GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

From the Rangers web site...

Young gets his 200th hit of the season

All-Star shortstop Michael Young went 3-for-4, including a triple and a seventh-inning single that marked his 200th hit of the season. Young becomes only the fourth player since 1940 to record four consecutive 200-hit seasons, joining Wade Boggs (seven), Ichiro Suzuki (five) and Kirby Puckett (four).

...and he's a good guy... good for him!

Well yea definitely good for him----i hate to spoil the fun and ask you when he becomes a free agent but he is a hidden jewel down in Texas land at the moment, and there is bound to be a serious bidding war for him when the time comes

/cues Kenny Loggins

.......Please come to Boston..in the springtime....

Edited by mstar1

Haven't checked in in a while...Getting burnt out on a disappointing baseball season...I'd be interested to see what Aramis Ramirez of the Cubs will get on the free agent market...He has been on a holy tear ever since the Cubs were safely out of playoff contention...Another A-Rod,only not quite as lethal...

At this stage,I just look forward to the playoffs starting,pick my favorites and watch some (hopefully) intense,first class baseball,where the best are at their best...

Well yea definitely good for him----i hate to spoil the fun and ask you when he becomes a free agent but he is a hidden jewel down in Texas land at the moment, and there is bound to be a serious bidding war for him when the time comes

/cues Kenny Loggins

.......Please come to Boston..in the springtime....

...and here I always thought that song was by B.W. Stephenson and that you were my friend! ...haruummph!

I don't know when he comes free... or Teixeira for that matter... we'd like both of them to be around for a long time... stRangers for life...

Holy cow!...The Dodgers tied up their game with the Padres in the bottom of the 9th with back-to-back-to-back-to-back(four straight) homers and then won it in the 10th on a two run homer by Nomah after the Padres went ahead by one in the top of the tenth....Those Dodger fans that leave sex and ballgames early to beat traffic must be kicking themselves....

That was amazing, and for sure there were many cars in the parking lot as history was being made.

I have to admit that I've left a game or two in the 8th inning if it seemed like it was out of hand. I would have been forever kicking myself if I had been at that game and done that.

Baseball is such a roller coaster ride. Yesterday it was all about the Dodgers falling out of first, and the Padres having their number, today it's a whole 'nother story, and it's assumed the momentum will carry them to the series.

I've gone to over 20 Dodger games this year, and don't think I've seen more than 10 home runs. That they hit 4 in a row, plus Nomar's, may be an aberration that will happen again when Haley's comet passes.

I am going to tonight's game-I doubt it will equal last night, but I won't be leaving early.

Glad someones having fun out there-----that sounds like a smokin' heart pounding exciting time-which is all just a distant memory to me right now....

Im settin here watching the leaves change and baseball (of the meaningful hometown variety at anyway)seems very long ago......

although this one cracked me up

He has been on a holy tear ever since the Cubs were safely out of playoff contention...Another A-Rod,

:biglaugh:

the 07 schedules are out an early June trip to Dodger Stadium for the Sox

maybe I'll go see the hallowed ground of Chavez Ravine..Someones been saying for a few years its a good place to see a game

well, the Dodgers momentum lasted about 3 innings. Furcal led off the Dodgers 1st with a home run on the first pitch. Suddenly we have a team to rival any murderor's row.

By the 7th inning, it was back to the masses leaving to beat the traffic, and the padres are back in first for the day.

It was still a good game, and I'm already getting depressed about the end of the season. I'm going to try to squeeze one more game in befor the last home game on Sunday.

Mstar, if you're out this way for the Sox, I'll make sure you get good seats. I have never been to Fenway unfortunately, but I know what New York and northeast baseball in general is like. Fenway and Dodger Stadium are different as night and day, but I've come to love the joint.

Well, I do have some Dodger blood in me...

I was born in Southern California (Long Beach)

I saw the Dodgers play in the Coliseum.

I saw Frank Howard swat homers for the Dodgers...

(and later for the Senators).

Duke Snider, Jim Gilliam, Don Demeter, John Rosboro, Larry Sherry, Don Drysdale, Sandy Koufax...

Vin Scully's never can be forgotten voice.

That's some great history. When I see pictures of the Coliseum years, the first thing I think is how hot it looks, with no overhangs. Then that short left field, with the tall netting, not unlike Fenway. Were you at Dodger Stadium when it first opened?

A lot of great names come and gone, but Vin Scully is still there, bless him.

That's some great history. When I see pictures of the Coliseum years, the first thing I think is how hot it looks, with no overhangs. Then that short left field, with the tall netting, not unlike Fenway. Were you at Dodger Stadium when it first opened?

A lot of great names come and gone, but Vin Scully is still there, bless him.

Not right away, but not too long after. I didnt live in CA after about age 5, but I went back for summer visits.

To tell the truth, I havent been following things that closely lately and wasnt sure ole Vinny was till around. But, then, the current head football coach at the college I attended was an assistant coach there before I was born. If Vinnie and Joe are still around, I can't be too old...yet.

BTW, I saw the Los Angeles Angels play during their first year at Wrigley Field...yes, there once was a Wrigley Field in Los Angeles.

I do remember that short left field. Just as impressive to me was the vast expanse beyond the right field fence.

There was 1959 when my two teams (Dodgers and Indians) almost made it to the sreies. (Yes, Simon, I am still loyal to the Tribe). The Indians got beat out by the White Sox, who in turn were taken by the Dodgers.

several years ago, espn ran a 'home run derby' series from the 50's that was filmed in LA's Wrigley Field.It was shot in the late 50's , and featured players like Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Al Kaline and more.

The stadium was empty, but it looked like a nice place for a game. The trees and houses were just outside the outfield walls, in a neighborhood that I'm afraid was nicer than it is today.

Just got back from Dodger Stadium, last home game of the year (unless they make the play offs).

1-1 tie, bottom of the 9th, Nomar crushes a grand slam with 2 out into the center field bleachers, and a good time was had by all.

So when is opening day ? I'm going through serious withdrawal already.

No not really lets say Ive been on hiatus---or maybe the emotionally disabled list for a few months.

I had hopes that looked good through a good part of the year (you know Im a hometown guy) that folded faster than Saigon, It was hard to watch so I had to go on a break for awhile.

I miss it --I do--but i particularly miss watching games that mean something. I love the game for itself but for 3 and 1/2 years nearly every game meant something around here-- the last two months are like watching someone you love curl up, deteriorate, and slowly fade away and there is nothing that you can do--so I havent been watching -or paying close attention--its just been too sad to watch..

But Im perking up for playoff time -I'll be watching.

Are the Dodgers gonna pull out the NL West? 2 down with 6 to go has been done many times before

Well,lifted,your Indians got even with Ozzie this year,...giving him the choke sign when they were eliminating the Chisox from the playoffs...Payback's a bitch,and those Indian fans don't soon forget...The palehose basically stunk up every ballpark they played in since the all-star break...It was frustrating,like they were a cat,toying with a mouse...you kept wondering when they were going to snap out of it and finally devour the mouse---only they let the mouse get away...I don't know which is worse,rooting for a team that's out of the playoffs by late April(the Cubs),or cheering on a team that seduces and teases you most of the year,then when September rolls around they flop like a Broadway turkey...

I'm like mstar...I'll take a little time away from baseball,...walk the neighbor's dog,..chase butterflies in the park,...take a bubble bath or maybe paint my toenails...Whatever it takes to flush the disappointment out of another season fallen short..Then when the playoffs start I'll pick my favorites,and if nothing else,enjoy the more intense level of baseball that the post-season brings...

There is something I find wasteful about big league baseball that, as an oldie (heh heh) I know didnt use to be the case. Every time a ball so much as grazes the dirt, it seems it is out of there. I know there are tons of money being exchanged in the game, but is the performance of the game affected that much by the blemish caused by one little scrape with the dirt? I mean, a pitch barely touches the dirt, and if there is no one on, the catcher doesnt even bother looking back...he just sticks his arm back to exchange the ball. If there is someone on, of course, he has to check to be sure time is out.

In a kids game we can usually survive on two or three baseballs. Once in a while, I decide one is getting so bad is has to be tossed. BUt every time it grazes the dirt? If I did that, our association's budget would go down the tubes...we dont pay our kids...or umpires...like that. Naturally I keep one eye on fould hit out of play to be sure someone is chasing...and bringing them back.

Edited by Lifted Up

I agree that they throw out baseballs at an alarming rate. I've read about, but can't remember exactly when or where, a major league game where ONE ball was used. It was certainly early in the last century, and before a time when fans kept foul balls.

I can't count the number of games I've been to, sitting in prime 'foul ball' territory, and have not come close to catching one. You would think those balls were made of gold the way fans go after them, risking life, limb and Dodger Dogs in the scramble.

Speaking of the Dodgers, I think they're going to the playoffs, and may surprise there. Nomar getting hurt again does not help though.

The new ball thing started (from what Ive heard) after Ray Chapman of the Indians got killed when he was hit in the head in the late innings of a game against the Yankees in August 1920 .

Up until then , one ball was generally used, it got dirty, scuffed up, misshapen and difficult to see by the late innings, but after that tragedy any ball that showed any wear at all was immediately replaced with a bright shiny new one.

Ray Chapman

Edited by mstar1

I will nominally root for the Dodgers...and for the Twins whose territory I am in. My favorite team, the Indians, has been long gone. Simon was giving me a hard time about them last summer, so I have stayed quiet to avoid giving him ammunition!!

Twins win tonight in the 10th. :)

Tied for first somewhere there in this baseball hiearchy!!

:spy:

Okay, long shot here...

What happens if the Reds, Astros, and Cardinals all finish with 82 (or 81) wins?

I remember a few years ago when the Astros, Reds, and Mets all finished with 95 wins. Somehow, the Astros were declared the NL Central winner, and the Reds and Mets played a game to determine the wild card spot.

Does it go by head-to-head victories? In that case, the Reds would win, having pounded the Cards and Stros during the regular season.

George