GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

:biglaugh:

Sounds good !

I was distraught however when I heard that Bill Mueller's surgery wasnt working and that he may have to retire...do you have any updates on that?, all I have is rumors

.....dang I miss watching Nomar...why cant we get guys like that?!

Edited by mstar1

The jury is still out on Bill Muellar-but it doesn't look good sad to say. Right now they're doing more tests and evaluating, but the subject of retirement has come up.

Nomar is amazing, and I still can't believe the Dodgers stumbled onto him. Besides hitting ropes all the time, he's making plays at first base that most veterans wouldn't. I'm digging him.

good to see he is back in form---back in the day there was a tangible electricity, an excitement, around him that swept through the park and built as he walked to the plate-that i dont ever recall seeing or feeling from another player, where you knew something exciting was going to happen or at the least couldvery well happen.

He's streaky, and when he is on--that first pitch is being hit hard somewhere and his defense can be dazzling......Im really glad to hear that he is back being the gifted one that he is....sux about Mueller though...I havent heard any murmuring about Grady from your corner -so Im assuming---but its still early.....

The sox have quietly put together about 8 in a row with a cast of thousands pitching staff....

Grady has been almost invisible so far. I'm not sure LA will take to him . Of course if the Dodgers win, it will be different.

I think he's an ok manager that does well when he has the players, like most managers. He certainly doesn't add anything special, and you hope he doesn't screw up the pitching staff.

All Dodger managers live in the shadow of Tommy Lasorda, who still sits in the owners box at most games and gets standing o's whenever he takes the field.

It's even worse for Muellar than I thought. Now they're saying they should break his knee !!!! and let the cartilege re grow for 2 years. Oh well, he had a fine 1 month Dodger career.

Going to the game tonight against the lowly Pirates.

I don't know how I survive 6 months without baseball every year.

Its always damn near impossiblr for me to face the winter without baseball-- i have seriously considered moving to the Carribean for the winter months to be near some good games.

Tough break for Billy Ballgame---i wish him well ---he really is one of the good ones--

as far as Grady goes----good luck! i hope he stays on top of things--he was famous for consistantly bringing in relievers 2 or 3 batters too late, never mind his "innovative' moves that apparently came from missing his morning meds, that baffled everyone...but if they are pulling together, playing exciting and are fun to watch-----then there is not much to beef about

Thought I'd check in and say 'hey'....So much baseball to talk about...so little time...

Well the Cubs did a nice,quick job of putting to rest any hopes of three long curses being broken in three straight years...One guy gets hurt(Derek Lee) and they look like a beer league team...They just flat out play lousy baseball... And nobody will really step up on that team....I have to agree with that fag,Jay Mariotti(sorry,just doin' my Ozzie Guillen impersonation),Dusty Baker should be replaced by Bob Brenley from the announcer's booth...I'm not saying Baker's the bad guy,necessarily,but whatever his system or philosophy is,...it ain't working...The Cubs have gotten worse every year since his first in Chicago...

The D-backs were almost as quick to follow the Cubs lead and do a June swoon of there own...Lost something like 14 out of 16 games,are now two games below .500,and amazingly,still only 3 1/2 games out of first in the mediocre NL West....Call me fair-weather,but it's hard to follow a team closely when losing is an almost every-day occurance...

So,I've been keeping an eye on the Chisox...The top three teams in their division have been the hottest teams in baseball,...with Detroit,Minnesota and Chicago going a combined 26-4 in their last 10 games each...The White Sox are playing like a fine tuned machine....Four guys on pace to hit over 30 homers and 100 ribeyes...If they're not hammering you,they get a total of one hit and beat you 1-0...The only way they won't repeat is if they get too full of themselves,which will be the manager's job to keep in check...

And speaking of Ozzie,he's had quite the contoversial week...Suspended for a game for his pitcher throwing at a guy...Now,they're calling for another suspension because he called Sun-Times sportswriter,Jay Mariotti,a fag...I don't know if I think the guy should be suspended...I'd be more interested to see how the gay community feels about his slur rather than the sportswriters...Mainly,because sportswriters have editors and managers don't...Ozzie's definitely a 'shoot from the lip' kind of guy...Chicago hasn't had a personality like him since Mike Ditka...He says a lot of ridiculous things...Actually,I can't understand half of what he says...I think the clearest thing he ever communicated was when he held his arms wide apart in the Series last year to bring in his big,chubby closer...

