll go with the Cards from the NL. Houston has shown some grit... but in a seven game series... gotta give it to the Cards again.

In the AL, I'm not so sure... the Angels have both talent and grit, not to mention depth... but the Pale Hose have good pitching and "IT" going for them this year... I think the ChiSox win tonight for obvious reasons, the only negative I see for the Angels is also one of their positives... Bart Colone... no heart IMO... But... I'm going with the Angels...

Who's next?

Both the Astro's and the White Sox are notorius 'chokers' in big series, and need to prove otherwise.

The Cards seem like a lock for the NL title-I'd rather see the Astros personally.

I'm giving the edge to the Angels in the AL, which is fine with me, but I think I'd like to see the Sox in the series. The Angels were there a couple of years ago, and I'd like to see the Sox this go round.

I think the most interesting matchup is White Sox-Astros. The most 'traditional' one is Sox-Cards. Angels-Astros is interesting since I think both teams began at the same time-or within a year or two. Some of my first baseball cards were from the Houston Colt 45's. Ad the Angels were truly the Los Angeles Angels back then, playing in LA's 'Wrigley field', then sharing Dodger Stadium for a couple years, before moving to Anaheim.

Tough call, all teams have their strengths, of course everyone has to like the Cards, but they seem at least to me too much of a machine, I'd like to see Houston win in the NL just because they fought to the 7th game last year and didn't make and no one gave them much of a chance this year.

The AL is a tougher call for me, I like the way both the Angels and the White Sox play ball, they are both tight in all phases of the game, play good clutch baseball and know how to win. I also have a soft spot for both : Chicago because they haven't won since the Jurassic Age and the way they have pulled together unexpectedly as a team, and the Angels because they have always seemed a class franchise, have good solid ballplayers throughout, play good solid team play, plus they have old friend Orlando Cabrera(my favorite most underated player) at short. Their only shortfall is a minor identity crisis on what to call the team every year.

Thats a tough call and honestly I dont know if i want to predict, because for the first time in along time it is nice to sit back with no emotional attachments and just watch great baseball regardless of who wins.

well it's a pretty good game so far... Byrd looks like the elementary school janitor that has a pint in his back pocket... but he's pretty effective... oops... just hit a guy... and gone... let's see how that rubber arm of sheild is tonight...

the fox heads were making a big deal at the beginning of the game about both teams playing small ball... I don't know about the sox, but I think the LAA are the real "Dodgers"... it's that blue blood that Scosia bleeds after learning from Tommy L...

I sure love this time of year... and the weather here is actually cooperating as well... got the windows open and the TV on... ahhhh

Edited by Tom Strange

Shoeless Joe was also an uneducated and illiterate hillbilly,a Carolina farmboy who couldn't read or write...

Well,say it ain't so,Joe...Sox lost this one and I don't think they threw it,but they didn't look too sharp,either...Couldn't steal(show a little patience,Ozzie,wait 'til the second or third pitch and avoid a pitchout),couldn't get a bunt down and looked like they missed a hit and run sign...Sox looked flat,and I hope this drawing of first blood wakes them up...Angels looked tough and in a groove...and they're going to be hard to beat...I think it will be a long series...

Joe Jackson went to work sweeping floors in a cotton mill when he was 13 years old. Education wasn't a big priority in his family. Survival was.

Shoeless Joe got royally screwed by baseball. There's never been any evidence that he actually took any money in 1919. He even tried to give back the money he was given.

White Sox player Chick Gandil, who was the ringleader of the fix, most likely told the gamblers involved that Jackson was in on it, even if he wasn't. The gamblers wouldn't have gone along with the deal if they didn't think Chicago's best player was in on it. When Jackson found out about the fix, he went to White Sox owner Charlie Comiskey and told him about it, even asking Comiskey to take him out of the series.

Comiskey refused, probably because he knew exactly what was going on and benching Joe would have been admitting it. Jackson hit .375 for the series and made no errors in the field, hardly the performance of a player trying to throw games. If he did take the money, he sure didn't earn it.

The players were acquitted in their trial but suspended from baseball for life by the High Commissioner Judge Kennesaw Mountain Landis. Joe Jackson belongs in the Hall of Fame.

If you're interested, check out the excellent book "Eight Men Out" about the Black Sox scandal.

By the way, Jackson always said no kid ever said "Say it ain't so, Joe," to him. That was a complete invention by the newspapers.

Shoeless Joe,along with the seven others,was "banned for life"....

Shoeless Joe,along with the seven others,is also dead....

It won't do him any good now,but just how long is a lifetime ban supposed to be,anyway?...Outside of maybe Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb,there is probably no more of a familiar name from that era to baseball fans than "Shoeless" Joe Jackson....Call it the 'Hall of Acomplishments',or the 'Hall of Great Stats' or the 'Hall of Good Moral Baseball Behavior'....but if you're going to call it the "Hall of Fame',Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose belong in there....And,oh,yeah,...Ron Santo,too....

