GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Great to see those statues of Willie and Juan Marichal in the classic poses as I remeber them--

Who is that cutie next to Juan? :wink2:

Well 38 days until spring training

Pitchers and catchers report Feb 17

I don't know when ( or if) shortstops, centerfielders and leadoff hitters will be reporting for my guys--Still a heck of alot of holes up the middle

Anyone up for a spring training meet?

Well I was thinking of Florida---I have atrip to make to Atlanta toward the end of February-and since I am in the neighborhood I'll probably pop down and make a go of it....The Southwest sure sounds interesting tho----Its been awhile since I have been out that way--let me mull that one over for awhile

So what would you do if you were the probably the best General Manager in baseball, were 30 years old and not with a team right now?

panicking and hustling up work?

Heck no ----go on tour and rock the house down

Heres what former Sox GM Theo Epstein is up to:

20050109_hotstovecool#0023.jpg

Gotta love this kid

Some of yous might not remember this, but when the Iranian hostages came home from their 444 days of prison, MLB gave them a lifetime pass to every single Major and minor league game for the rest of their lives.

I found it fascinating that they received this and always wondered what happened to them and if the former hostages used the passes. I ran across this story the other day that answers that:

Washington Post

I'm not sure if you need a login, but if you do, it's free and this article is definitely worth it.

One things I've always remebered about this is an NFL executive after hearing about the MLB gift is reported to say, "Haven't they suffered enough?".

No matter what your feelings on baseball or NFL, this is a great line.

Lifetime passes-----

even the thought is staggereing to me

• 4 weeks later...

one of the places I went while on my recent walkabout was SCOTTSDALE (last week)... but alas.. I only had a day out there but it may lead to many more... hopefully soon... so's I can hook up with Simon and Bullwinkle's friend for some baseball... most of the stRangers are in camp... except for Beltre.... he may never get back in!

Cool...

Pitchers and catchers have started up for the Sox along with the first incident this year of "Manny being Manny". Now he wants to go to Italy instead of ST :biglaugh: , no doubt to watch all those Dominican skiing phenoms rake in the gold.

Not even the first official day of Spring training and it has already started ---this year is going to be bizarre

another (recent) sign that spring is here... Barry starting up his song and dance again...I don't want him to have the record unless there's an asterik beside it...

I know it's inevitable that there's going to be cheating, I've resigned myself to that... I just don't want him to have the greatest record in sports...

Im with you---it wouldnt be right at least to me---How far is he away from Aaron about 50 or so? i think it would be along shot even for him....

But I gotta wonder if he is taking a dive knowing that if he does break the record the rest of his days could be hell--

dunno just a thought....

Keith Foulke our 'ace closer' who didnt even bother to go to the playoff games last year, told reporters the other day he didn't because baseball bores him...... :blink: yup its spring training time

Gonna be glad when the first pitch is thrown and I get to see our entire new infield...

Im already liking him----I was looking at his numbers the other day and everything has been on the steady rise for a few years---He'e young, has speed, a good outfielder...Looks like an exciting kid..

never mind having the best baseball name around...

I wonder if this is going to be the new speed, defense and pitching Red Sox--Ive never seen that one before..

I wonder if this is going to be the new speed, defense and pitching Red Sox--Ive never seen that one before..

I don't know... could be... (and that would be good for you and "the nation")... "they" say that, even though Theo was on sabbatical, that all of the moves made had his fingerprints all over them, that the stand=ins were on the phone with him constantly...

We'll see how our 'young lad' does... so far hopes are as high as they've ever been...

Edited by Tom Strange

well the stRangers got their final 3 deals done today and have the entire 40 man roster under contract...

meanwhile in Florida... looks like the Nats are having fun with Mr. Soriano... my gosh, if he won't listen to Frank Robinson who will he listen to? If he would've switched to Centerfield he could've had a very, very prosperous life here... most people are saying "good riddance" and I find myself thinking that sometimes as well when I hear these stories... BUT... he individually, personally changed the outcome of several games when he was here with both his bat and his base speed... his defense was always an adventure though... he made the simple look impossible and the impossible look simple, which IMO is a problem with concentration...

good luck to them... I wish he was still here... hopefully patrolling centerfield...

his defense was always an adventure though... he made the simple look impossible and the impossible look simple, which IMO is a problem with concentration...

Which brings up an interesting point I saw Theo talking about today--a run prevented has as much value as a run produced---consistency in the field is worth a lot more in the long run than a lot of people give it credit for...

Gotta run---heading south for a week or two

• 3 weeks later...

Ha, Wells

Trade me, keep me, trade me , I want to stay

Last I heard he wants to stay..earlier he wanted to be traded to San Diego (yea if I can find a job that pays me several million to work every fifth day for six months in San Diego--I'll take it to...)

We'll see -i wouldnt doubt something happenes on that account--The Sox have 7 starters at the moment, so somethings gotta give..

I only made it as far as Georgia, worked for a week and a half then had to come home as things got busy all of a sudden -so no Florida , no ST in this trip, I did see a college practice and experience some nice weather -

-those Atlantans can keep their drivers though-those people are nuts

I only made it as far as Georgia, worked for a week and a half then had to come home as things got busy all of a sudden -so no Florida , no ST in this trip

:( :( :(

Belle lives right around the corner from Spring Training Grounds....

Edited by Belle

And the hits just keep on coming!

This, from the Nationals' official website:

"Second baseman Alfonso Soriano informed the Nationals on Monday afternoon

that he will not play outfield for them, while the team told him that he

could be placed on the disqualified list if he failed to do so.

"Soriano, who played most of March representing the Dominican Republic World

Baseball Classic, was set to hit leadoff and play the outfield for the

Nationals against the Dodgers on Monday night. But when the players went out

on the field, only eight players were present.

"Manager Frank Robinson then went to home plate umpire Mike Estabrook and

told him that a lineup change was going to be made. Brandon Watson, who was

supposed to sit out the game, went to center field, while Ryan Church

switched from center to left field.

"A few minutes later, general manager Jim Bowden indicated that Soriano will

be given a second chance to play the outfield on Wednesday afternoon against

the Cardinals. If Soriano refused to play the outfield that day, the team

most likely will put him on the disqualified list without pay."