GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

gee... the home plate umpire... Rob Drake... let's see he's a AAA ump when not doing ML games, lives in Buena Park about 9.2 miles from Angels Stadium... is he an Angels fan? is his lifelong dream to have an impact on a pennant race?

he's an umpire, it's all about him...and wants to factor in.

How'd he do? hmmm, he tossed Eaton for hitting a batter?

Just got back from Angel Stadium. I showed up but the Rangers didn't.

I felt the ejection of Eaton in the first inning was a bad call. He had just given up a 3 run homer, then overthrew the next pitch up, in and to the backstop. The ump threw him out for throwing at the hitter, which he may have been doing, but he didn't come close, and a warning would have sufficed. It makes the umpire a factor in the game, having to bring in a new pitcher cold-and in the first inning yet.

I lived like the elite for a day though. I parked literally at the front door of the Stadium, and went immediately through the clubhouse restaurant to my seat. 3 minutes from car to seat. 9 rows up behind home plate, and waited on. I got a nice pastrami sandwich just for kicks, and it was almost as good as some I've had in the Bronx (I said ALMOST).

A tighter game would have been welcome, but I'm not gonna start complaining.

Did the batter get hit? All I remember is the ball buzzing by him and caroming off the backstop. Got all caught up in the umpire nonsense after that.

nah... he didn't get hit, but it was behind him... Eaton swears he was just trying to move him off the plate with a sinker at the hands... must've gotten away from him, huh...

I see that one of our "bright young prospects" is up from AAA to start tomorrow... Edinson Volquez, he's very talented but still learning "how" to pitch... he's 6-6 with a 3.21 ERA this year in AAA... one good thing about him (and Diamond) is that at each level he gets beaten on pretty good (still KOs a lot of folks though) when he first gets there but then improves as he figures things out... we'll see tomorrow... could be a good outing could be disaster... he's 23 out of the Dominican and they call him "little Pedro"...

oh well, a split with the Angels although the games went opposite of what I thought they would... didn't see you hiway, although I did see two very talented blondes in denim shorts they kept showing...

you mean the camera guys didn't pick me out to show off instead of those girls ??

It is a wonder at Angels, and Dodger Stadium, where some of these women come from.

No better bait than the possibility of meeting a young athlete worth millions... in Dallas we call them the Cocaine and Boobjob crowd...

good grief-now the DODGERS have won 10 in a row. They're printing play off tickets in LA as we speak. 3 weeks ago the city had them buried after losing 13 of 14.

I have no idea how it will turn out, but I'm headed to Dodger Stadium on Thursday to enjoy the hysteria while I can.

Thank You Mr Strange, that was interesting. I know that there is alot more gamesmanship in the waiver wire than I am aware of, that spelled out alittle more for me...

They're printing play off tickets in LA as we speak.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

enjoy the moment!!

We have the opposite --The Sox are in a cold streak and people are jumping on the gloom and doom bandwagon, and getting ready to get the snowshovels out for a long cold winter already.....

but we'll see what October brings when October comes

God Bless Yogi

Do you guys have the Yogi AFLAC commercial in your parts of the country?

here it comes on everyday in the 7th inning-although I know it by heart its still a welcome part of everyday life-

I think one of my favorite Yogi quotes is 'I didnt really say, everything I

really said"

:biglaugh:

Edited by mstar1

If you get SI, there's a nice article in this weeks about Joe Mauer (Twins)... it's a good read and a good story... if he keeps on like he's started, he could be a transcendental player...

(I know it's transcendent but thought I'd get in the spirit of Yogi)

It's funny that you bring up Yogi, a friend of mine loaned me his book a couple of weeks ago The Yogi Book-I Really Didn't Say Everything I Said. It only takes about a half hour to read (if you take time to enjoy the pictures and the stories). I didn't know that he grew up with Joe Garagiola. It explains the circumstances around the quotes, so if you want to know them let me know (or buy the book).

A few:

On 'Yogi Berra Day' in St. Louis: "Thank you for making this day necessary."

When workin in the backyard gardening: "The only reason I need these gloves is 'cause of my hands."

After Mickey and Roger went back to back: "It's deja vu all over again."

