GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Good game today-as the sox got 3 in the 8th to tie the Angels (that middle relief thing again-this time the Angels unraveled)-and won in the 11th on (what else) another Ortiz walkoff hit.

Rumor has it that the Sox got turned down on Coco Crisp for Mark Buerhle today, the ChiSox apparently are still fishing for a centerfielder, but other than a nice catch here and there Crisp has been shaky at the plate and in the field. Maybe Epstein was hoping nobody was noticing

who would they trade for Tejada and where would they put him once they got him? Move Young back to second? Put Tejada on 3rd or DH?

Makes for interesting scenarios

maybe Coco just needs a little time to get used to the pressure of playing in/for Boston...
Maybe..its not for some players, Renteria looked like hell here last year, but he seems to do better other places. Some players thrive in the atmosphere (Like Schilling) and some wilt.

I'd give guys time to adjust -but its almost August and there is a pennant race on, how much time do you give him? He misreads a lot of balls hit to him, regularly breaking the wrong way and doesnt have a great arm in center. Saturday he airmailed the cutoff man (which is one sure way to get under my skin) which led to a 5 run inning for the Angels, besides he is only hitting in the .260's.

Yea we're a tough crowd here in New England, I know, but having a leadoff type hitter who doesnt get on and a centerfielder with limited range and a fair arm at best-whats the point?

He will develop into a above average player someday but may be a better fit somewhere else, I dont know if he is going to be the CF'er for the future that was originally hoped...maybe, but there is a way to go to get there.

Its a weird thing this time of year weighing your present needs and finding the balance with your future goals ........

please repeat tomorrow...

Well we got past Jered Weaver yesterday (tough kid), and have Schilling going tonight which, especially at home, is always optimistic.

I'll be doing my part in front of the boob tube for you. You might get it --its the ESPN sunday night game.

Thanks! we'll take it... here's what today's "Farm Report" said:

This is interesting. ESPN’s Jayson Stark reports that the Rangers have set the bar for Miguel Tejada with a four-player offer centered around Hank Blalock, but the Orioles are "unhappy with the pitching coming back" in the Texas offer. Nonetheless, the offer itself has upped the ante for the Angels, Dodgers and Astros. Is Daniels actually hoping to get Tejeda, or is he merely bidding up the pot?

Even more interesting. Stark writes that the Rangers have offered Brad Wilkerson, sometimes as a tag team with Rod Barajas, for pitching and that he’s made offers to Houston (for Brad Lidge), Cleveland (for Jake Westbrook). Daniels has also "kicked the tires" on one of the White Sox starters (the slumping Mark Buehrle?). No takers as of yet.

Good thing there's virtually no chance that Texas will have to face the mighty Royals in the playoffs, huh?

And now I see where Tejada says that he doesn't want to play third and doesn't want out? But says he'll play third if he has to, maybe Young will move again? Or maybe Kinsler to third, Young back to second and Tejada at SS? I say whoever has the strongest arm goes over there... AND he doesn't want to leave Baltimore? HUH? That's all I've heard all season... he may be saying that now, but I'm thinking that all of the stuff he said earlier 'broke the camel's back' if you know what I mean... we'll see... the pitching coming back was Diamond (of our promising DVD: Danks/Volqez/Diamond) trio... but as yet I'd only heard of three players (Blalock, Diamond and Arias who is a promising SS)...

Interesting that they've talked to HOU about Lidge as well... do they just want insurance or do they think that Otsuka is better in set up?

Anyway, looking at the ESPN rumor page... there's a lot "in the air" (of course, ESPN could just be making it all up)... but I'm glad that our boy wonder is busy... we're thinking that Hicks has some confidence in him now because of how he's done these last few months and might be willing to up the payroll...

Edited by Tom Strange

Nonetheless, the offer itself has upped the ante for the Angels, Dodgers and Astros. Is Daniels actually hoping to get Tejeda, or is he merely bidding up the pot?

I'd love to sit in with a GM this time of the year, just to watch the poker games that are going on between them , and to see up close the games that are being played behind the game. Its an intriguing, whole other part of the game, thats not as easy to see, but effects teams just as much

You have to wonder how many of the rumors are planted, how many are real, and how many GM's are going in the opposite direction of what they are projecting waiting for their opening. Im guessing most of them

Every year rumors fly as some sort of smokescreen, but hardly any of them are accurate.. The next 25 hours could have a few surprises

Good Luck!

