GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Going through withdrawals already,eh,mstar?...Good thing Halloween is right after the series...Pacing the floor,eating candy,looking out the window,chain-smoking,endless cups of coffee,staring at the ceiling for two hours before you fall asleep....Too bad there's no meetings to go to...

Thanks for all the links...I tend to give up baseball cold-turkey when the series is over...Go for walks...watch sunsets...catch some football on Sundays...BTW,it must have been big news up there when Red Auerbach died....He was quite the legend...

I do like to catch up on some of my Baseball Encyclopedia reading...There's usually some major moves in the off-season,but it's so difficult to predict how different players will fit in with different teams...Or managers for that matter...As a Cub fan,you learn to abide by Murphy's Law...Whatever can go wrong,will...I am a little eager to see what Piniella is going to bring to the table in Cubs camp...I look back at Dusty Baker's tenure as Cubs manager and it's one big puzzle...His first year in town he put venom in their bite...They stared down opponents,threw at Barry Bonds,kept him in check and went toe-toe with anybody...Then they lost it---a little more each year...As if some kind of curse did actually get to Baker and his team...I don't believe in curses,but we have all winter to wonder what are the pieces we're missing,how do you turn this thing around and keep it going in the right direction?...

Of course,all winter money is a big factor in all of the baseball equations...Who has money to spend,who are the free agents,what are they worth?...Look at Jeff Weaver...Would you want him?...Couldn't even compete as a starter for the Angels,then he's suddenly lights out in the playoffs...What's he worth?...What good is a great post-season pitcher if he can't help get you there...I mean,he might be the big reason the A's won the AL West instead of the Angels..The Angels lost way too many games that he started early in the year...

Anyway,I have to say,this is my favorite(and only) baseball site...

Jeff Weaver looks like a Venice beach surf bum. I notice that Kerry Wood is now a free agent. Wonder what Dave Duncan could do for him.

They're saying that book "3 nights in August" might be made into a movie. If they do they should have Father Guido Sarducci play Tony LaRussa and Anthony Hopkins play Dave Duncan and Chris Rock play Kerry Robinson (2003 Cardinal bench player reputed to be secure in TLRs dog house).

Interesting to me that one commentator during the WS repeatedly referred to Chris Carpenter as a "former" Cy Young winner. Until the voting is revealed he's the "reigning" Cy Young winner, isn't he? Sounds to me like some media people must have access to the voting results ahead of time. It really doesn't bother me that CC won't win it again; he lost 2 critical games in a row down the stretch. Brandon Webb will probably get it...or maybe even John Smoltz or Tom Glavine. Some of these media people should at least ACT like they're genuine baseball fans rather than burned out since July working stiffs. Geez, even Jim Rome had positive things to say about the Cards WS play.

:offtopic:

BTW,it must have been big news up there when Red Auerbach died....He was quite the legend...

Certainly was .and is...

Red was in a league of his own, and with the greatest respect for Casey Stengal, Amos Alonzo Stagg, Bear Bryant, and Connie Mack-Red was in my book the greatest coach and then GM in any sport at anytime.

There was only one Red Auerbach, he was a great coach and a great man who was way ahead of his time....

redtest2.jpg

auerbach_red.jpg

If there were a basketball thread maybe Id tell some Auerbach stories-which are numerous and legendary,

but for now I'll just say

Thanks Red

First baseman Mark Teixeira has won his second straight American League Gold Glove, but Gary Matthews Jr. did not receive the honor, as Ichiro Suzuki, Torii Hunter, and Vernon Wells were recognized as the league's top three outfield defenders.

Congratulations to Tex! ... and we're always after Hunter and Wells (Hunter likes the area, Wells is from here)... imagine them patrolling the outfield with GMJ...

Congratulations to your guys-

Im not totally enamored of the Gold Glove system--

Derek Jeter won his third straight Gold Glove at shortstop, beating out Alex Gonzalez of the Red Sox, who was merely the best fielding shortstop in the Sox 105 year history, and who belongs in the same company as Ozzie Smith and Omar Vizquel among all-time great glove guys at short.

Jeter won even though he made more than twice as many errors as Gonzalez (15 to 7) and had a lower fielding percentage (.975 to .985).

I saw Gonzalez this year and what he did, and imo he has earned the right to be honored.

Jeter is a great player, there is no question, but for all his fame and press clippings he may not even be the best fielding shortstop in New York (hello, Jose Reyes).

