Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Swang

imp. of Swing.

Swang

n.

[Cf. Swamp.]

A swamp. [Prov. Eng.]

Swang or Saang or Svanga is a popular folk dance drama form in Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Malwa region of Madhya Pradesh. Its roots can be traced back to the origins of the Indian theatre tradition. Since women did not participate in the dance-drama form, men enacted their roles. ... wikipedia

I'm not sure what an imp is, maybe only imps use "swang"

9 straight retired by Rogers ... :yawn1:

darn .... 3-0

didn't that one tigger just dip his elbow right into the pitch? That houston guy did that too... they should call it a strike ...

eck 5-7 miles it says 5-8

at least the cards are hangin around ... old kenny should be getting tired ...

voodu lol I guess it is a correct tense of swing, as well swing swang swung kaching kachang kachung ...

top of the order, good time for a coupler runs

(dam, I even called home run for that 2-0 pujols pitch ... close)

Edited by rhino

WTF

This isnt looking good that Leyland took out Rogers

Why? he was only at 99pitches

Edit; Got him

that made it too tight

i read this earlier today--

Todd Jones: "I only pitch one inning, So by the time they realize I don't have anything, the inning's over."

Edited by mstar1

Meanwhile Cardinal fans are calling for Rogers head:

of course none of them are mentioning the 7 innings one hit ball he threw after washing it off

Yeah, but ... it gets in your head when you think they got away with something like that ... plus if the ball is moving funny like the players complained, they don't get a first look at his real stuff,

They shoulda pinch hit for Molina maybe ... at least there was some hope at the end ...

Rogers said in interviwew the umpire didn't say anything to him ... then another interview a guy said the ump did ask him to remove it ... and he has a history of getting "dirt" in that same spot. And as an ESPN guy said, of course he knew something like that was all over his hand, good grief. They shoulda checked what it was instead of just asking him to remove it.

Off with his head :biglaugh:

c'mon... he pitched an excellent game... I don't like the guy much because he's kind of burned his bridges here (2 or 3 times)... but wouldn't that be pretty stoopid to try to cheat during the world serious? ...I don't like him, but he's not that stoopid...

LaRussa said he pitched a great game and left it at that... I'm sure he didn't want to admit that Rogers got inside their heads a little...

...and I've been wondering the same thing about Tony L the whole playoffs mstar... why is he wearing those shades at night?

of course he piched well without it, I'm just saying it is not insignificant, and it doesn't seem accidental

Even the ESPN guys were talking about how simple it would have been to just check the substance ... why ask him to remove it and not check it? And he seemed to lie about it ... sayin he didn't notice it ... sure. It could be they figured it was pine tar, but didn't want to mar the series by having him thrown out. Who knows. It seems it wasn't obvious unless you had high definition and a close up of his face and hand.

Anyway, just something to talk about.

And I was just kiddin!!! :biglaugh:

:dance::dance: :dance:

Of course he pitched a great game. Shoot, what 27 post season innings with ZERO earned runs! I certainly didn't like his cameraman thing last year, but gotta hand it to him, he's doing it quite well this year.

it will be talked about, and talked about, and talked about

you could dip the ball in pine tar, and carve your initials in it, and still wouldn't get those results. gotta give the man his due.

up until a certain time that I can't remember, they tried to use one ball in the game. I can only imagine what deformities those balls featured. didn't stop Ty Cobb, Josh Gibson, or the Babe.

quote: up until a certain time that I can't remember, they tried to use one ball in the game. I can only imagine what deformities those balls featured. didn't stop Ty Cobb, Josh Gibson, or the Babe.

In Ty Cobb's autobiography, he used several pages to cover this; not only did MLB try to make one ball last 4 games on average (compared to 60 per game today), but pitchers were allowed to put anything they wanted to on the surface of the baseball. They just couldn't puncture the surface. So players would put files in their gloves so they could puncture the surface between innings while the infielders were taking turns throwing the ball to first base. Ty wasn't too shook about it.

Interesting that ESPN contacted Gaylord Perry for his take on the situation.

I have a trivia question. Ty Cobb was one of 2 major league players who hit home runs both as a teenager and as a forty something. The other is now retired, but he played during our lifetimes. Who is he?

On MSN.com guess what the top search is of the day? ...that's right "Kenny Rogers"... must be a lot of First Edition fans out there :)

On the radio today they were talking about the way LaRussa handled it.. i.e. why didn't he have them check him then? the answer they came up with was because he didn't want Leyland to do have his pitchers checked... evidently this stuff is a lot more rampant than I thought...

johnuare, are you going to any games?

Hmmmm...For some reason Rusty Staub comes to mind...It isn't him,is it?...

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pl...php?p=staubru01

and from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Staub

"He and Ty Cobb share the distinction of being the only players to hit home runs before turning 20 years old, and after turning 40 years old."

The baseball almanac site has his year by year stats..

And SIMONZELOTES wins the prize!! :eusa_clap:

Does Ivan DeJesus count?

I distinctly remember a photograph in my hometown newspaper with the caption under it that said "These kids can hit"...Three teenage major-leaguers were in the photo and one of them was Rusty Staub....I knew he seemingly played forever,so it seemed like a good guess....Wish it was the final 'Jeopardy' question...

I suspected some of you might know that. That was a question posed during a nationally televised game years ago. I couldn't figure it out and it was challenging trying to assemble possible candidates. Al Kaline played as a teenager, but retired just shy of his 40th birthday. Not many teens get a prominent start in the majors any more. The last one I can remember is Dwight Gooden.

I recall LCM making a big deal out of Rusty Staub being gay. He knocked in 120 plus RBIs in 1978 for the Tigers and Sparky still had him traded before the start of the next season. Makes you wonder.

No, I'm not going to any of the games, unless somebody dumps a hell of a surprise on me. I hear that standing room only tickets cost over $400.00 for the WS. To think that field box seats at Tiger stadium cost $4.00 in the 60s. This series feels weird. The Cardinals might not win, but they just don't seem as vulnerable as they did in '04. Hey, turn the page.

I suspected some of you might know that. That was a question posed during a nationally televised game years ago. I couldn't figure it out and it was challenging trying to assemble possible candidates. Al Kaline played as a teenager, but retired just shy of his 40th birthday. Not many teens get a prominent start in the majors any more. The last one I can remember is Dwight Gooden.

In 2001, I paid $60 for a seat on the outfield concourse at the BOB for game 1... and that was direct from the box office. I bet it'd be upwards of $100 if it were here this year.

Anyway, as to current homerun hitters who got a start in their teens, Andrew Jones comes to mind. We'll see how long he plays... He hit HRs in the WS as a teenager, if I recall correctly.

Seems like AlKaline could have kept on going, and going, and going, if he had EVERREADY for a "battery" mate. (I know, he wasn't a pitcher or catcher) :biglaugh::wave: