GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

playoff scenarios give me a whopper of a headache

looks like the Dodgers are going to be in, they've at least tied for a tie breaker

I got an email at work that said I was on the lottery list for play off tickets right behind home plate-

I probably have as much chance as in winning the real lottery

I wonder if I can believe for them ?

My Penn State Nittany Lion football team...JoPa and all...are caught in the middle of this last day. If the Tigers lose to Kansas City and the Twins beat the White Sox, the Nittany Lions play the Gophers in the Metrodome next Saturday, because the Twins will open the playoffs at home this week and leave the dome free on Saturday. Otherwise, the Twins are the wild card and play at home on the weekend, moving the football game to Nov. 25th.

George,I guess you'll never get an answer to your three-way tie question until it eventually actually happens...It appears that tie-breakers are only used in baseball to determine playoff seeding ,but not to totally eliminate a team from the playoffs,like in football...For instance,the Dodgers and Padres finished with identical records,and both were going to make the postseason as either the division winner or the wild card winner...Since the Padres beat the Dodgers 13 games to five in head-to-head competition,the Padres became the division winner and the Dodgers became the wild card winner...Now,if the Phillies had ended up with the best wild card record,the Padres and the Dodgers would have had a one game playoff to determine the division winner,with the loser of that game going home and the winner being the division winner...Kapish?...

Lifted up: Yeah, I remember Don Demeter. He played for the Tigers whom I rooted for growing up in Michigan. I think we got him from Philly in the Jim Bunning trade. He could hit pretty good if I recall.

Now that the playoffs are decided, I'm glad my Cardinals DON'T have to play the Dodgers....yet. The only game I attended this year was in July. We pounded Brad Penny and co. 11-3. Pujols went 4 for 5, and both Chris Duncan and Yadier Molina went 3 for 4. Plus we swept the season series 7-zip. If we play the Dodgers in the playoffs any time soon, even next year or beyond, they're going to be especially motivated to beat us. I would prefer to avoid that.

Despite the Cardinals making the playoffs by default, I'm optomistic. Back in the 90s I still lived in MI and rooted for the Red Wings. Three years in a row they were the number one seed (94-96). All 3 years they fell on their face. Then the 2 years in a row when they won the Stanley Cup (97/98) they were the #3 seed. Same for '02.

The Cardinals won 100 plus games each in '04/'05 and did not win the WS. This year, NOBODY expects them to go past the 1st round of the playoffs. They don't even have home field advantage. Hmmm.

Im still wondering if Hiway won the lottery and we'll be able to see him on TV :)

Don Demeter? what brought him up -He was briefly a Red Sox in 66 when he was traded from the Tigers for Earl Wilson, I have a snapshot of him in the on deck circle that I took shortly before he pinch hit struck out to end a game...

I'll be having my eyes mostly on the Dodgers-Mets. Lotta pitching for a short series, even with Martinez gone.

I think I'd like to see the Dodgers-Yankees in a replay of the 50's, but between now and the WS anything can and probably will happen

I should find out today if I won the ticket lottery-I'm not holding my breath

I'd like to see a Dodgers-Yankees series, even though it would create no end of angst for me. My childhood love for the Yankees still exists , but the reality is I'm way more connected to the Dodgers now, living in their backyard and spending countless evenings at the Stadium

worst case for interest seems to be A's-Padres

I can live with either the Tigers or Twins getting in-I love the AL central

........and they're off.......

Nothing quite like playoff baseball :)

it was amazing to see Jeter go 5 for 5 last night---I think the Yanks-unless their pitching totally caves in are going to be tough to beat. The lineup is just too tough--when was the last time anyone saw a lineup where the number 9 hitter, hit over .340?

I have the Dodgers-Mets on now --Weird for me to see Nomar in a Dodger uni---and not tapping his toes anymore---Lowe looks like--well Lowe--he is already taking to himself on the mound in the first inning.... The kid (Maine) pitching for the mets looks about 19-It'll be tough for them losing El Duque and Pedro....

2 on no outs top of the second

EDIT:

WTF? The dodgers just got them both thrown out on the plate on the same play...Never seen that one before.

Dodgers are ahead bit dont look like much on the bases

Edited by mstar1

Derek Jeter- one of the reasons I still love the game

Carlos DelGado almost matched him hit for hit today though

Dodgers stunk up the joint-they either look like the 27' Yankees, or the '62 Mets-you never know

hoping for a miracle that the A's fade-I just like the Twins

Cards should hand the Padre's their hats

go Yanks

It just occured to me---I hate all eight teams that are in the playoffs...Dodgers,Twins,Mets,Yankees--you name 'em,I hate 'em...Oh,well,I'm probably still reeling from another disappointing season...

Two guys thrown out at home on the same play????...I have to believe there's a third base coach who's going to be unemployed in a couple of weeks...I see how the play developed...Right fielder got a perfect bounce and was able to make a good play at home----Can't blame the third base coach for the first guy getting tossed out,but letting the second runner get past you is inexcusable....

Seems like every time I see Torii Hunter in the postseason,he's doing something aggressively bone-headed....I know that's his game,but geez, two years ago it was getting thrown out at third trying to stretch a double with no outs and the Twins down by five runs...Today,instead of holding the guy to a two out single with a runner on first,he comes charging in and the ball goes by him for an inside-the-park homer....He's a great player,but I'd hate to be his manager....

Two guys thrown out at home on the same play????...I have to believe there's a third base coach who's going to be unemployed in a couple of weeks...I see how the play developed...Right fielder got a perfect bounce and was able to make a good play at home----Can't blame the third base coach for the first guy getting tossed out,but letting the second runner get past you is inexcusable....

Well even the first guy was out by a few yards.

Granted Green made a great throw--but hells bells you could see he got a perfect bounce off the wall before the first runner was even near third and there were no outs at the time, nice way to kill a potentially big inning

Does Shawn Green (the outfielder) get two assists on the one throw?

Let it go Simon -love em or hate em-its still playoff baseball---

Yeah,you're right,mstar,...time to let it go...Turns out that was Jeff Kent,the first guy tagged out,who got a late start from second and is about as slow as a tree anyway,and J. D. Drew,practically running right on top of him....3B coach said he was afraid two runners were going to be caught on the same bag,leaving somebody out there in no man's land...That was one of those plays where everything has to go just right(or in the Dodgers case,just wrong)....The guy on first could see the ball wasn't going to be caught from his angle,so he was flying,but from Jeff Kent's angle,and with no base coach at second,he held up to make sure the ball wouldn't be caught...Plus,the Mets said they've been working on that play since spring training....

Good news for stRanger man...Texas fired Buck Showalter today...The last two teams to fire Buck,the Yankees and the D-backs,went on to win the World Series the following year....

Maybe the Cubbies should hire him them fire him boompsquick as part of their 08 championship strategy-

What a strange legacy to leave behind...

I have a Yankee fan friend (dont have a coronary..)who wants me to head down to the stadium with him for this afternoons game, but today it just aint possible for me -----Im holding out for the ALCS

So Hiway-Who is this guy Kuo, who's pitching game two-

Down 0-1 in a short series-and he has 5 major league starts

Is he that good?

or is this the same type of Grady Little move that got him run out of Boston?

Crucial game...

I guess we'll see

Im still pulling for the BlueSox ...er Dodgers

ahh yes... the world series trophy in arlington next year!!!

Glavin looked great tonight.. I love watching guys who know HOW to pitch... Saturday we get to see Maddox for the blue boys right?

I'm glad the Tigers took one today... the Mets are looking strong although they didn't really need their best bullpen in baseball tonight...

heck... they've even go grandpa beating out the second half of a double play... hiway, what's up with the Dodger defense?

the Dodger defense, which really was about the best in the league all year. is dependent on all things being right with the world-which they sure aren't for the Dodgers right now

Nomar can hardly move, Kent has been hurt for months and can't bend over, Furcal is usually flawless, and 3rd base is the revolving door. Lofton is a few years past his prime and can't cover ground, Drew is usually solid but plays it safe, left field is the showcase for rookies. Martin is the catcher of the future, who had a great rookie year. That cover it ?

Dodgers are doing their usual fade in playoffs. When they're bad they're really bad. If Nomar can't start Saturday, look for a late inning pinch hit role, that everyone will compare to crippled Kirk Gibson's pinch homer in '88- and hoping that lightning will strike twice

I'm not assuming the Yankees are going to beat the Tigers. I live by Yogi's wisdom-in baseball, you don't know nutnin' !

Imean nothin' or nothing, it's early

I'd be more excited if I felt the Dodgers had a prayer.

I seem to remember that the blues have had a few streaks abruptly change directions this year.

I little belief wouldnt hurt, anything can happen--its playoff time

It aint over til its over.

Are y'all watching the gem that Rogers is pitching in Detroit?

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

Ive never seen him pitch with the intensity he has tonight-

He's making a believer out of me

Yes folks... the gambler was strong tonight... I've seen him pitch a few like that in my day... but never in the playoffs... when he gets it workin'... it works!

he made the evil empire look like amateurs (and got lucky a couple of times)... it's nice to see him and Pudge enjoying it... just remember that we got next (Buck's gone)...

Glavine last night, Rogers tonight... will Maddox follow up tomorrow?

I hope so... the Mets need to be brought back to earth...

Enjoy the game hiway... nothing like having the playoffs in your town...

the Dodgers have been able to turn it around, especially when they're at home, so I'm going to the game with a positive attitude-Maddux pitching doesn't hurt either

thanks for the reminder of the ultimate wisdom of Yogi-it ain't over till it's over

I admit I'm jazzed to be going to a playoff game-the ravine is gonna be rocking