This is only slightly less nuts than when Palmiero won one for DH'ing almost all year, even the devout at the nyyfans board thinks it is ridiculous

Not to take anything away from any of your guys, but I'd like to see them change the voting procedures to reflect some sort of defensive analysis . It could give some of the lesser names their due.

Edited by mstar1

I'm not that impressed with gold gloves either. They're nice to put on the mantle I guess.

As far as Jeter being the best or whatever. Everyone, including Jeter, knows that there are players with more range, better arms, and hit better. In my opinion what makes Jeter stand out is his total presence and awareness of any situation in any game. You could make highlight rules of Jeter making plays that shouldn't be made, and has earned his 'fame and press clippings', which sounds like an implied insult to me, though I'm sure it wasn't intended to be.

Hey, I gotta get passionate about something in the off season. I'm waiting to see what team is suckered into giving Jeff Weaver a huge contract.

I see the Dodgers aren't picking up the option on Eric Gagne's contract.

It makes sense as he'll never be the pitcher he was, and it's unknown if he can pitch at all, but it's still sad.

For a couple of years, Gagne was the ONLY reason to hang in there at Dodger games. Everytime he came in the game, the scoreboards would flash images of him with 'GAME OVER" underneath, while "Welcome to the Jungle" drowned out the crowd.

Now he's yesterday's news. Game over. Thanks for stopping by.

It's a business, everywhere.

Oh-I'm kinda regretting my 'knee jerk' reaction concerning Jeter-he's just one player I actually care about.

Gotta share my lunchtime experience from today....A couple friends and I went to the Tepee,a local family owned Mexican bar and grill...On page three of this thread is a photograph of George W.Boosh,then D-backs owner Jerry Colangelo and the back of Arte Moreno,owner of the LA Angels...I had spoken earlier how Arte and I coached and umped our kids together through little league,back before I knew just how influencial he was...

Anyway,Arte and his fam arrived at the same time we did,we shook hands and he gave me a hug(you know,one of those guys sports hugs) and we chatted awhile....about our kids,our houses,the Cardinals...the Angels(sorry,Rocky,he didn't mention the D-backs)....We talked about Jeff Weaver,Vlad,...a few others...It seemed almost strange to me that we were talking baseball like we would on this thread,...only this guy actually DOES make the decisions and writes the checks...It was a pleasant lunchtime surprise,my friends were impressed,and he seemed to know practically everyone in the place..I'll probably always be a fan of Arte,the most personable guy you could ever meet....Now,if he were to run for President,like another old baseball team owner.....

Simon, I find it completely reasonable that Arte would be talking about the Angels, Jeff Weaver and the Cardinals (since the Cards won the WS)... and not at all surprising that he didn't have anything to say about the Dbacks.... I'm sure he's a great guy... but if his politics are like that other baseball team owner who ran for (became) prez, I say I hope Arte sticks to baseball... it apparently has been berry, berry goood to him! :)

Had to sneak over here to wish my dear baseball nut friend a happy f.......ffff......fffff - - (oh I can't say it! ) birthday, where it wouldn't draw so much attention.

Wish I had something witty to say to make you smile, but I'm sure you are surrounded by loved ones who are reminding you you are now starting your 2nd half of your first century - - so I'll just leave it at that.

(((((Simon)))))

Happy day, my friend!

J.

Edited by jardinero

"It seemed all but certain coming into this series that we were going to be a part of something truly special, that we would easily put the finishing touches on a magical season that inspired millions of fans around the country, but instead we somehow ended up winning."

"It's disappointing, to say the least," La Russa added. "We were rooting for the Detroit Tigers just like everyone else."

The Onion is pretty funny on this ... :biglaugh:

Pujols said. "Even though the outcome of this series has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth, I can handle it, because I was there in 2004 when we were able to see Red Sox beat us in the World Series. Man, what an incredible feeling that was… Just watching those guys celebrate, I really felt like I was seeing history unfold before my eyes. It was definitely my greatest baseball moment."

Cool story Simon ... does he get you free tickets?

Edited by rhino

Jardi,thank you my dear...It's always a pleasure when you come here and visit...And go ahead and say it---fifty....Who knows,maybe one day soon my number of years on this earth will exceed the Cubs victory total for a that particular year...Thank you too,Bill...Haven't gotten any free tix yet,but I do know he's pursuing a Cubs player that I'd just as soon they'd get rid of...Don't know Ron Washington...Was he a player in the '80's?....Or am I thinking of Claudell Washington?...