But,I know the sports world doesn't take slurs lightly...I remember a few years ago in an NHL game,Chris Simon,an Indian,and Donald Brashear,a black guy,got in a good old fashioned hockey fight,and Simon used a racial slur...I thought it ironic that while these guys were pounding each other's faces into the ice,which didn't make news,one called the other a racial slur,which did make national news..

Anywho,my ramblin' for the day...On a personal note,my son's highschool team made it to the state finals game,but lost...They were down 10-0 before they got a chance to bat and never did recover....But he had a good year...Didn't pitch much,but batted .393 in the two-hole...Good to see you guys keeping the thread going...

I think it's great that the Tigers and White Sox are so competitive. I always pull for the 'classic' teams that have been around for a century.

I wish I could say the same for the Pirates. I was at Dodger Stadium last night and they were hopeless (and hapless-that most damning of baseball insults).

Still, I just loved being at the park. I know I am most fortunate to live near a major league park, and thankfully can afford to indulge. It never gets old to enter the place and settle in with a Dodger Dog ( I hate to think how many of THOSE I've eaten !) . I could go to 80 games and not get bored, but I manage to limit it to 20-25, including a few treks to Angel Stadium.

Really any ballpark is great. When I lived in Columbus , Ohio, I loved going to see the Clippers, the Yankees AAA minor league team, where they exhorted you to ring cowbells in the stands.

And sometimes I take a walk after work and watch the local little league, it's all good.

Heck, I still even PLAY now and then, or hit the batting cage.

Well I guess I'll chime in about my poor Cardinals. They have now lost 8 (all interleague) in a row yet they are STILL in 1st place in their division by a game and a half. At this point I think the National League should just forfeit the All Star game and get some rest and/or therapy. God, these American League teams are killing us.

The Cards have to prove they can win or at least play well in October. They've won 205 games the 2 previous regular seasons and have nothing to show for it. Fans around the country are probably thinking "either .... or get off the pot" and are sick of hearing about them all the time. Pujols, Rolen, and Eckstein are hitting great. Even the platoon players Luna and Taguchi are hitting quite respectively. Their pitching is Jeckyl and Hyde. Even Carpenter is good one game, gets his head handed to him the next.

Edmonds has definitely lost a step, both hitting and fielding. Next year the team has to either pay him another 10 mill or buy him out and try to renegotiate. I'm guessing they'll do the latter. It has been good for Edmonds to be on the Cardinals. When he was with the Angels it seemed like if they didn't win he was blamed for it. When he first got to STL McGwire was here and now Albert is, so JE doesn't have to be "the man"; he can just do what he does without that added pressure. He likes playing under La Russa so hopefully they'll work something out.

If the Cardinals do manage to make the playoffs this year maybe they can play well too.

Hey mstar. What's up with Bronson Arroyo? He not only looks like Curt Cobain but he looks stoned too. What do you know about him. Sure is pitching good.

Edited by johniam

hahaha--i dont think Bronson is stoned (but what do i know)-He is a rocker wannabee and not a too bad guitarist and singer --he has a few albums out, and genuinely seems to love what he is doing. He was in a band the last few years and sometimes played on days that he wasnt pitching and usually did 3 or 4 fundraisers a year playing with other players and Peter Gammons (who is a pretty good guitarist himself) occassionally. ( Get well soon gammo)

I always liked Bronson as one of the underated guys who almost always came in and got the job done, especially in the clutch whether in long relief or as the sox 4th or 5th starter--- He knows how to pitch, great curveball. He is softspoken, but definitely on the flakey side which more or less was a side effect of being on the 2004 "Idiots. '. I'll try to dig up a picture of him in his blond cornrows--When he first showed up at the park with them, Terry Francona said it was the only time in his life he was glad he was bald.

He lead the team in quality starts last year.

I was sad to see him go, not just because he was a good pitcher with good stuff who was ready to break through, but because he was agenuinely likable guy and character who was enjoyable to watch on a day to day basis who did a lot of good in the community. Good luck to him in Cinncinati--

Over here the big news of the day is the return of Pedro Martinez--who is in town for the first time with the Mets. There was an amazing video tribute to him at Fenway yesterday and a long warm standing O. He is going tonight, its the top story on every station. It's good to see him coming home, but its all business after 7:05 when the Sox go for their 11th in a row.