Jackson may have been guilty by association,like the extra passenger in the getaway car...It's hard to prove all what he knew and what he did these many years later,but his statistics in the World Series that year are very telling....Baseball needed to take a hard stand back then to wrest the game from gamblers,money grubbing owners and competition from the Federal League...I know there are some people who believe that we no longer play a true 'World Series',due to the popularity of the game internationally....But I,for one,am glad that Major League Baseball has maintained a somewhat clean and competitive nature,...knowing that you're watching the best players and the best teams compete...

Baseball has a great history...not all of it good,but it certainly draws a lot of parallels to what was going on in the world...And the hall of fame is a great place to not only look at it's greatest players,but also those that helped shape it's history....

Joes Stats:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/jacksjo01.shtml

url=http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/jacksjo01.shtml]Joes stats[/url]

I dont know how he can not be in the hall --look at those stats--.408 BA first full year, with a .468OBP

followed up by .395/.458, and .373/.460---Lifetime--.356/.423

These are gargantuan--

I hope that one day there is a movement to give the man his due--

As far as the others Rose has enough focus from enough groups fighting for him, but IMO it is a complete travesty that Ron Santo isn't already in and seems to be a forgotten man, what did he ever do, besides being the 3rd baseman for his generation? I know there are people petitioning the old timers committee (or whatever it is called) on behalf of him. I hope that it gains some momentum and gets a hearing-he definitely is also deserving

Editted: because the link thingy is acting weird

Is it just me or does the Fox coverage bug yous guys too?

Edited by mstar1

I don't know if it bugs me or not... but I hate, detest, can't stand that freaking "SCOOTER"!

Like anybody is going to be watching these games that doesn't already know whatever it is he's 'explaining' at the time...

...a perfectly executed suicide squeeze is a thing of beauty isn't it?

T.R. Sullivan of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram is reporting that Oakland has

asked for and received permission from the Rangers to interview Orel

Hershiser for its vacant managerial post. The A's have also acknowledged

that they will interview Ron Washington and Bob Geren, both of whom served

on deposed manager Ken Macha's coaching staff.

Edited by Tom Strange

Not only "SCOOTER" but Buck and MacCarver really rub me the wrong way and always have--thank God they have Pinella in there, at least he has a personalityand some interesting insights that aren't canned... now over to Jeannie.... groan

I missed the squeeze----(I got the Angels--Sox)-but it certainly is....

I love watching Cabrera play short, I love the way he plays, He is one of those guys that is just fun to watch---it was a

mistake for the Red Sox not to bring him back....

Whats with Washburn pitching with one sleeve?.....its not very ...um..uniform...

Edited by mstar1

Behrlie (or however you spell it) is doing the same thing... I don't know, I kind of like McCarver... I don't like it when whoever is working with him is trying to set him up for stuff, but I've always liked his knowledge/take on the game... it just seems that sometimes Joe B or that guy that worked the other series with him set him up for corny stuff sometimes... and I've liked Sweet Lou so far... great knowledge... now if Joe will just shut up and let those two go at it...

...Shields is pitching again[/]??? did you hear them say that in college he once threw 261 pitches in an extra inning game?

...and I just knew you were watching Cabrera get those hits and thinking... dangit!

Yea on Cabrera---he had 7 errors all year, and they got Renteria ( 30 errors)to upgrade the "D' at an extra 2 mil/year --D'OH!

Theo aint always the genuis I claim he is

What a bizarre finish--never seen that one before

I think that ump blew the call-it looks to me like he clearly made the out signal--its a shame aplayoff game has to end on such a strange note.....

I guess thats why its called October

Well,the game actually ended on a two-out double on an 0-2 pitch off of Escobar....Soscia and the Angels I believe are too professional to blame the loss on a blown ump's call...Fortunately,it's early enough in the series to see what these teams are made of...If nothing else,the Sox were opportunistic,today...Capitalizing on the throwing error by Washburn(an obvious case of the yips),and capitalizing on the controversial call on strike three...I only saw the first inning,but I liked the tone Ozzie set by bunting the runner to third,then him scoring...When you're playing well,you can't be too proud to take advantage of a freebie....Sox did it twice and the series is knotted 1-1 instead of 2-0,Angels...I'm ok with it...

It was not good to have the game hang on a bad call, and the umpire was very uncomfortable on the post game press conference, needing to be bailed out by the more savvy umpire chief.

It was one of those bizarre plays that will be discussed for years. I thought the insights by John kruk and harold Reynolds were interesting. It was really quick thinking on Pe.. uh (I cant spell his name) part to run

to first. The replacement catcher the Angels had in because they pinch ran for Molina, flipped the ball back to the mound before hearing the ump call it out, or tagging the batter, which veteran catchers invariably due.

I'm glad it's 1-1 though. This could shape up to be one heck of a series.

Cards-Astros are beginning as predicted. I'm hoping for at least a credible showing on the Astros part.