When asked the time: "You mean now?"

After the '60 series they lost to the Pirates: "We made too many wrong mistakes."

"Slump? I ain't in no slump... I just ain't hitting."

At a White House dinner with Pres Ford: "It was hard to have a conversation with anyone, there were too many people talking."

When giving Joe Garagiola directions to his house: "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

On his way to Cooperstown in 1972: "We're lost, but we're making good time."

"If I didn't wake up, I'd still be sleeping."

"I usually take a two hour nap from 1-4."

"90% of short putts don't go in."

"Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel."

Two stories:

Gerald R Ford says of Yogi at the Gerald Ford Invitational: "I recall one year on the thirteenth hole of Vail Golf Club, Yogi's pants split. In perhaps what was the greatest nonverbal 'Yogi-ism' the crowd roared when they realized that he actually had on Yogi Bear undershorts."

During an interview, Bryant Gumbel told me he wanted to do some word association. The first thing he said was 'Mickey Mantle'. I replied 'What about him?'

Yogi was dressed in a white suit on a hot summers day and the mayors wife said 'You look cool Yogi" to which he replied" You dont look so hot yourself"

Gotta Love Yogi.

I'd like to see some footage of him playing-He was/is on the All-Century team-

It seems like the only footage I ever see of him is either the ball sailing over his head on the Mazeroski HR, him going nuts after Jackie Robinson stole home, or running to hug Don Larsen after the final out.

Im surprised there isnt a documentary on Yogi the ballplayer---who Stengal said was the one guy he had to have in his lineup everyday during those great years.

Can you imagine the conversations Casey and Yogi must have had?

Now that would be a book...

I'm old enough to remember Yogi playing.

He was alternating between catching and playing left field by the time I came around. Elston Howard was becoming the everyday catcher, but Yogi still played every day.

The memories that have stuck are Yogi being a great 'bad ball' hitter. Even as a kid, I wondered at some of the pitches he would reach for and line into the gap.

He also did a great 'cheesy' Yoo-Hoo commercial. (Yoo-Hoo being that strangely awful yet alluring chocolate drink). They superimposed a b and w photo of Yogi's head,on a badly drawn cartoon body of a leftfielder in Yankee Stadium running up the flagpole to catch a fly ball.

I loved Yogi as a kid. He was so much more human to me than Mickey mantle.

I loved Yogi, too... he had such 'understated' talent... but the Mick was my hero... BTW... two good books: The Mick (I think that was the title, a big number 7 on the front) and Number 1 (a book about Billy Martin).

Also, as I think I've mentioned before, I think you'll really enjoy any books by Thomas Boswell... I'd especially recommend Why Time Begins On Opening Day start with that one, it'll make your heart happy...

Oh... and how could I forget what Yogi said about playing left field: "It gets late early out there."

Yogi knew what he was about when he said 'it gets late early here'. as the shadows in Yankee Stadium were notoriusly dark in left field and home as soon as the sun shifted.

I've read the Mick and Number 1. Fine books.

I never warmed as much to the Mick as you would expect a 10 year old Yankee fan to. I used to feel sorry for him actually, as you could see the pain he was going through on those ruined legs. I marvelled at his gargantuan home runs, but more often groaned at his frequent strike outs.

The NY papers did some job of painting Roger Maris as a surly discontent, and Mantle as the fair haired boy, but I was more of a Maris fan. I think time has shown that Maris was given short shrift in NY, and was really the more humble and unaffected of the 2. Heck , he WANTED to play in Kansas City, instead of NY.

Like all kids, I dug Mickey too tho. I'll never forgrt his 'day' at the stadium, when he was retiring-the last reminder of the great Yankee teams, when the Yankees were amazingly awful.

Kids can make strange choices though. My absolute favorite player for a few years was Joe Pepitone !

eww (remembrances of yoohoo -swirling through my memory),

although I would like to see those old B&W commercials (didnt Mantle have a Lucky Strike commercial or something like that?) ummmm.thats a goood smoke....)

I loved Yogi as a kid. He was so much more human to me than Mickey mantle

That mustve been something to see Yogi play, Ive always been drawn to the characters myself that seem so much more human and real which probably explains a good part of my appreciation of Manny Ramirez.