Errorless baseball for 15 games goes a long way

heres Bronson with his cornrows:

Bronson_Press_Conference_1.sized.jpg

Edited by mstar1

The AL has been trouncing the NL at an alarming rate this year in Interleague games. I'm happy to see it as I'm still an American Leaguer at heart, and had to endure the 60's and 70's when the National League was clearly superior, (due largely to more NL teams opening up to black players first, and a more aggressive style of play). In a perfect world, the leagues would be balanced, but in the meantime , I'm enjoying the AL dominance.

Of course this means the NL will win the All Star game for the first time in years next week.

While we're on the subject, Ricky Horton, former relief pitcher for the Cards and Dodgers, and current analyst for the station that does weekend Cardinal games, offered this take on why the American League is winning so much in interleague games.

"It all points to one man: George Steinbrenner. He is committed to paying lots of money to field the best possible team for his Yankees. Therefore, the other American League teams know that if they want to have any shot at all to compete with the Yankees, they have to also be committed to making their teams as good as they can. So chalk it up to old fashioned American capitalism."

I would agree with that statement as far as the AL east goes, though the Red Sox are just as aggressive as the Yankees in paying big bucks so you have 2 big spending teams in the same division.The Blue Jays and Orioles certainly have been pressured to step up. Don't ask about the Devil Rays.

It doesn't explain the resurgence of the Tigers, and White Sox, or why the Twins field a competitive team every year in a small market. And the AL west doesn't know Steinbrenner exists until October, and are not building their teams based on Steinbrenner moves.

George has been everyone's favorite scapegoat for30 years.

I think alot of NL teams need to evaluate their own systems and determine why their team don't have the depth they used to be so proud of.

A lot of interesting points... we were doing pretty good against the NL until we hit San Fran...

As far as the small market teams, at least those that are competitive, I think it just points to superior scouting and coaching... but in the end, they (we) are all just farm teams for the Yankees and Red Sox aren't we?

I did hear something interesting regarding interleague play though... as long as they're going to continue it, why not make it (the interleague play) be the determining factor of which league gets to be the home team in the world series rather than the all star game? ...sounded like a good idea at the time.

While I'm at it... coming up on July 10th The Science Channel is going to air a show called Baseball's Secret Formula that looks to be pretty interesting... thought I'd let you guys know if you didn't already...

Well damn -that looks interesting but I dont get the Science Channel. That would be interesting if they kept it fairly simple for me.

I go to another board that has a bunch of the uber stathead geeks on it -but 3/4 of the time honestly ,i'll be damned if I know what they are talking about.

Stats have advanced so much in the last few years that with some of these guys you need a doctorate from MIT to follow along..every day they seem to come up with some new one ...they sound good on paper, ----many of them make sense to me, others fly right over my head ...let us know how it is.

I would be curious to know how many teams use this approach--and would wonder if this could also is part of the reason that the AL-NL is going the way that it has. I know that the AL has a lot of Bill James/sabermetric disciples, but I dont know about the NL.

One beauty of a game tonight ----Sox beat the Mets, for number 12 in a row.

I cant remember too many times in past years the Red Sox would win in the eighth on a bunt single, stolen base, sacrifice, and a sacrifice fly, then lights out relief and great defense....that used to be called National League baseball

Edited by mstar1

Here's something from todays DMN that ties in to the Steinbrenner thing...

Steinbrenner's spending has AL on top

04:27 AM CDT on Friday, June 30, 2006

By GERRY FRALEY / The Dallas Morning News

George Steinbrenner turns 76 on the Fourth of July. His legacy as owner of the New York Yankees is secure.

The Boss made the American League into a powerful beast.

In the B.S. era (before Steinbrenner), the AL had turned meek and out of date. In the A.S. era (Year of Steinbrenner), the AL has been a jungle.

Follow the money.

Steinbrenner freely spent on the Yankees, showering free agents with cash. Since 2000, the Yankees have had a total payroll of $1.07 billion. The rest of the AL had two choices: find a way to compete with Steinbrenner, or give up the ghost.