The Rangers have sent cash to Colorado for 31-year-old veteran catcher Miguel Ojeda.

This must mean that they have a trade in the works that includes Barajas...

Texas has dealt RHP Bryan Corey to Boston for 22-year-old RHP Luis Mendoza, who has split the season between High A and AA. ?????

It looks like a typical "Yankee" type acquisition, Abreau's numbers are sliding down for awhile and he still holds a big contract, but he is a big name which Geo. likes, The short porch might help Abreau. plus they get to upgrade their number five starter all without giving up anyone on their major league roster. In the division that may come down to two or three games, its a good (but expensive) add.

What do you know about Bryan Corey?

Looks like he's going to be our get one lefty out guy...

Schillings struggling so far......

"I don't like what our players are going through, and it seems like every year it gets worse," Showalter said of the trade-deadline rumor mill. "But every team is going through it right now, except maybe the Yankees. I think their guys just sit back and wonder who's coming."

Buck the politician... you can bet that Daniels isn't doing anything unless it has Buck's blessing...

I don't know much about Corey, maybe that's also a good sign because that means he didn't come in from the pen with a can of gasoline... he was in our bullpen and had a decent ERA...

Kinsler just went yard so we're up 6-0 in the third... I glanced over at your game and saw the LA/AA already had 6 on the board in the 3rd...

Where's hiway been? and Simontheloaded?

The stRangers are hitting BP tonight... I hope they've woken up finally... this nap has been too long!

this nap has been too long!

Yea it moved north, I dont know who is on the field tonight, they vaguely look like the same guys, but its not the Red Sox, Schilling has been replaced by some clone who is not him.

down 6-1 in the third.

I dont know where everyone else is, maybe they are sick of me playing amateur GM, or hopefully they are actually at the park

this nap has been too long!

Yea it moved north, I dont know who is on the field tonight, they vaguely look like the same guys, but its not the Red Sox, Schilling has been replaced by some clone who is not him.

down 6-1 in the third.

I just looked at Mendoza's stats 1-5 6.38 in AA, He was a huge prospect and signed at 16, then has sort of bogged in and around A Ball for the last 6 years.

Corey's only pitched 22 innings in his career but is .147 against lefties, so Im assuming that is where he is going. He'll be the get one lefty out in a pinch guy.

I dont know where everyone else is, maybe they are sick of me playing amateur GM, or hopefully they are actually at the park

mombak

All right,where's Johniam?...Hey guy,it's been a busy week...How did that Cubs-Cards series go?...Oh wait!...My son just told me :dance: ....Sorry,guy,don't mean to rub it in...My son works at a St. Louis sports bar and all the owners like to give him the business for being a Cubs fan...He couldn't wait to go into work today....All right,so the Cubs' season reached it's zenith on July 30th...It's been a tough year---I enjoyed watching them look like a real baseball team for a change....

hey Simon! how's come Buck always goes to and from the mound with his one hand on his hip/in his pocket? ...and then he swings the free hand kind of like he's skipping... ya know it does kinda look.. um... well, you know what I mean...

what are the D'backs doing? ...tonight I'm kind of wondering how the Royals (players and manager) feel when they see all of this activity every year? ...I think they're maybe 'waiting with anticipation for a ticket out of hades'...

I've been lounging at Laguna Beach for the last 4 days-closest thing to a vacation in I don't know when.

While I was asleep the Dodgers broke their losing streak, the Strangers no longer ,got Lee, and the Yankees, in a move that I predict will cause no end of problems when Matsui and Sheffield are healthy,got Bobby. Either Sheffield is done as a Yankee, or Abreu will not live up to the rep, or Matsui will never fully recover. I'm hoping the Matsui scenario does not happen-don't care otherwise.

Haven't taken all the moves and whatnot in yet.

I have been going to more games than ever this year tho. 2 Dodger games in the last homestand, and next Sunday it's Angel Stadium against Texas in seats right behind home plate ( or close to it)

I'll wave to you, Tom.

I'll look for ya!

as for NYY, they can rotate the four of them in and out of DH... when they were here last week Damon just didn't look right (hurt?) but that didn't stop them from sweeping us...