Hey anybody know this guy that just got hired to replace Showalter in Tejas? Ron Washington?

Here's what Newberg had to say (sorry it's so long):

THE NEWBERG REPORT

I still remember my immediate reaction in 1995 when I heard that the Cowboys had signed Deion Sanders. It wasn't that Prime Time's arrival would result in a shutdown of the opponent's go-to receiver or would give Dallas a weapon on punt returns. Though those things would sink in a minute later, the first thing that came to mind was less about what the Cowboys were adding than what we were taking away from the nemesis Forty-Niners.

That's a big part of what I was feeling before yesterday's press conference introducing Ron Washington as the Rangers' new manager. What I knew about Washington's reputation made me think that maybe the thing that distinguished his candidacy to replace Buck Showalter from Don Wakamatsu's or Trey Hillman's was that hiring Washington would effectively weaken a division rival.

I still like that aspect of the Washington hire a lot. But it's no longer the key factor for me.

I'd heard from a number of people that my appreciation of Ron Washington would grow exponentially once I had the chance to be around him.

They were right.

Tom Hicks said before an unusually large crowd of reporters yesterday afternoon that on Sunday, a few hours into Washington's second interview with the Rangers (and the first in which Hicks was involved), he pulled Jon Daniels aside and asked, "What am I missing? Why isn't this our guy?" It was then that Daniels told Hicks for the first time that Washington was his number one recommendation. Hicks and Daniels spontaneously scrapped plans to meet the next day to make a decision, and instead walked back up to Washington right then and made him an offer.

What was supposed to be a 5:00 meeting on Monday between Hicks, Daniels, and Thad Levine instead turned out to be a much larger meeting, with reporters from every local outlet, representatives from every department of the Rangers organization, plus Mark Teixeira and Kevin Millwood and Rudy Jaramillo in attendance.

And as advertised, Washington blew everyone's socks off.

Daniels said that his checklist when the process of finding the club's next manager began a month ago started with five traits: winner, teacher, optimist, communicator, and hard worker. He went into the search very familiar with Wakamatsu and Hillman. He knew Washington only by reputation, but after his first interview on October 17, Daniels realized he had a candidate who embodied all five qualities.

When Daniels dispatched new Rangers senior director of baseball operations Don Welke to meet with Washington in New Orleans on October 26, Welke asked the question that had been on my mind: Would you prefer managing in Oakland or in Texas? "Offer me a job and you'll see," Washington replied.

Eleven days later, the Rangers did, and Washington accepted. It's reportedly a two-year contract (which Daniels pointed out is how much longer his own deal lasts), with two additional option years.

In many ways, Washington couldn't be more different from Showalter. One is a high-profile baseball manager who got his first team at age 35, the other a baseball grinder who gets his first head gig at age 54. One addressed the media with as much polish and finesse as you'll ever see; the other is as refreshingly blunt and unvarnished as you could ever imagine. One batted and threw left, the other batted and threw right.

One had a number of catchphrases that made their way into most interviews, among the most common of which was a player's "sincerity." The other is simply as sincere as it gets. Washington's reputation is that he will say whatever is on his mind, good or bad, with no artifice and no veneer. Was he supposed to say at yesterday's press conference that he'd like to bring Art Howe in to be his bench coach, especially when Wakamatsu's future with Texas remains unresolved? If you were there, you would agree that Howe's name probably wasn't supposed to be mentioned. But it was, and that's just Ron Washington being Ron Washington.

Daniels called Washington authentic, a class act, one of the most contagious personalities he'd ever been around. I saw Washington interact with people for two hours yesterday, and came to the same inescapable conclusion. His character and enthusiasm are infectious.

Washington was almost apologetic in classifying himself as a "player's manager," a cliché label that nonetheless can't be avoided when describing his coaching style. "We've all got to have each other's backs, through thick and thin," Washington said, and it was impossible not to believe he meant it, and lives it.

I came away from the gathering believing we will win with this man in charge. On the one hand, what do I know? But on the other, isn't that sort of the point?

I wrote this on October 5:

"It just looked like the players weren’t enjoying playing for Showalter.

There was a palpable disconnect.

"So what? Shouldn’t millionaire ballplayers be expected to suck it up? Of course.