Some, such as Minnesota and Oakland, turned into guerrilla fighters who showed imagination and ingenuity in the front office. A few fell into the abyss.

And others spent at close to Steinbrenner's aggressive pace.

What Steinbrenner has wrought shows in the AL's domination of the World Series, the All-Star Game and interleague play. The humbled National League suffers for never having a Steinbrenner.

The AL has won 10 of the last 14 World Series, going 50-29 overall in that span. The AL has an eight-game All-Star streak, sandwiched around the 2002 tie.

The disparity between the leagues has been glaring during interleague play.

Entering the final weekend, which includes the Houston Astros at the Rangers, the AL leads 131-79 after Thursday's play. In the 10-year history of interleague play, the biggest annual gap was the NL's 137-115 advantage in 2003.

Blame it on, or credit it to, the arms race triggered by Steinbrenner. Unless a team has superb scouting and player-development operations, the only way to stay close to Steinbrenner is to have deep pockets.

"These things tend to move in cycles, but you have to look at the payrolls," said Los Angeles Angels general manager Bill Stoneman, who had the same position with the relocated Montreal franchise. "The payrolls in our league are larger than the payrolls of the National League. The numbers are skewed by having a team like the Yankees in the league, but free agents tend to end up in this league because of the payrolls."

AL teams have the top four payrolls in the majors this season: the Yankees ($198.7 million), Boston ($120.1 million), the Angels ($103.6 million) and the Chicago White Sox ($102.8). The New York Mets have the top NL payroll at $100.9 million.

This is typical of the Steinbrenner era.

The Mets were the last NL team to have the top payroll in the majors, in 1992. The AL has had two of the three highest team payrolls in 13 consecutive years. The Yankees have been the constant in that span, with Baltimore, Boston, Toronto, the Rangers and the Angels joining them at various times.

The best players go for the money. The AL keeps reloading through free agency.

Every top AL team has significant free agents. Go beyond the usual suspects in Detroit. The Tigers' unexpected success this season is due in no small part to starter Kenny Rogers, closer Todd Jones, catcher Ivan Rodriguez and outfielder Magglio Ordonez. All were free-agent additions.

"We always have the Yankees and Boston, which speaks volumes for our league," Detroit general manager Dave Dombrowski said. "Now, there's the White Sox on top of the game. If you're in the American League, you're going to have to play with those guys.

"You have to think about building a club along those lines. It doesn't mean you'll be successful, but it's what you have to do."

The designated hitter, an AL invention, also plays a role in the imbalance.

The DH increases the emphasis on offense in the AL. Its games average 10.1 runs, nearly a full run more than the NL average. AL teams can justify having offense-only players, and that leads to deeper lineups.

"We saw that in the World Series," Houston general manager Tim Purpura said. "That [White Sox] club had a lot of firepower, a lot more than you usually see in the NL."

The subject of AL offensive muscle came up when Dayton Moore, at the time Atlanta's assistant general manager, considered a move to Kansas City as general manager. Braves manager Bobby Cox warned Moore about the AL.

"He told me they have a lot of thumpers over here," said Moore, who took the Royals position. "There are no breaks for your pitchers in this league. Everybody's a tough out."

And yet Moore looks at the division he has joined, the AL Central, and sees powerful starting pitching.

Detroit began Thursday's play with the lowest ERA in the majors at 3.50, more than half a run better than any other club. The White Sox won the World Series last year with their pitching. Minnesota has the two best young left-handers in the game: Johan Santana and Francisco Liriano.

Welcome to the American League, Dayton Moore. Now, go out and beat George Steinbrenner. Having The Boss as a target makes the entire AL better.

E mail gfraley@dallasnews.com

SPENDING SPREE

Highest and lowest team payrolls, in millions, for the last three seasons combined.

HIGHEST

Team League Payroll

Yankees AL $587.2

Red Sox AL $370.9

Angels AL $301.8

Mets NL $299.1

Phillies NL $277.7

LOWEST

Team League Payroll

Devil Rays AL $94.7

Pirates NL $117.1

Marlins NL $117.5

Brewers NL $125

Royals AL $131.8

Money is part of the equation but imo its not the only factor, or teams like Oakland and Minnesota wouldnt be perpetual contenders.