Matsui sure seems like a good guy... and I think Sheffield might get dragged down (and into) the Bonds thing...

Three way? BALT/HOU/TEX? I know it's a cheesy thing to do, but there's a lot of scenarios here and I can't type a synopsis without filling in info so I'll just cut and paste. (from newbergreport.com)

With eight hours to go until the non-waiver trade deadline, here’s what’s happening according to various media sources. And what I’m starting to suspect is that Jon Daniels, while in hot pursuit of Miguel Tejada, might not actually be thinking of Miggy as a Ranger. This may actually be a clandestine attempt to land Astros ace Roy Oswalt.

There is an intersection of three clubs that seem to come together over and over again: Texas, Houston and Baltimore. In the last 24 hours, there have been multiple rumors involving Texas and Baltimore, Texas and Houston, and the three of them all in one huge deal.

The Rangers, of course, want and need pitching. Houston wants bats and are evidently feeling some sting after losing out on Carlos Lee (for whom I already have a pretty bad case of mancrush, by the way). Astros owner Drayton McLane tells the Houston Chronicle that "we've certainly been working hard to work out (a trade on) several players. We've worked hard on Carlos Lee. It wouldn't be right to comment on those two (Tejada and Soriano) that are still in the process."

The Baltimore Sun reports this morning that the Rangers offer for Miguel Tejada includes Hank Blalock and John Danks, among others. This is the first time that anyone has reported the name of any of the "prospects" alleged to have been included in the package. Baltimore has rejected the deal, according to the Sun, because it doesn’t include quality big league pitching.

That story raises a red flag. Would Daniels actually surrender Danks without getting pitching back? Unlikely.

But yesterday, Texas, Houston and Baltimore allegedly discussed a menage a tois that would have ended with Oswalt pitching in Arlington, so perhaps Danks was actually on the table for Oswalt. Houston has allegedly pulled Oswalt off the market in large part, according to one source, because they don’t want him landing with the Rangers (who, last I checked, are neither in their division nor their league).

Fox’s Ken Rosenthal explains that "the Astros, one major-league executive says, feared that the Orioles would flip Oswalt, their most prized acquisition for Tejada, to Houston's cross-state rival, the Texas Rangers. A National League executive disputes that theory, saying the Astros ‘knew all along’ that the Orioles were trying to flip Oswalt. The executive says that the Orioles indiscreetly shopped all of the players they were offered to other clubs, calling it ‘no way to do business.’ The Orioles apparently intended to trade Oswalt to the Rangers for third baseman Hank Blalock, Class AAA shortstop Joaquin Arias and one of the Rangers' top three pitching prospects – left-hander John Danks, right-hander Thomas Diamond or right-hander [Edinson] Volquez."

ESPN’s Jayson Stark writes that "as the deadline loomed, only Texas was still actively trying to put some kind of deal together [for Tejada] -- but was looking for a third club to get the pieces in place the Orioles wanted." Rosenthal says much the same thing: "as for Tejada, the Orioles still have a chance to trade him to the Rangers for a similar package, a major-league official says. But that might be their only chance to complete a Tejada blockbuster."

Meanwhile, another set of rumors involves Texas and Houston dealing directly with one-another. However, I’m not convinced that these rumors actually reflect something separate and apart from the larger story involving Baltimore.

ESPN’s Steve Phillips reports that Texas has offered Blalock to Houston for beleaguered closer Brad Lidge while Baseball Prospectus author and Newberg Report friend Will Carroll reports that the Rangers have offered Brad Wilkerson and Rod Barajas to the Astros for a package including Lidge, Morgan Ensberg and young pitcher Fernando Nieve.

Houston, by the way, has allegedly terminated discussions with Washington. Both Los Angeles clubs, according to Rosenthal, have pulled out of discussions with Baltimore.

Putting it all together, assuming the veracity of these reports (dangerous stuff, I know), because they won’t deal with Washington anymore, Houston’s got one chance left to land a big bat, and that’s Tejada. Houston wants still more bats (Wilkerson and Barajas).

Baltimore has one chance left to get something for Tejada, and that’s Texas. Texas wants Oswalt. Baltimore wants young pitching (Danks and Nieve?). And what stands in the way of something getting done may be Dayton McLane’s fear of the PR nightmare arising from Astros fans watching Roy Oswalt toes the rubber up the road in Arlington.