"But at the same time, if the idea is to give the players the best possible environment to win, it seems that having a manager that they want to play for (whether they 'like' him or not is not really the question) should be important. Right?

"I have no doubt that every man wearing a Rangers uniform gave it everything he had every night, but I believe in the 'extra gear' that some coaches and managers and bosses can get out of their people. I began questioning this season whether Showalter was bringing that out in the team."

Whether I believe Texas will win under Washington doesn't matter. Whether the players believe they will is vitally important. It's been an unmistakable hallmark of the A's teams of the last 11 years, during which there have been ace pitchers and closers and run producers and managers who have come and gone, but two constants: (1) a relentless, confident looseness among the players, and (2) Ron Washington. The two aren't unrelated. A baseball team on which Washington has a say is a family, says the Rangers'

new skipper, from the top to the bottom. A group of men who not only have a common goal, but who work toward it as one.

Washington said his approach is simple: come in with a good attitude and a commitment, take care of the fundamentals, be prepared, and let the talent do the rest. He believes in players, and he instills in players a belief in themselves. "I'm good at communicating with players because I was one,"

Washington said. "I'll always be a player at heart."

As refreshingly authentic and unpretentious as Washington is, don't mistake it for a lack of self-confidence. He noted that the last thing he said during his first interview with Texas -- which he said got off to a great start because of the class Daniels showed by personally picking him up from the airport -- was this: "You've really impressed me. And I damn sure know I've impressed you."

Daniels said that he made countless calls around the league during the interview process to try and find someone who would give him pause about hiring Washington, someone who might point out a negative, even a small one, that Daniels ought to factor into the decision process. He never found that person, never heard a negative.

Does Washington's arrival mean Texas now has a shot at Barry Zito? "Don't know," Washington said, adding with more honesty than you'd expect, "I haven't really thought about that." How about you, Mr. Daniels? "Free agents and trades aren't something we've discussed yet. Until a couple hours ago, Ron was still in the green and gold."

More Washington honesty, when asked how he plans to handle the Rangers'

pitching staff: "I don't know much about handling pitchers, but I know I sure could hit them." He admitted that he will lean heavily on Mark Connor, who is staying aboard as pitching coach (and on Jaramillo, who remains as hitting coach).

And he wants to lean heavily on Howe, who was hired by Philadelphia just three weeks ago as a third base coach and infield instructor. Clearly, Howe's name wasn't going to be part of yesterday's press conference before Washington mentioned it, but Daniels confirmed that he's received permission from the Phillies to talk to Howe and that the former A's manager will be in town today for that purpose. Daniels intends to make a decision on Howe quickly.

It seems like an inevitability at this point. Howe, whose first coaching gig was on Bobby Valentine's Rangers staff in 1985, managed Washington in his last big league season (1989 in Houston) and managed six Oakland clubs with Washington on his staff. He seems perfect for this job: a steady, veteran big league manager with no ego, and a history and trust level with Washington.

As for the rest of the staff, there's less predictability. Connor and Jaramillo stay, and bullpen coach Dom Chiti evidently stays, but while Daniels said he'd like Wakamatsu to stay (if he doesn't get the Oakland managerial post), the fact is that if Howe is hired as bench coach then Wakamatsu would be asked not only to work for a man who beat him out for the job he wanted, but apparently to do so in a role of less stature than the one he's had here for four years.

With Washington's background as an infield instructor (for that matter, Howe's as well), third base coach Steve Smith could be one of the incumbents who's susceptible to being replaced by a Washington import. First base coach Bobby Jones's 2007 role is also hard to predict.

Will the profile of player that Daniels targets this winter shift because of Washington's arrival? Will the team add more speed than it would have otherwise? Not necessarily. Washington said he'll adapt his managing style to the type of personnel he has. But one thing is certain: Don't expect him to start taking the bat out of his players' hands . . . unless a guy is struggling, in which case he'll absolutely look to "create" offense in order to help get the player out of his rut.

The two keys to winning, in Washington's estimation, are pitching well and catching the ball, and those are two areas he's committed to improving (though he's very comfortable with the bullpen and with Millwood as the anchor of the rotation). He did note that the club "may start infusing young talent and let them grow," which sounds like a bit of a campaign for DH Jason Botts, and possibly center fielder Freddy Guzman, who Mike Hindman points out is leading the Dominican Winter League in stolen bases (and hitting .289/.360/.356).

But Botts's name and Guzman's name aren't the ones you'll see discussed the most this off-season in terms of which current Rangers stand to benefit most from Washington's arrival. That player will be Hank Blalock, and it won't be close. A number of factors are in play, not the least of which is the sense that Eric Chavez, the sweet-swinging, left-handed-hitting third baseman drafted out of a Southern California high school, is the Athletic most closely identified with Washington's ability to make young players better, not to mention Washington's most vocal proponent among the A's. An effort to get Blalock to the next level -- to unlock him, some will say -- will be a common bullet point in the papers and on the talk shows this winter.

Until now, Blalock's name has been the one pinpointed in most articles discussing what veterans the Rangers might have to trade in order to get the pitching they need, fed in part by the fact that he was on the verge of being dealt a year ago to Florida in a package for Josh Beckett. But I bet you a theme begins to develop in the papers that, even if Blalock is a player whose name pops up in trade discussions more frequently than anyone else's, the truth is that he might have more value to Texas as a Ron Washington mission than he does as a trade chip.

Should it be a concern that Washington wasn't hired by Oakland once Ken Macha was fired (as some players were lobbying for when Macha was temporarily let go a year ago)? Maybe the real story there is that Washington has too much personality -- or too much popularity with the players -- for a Billy Beane club.

Other bits and pieces:

Washington played at Manatee Junior College, just like Rangers outfield farmhand Larry Grayson, who was drafted by Oakland in 2000 before enrolling at Manatee.

Smith managed Washington in 1990, his final year as a player, with AAA Oklahoma City. That club boasted a roster that not only included Juan Gonzalez and Dean Palmer but, fascinatingly, featured Rangers managerial candidate John Russell and future big league pitching coaches Brad Arnsberg, Randy St. Claire, and Wayne Rosenthal.

Washington was a teammate of Johnny Oates with the 1977 Dodgers.

Washington and Beane both played for the 1986 Twins.

On the 1988 Cleveland squad were Washington, Julio Franco, and Brook Jacoby.

On May 28, 1988, Washington busted up the no-hit bid of Brewers righthander (and former Ranger) Odell Jones with a one-out, pinch-hit single in the ninth.

After retiring as a player following the 1990 season with the 89ers, Washington coached in the New York Mets organization for five years (managing Low A Columbia to a 64-77 record in 1993 and a 59-76 mark in 1994). He then joined Oakland's staff in 1996, serving as first base coach for one year and then infield and third base coach for the next 10. He's been credited for the dramatic defensive improvement made by several A's infielders, including six-time Gold Glove winner Chavez, who gave Washington his 2004 trophy, with the inscription: "Wash, not without you."

That trophy and most of Washington's baseball memorabilia are gone, as his home was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.

Washington will appear at Hooters in the West End tomorrow night and at Academy Sports at Forest and Central on Thursday night. You have to go.

You've got to be around this guy.

Eric Nadel's pregame manager's show, always a can't-miss, will be pure gold with Washington around.

And you know what? The three hours every night that follow the pregame show could be pretty cool, too. Washington said more than once yesterday that he's only going to be considered a success if his players get the job done.

The important point underlying that statement is that he was brought aboard because the Rangers think he's best equipped to enhance the players' chances of doing just that. He's old-school, he's genuine, he's energetic.

But maybe most importantly, he's unabashedly confident, and if his style of management helps his players take on some of that same confidence, then ultimately it may be more than just a throwaway expression to suggest that Oakland's loss will have been, most assuredly, the Rangers' gain.

quote: Hey, I gotta get passionate about something in the off season. I'm waiting to see what team is suckered into giving Jeff Weaver a huge contract.

quote: Look at Jeff Weaver...Would you want him?...Couldn't even compete as a starter for the Angels,then he's suddenly lights out in the playoffs...What's he worth?...What good is a great post-season pitcher if he can't help get you there...

I have to say something about Jeff Weaver. Each quote here might play out to be true, but I have followed his career all the way back to A ball, which he played in the town I lived in, Grand Rapids, MI, for the West Michigan Whitecaps.

