GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

ah, the time honored bashing of a departed high priced player, by comparing stats with the cheaper replacement.

Kevin Youkilis may turn out to be a surefire hall of famer, but at this point in his career , he can hardly rival Johnny Damon's track record-give it a little time already.

One thing is certain-if Youkilis is the real deal, he won't be making 354 thou for long. When his agent demands 10 million or more, and free agency looms, he may be eventually be known as 'You kill us'-that's a lame joke, but it's what baseball is.

I'll play this game...

---------- OBP SLG OPS RUNS (current season)

Player A .379 .545 .924 19

Player B .334 .547 .881 59

Salary : (current season)

Player A $327,000

Player B $10 Million

Fielding: RF FPCT

Player A: 5.41 .981 (current)

Player B: 4.88 .972 (last year)

Attitude:

Player A: Outstanding

Player B: Lousy (on a good day)

Player A: Ian Kinsler

Player B: Alfonso Soriano

we are not bitter at all and look forward to a very promising future..

(the kid has only played in 43 games due to injury... factor in DeRosa's and Jimenez's numbers and we're just fine)

Edited by Tom Strange

Ididnt mean that to be a JD bashing moment ---It was more like applauding good business sense...

Baseball business decisions arent always good, but once in a while they can be fairly brilliant

For what JD is making, the Red Sox have Beckett, a front line starter who is 10-4, Loretta (All Star At Second), Alex Gonzalez (defensive leader at short) Youkilis with the high OBP and Papelbon (26 saves),

that seems like a fair usage of the funds from abusiness standpoint

of course they have a few dead weight baggage guys that are chewing up payroll too, (Matt Clement and David Wells mostly) so its not all peaches and cream, but once in awhile a stat jumps out that makes your guys look good

yeah... I know what you mean... we're playing TOR right now and the announcer brought up that AJ Burnett and Vincent Padilla were both at about .500 lifetime in similar number of games, TOR had to pay $12 or $13 Million for AJB and we traded Ricardo Rodriguez straight up for Padilla and he's making about $4 million... oh, and Padilla looked strong again tonight...

(and we're still happy with young Ian) :biglaugh:

As I would be, there are different ways aroung baseball than the Steinbrenner way--

After being about 16-1 against the NL, the Sox are 0-3 against the AL D-Rays---They are underated because they are in a tough division--Kazmir is tough--( 2hit shutout)-- and that stupid dome where they play things off of the catwalks is ridiculous,

Anyway Im going back on the road for a few days...

Im going to sound like a broken record, but i'm going to say it again. While it's a given that Steinbrenner throws big money and some players , shortsightedly, that is not what make the Yankees succesful.

Right now the Yankees are winning with no names like Melky Cabrera.

I just don't think you can distinguish the Red Sox from them by much. Boston has thrown huge money for big players, and will continue to do so, as they do whatever they need to do to stay on top. There are maybe 3 teams in baseball that have the resources, and the pressures from media and fans, to do whatever it takes. The Yankees, Red Sox and Mets exist in the baseball media center of the universe, and will always be ready with the huge paycheck. It was in the Sox plan to have Arod and Damon right now. If it had worked out, there would have been no need for the creative decisions they've made to compensate, and I agree they've made good decisions.

The point is they would have preferred not to, and ultimately the Sox owners are no different than Steinbrenner. The Yankees have had to scramble this year with Sheffield and Matsui going down, and have made some pretty good decisions themselves.

"...that is not what makes the Yankees successful"...?

...but it is one very important part of the puzzle wouldn't you say?

That they spend the most may not have been their initial intention but they (NYY, BOS) are going after the best talent available as well, and as the agents play the offers against each other they usually end up with it as they (as you've pointed out) have the deepest pockets...

I'm not saying (and I don't think the scribes are either) that throwing money around is the only way, I'm saying (and I think they are, too) that one of the reasons that "name talent" seems to migrate, for the most part, to the AL is because that is where the money gets spent. It's just a fact. The conjecture is that it gets spent in order to keep up with NYY and BOS... and I just don't know how one could argue with that... short of a player giving a 'home town discount' (few and far between) the NYY and BOS have the deepest pockets and if a team wants the player that is going after the money they have to spend accordingly (especially if NYY or BOS are interested in the player)...

...and that's why most of the talent migrates to the AL... more teams spend more money there... as a rule (not always) the way to the playoffs is through the wallet and the playoffs is where the gravy is at the bottom of the bowl... (i.e. extra profit)

no arguement here, tom.

Actually I'm done yapping about George and the Yankees. Obviously, whatever baseball buttons can be pushed with me are Yankee related. As much as I don't consider myself a 'fan' anymore, at least in the bleeding pinstripes sense, my relationship with the team goes back to my earliest memories, and I realize I still care.

It would be nice to get to Yankee Stadium more than once every 10 years though.

Spending the summer at Dodger Stadium ain't bad though.