Dont get me wrong it definitely helps, but for all the money that Steinbrenner has spent since 2000, what does he have to show for it besides playoff appearances? He does have a collection of future hall of famers but that doesnt necessarily translate into championship Teams

I think that there are (or at least can be) creative ways around spending huge amounts of money to build a winning team. The Marlins did it in '03 mostly by having young players with strong skills that hadnt yet reached the age where they could demand large paychecks. Oakland and Minnesota also do it year after year by (as we used to say) thinking outside the nine dots.

A lot of teams still seem to be stuck in the mindset of having one or two or three "stars' or charismatic players that fans will pay to see and a cast of semi adequate players to fill in the lineup, with little thought seeming to go into building the complete 25 cogs, the background organization or fan base support that are necessary (imo) to form a winning team.

Big names can help, but alot of the smaller pieces of the puzzle arent all that expensive comparatively, and the long range benefits are worth it

Money helps dont get me wrong, any product is going to be better if you invest wisely in it, but it is not the end in itself --- otherwise the Yankees would win every year.

Attention to the subtle nuances of the game, honest assessment of weakness and addressing them is critical in fielding a team and in business.

It takes all 25 and the entire support cast that figures out how to do it.

Some teams just dont seem to do that, or to pay attention and assess the business end of things either where improvements could be made that make putting those 25 on the field possible

I was surprised recently when traveling how few teams (even in very large cities) have a TV network which is a source of large revenue and 'outreach' for the RS and Yanks that is poured back into the entire system.

In these days when there is a cable station for everything,( The Aquarium Channel!?!) it doesnt seem like that tall of an order to put in place, especially in cities/regions that have millions of people that are potential paying 'consumers'.

A lot of cities dont seem to have worked at developing a fan base either, which just doesnt happen automatically because a team is fielded. I dunno --it bugs me when I see a game where the stands are half filled-It makes me think that someone, somewhere just isnt doing their homework.

i dunno Im ranting I guess and getting way off the mark, I'll get off it.

Boston has history which is a draw, but it is not nearly as big as many other cities that complain--It has taken some smart management to put all the multipronged pieces together to make the team competitive, as a business and most importantly as a team. It didnt happen by accident --it took a lot of years.

I think other teams could benefit by taking a more comprehensive approach to baseball and the business end

damn friday afternoons-

and FWIW Tom--Gabe's back

Edited by mstar1

Good points Mstar-and I agree with most of them.

It does crack me up when I hear, and I hear it from every analyst, how the Yankees haven't won anything since 2000, as if it's a sign of failure. I get the point that money doesn't buy championships as the Yankee teams of the 80's and early 90's proved, but last I looked it's only 2006 now.

How many championships have the Dodgers, Giants, Cardinals,Braves,Cubs, Athletics,Mariners, Rangers,Orioles etc etc won in like forever?

Are the Yankees supposed to win EVERY year? Last I saw they totally dominated the late 90's and everyone was complaining about how boring it was to see them win every year. So now there's some balance and surprises which is only good for baseball as far as I can see.

Or is Steinbrenner damned no matter what he does.

Well no, the Yankees arent supposed to win every year, but if money were the only determining factor they certainly would as they so far outpay everybody else.

I was trying to point out that I think there are a lot of other factors that can be played with by smart and shrewd business people to build toward fielding competitive teams on a more regular basis.

Everybody cant win every year, but I do think that is in everyones scope to be able to field competitive and enjoyable teams to watch without spending $200mil+, if they keep their heads in the game, build from where they are, and play their game well outside the lines.

Many of the weaker teams seem to make as many errors (whether of ommission or commision)in the front office as they do on the field. If you throw to the wrong base it costs you, but if you have gaping holes in your roster in hurts the whole organization worse

I think that at least some of the AL superiority is that AL teams have had to learn how to do more with what they have available to them in order to compete and some have become fairly good at learning how to play the cards they are dealt extremely well and shrewdly turn them into winning hands, which in turn has given them enough financial reward where they can continue to build, grow and improve.

So in a way it is a byproduct of Pope George but it is not just the money --but a readaptation of the entire approach and understanding of the facets of the whole game

Edited by mstar1

and FWIW Tom--Gabe's back

That explains the winning streak!

