GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Heres a quote from one of the writers who submitted a blank ( there were apparently two)

"In an attempt to uphold the Hall of Fame standards established by their predecessors, I will not vote for anyone who played in the 1993-2004 period, which I consider to be the Steroids Era," Ladewski wrote in an e-mail to The Sun last month. "That includes Tony Gwynn, Mark McGwire and Cal Ripken Jr."

And so in order to protest the steroid era of 1993-2004, he also witheld his vote from guys like Rice, Blyleven and Gossage, none of whom played in the era which he is decrying.

Brilliant.

:realmad:

Jay Buhner got 1 vote: Bobby Bonilla and Ken Flippin' Caminiti got 2 each...

These guys were Ok-- but votes for the hall good?

sounds sort of ridiculous to me...

Do you think that there should be some sort of criteria for voting??

Heres a quote from one of the writers who submitted a blank ( there were apparently two)

"In an attempt to uphold the Hall of Fame standards established by their predecessors, I will not vote for anyone who played in the 1993-2004 period, which I consider to be the Steroids Era," Ladewski wrote in an e-mail to The Sun last month. "That includes Tony Gwynn, Mark McGwire and Cal Ripken Jr."

And so in order to protest the steroid era of 1993-2004, he also witheld his vote from guys like Rice, Blyleven and Gossage, none of whom played in the era which he is decrying.

Brilliant.

:realmad:

Jay Buhner got 1 vote: Bobby Bonilla and Ken Flippin' Caminiti got 2 each...

These guys were Ok-- but votes for the hall good?

sounds sort of ridiculous to me...

Do you think that there should be some sort of criteria for voting??

Conseco got SIX VOTES! But that's still shy of the 5 percent needed to stay on the ballot... needless to say, adios Buhner, Bonilla, Caminiti AND Conseco. With Caminiti and Conseco, we KNOW they were steriods users...

you couldn't find 2 better guys to represent the Hall right now than Ripken and Gwynn. They both played for one team thei entire career. You can envision statues of Ripken in Baltimore, and Gwynn in San Diego. They were both 'grind it out' type players, who never caused 'controversy' but played at the highest professional level. Neither one was a home run hitter. The closest thing to substance abuse was the Babe Ruth program that Gwynn sometimes wrestled with, concerning his weight. Both guys are very well spoken and credits to their communities. I actually look forward to their induction speeches.

They are the perfect inductees to off set the steroid stained 90's. The writers that lump them in with the Canseco's aren't worth their word processors.

I was glad to hear one sports talking head recently say that the jury's still out on players like McGwire. His reasoning was that if many players were on steroids during the 80s and 90s (which I believe they were), then McGwire was still way above his peers and should go in the hall, but if it turns out that few players were using steroids, then he shouldn't go in. That reasoning is better than the witch hunt some media members are on.

I believe that MLB was a very steroid friendly environment for at least 2 decades and that MLB execs not only knew about it, but turned a blind eye to it and, after the strike in '94, even encouraged it to get sales back up. It makes me angry thinking about how now that MLB is in the hot seat over steroids they act like they never had anything to do with this "terrible problem". Canseco's probably being truthful about how many players used steroids.

yeah... MLB.com has some quotes from both Gwynn and Ripken on MacGwire, et al... but those two seem to be pretty good guys... and Ripken's wife is HOT!

I haven't seen any pics of her (them, i.e. Ripkin's family) probably since he broke Gehrig's record, but it stands to reason... most rich guys DO have hot wives... :confused:

So much for the 6 dollar Dodger ticket.

The left field pavilion, and the mile high behind home plate seats are now 10 bucks. Still not bad, but my bad math makes it close to a 50% increase.

In the right field pavilion, it will cost you 35 bucks (40 at the gate)-BUT with an 'all you can eat" feature. Anyone who cares to gorge themselves on Dodger Dogs have just had their dreams realized. Dodger Dogs. nachos, and peanuts are about all you can get in the outfield, and they better be prepared for the onslaught. At least you can't drink beer out there.

I can hardly wait to see what this looks like. I shudder to think about the rest room ramifications.

So much for the 6 dollar Dodger ticket.

The left field pavilion, and the mile high behind home plate seats are now 10 bucks. Still not bad, but my bad math makes it close to a 50% increase.

In the right field pavilion, it will cost you 35 bucks (40 at the gate)-BUT with an 'all you can eat" feature. Anyone who cares to gorge themselves on Dodger Dogs have just had their dreams realized. Dodger Dogs. nachos, and peanuts are about all you can get in the outfield, and they better be prepared for the onslaught. At least you can't drink beer out there.

