GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Ivan DeJesus .. sure ... that counts

I think there at least a couple others, but I can't recall ... figured you guru's would just spout em right off.

$400 for standing room ... hmmm, unless it was on my list of things I have to do before I die, I think I'd just watch it on the tube. Watchin' some final four basketball from the nose bleed section in the super dome tells me bein' there ain't always that great. Basketball with binoc's lol

But now arena football up close and personal, that was mildly entertaining for a moment.

Seems like AlKaline could have kept on going, and going, and going, if he had EVERREADY for a "battery" mate. (I know, he wasn't a pitcher or catcher) :biglaugh::wave:

Very funny :biglaugh: ....As a kid,I didn't know if he was named after the battery or vice-versa...

I also remember when visiting relatives in Detroit,going to a Sunday afternoon game,and my uncle paying $3.50 each for box seats at the window and sitting like seven rows behind the Tigers' dugout...And that was the year right after they won a world championship...

Kaline could have played longer but he had a different attitude than most players today. He wanted to get his 3000th hit before he retired so he wouldn't take any more money from the club. He was making $100,000.00 per year his last few years with the club. That's too much. He got his hit at Baltimore, his home town and ended up with 3008 career hits.

Nice game by Carpenter wasn't it? ...well, a little better than nice! but the boy can bring it can't he?

Placido Polanco, Ivan Rodriguez and Curtis Granderson are a combined 0-for-34 against St. Louis.

who's pitching tonight? Bonderman and Suppan? ...I don't know who I like there... Weaver returned to form, will Suppan? ...I don't know how any of them pitch, hit or catch in the weather they're playing in... in the mind of my youth I never remember it being so cold during the series... and they say there's global warming! bah!

I remember the Orioles/Pirates series of '79 was pretty cold, yet even the NY games in 2001 were not particularly cold and if I recall that series ended in November. It's been rainy and cold all day here. First team to score 2 runs in an inning wins.

Edited by johniam

Yes, the 2001 WS ended in November (season delayed because of 9/11). And yes, even then it wasn't that cold in NY.

During the game last night they said today's weather forecast was for rain all day.

Do you think they might postpone till tomorrow?

Well its good to be back home -last night I watched the game with a coupla girlie girls who kept referring to players as 'that crouchy down guy" or "the latin guy with the neat beard" and the American leaguers as a bunch of puzzies.... :biglaugh:

Its a whole different perspective from the fairer gender

It was 20 years ago tonight that Mookie Wilson hit an innocent ground ball to first for the final out of the World Series and gave the championship to the Red Sox for the first time in 68 years.... wait,,,,wait ...wait...Ive blocked it out...its coming back...it rolled slowly to first and....and .. the ball got by Buckner........... %$%#@^%!

I had just finished running PFAL session 11 and thrown everyone out to watch the last few innings.....

Since you were on trivia in my absence---and For a beer whenever I see you

Who made the last out of the '68 series between the Cards and Tigers?

Edited by mstar1

C'mon mstar,don't give us the answer....According to the box score,Tim McCarver was the last Card with four at bats---0-3 and one base-on-balls....

Btw,everybody forgets that the game was already tied when Buckner missed that grounder---it would have gone to extra innings if he made the play...Wait--I think it already was in extra innings--the 11th,I believe...

They've claimed they'll get the game in tonight... but I can't see how.

The game would suck even if it was played. Wait until tomorrow, it's supposed to be clear until late Thursday night (then another storm)... so, game 5(?) might have to go Friday, and then maybe they ditch the day off for travel... it ain't that far from St. Lou to Dee-troit anywho...

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/busi...ourbyhour/STL:9

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/busi...ourbyhour/STL:9

The weather link is still good and shows 30% chance of showers through midnight St. Louis time... then it increases to 60%.

Weather.com expects game time temps to be in the 50s, which is warmer than it was there yesterday... SO, looks like they should be able to play... :)

OK, I'm drinkin' Busch beer, which I figured would help the Cardinals, but it hasn't so far. Suppan looks a little weak. Pujols looked terrible that first at bat. Missed the first two by a foot, then watched strike three.

Rolen just missed that one HR.

Woo hooo ... Eckstein double

He just missed HR first at bat, then singled after being down 0-2

There is hope I guess ...

More Busch ...

Edited by rhino

wet field ... but that wild throw to first made a difference

that one off the glove in left field may sum it all up for the tigers

first world series win since '82 was it?

wooo hoooo I may only see cards win once more in my lifetime :blink:

that sure puts the pressure on lol

Eckstein ... what a great game for him

Edited by rhino