It would be nice to get to Yankee Stadium more than once every 10 years though.

Spending the summer at Dodger Stadium ain't bad though.

no argument from me on the second statement... it's one of the nicest places I've ever seen a game... I hope the changes you've been talking about don't ruin it...

as for the first statement... I've still gotta get there...

that doesnt sound all bad , home of Maury Wills and Sandy Koufax--you could be here in he middle of podunk.with me...

Actauly I got to spend yesterday watching the Babe Ruth 14 yo's (who were pretty good) in a regional tournament game......an exciting 9-8 come from behind.....

but it seems to be apparent that ,,you cant take the boy away from the Yankees, but you cant take the yankees away from he boy...

i relearned a similar lesson in my forties that I had forgotten and was glad to recapture-that some things are in your blood --like DNA, -----that for better or for worse are part of your identity because (once upon a time...) they reached so far into you that they will never let go

FWIW

MLB TEAM PAYROLL (US$)

1. NY Yankees 198,662,180

2. Boston 120,100,524

3. LA Angels 103,625,333

4. Chicago Sox 102,875,667

5. NY Mets 100,901,085

6. LA Dodgers 99,176,950

7. Chicago Cubs 94,841,166

8. Atlanta 92,461,852

9. Houston 92,101,503

10. San Francisco 90,862,064

11. Seattle 87,924,500

12. Philadelphia 87,148,333

13. St. Louis 86,912,217

14. Detroit 82,302,069

15. Baltimore 72,585,712

16. Toronto 71,915,000

17. San Diego 68,897,179

18. Texas 65,129,570

19. Minnesota 63,810,048

20. Washington 63,267,500

21. Oakland 62,322,054

22. Cincinnati 59,162,015

23. Arizona 58,884,226

24. Cleveland 56,795,867

25. Milwaukee 50,540,000

26. Kansas City 47,294,000

27. Pittsburgh 46,867,750

28. Colorado 40,791,000

29. Tampa Bay 35,417,967

30. Florida 14,344,500

120M is alot, but standing next to 198m, (78 Mil differenbce ) it doesnt look as large. its a necessity at this point to compete, that I think the owner, John Henry, ( even though he has more money than God, but not quite as much as Geo.Steinb.) is genuinely trying to bring the salaries down and be not only fiscally reponsible but work for good baseball all around the league horn.

another FWIW==even though Boston is lopped in with LA, NY, Chicago, Atlanta, and Houston in those first few teams in payroll, Boston as a city is about the size of Seattle or Milwaukee who are apparently considered as being more to the 'small market' side of thing.

It wasnt this way about four or five years ago...ive never ever been one to tout owners but this group that is in now, knows what they are doing and plays the other side of the game, outside the lines, well.

Gees............ I could go for a dodger dog

(or whatever they are called)

Cardinals won today. Trailing Houston by 2 with 2 strikes and 2 outs in the 9th they tied it off Brad Lidge and then won in the 10th. Oswalt was brought in to pitch the 10th and threw 2 pitches to Pujols; the 1st was a brush back pitch under his chin, the next.....gone.

The reason I bring this up is because I think there's a possibility that just released Sidney Ponson was causing bad chemistry on the team. They were playing the worst I've seen them play since moving to STL in 2000. Now they seem like the team I'm used to. I don't know, it's just weird.

Houston is a GOOD team. They benefitted from getting to the WS last year. They believe in themselves more. I think Pujols' home run in last year's NLCS got to Lidge on some level, though.

AL playoffs are going to be very interesting this year. Bos/NYY. CHI/Det. One of those 4 will be the "weakest link". Watch the team that wins the AL west go to the WS. That would be funny.

What's up with the Reds? STL is trying to gift wrap the division for them and they apparently don't want it. Houston and Milwaukee are catching up. Unless one of those 4 teams does a nosedive or gets really hot, this race too will be fun to watch.

Man, that David Ortiz is a bad mutha.

Liriano looks amazing....

Weve been having some great gamesagainst the White Sox--they are a very strong team all the way around, its been good to see two very very good teams competing--(of course it helps that my guys are on the upside..)

Man, that David Ortiz is a bad mutha.

You have no idea--you should see him everyday----He has 8 HR's in the last 9 games,

23 go ahead RBI's this year

-He redefines what it is to 'be in the zone"...

There is an aura-a special something about him that doesnt come along but once in a very great while-Ive seen alot of great ballplayers -He is the greatest clutch hitter I have ever seen....

Id like to know what the career record is for walkoff hits because in just three years I bet if he doesnt own it he is getting mighty close

Ortiz is amazing-

too bad he doesn't play the field though-I hate the dh-always have

It was instituted at a time when the AL was way overshadowed by the NL, in an attempt to breathe some life and offense into the game.

There is no need for it anymore, as the AL is now the power league.

DH is not a 'position'.

Whether it's fair or not, Ortiz' accomplishments will always be clouded by not playing the field. It's one of the favorite arguements among radio sports yappers when they discuss MVP's.