I can hardly wait to see what this looks like. I shudder to think about the rest room ramifications.

That's a 66.6% increase!

Earlier you said that you couldn't get beer in the outfield... I thought it was just one "family" section? I've seen a couple of games from out there... there was a better view at other times from behind the first base dugout... but I've liked that park best of all of them because (no offense) it has an intimacy to it (at least it did)... kind of like why I like going to minor league parks so much...

Dodger Stadium is still basically the same place-keeping my fingers crossed.

The left and right field outfield 'pavilions' are beer free, and advertised as 'family' sections. Pavilion being an impressive word for bleachers that are separated from the rest of the park.

I've never been in a ballpark I didn't like (except maybe Shea), but I've never loved a park like Dodger Stadium.

me either! ...for some reason I like the minor league ones best!

By "intimacy" do you mean that it feels closer to the game? Perhaps that would be because it IS....?

And I'm not that thrilled with the "Bob" aka Chase Field (no, it doesn't feel like going to the bank, but it does feel like baseball in an airplane hanger)... BUT it beats the heck out of being in the sun on a summer day in Phoenix.

How do you do a "sweaty smile" emoticon?

Five weeks (35 days) until pitchers and catchers begin reporting!

As much as I dont like Yankee Stadium for all the heartbreak that has happened there over the years to the Red Sox, I still have great respect and honor it as a one of a kind never to be duplicated place.

Its unfathomable to me that it will be gone soon....some things just aint right.

Sr Peters/Rome needs an update, may as well tear that one down too ( this time with corporate boxes)

Countdown is now less than one MONTH! (target date = Feb 15)

:jump:

Make that 4 WEEKS from today.

I also just read that the Texas stRangers have offered a minor league contract to Sammy Sosa (who did not play baseball professionally in 2006).

http://news.bostonherald.com/localPolitics...amp;format=text

I'll probably put this link in the politics forum also... it fits in both:

Capitol idea: Senator Schilling? Curt’s not so sure, but fans think he’s just the ticket

By Jesse Noyes

Boston Herald Business Reporter

Friday, January 26, 2007 - Updated: 07:39 AM EST

Curt Schilling seemed surprised yesterday by the sudden groundswell of local supporters hoping to draft him into national politics and a 2008 Senate run against John Kerry.

The Red Sox [team stats] pitching hero didn’t flatly rule out the idea, either, though he didn’t sound like he was about to hit the campaign trail anytime soon.

“I couldn’t rule it out because it’s not something I ever thought about in a serious capacity,” Schilling told the Herald.

“I envision that I will probably be pretty busy in 2008,” he said. “But I’m flattered as hell to even make this phone call.”

The chatter around Schilling taking on Kerry in a senate race started on talk station WRKO-AM (680) yesterday, when a caller to the Todd Feinberg show suggested Schilling would be the best candidate for the job.

“It just kind of energized from there,” Feinberg said. “He became the popular candidate.”

Indeed, Tom Shattuck, executive producer of the show, said it was his busiest day ever taking calls from listeners supporting a potential Schilling bid. Shattuck estimated he took as many as 100 calls from Schilling proponents during the three-hour program.

WRKO also put up an online petition yesterday asking people to choose between Schilling and Kerry. As of yesterday evening 800 votes had been cast and Schilling was leading by 96 percent.

Feinberg said he wants to build a real campaign around Schilling and will present him with the results of the online poll.

But Schilling may doesn’t feel he’s a good match for Capitol Hill.

“While I am a registered voter, I have too many problems with the political scene, and I don’t think I’d fit into it,” he said.

Schilling, who is planning to retire from baseball after this season, did give a glimpse of what he would do in a political office. His first task would be to “fire everybody and anybody who had anything to do with the Big Dig,” he said.

Schilling said in 2008 he’ll vote either for Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), whom he called a personal friend, or Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.). “If they are both on the ticket it will be a tough choice,” he said.

Schilling, who spoke passionately about various political issues, said his own future is centered around winning another World Series, running his charitable foundation for ALS research and heading up his new video game business, Green Monster Games.

:biglaugh:

I commented up in the other thread

If the day ever comes I may vote for him, He'd be a good candidate (better than alot of ones that we have had) and receive alot of votes. There is some of Red Sox Nation that would still vote for him as Pope ..or Messiah given the chance :biglaugh:

We finally got finished with the JD Drew signing saga which took 7 weeks to complete after it was announced.

70 Million/ 5years seems awful high for an iffy proposition...

Its 18 below ZERO right now--when the heck is spring training???