Jeff was a highly touted star of the future who advanced to the majors very quickly, but he seemed to immediately alienate himself from the respect of other players. There was an incident early on where Jared Wright, then with Cleveland, hit a Tiger batter, so JW hit an Indian in retaliation and laughed openly about hitting this guy in the head. Then some years later he yelled something to Mike Sweeny of the Royals from the mound and Sweeny charged the mound and beat him up. And of course, Todd Jones said during the WS that there was no love lost between JW and the Tigers since he left the team. Doesn't sound like he has a good reputation around MLB.

So when I heard that the Cardinals had traded for him this year I wasn't expecting much. Plus it kind of turned me off that during interviews immediately after he joined the team he repeatedly referred to his manager and pitching coach as "LaRussa and Duncan" without their first names or any title. Notice that whenever Fox interviewed managers between innings during the playoffs they began the interview by stating the first and last names of the mgr. My general impression of JW was that his personality is fragile somewhere. Not much substance. But he obviously improved at some point.

I think the turning point for him was an August game at Cincinnatti. They were our closest division rivals at the time. This was a BIG game; lotta pressure. He went 8 innings and dominated. You could just see in his eyes that he was thinking, "I CAN DO THIS!!! I CAN STILL PITCH IN THE MAJORS!!! WOW!!!" I believe that moment is when he got his confidence back.

The rock band Rush has a song called 'New world man' whom they describe in the song as "wise enough to win the world, but fool enough to lose it". I think that fits JW to a tee. Some team will probably offer him more than the Cardinals will, but his success this year was predicated by regaining his self esteem. Perhaps it's too early for him to "leave the nest". He may be wise to stay here for at least another year. But he's 30 now, not 20 and he seems to have wised up some since the Sweeny incident. Let's see what he does.

The new stRangers manager, Washington, is going to make Hank Blalock a personal project... that can be nothing but good for us.

Sorry to just 'cut and paste' but here's some info on the off-season goings on:

(from the Newberg Report)

Texas picked up lefthander Ron Mahay's $1.2 million option for 2007.

The deadline for sealed bids to negotiate with Seibu Lions righthander Daisuke Matsuzaka was yesterday afternoon, and the Japanese club has until Tuesday to decide whether to accept the prevailing bid (the club is evidently not told by MLB which team submitted it). But when Ichiro Suzuki was posted by the Orix BlueWave six years ago, the BlueWave announced the day after bidding closed that it had accepted the high bid (Seattle's

$13.125 million), and MLB revealed just hours later that the Mariners had secured the negotiating rights.

So we may know which team made the prevailing bid any time.

San Diego hired Angels pitching coach Bud Black to be its new manager, yet another move that weakens an AL West bunkmate. Oakland is the final MLB club that Trey Hillman remains a candidate to manage in 2007, and the A's apparently have five candidates on their list: Hillman, Orel Hershiser (who interviewed yesterday), Oakland bench coach Bob Geren, Colorado bench coach Jamie Quirk, and Mets bench coach Manny Acta. There's been no official indication yet that the A's plan to interview Wakamatsu.

Philadelphia hired Charley Kerfeld as a special assistant to GM Pat Gillick.

Kerfeld had served in a similar role with Texas last year.

Ricardo Rodriguez, David Dellucci, Fabio Castro, and Kerfeld for Vicente Padilla, Robinson Tejeda, Jake Blalock, Daniel Haigwood, Don Welke, and Howe. Sorta.

Looks like the Phillies are conceding that they won't be able to keep Dellucci from leaving as a free agent this winter. That's a trade they surely regret making.

Castro fired five shutout innings on Monday for Cibao in the Dominican Winter League. He's allowed three unearned runs on six hits and five walks in 11 innings, fanning 12. That's a trade Texas surely regrets making.

The Rangers signed 28-year-old outfielder/infielder Matt Kata to a minor league contract with an invite to big league camp. He played for Arizona and Philadelphia in the 2003 through 2005 seasons, spending 2006 with AAA Louisville in the Reds system.

Righthander Joselo Diaz, whom Texas traded for Matt Stairs at last season's trading deadline, is reportedly close to signing with Japan's Yokohama Bay Stars.

Baltimore signed Ruddy Yan and Jon Leicester to minor league deals. The Nationals signed Colby Lewis, Mike Bacsik, Chris Michalak, and Danny Ardoin to minor league deals. Erick Burke reupped with San Diego.

Boston hired Dave Klipstein, who had been the Rangers' Central crosschecker, as an area scout.

The Dodgers named former Rangers scouting director Tim Hallgren their new director of amateur scouting.