In the end, my best guess (well, really, my best fantasy) is that Texas is trying to land Oswalt and Lidge by giving up Danks, Blalock, Wilkerson and Barajas, with Danks, Nieve and Blalock landing in Baltimore, and Tejada, Wilkerson and Barajas landing in Houston. Ensberg’s role in this could be as Blalock’s replacement in Texas, or as a trade chip that could bring Scott Linebrink back to the Rangers (or, possibly, in a platoon with Blalock in Baltimore).

The DMN’s Evan Grant writes that Daniels continue to talk to "Stand" Pat Gillick about Jon Lieber, who is owed $7 million in 2007, the final year of his three-year deal.

Kat O’Brien reports in the Star-Telegram that the inimitable Dave Littlefield wants Danks and Diamond for 106 year old setup man Roberto Hernandez, who will be a free agent in two months.... Uh huh.

O’Brien adds that the Astros are now asking for Carlos Lee in exchange for Lidge.

At the 11th hour (and after dropping six on the road to Washington and Pittsburgh), San Francisco has placed Jason Schmidt on the market after previously stating that the right hander was not available.

My dream that Barry Zito would be removed from the AL West pennant race is evidently dead. The Mets are now dangling Lastings Milledge (the object of Billy Beane’s desire) to San Francisco in pursuit of Schmidt.

Florida (yes...Florida) is now said to be in the driver’s seat to acquire Soriano. The Nationals want quality young pitchers and Florida’s got plenty of it. Look for Florida to spin Soriano off in a heartbeat, probably to Detroit or Minnesota, if they pull off that deal.

According to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com, Texas has traded AAA reliever Joselo Diaz to Kansas City for OF/DH Matt Stairs, giving the Rangers a veteran left-handed bat for the stretch run.
T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com is now reporting that Texas sent AAA reliever Jesse Chavez to Pittsburgh as the return for RHP Kip Wells.
Edited by Tom Strange

I have 4:08 so's I guess all the frantic moving is over now, I just got in and I still havent heard much of anything--I cant get into my regular sites that are all jammed up, and ESPN has got the NFL Today on ( Wha???). Im guessing nothing huge moved around.

Wells record looks bad but apparently he has pitched well for the last two months, so he might be ahelp for your guys, have no idea what Stairs is up to, but have always liked him.....

Guess Im going to have to wait for the news,

espn.com:

The Cubs traded their former ace to the Dodgers on Monday in exchange for Cesar Izturis, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported.

The Dodgers also acquired shortstop Julio Lugo from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in exchange for highly-touted minor league prospect Joel Guzman and fellow minor-leaguer Sergio Pedroza, Stark reported.

Lugo will play second base for a while Jeff Kent is sidelined by an oblique injury and will reassess his position when Kent returns.

Edited by Tom Strange

What the Dodgers want with another shortstop is a mystery to me. It appears they're doing everything they can to bury Cesar Isturis-only one of the best shortstops in the game, and a better than average hitter.

When Isturis got hurt last year they traded for Furcal, thus assuring Isturis of losing his position. Now that he's back they've played him at third ,where he's been brilliant. He's lost that position to the guy who's name I forget they just traded for, and said they'd move him to second. Now they've got this Lugo guy for that role until (if) Kent returns.

In my opinion, Isturis is better than all those guys-including Furcal. If any team needs a premium shortstop, I know where they can find one.

ah-I just read that the Dodgers traded Isturis for Maddux.

A brilliant move-trade a premium shortstop in his prime for an old pitcher. I love Maddux, but how much does he really have left.

Good for Cesar though. LA screwed with him royally. A typical case of they don't know what they've got till it's gone.

Well looks like we are pretty much standing pat. I just watched an interview with Theo Epstein and he said that they wanted to add to the major league roster and had several things in the works but the asking price was way too high and that they were not willing to sacrifice the teams long term goals. Which strikes me as sound.

The development system is excellent and there are some great prospects, especially pitchers, that I'd hate to see go too easily. Ive seen that way too many times before (prospect Jeff Bagwell to Houston for the immortal Larry Anderson comes to mind....)