GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

The 'family section' of Chavez Ravine(so called because you can't buy beer out there) is a fun spot to watch a game. My only gripe is that the outfield bleachers are cut off from the rest of the park, so you can't even walk around the ball park. It's like you're herded out in the outfield, as a 'seperate class.' I can only hope that is remedied in upcoming renovatons.

Still, I agree, that it is a good time out there.

If you guys like reading Baseball books you might try Thomas Boswell (of course you guys probably already know him).

If you haven't read Why Time Begins on Opening Day it's wonderful. He also has others... they're collections of his columns essentially, but they really bring back the memories...

yes indeed starman... "let's get it on"... in about an hour and a half...

I'll pick that up Tom it sounds good---

I feel like a kid at Christmas today

And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Without a doubt, this is the best day of the year. Everything's set back to zero. Here's to a great 2006.

Thats Manny being Manny, thats his real hair and sometimes he blurs the line between being a player and being a fan. Last year he was on first when the opposing dugout was trying to get the firstbasemans attention --he almost got picked off while tapping the first baseman on the shoulder and pointing into the dugout. Its life with Manny.

Varitek drives in two as i write......

yep... heard that... after seeing what the evil empire did to Zito in the second I don't feel so bad about Millwood's outing... of course I wasn't going crazy anyway... Millwood said something like 'well I'm pretty sure I might lose another game this season"... but was unhappy (of course) that he couldn't win on opening day... I still think he'll be a good leader for the pitchers and in the room...

Took in my first game at Dodger Stadium, vs the Braves. Entering the game, Nomar and Lofton were on the DL. During the game, Jeff Kent had to leave after getting hit by a pitch, Furcal was kicked in the shin and had to leave,no-name Saenz at first for Nomar, botched a bunt towards him, and had to leave after twisting something, and rookie Loney ,replecing Saenz at first, took a line drive off his bare hand and had to finish the game with a swelling hand, as they were out of players. The Dodgers blew a 5 nothing first inning lead and lost.

On the positive side, Bill Muellar is stroking, and the Dodgers are scoring tons of runs-they're just giving up more.The renovated Dodger Stadium is sweet, and it felt just fine to settle in with a Dodger Dog, coke, and peanuts thrown by Roger, baseball's premier peanut vendor.

Roger has been a peanut vendor since Dodger Stadium opened in '62. His stock in trade is tossing peanut bags behind his back, 20 or 30 rows with unerring accuracy. He's been a guest on Johnny Carson, among other shows, and is still amazingly youthful, and loves his work. It's really Roger's ballpark and he just lets us visit.

yeah... I've seen that Roger guy on TV (a long time ago)... glad you've already had a chance to take in the great game in person hiway... I'll probably get out there soon since I only live about 10 minutes away...

Looks like the R A Dickey knuckleball experience didn't start out too well... gave up 6 home runs early... they said it was "fading onto the fat part of the bat" (his words) instead of "fluttering"... yet Charlie Hough was successful here... of course, that was in the old ballpark, not the jetstream launching pad this one is...

Im not familar with Dickey, but tried the knuckleball (like a knucklehead) when I was in HS, its great if it doesnt spin ( did you see Bard's 3 passed balls the other day?), but if it rotates even twice on the way in it travels at least 450 feet ....I gave that pitch up...

Glad to hear that Dodger Stadium so far made it without being destroyed... Im already missing watching Bill Mueller...but Im enjoying this..... Beckett and Papelbon are exciting pitchers to watch, Crisp is like the wind.....

I though this was sort of bizarre. I got my 2006 MLB Spring catalog in the mail today. I thumbed through it quickly before before sending it to the trash heap. On the Hall of Fame page they had the "Cooperstown Collection" of retro jerseys for the price of 249.99 ---sorta good looking for the right fan I suppose--Koufax, Clemente, Ernie Banks, Nellie Fox and Dwight Gooden

Dwight Gooden?

Since when is he in the HOF?

Hello MLB-is anyone awake over there?

what the heck is up with the Tigers and the Brewers?

Someone should save that sentence --Its probably never been uttered before..at least it hasn't been for a very long time...

speaking of long time..The Red Sox won their second 2-1 game in less than a week.

2-1?

The Red Sox?

When does that happen?

Im liking this pitching and defense thang..

It struck me yesterday how much I miss watching Nomar's ritual fidgetting in the batters box- every AB, every pitch --is the exact same little dance each time --which i watched daily for years and years.

Its strange, the little things that become part of the comforts of your life--Any word on how he is recuperating over in Dodgerville?

Nomar is on the 15 day dl after pulling some muscle in batting practice(NOT a good sign).

Hopefully it will only be 15 days-I really want him to have a good year. I haven't heard any word on progress. The whole Dodger team is walking wounded right now.