GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Is it something in the water out there? Its too early in the season...

I wonder what the heck Mia's doing , Nomar has been on the DL almost constantly since he got married...is she giving him too much of a workout at home?

:B)

well... I suppose I'm not the first guy to say it but... "she can give me a workout anytime she wants!"

...FWIW... I was duly impressed with Papelbon during their series here... let's see if he can do it a little longer before we put him in Cooperstown though... but he does have a good start and he seems to be carrying a big old can of heat...

OK OK, unlike MLBs deal with Gooden, I wont put Papelbon in Cooperstown quite yet, but i think this kid is the real deal.....He is fearless, has a bucket of youthful fire, never mind some serious heat

and there's a few more at or near his caliber waiting in the wings....

Schilling is mentoring the bunch...Even if he didnt want to pitch--Id pay Roger just to be around these young guys for a season

and yes, I wouldnt mind mixing things up with Mia either--even if it put me on the DL (which it probably would for quite awhile).

Home opener tomorrow

We need our own Ted out there singing "Its Good to Be Home Again"

At my shop a bright red cardinal has been flying in everyday for about a week now and banging on my window for about 10 minutes at a time . Its wooded and there are shrubs right out side the window, i think he sees reflections or something and hangs out there while he sings , chirps and hits the window until he finally figures out he's not getting in...What does this have to do with baseball?

I named him Albert today ...after Pujols....

What else would you call a cardinal who shows up and hits everyday?

...things to do on an offday

I cant think of anyone else right now that i'd take ahead of him--Well maybe I'd sign Ortiz for 4 more years who also brings alot to a team....O yea--we already did that today

6-1 now,

Another gem from Beckett and a yet another nice close by Pap. Im liking these new guys.

Mike Lowell, whose hitting was suspect got his first taste of Fenway and went 4-4, Loretta made a great play at second and is a natural number two hitter. Even with Coco out a few weeks with a busted finger-the bench is steppin right up. (Stern 4 RBI's in 2 days)

The starters are all going 7 , the only thing I havent seen is the middle relief so far. Although i was sort of unsure about a slew of new faces, and its a whole new style of play (which is good ),they are making a lot of fans fast ...

Edited by mstar1

well save number 6 from Paplebon today, batters are 2-24 against him so far, and another gem from Beckett--

Its strange but good watching the RS being a pitching and defense team for once-- I cant remember winning this many low scoring 1 run games in a very very long time.... 'Tiz OK

Tomorrow got the majors only morning game of the year ---an 11AM start

I looked up the definition of "HITTER" in the dictionary today. Here's what I found:

hitter

n 1: (baseball) a ballplayer who is batting [syn: batter, slugger, Pujols, batsman] 2: someone who hits; "a hard hitter" "a Pujols"; "a fine striker of the ball"[syn: Pujols]; "blacksmiths are good hitters" [syn: striker]

This picture was beside the definition:

2005-11-15-inside-pujols.jpg

What is he on pace for? about 110 HR's and 300RBI's this year?

Its players like him that would make me consider moving to St. Louis, just so I could watch him upclose everyday for a season instead of just in the highlights..

Its a beautiful thing to see him in the box.

doesn't cost you any extra: About two years ago my then girlfriend and I were watching a game (she was half listening as usual)--She asked 'Is that guy Native American?" Me; No, I dont think so --why?

Well who else would have a name like Two Holes? :blink: :biglaugh:

Albert has been known as Two Holes ever since up here

hey! we've won 4 out of 5 and are only a game out in the wild wild west...

I'll be glad when they get back off this trip... all of the games start and end so late...

tonight Millwood vs Moyer... what kind of game will it be? between those two it could be a blow out (either way) or could be a pitcher's dual...

THAT'S why they play the game!... Popoblam looks good so far!

I dont know how that Seattle team deals with the travel, the closest team they have is Oakland which is a few hours and every other team is about a continent away--they must spend half the season in the air

and Late? at least you aren't on the East Coast --games start at 10 or 11 when my guys are out there....

and o yea Popoblam? :biglaugh::biglaugh: its Pap el bon

i have a feeling y'all be will remembering that name soon enough. :dance:

The kid is fun to watch-He is going to make some waves.

How old is Moyer about 62? Seems like he has been pitching forever. Ive always liked him and think he is one of the most underated guys around. Slips in under the radar....I dont know how he does it, I think his fastballl is about as quick as mine.

Have you found out from Mr Titor when the Rangers win it all?

nah... not yet... I think he "went back" a few years ago... I just heard the guy who does that website on The Ticket this morning... sounded kind of kooky so I thought I'd throw it out there for the folks... I haven't read a whole lot yet but I gather he wouldn't tell anyone about sports outcomes...

I heard about that shift for Ortiz... they're doing strange shifts for both Teixera AND Blalock now... they're good power hitters but they've got to learn to hit it the other way every now and then so teams won't do that to them... heck, your boys did it to them when y'all were down here...

That Titor guy should have done the Back to the Future thing and gotten a sports score book while he was in 2036....but of course money means nothing in 2036 ( I guess I'll fit right in finally if i reach 81)

Someone told me once that in those latin and carribean countries that are prone to war and revolt, that there has never been a war during baseball season. Is that true?

wouldnt surprise me. Some one has to have clear priorities -that or understand the healing power of baseballl.

Anyway heres a real "Webb" gem from Adam Stern the other night, about a tenth of a second before he made the catch and slammed full speed into that wall. I've been out there, that wall is solid metal of some sort with no give. had that loud *thud* sound when he ran into it, went down in a heap for a few seconds then got up as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

God I love this game

WEBB GEM

BDD_4.19_as_bgjd.jpg

They don't have any padding along the bottom?

I'm happy to report that stRanger baseball is alive and well... take a look at the scoring line tomorrow... through 4 innings it's 13-6. Mench has 5 RBI already (GS in the first), Michael Young (through 4 innings mind you) is 4 for 4 with doubles in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th... and a bunch of RBI. Nevin got robbed in the 2nd with the bases loaded as TB pulled off a miracle DP... so he homered next time up to straightaway center...

Edited by Tom Strange

The stRangers will never have trouble hitting, Its been awhile since I have seen one of those football scores. It makes for a ton of action. Ive always liked Young, even though you bemoaned it at the time if i remember correctly getting rid of ARod was good for the franchise, Young looks like a fun player to watch--Good to see your pitching held up.

As far as that padding---thats actually a new advertising section that was tacked on to the old scoreboard this year so its new.Im not 100% sure. When I was out there in 04 the scoreboard wasn't padded, It was made out of sheet metal about an inch thick it had big nasty hooks to hang team names and scores on and all sorts of protuding rivets, dents and jags. That section in the pic may be padded now I'm not really sure. It goes back and forth. it never was for years until Fred Lynn got near crippled running into the concrete part of the wall in the 75WS

For one season i'd love to be the guy inside the scoreboard, to me it is an icon like the Pieta.

The park just turned 94 a few days ago

I don't know... I don't remember bemoaning ARod, the clubhouse cancer going away, unless it was for the fact that 1) we're still paying a bunch of his salary and 2) his offense (though mostly hollow numbers)... either way...

We're talking about the FIRST PLACE Texas stRangers here! (we don't get to say that much, don't know if it says more about the team or the division)... but we've got the A's in tomorrow for three...

They started out 2-7 and have gone 8-2 in their last 10... I know it's only April, but we gotta celebrate when we get the chance...

Now I gotta go watch the Mavs and listen to Chuck and Kenny bash them...

Maybe Im wrong on the ARod deal someone was calling him the best position player etc etc. a few years ago-its probably my sometimers acting up....

Gees Louise 2-7, then 8-2 ---I know its a small sample but that would drive me nuts --well actually probably bipolar being down then up--I'll hope for you they can stay alittle more even keeled....What turned em? anything tangible? ( well beside scoring more runs than the other guys?)

here's a funny thing... Kevin Mench (Shrek) had a hot spring but had been having "foot trouble" for the first couple of weeks... even flew back from the west coast for treatment (specifically toes)... they measured his foot and found he's supposed to wear a 12.5... he'd always told them he needed a 12 because that's what his foot measured the last time... WHEN HE WAS 15!

Since changing shoes he's homered in the last 5 games... he is the team clown/prankster though so I'm sure he's getting a "ration" for it...