Unfortunately he doesnt speak very much, at least not in the public eye, but when he does he is Manny being Manny every bit as much as Yogi is Yogi, and you usually leave howling in laughter , spitting out your drink or with an "did I just really hear that?" expression on your face that can keep you going for days.

Hopefully somebody, somewhere is writing it down so someday we can have a book of Manny being Manny.

I really like the one of a kinds

Edited by mstar1

Kids can make strange choices though. My absolute favorite player for a few years was Joe Pepitone !

I dont know...

In my very first game at Fenway, Pepitone caught the last out at first and like alot of kids those days i was scrambling near the dugout with my handout asking for the ball as he ran in. He handed the ball to a 20 something blonde with a huge beehive hairdo (..think Marge Simpson) and way too much makeup who quietly locked it in her purse.

Joes hair was equally coiffed in the poofystyle of the day-- sort of like a manicured lawn with no hair out of place despite having just played 9 innings--, I think his claim to fame was to be the first major leaguer to bring a hairdryer into the clubhouse.

Mantle hit 2 HR's in that game, which was legendary enough for a 10 year old, Bobby Richardson went 5 for 5, but its Pepitone that stands out most clearly of all the events of that game

Edited by mstar1

Bronson Arroyo update: Man, the guy even SINGS like Curt Cobain.

My 17 year old daughter seems to have a talent for Berraisms.

A Berraism is a spontaneously spoken funny statement which doesn't make literal sense.

She's only come up with 3 so far, but check these out.

1) at the grocery store

me: We need to go back a few aisles; we forgot something.

daughter: I don't remember forgetting anything.

2) at home

me: Have you seen (such and such)?

daughter: The last time I saw that it was gone.

3) grocery store

me: Should we get any more jars of salsa for you?

daughter: Oh, no. I haven't even started on the one I just started.

ugg-groan

The Sox just got swept by the Royals (the %&$# Royals???) after having lost two to the DRays,

and the toughest part of the schedule for the whole year is still coming

Regroup now or they're done

after these last few weeks I honestly think there is more of chance for peace in the middle east than the Sox being in the Series.

but

God Bless Yogi-i know I know NUTHIN, but the signs sure look bad

Take heart Mstar.

The Dodgers lost 13 of 14 after the all star break and were dead in the water. Now they've won 12 of 13 and in first place.

The Sox will go home, Ortiz will pop one in the ninth, and all will be right with the world again.

The season has a way of balancing itself out, and usually the team that should be there at the end , is.

stiill, the wisdom of Yogi speaks loudest.

sorry for you and "the nation" mstar... but now I don't feel so bad about losing 2 of 3 to them... shiite happens...

like hiway said: it ain't over til it's over

happy birthday hiway!

I sure hope we're "back on track"... we seem to be very streaky now, as opposed to being pretty steady in the first half when we were taking care of it series by series...

some are thinking that the whole Eaton thing in LAA threw things off for the rotation and we're just now getting over it...

Yea Happy Birthday!! enjoy that!

I know things will change around ( I hope) but it cant all be Ortiz and Manny ( 25 game hitting streak)someone else has to do something once in awhile...I think I went through this about a month ago howit takes all 25, right now 2 cylinders are firing which aint doin it.

Its low time---theres a lot of bailing to do to right this ship

BDD_USSRS_06.jpg

This from "The Newberg Report" (good observation)

Adam Eaton threw an impressive 73 percent of his pitches for strikes. None behind anyone’s back, and not many out of the strike zone. Outstanding effort. Outstanding.

(Though I can’t remember a game with so many rifled outs early on. Lots of line drives – for both teams – that went for naught.)

Don’t you have to be able to count on one finger the number of times that a team has intentionally put a Ranger hitter on base to get to Michael Young? The second that Kenji Johjima stood to call for the first of four wide ones to Gary Matthews Jr., I turned to one of my buddies at the game and said: “Slump over.”

First pitch to Young: Slump over.

Thank you, Grover.

That first pitch to Michael Young was a shot to the corner in LF that landed on the chalk, the bases were loaded, all three score with the throw from the cutoff man going into the dugout to allow Young to score as well.