To just throw money at it without thinking of the chemistry of the rest of the team gets you nowhere fast... just ask Tom Hicks. He decided (but only for a couple of years) to spend with Big George but he didn't spend it on the right folks, folks that could have a chance of doing well in this park... and he's still paying for them (ARod, Park)...

Anyone who was any good didn't want to play in the dutch oven that is the Ballpark for three months... they just teased us and used us to help drive their price up...

I agree with you mstar, and think that the dominant Yankee teams of the 90's were put together smartly and gelled as a team, not a group of high priced free agents.

So far, Alex Rodriguez looks out of place there, and who knows from Jason Giambi from year to year ( or roids to roids), or Sheffield for that matter.

The heart of that team is still Jeter, Posada, Rivera,Matsui, (when healthy, sigh) and up and comers like Robinson Cano. I agree that throwing money at holes is not going to be the answer, and the Yankees have suffered when they've tried to do so.

The Yankees will always be held to a different standard than other teams. The Dodgers, arguably the National league counterpart of the Yankees in history and tradition, have not won a championship since 1988. There are college graduate Dodger fans who have no memory of anything resembling a champion, yet the Dodgers are still perceived as a winning organization that draws over 3 million every year no matter how bad they are. The Yankees don't win for 5 years, and it becomes the lead line in every story .

If I recall correctly hiway, that Yankees team that was so successful was put together under the direction (or at least with major input) of Mr. Showalter... as were the D'backs ...and now the stRangers... (we can only hope they win before they tire of him)...

I do really admire the Twinkies and the Marlin though... the Twinkies seem to always be "in contention" and the Marlin tear down their entire team every time they win a WS and then build it back up...

Scouting, Coaching and Talent... but it sure doesn't help to have a wad (or wads) of cash... but I do think there's something to the premise of the article (and the argument)... GS spending so much all of the time does force the hand somewhat of those that have money as well...

Hicks is just such a jerk though, I wish he'd let someone buy his team, he wants a payroll of $70-$80 million max because other teams do it that way... but they're small market... I've heard that if he doesn't sell one ticket he breaks even somewhere around $70 million from all of the revenue sharing and TV/Radio deals and ads...

I realize it's a business but the folks around here are tired of him talking about whether they made money or not rather than whether they won or not... that's hard to take when two of the owners in town are Cuban and Jones, win at all costs kind of guys...

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about the high expectations all the analysts have for the boss and the New York Yankees...I suppose it would be akin to them seeing Steinbrenner on the side of the highway....changing a flat tire on his Hummer...I mean,geez,their payroll is nearly double that of their next closest rival...It should be news when they don't win their division...I've long held that you can buy your way into the post season,but the best 'team' is going to win the championship....

Over the course of a 162 game schedule---talent is going to win out....Your team hits 250 homers and your pitching only gives up 100,you're probably going to win about 100 games...But when you get into the post-season,and those pesky five game series followed by those seven gamers---well,anything can happen...Every team that makes the playoffs is going to have to be good and have a minimum amount of talent to get there...And I think fans,sportswriters and the like,revel in the fact that the championship goes to the teams that want it the most and plays the best,...and not simply to the team that pays the most...

Speaking of anything can happen in the playoffs,I was reading up on Don Larsen,who completed one of the most,if not,the most amazing feat in sports history---pitching a perfect game 5 in the 1956 World Series...Larsen,a journeyman pitcher who compiled an 81-91 record in 14 unspectacular seasons for seven different teams,in one nine inning game immortalized his name in the annals of sports history...A regular lunch pail kind of guy,after he retired the side in the 7th inning on that October day,he went into the dugout,lit a cigarette,poked one of his teammates(who,along with the rest of his teammates was trying to avoid Larsen in keeping with the baseball superstition of not talking to or jinxing a pitcher who is throwing a no-hitter),and said "hey,look at the scoreboard,I'm throwing a no-no!"...It wasn't until after the game in the clubhouse when Yogi Berra told him, that he realized he not only through a no-hitter but a perfect game...After the game,he went to his favorite haunt,a shot and beer joint,and exchanged a few rounds with the locals in the neighborhood...