I can't stand McCarver, or scooter. The only scooter I like is Phil Rizzuto. I'm wondering if we're listening to the next yankee manager in Lou Piniella, as the Boss is using Torre as the scapegoat for the yankees demise.

Torre may have managed his best year there. The yankees shouldn't have even seen a playoff game, and the steadiness, and professionalism of Torre is amazing, especially considering the zoo it can be.

Shades of Don Denkinger!!

If the ump makes the out call, the batter's out. An umpire that knows what he's doing doesn't make the out call until he knows the ball is caught cleanly. If the batter's out, it doesn't matter if he runs to first or the catcher tags him.

This lame explanation of "I didn't make the out sign" is almost as good as Bill Clinton's "I did not have sex with that woman."

Thats my viewpoint, he raised his hand signalling out, ball is dead, end of inning, team runs off the field.

Are there any umps here? My understanding is on a dropped or uncaught third strike an umpire will say strike three but will not signal out until the out is recorded.

I still think the catcher caught it anyway, but even if he blew that call , he still signalled out , moving the team off the field, then changed his call after AJP got to first.

MLB will back him now most likely,but I think that he'll be looking for a new profession in a few weeks myself

Lifted up ought to drop by and put in his two cents...he's a man in blue...

I'm sure Molina would back up his backup catcher,but I'll bet you if he's behind the plate,he tags out Pierzinski and there is no controversy...How could the catcher know what the ump signalled with his back to him?...

I like Pineilla's insight,but he really doesn't have an announcer's voice....

Shoot,now that the series is tied,I wish I had my baseball avatar back...

I thought I'd throw this little tidbit out here because the controversial call reminded me of it....

Arte Moreno's son and mine played on the same team for a while,and during fall ball,they would just have a couple of the dad's ump instead of hiring regular umps....In a game that I was calling strikes and he was umping first base,the batter hit a squibbler that started out foul and he yelled "foul!"...The ball continued rolling,eventually touching first base,meaning it should have been ruled fair,but he already stopped the runner by signalling foul....I thought Arte handled it well,he explained to the coaches that he mistakenly jumped the gun and stopped the play by yelling "foul",therefore the ruling will stand as a foul ball....'Course,these were 12 year old kids and the stakes were a little lower...

All right,no charge for the story and that's about all I got to say about this strike three call....

Thats what I like about Lou, is that he doesn't have an announcers voice ---it took me awhile to get used to it the first game, but he seems more like a regular Joe type guy with insights that are good, instead of a slick talking professional who is trying extra hard to impress you with stuff you probably already know, which is the way I hear MacCarver and Buck..... (well most of the time)

anyway as far as avatars

Hows this one--its not quite the same but its still Ty

maybe it'll work if you need to have some uniform on...

I think it might resize itself if you play with the right buttons

150px-Ty_cobb.jpg

anyway if you want it its here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ja/t...0px-Ty_cobb.jpg

Edited by mstar1

well since you asked:

St. Louis Cardinals 2005 Salaries

PLAYER SALARY (US$)

1. Larry Walker 12,666,667

2. Albert Pujols 11,000,000

3. Scott Rolen 10,715,509

4. Jim Edmonds 10,333,333

5. Jason Isringhausen 8,250,000

6. Mark Mulder 6,550,000

7. Reggie Sanders 4,000,000

8. Jeff Suppan 4,000,000

9. Jason Marquis 3,000,000

10. Julian Tavarez 2,600,000

11. Matt Morris 2,500,000

12. David Eckstein 2,333,333

13. Chris Carpenter 2,000,000

14. Ray King 1,850,000

15. Mark Grudzielanek 1,000,000

16. John Mabry 725,000

17. Cal Eldred 600,000

18. Einar Diaz 600,000

19. So Taguchi 550,000

20. Mike Lincoln 360,000

21. Yadier Molina 323,500

22. Hector Luna 320,000

23. Randy Flores 317,500

Total Team Salary: 92,919,842

Looks like they got some bang for their buck

This is from ShowMeTheMoney -in case you want to know

Hey,thanks for the pics,Tom and Mstar....I'll take it under advisement....I'll have my people get in touch with your people....

I find myself thumbing through old baseball stuff in between playoff games(sometimes in between innings),and came across this tidbit about Ty Cobb....

"History reverently chronicles the baseball deeds of Ty Cobb and remembers him affectionately as the "Georgia Peach." But to his contemporaries,the former Detroit star was anything but peachy. He was a raging wildcat and the master of cut-throat baseball,a mean,nasty,intimidating,antagonistic and devilish practitioner of his chosen profession..."

I like that word "devilish"....

A fine performance by Oswalt(Roy,...not Lee Harvey) last night,I guess showing once again that good pitching stops good hitting...

Another tidbit: The only time the now-defunct St Louis Browns,who got sucked into Baseball's Bermuda Triangle,never to be heard from again,made it to the Series was in 1944,when Major League Baseball was depleted of most of it's stars during WW II...Of course,they lost the Series that year to the St. Louis Cardinals,4-2....