I see the Cardinals also picked up Jeff Weaver from the Angels to help bolster their struggling pitching staff,usually a stronghold on a LaRussa/Duncan coached team...It must have been a bittersweet day in the Weaver household last week,whom the Cardinals acquired from the LA Angels for a minor leaguer and cash considerations...I could just hear Angels manager,Mike Soscia after he called Jeff Weaver into his office..."I've got some good news and some bad news,Jeff...The good news is,we're calling your brother Jered up from the minors to pitch with us...The bad news is,we're putting you on waivers to make room for him"...That's baseball,I guess...

I've missed both Sox games,but it certainly seems like it's been a 'clash of the titans',...a couple of heavyweights really going at it...You just can't beat good baseball,with good timely hitting,clutch pitching and a plethora of all-stars,to boot...

I have to agree that Liriano should have made the all-star team....I imagine the reasoning behind it was not enough innings pitched...Definitely having a better year than Mark Beuhrle...

I don't know what it is about the western divisions in both leagues,but they seem right now to be all bunched up in mediocrity...Only 5 games separating first and last place in both divisions...I got to hand it to some of those teams...They have to play good hard baseball all year....They all know they don't have the safety net of the wild card---either win your division or go home...If the Tigers,Twins,Bosox,Chisox and even the Yankees continue to play good baseball the rest of the year,you could have a couple of real good AL teams with good w/l records that don't make the postseason...

DH is not a 'position'.

Whether it's fair or not, Ortiz' accomplishments will always be clouded by not playing the field. It's one of the favorite arguements among radio sports yappers when they discuss MVP's.

I dont know if they are viable arguments when choosing some one who is most valuable to his team... there are those that are biased againt a DH, or a pitcher (Like Pedro in 00- who was entirely left off of one ballot and came in second) and wont cast their votes for them, but the numbers and contributions still hold up.

Last year some sabermetricians ( maybe I can dig it up )took all the offensive statistics of Ortiz and also figured in statistically as if he had been the worst fielding 1B in the league ( he is actually a pretty good fielder) and did the same for the other MVP candidates to figure out numerically actual measurable value in win shares to their team. Pluses and minuses..

Ortiz still came out on top, even if he had been the leagues worst fielder.

I realize that awards voting isnt an objective exercise but its too bad that his value is underplayed because his 'position' still isn't respected and is being adjusted to by fans and writers after 30+ years. Unfortunately like it or hate it, it IS part of the game(at least for now)

DH does change the game, but the argument whether or not the DH should be or not be belongs somewhere else, not imo in the MVP voting nor should it cast a cloud over players performances.

but it will...

no matter-he is still the greatest clutch hitter I have ever seen---

Edited by mstar1

i know the Red Sox are on their last pitcher right now. there has been a little of everything in this game---a dramatic game tier with 2outs in the bottom of the ninth, the worse blunder i have seen on the bases in a while that would have won it for the Whites in the 11th, the Reds working out of a bases loaded no outs jam in about the 14th-----its just going on and on and on.....

earlier in the game the announcer said that since players from both teams will be going directly to the AllStar game that they will be traveling together---not so sure if that is a good idea....

well I shouldnt have posted--it ended within a few minutes after the last post----

Iguchi finally drove in the winning run in the 19th

BREAK

it wasn't on here but sounds like it was a good one!

...back to the DH... they're never going to give it up in the AL, even if the owners wanted to the players union wouldn't give up the positions... so they might as well use it in the NL as well... at least then they'd both be the same...

...and that's from me, the person who severely dislikes the DH...

I agree that the players union won't give up the dh-

there's no way the NL will ever adopt it though. They take it a source of pride that their game isn't 'diluted'.

It seems like every time a NL pitcher manages to get a hit,a hometown announcer will use it as a springboard to bash the dh.

I was at Dodger Stadium on Saturday, in 100 degree weather, thankfully in the shade. I've been to so many games this year, I'M ready for the all star break!

Hoping the AL wins again, but really, who cares. Deciding home field advantage by this exhibition was a bone headed idea.

Oh-the exception to the 'home town announcer' is Vin Scully, IMO the greatest announcer maybe ever and certainly now. He's been doing Dodger games since 1952!!! and hasn't missed a beat. A national treasure that will not be there forever. To those who can, I say enjoy him while you got him.

Wow I had no idea Scully was still working--that must be agreat pleasure to listen to him, a few months back I made note in the In Memoriam forum when Curt Gowdy died. Its hard to put a high enough value on those voices that were the background to millions of people on thousands of summer nights. There has always been something in the friendliness of Scully's voice that makes him very easy to listen to when he is calling a game....

There is nothing quite like those announcers of that generation...

great stuff!

Now----- lets hope no one f's up there swing for the year tonight during the HR Derby,

Even though he can put on a show Im hoping Papi gets eliminated early and I dont have to worry about that