I think it's a little premature to make too much of the desparity between the NL and AL as far as talent and statistics go....We're not even up to the first half of the season yet---lots of baseball to be played...As a Cub fan,I can tell you all about a 51-30 first half--followed by a 30-51 record after the All-Star break...Besides,the Yankees spending big bucks on players is nothing new....Anybody remember their old farm team,the Kansas City Athletics?...I also find it curious that all of the steroids-era homerun record breakers played in the National League,which doesn't have the designated hitter...

Finally---count me in with the group that does not want the all-star game to determine home-field advantage in the World Series....Leave it what it was,has been,and always should be---an exhiibit of the stars...Let 'em have some fun and put on a show for the fans and leave it at that...Heck,I didn't even mind the tie game--it was less forgettable than some of the other ones...

Hicks is just such a jerk though, I wish he'd let someone buy his team, he wants a payroll of $70-$80 million max because other teams do it that way... but they're small market... I've heard that if he doesn't sell one ticket he breaks even somewhere around $70 million from all of the revenue sharing and TV/Radio deals and ads...
Helluva a way to run a second rate business. Im starting to finally learn at my advanced age that if you are going to make money that you have to spend money, sometimes alot of money to get the right tools to get the job done right. If you dont spend it, you are forever one step away from where you want to be, but if you do go out on a limb a bit the benefits can be exponential. Sometimes it doesnt even have to be all that much id you think about what you are doing.
To just throw money at it without thinking of the chemistry of the rest of the team gets you nowhere fast... just ask Tom Hicks. He decided (but only for a couple of years) to spend with Big George but he didn't spend it on the right folks, folks that could have a chance of doing well in this park... and he's still paying for them (ARod, Park)...

I think that that is Steinbrenners downfall really-- that he hasnt gotten yet-that some may try to emulate-- huge money for huge players---It never works, or at least never seems to--- baseball is not an individual sport but a team sport. It takes 25 ( and usually 40 or 50 over the course of a season) individual pieces of the puzzle with specific abilities to be able to pull off good team play. Someone like ARod may hit 45 HR's (38 of them when his team is up 9-2) and look great on paper, but without a LH relief specialist who can get that one guy out, the late inning pinch runner and defensive specialists, middle relievers and set up guys that can hold the line , solid utility guys, a good fourth and fifth starter, a closer you can count on--games will still be lost., no matter how much money is spent on a few marquee players.

Many games are won or lost on smaller things

Smarter teams ( imho) view the whole team together and put together all the necessary skill sets (or as many as is possible ) in order to compete on a high level and not as a series of individuals who might, maybe, hopefully, pull together, play over their head and make a miracle happen.

The Red Sox went to great lengths earlier this year to get a back up catcher that could handle a knuckleball---definitely not as sexy a move as signing someone like Clemens but a cheap move that, the way things had been going may win them an extra five games this year just in non passed balls when Wakefield is pitching.

To me it is just as much the small seemingly insignificant parts of the game that some dont pay all that much attention to that really make or break a team. Some teams that dont have Yankee money have had to look hard to analyze exactly what is important in order to remain competitive and have come up with some what may have been initially unexpected, solutions

Its almost like watching well played chess, on which i am no expert but I would venture a guess great players dont view their boards as kings and queens only but know exactly how to get the absolute most out of their pawns as well.

To a certain extent some teams have had to take that approach, but of course just like in any business there are those who are content to lay back, not do the hard work and receive a minimal reward, or have some hazy, disconnected nebulous, nonrealistic 'strategy" that just doesnt work, lack the organizational skills to make things happen, really dont care all that much and are willing to keep things as they are or just do things the way they"have always been done"

Its hard to tell what motivates owners, and as much as all of them would like to win, unfortunately I dont think that it is necessarily way way up on the priority list for many of them except as some vague hope.

Most of them still profit handsomely and maintain at least fairly well respected places in their communities as long as they dont completely destroy a team.

I'd like to see MLbaseball require more of them, but I dont know how a mechanism could be put in place that could ensure that

====I was writing while you were posting === welcome back btw-good to see you in these parts!---Great story about Larsen---Gates Brown was the only major leaguer I ever saw smoke on the field, quite a sight for an 11 year old, he wasnt throwing a perfect game in the world series at the time though, he was bullpen catching with a butt hanging from his mouth. I forget who was pitching.