GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Woohoo!

In these corners, the season has now officially started

-its TRUCK DAY!!!-which in these parts is a minor holiday

Heres the equipment truck loading up outside Fenway yesterday as it gets ready to head to Fort Myers--

it wont be long and we'll be hearing that great sound of horsehide slamming into leather

BDD_truck_07.jpg

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbac...cnames0212.html

Working hard for the dream

Look beyond the stars for great stories when spring training gets under way

Joseph A. Reaves

The Arizona Republic

Feb. 12, 2007 12:00 AM

Pitchers and catchers report.

Four of the more beautiful words in the English language.

This Thursday, nine of Major League Baseball's 30 teams open spring training with pitchers and catchers reporting for duty. (continued)

--------------------------

Last night I also heard Keith Olbermann say essentially the same thing.

:dance:

:jump:

Edited by Rocky

Well I am under two feet of snow and ice but it was good to watch the first guys playing a game of catch yesterday.

I found THIS STORY yesterday. ESPN sent a writer to Pearl Lagoon, a tiny town on the Nicaraguan coast where Devern Hansack was born, raised, and continues to live in the offseason. The story and photo essay gives a little insight into the most unlikely member of last year's Red Sox team.

Im sure that there will be a few more stories like this during the year. With all the hype about big money players I still always like to see the little guy make good..

The Nicaraguan pitcher with a Jamaican inflection and British surname sat in his airy Toronto five-star hotel room this past September, took a deep breath and looked down at his dark, flexed forearms.

"A Pearl Lagoon boy is here," Red Sox pitcher Devern Hansack said. "I can't believe I'm here."

You can't fault his amazement, since the past year lifted Hansack from obscure pitcher playing pro ball in Nicaragua to major leaguer on the last day of the season at Fenway Park, no-hitting the Orioles for five rain-shortened innings.

Sundays are reserved for church and baseball. Hallelujahs and prayer readings reminiscent of African-American hymns echo from a church next to my small hotel. Dennis, one of Devern's nine siblings, is playing today for Pearl Lagoon, one of several Atlantic Coast teams that play each other. The boys pictured here sit in their dugout, and when a run is scored they all bang loudly on the top of their tin roof. Reprimanded by the apparent keeper of the park, they knuckle a quick few raps and as the man turns around, and all of the boys break into laughter. Some play in cleats, others in bare feet. Hansack first started playing when he was nine; he had cleats three years later. "He was always so skinny as a kid," Delmer says. "The skinniest one."

2cwosx0.jpg

"He'll be better than Mariano," a local Haulover man yells over the music. Which Mariano he's talking about, we're not sure. Even the people here think Hansack will have a shot at the closer's job in Boston. When Hansack was in Portland, Red Sox senior vice president and general manager Theo Epstein was in town scouting the remaining players. After Hansack won the clinching game for the Eastern League championship and was named MVP, Epstein pulled him aside and told him to, "have fun, but not too much, I need to talk with you." Hansack thought he might be released, or perhaps sent to Triple-A. Instead, he'd finish the year with Boston, Epstein said. "I just held my hand on my head for a moment, I couldn't believe it," Hansack says, mimicking the pose. "I called my mom and she said 'Thank God, Baby. You just gotta keep praying.' "

what are the changes happening in baseball -- rules and stuff -- i think i read after 30 some years ?

http://mlb.mlb.com/content/printer_friendl...16/c1804407.jsp

Playing Rules Committee implements changes for 2007 season02/16/2007 4:22 PM ET MLB.com

• Official rule changes

• Summary of official scoring rule changes

A substantial number of changes made to the Official Baseball Rules by the Playing Rules Committee will be in effect at the Major League level during the 2007 season, it was announced today.

Under Major League Rule 25©, the Playing Rules Committee is charged with voting to amend the Official Baseball Rules. The Playing Rules Committee addressed a number of areas where existing Rules could be clarified, harmonized with other Rules or amended to be consistent with accepted practices at the professional level. The Rules amendments primarily address those areas and do not make any major changes in the way the game is played. This marks the first time that the Rules have been changed since 1996, when the Strike Zone was redefined.

Among the changes is a modification to the Rule regarding regulation tie games. The Rules had provided that a game that is called with the score tied in the bottom of the fifth inning or later is a tie game, to be replayed in its entirety, though player statistics count. In accordance with a unanimous recommendation from the Major League General Managers at their 2005 meetings, the Rule has been changed so that a tied regulation game that is stopped now will be suspended and resumed before the next scheduled game between the same two clubs on the same grounds (or, before the next scheduled game at the visiting club's grounds, if no more games remain at the original club's home park); only if no scheduled games remain between the two clubs would the game be a called, tie game, in which case it would be replayed in its entirety only if necessary to affect a playoff spot.

Many of the changes that the Playing Rules Committee made went into effect in Minor League Baseball play in 2006. After discussions with the Major League Baseball Players Association, several of the amendments passed after the 2005 season and additional ones passed after the 2006 season will be in effect for Major League play in 2007. The Major League Baseball Umpiring Department is explaining these changes to the field staff of the Major League Clubs in visits to each Club's Spring Training facility.

The Playing Rules Committee also extensively revised Official Baseball Rule 10, which concerns official scorers and scoring rules, acting upon recommendations of an ad hoc advisory committee comprised of official scorers, Club personnel and Major League Baseball staff. Among the changes relating to official scoring are:

• a new definition of "ordinary effort" to guide scorers in making determinations on hits, errors and other rulings;

• the addition of many casebook comments to guide official scorers;

• the codification of an appeal process of official scorer decisions; and • a reorganization of certain scoring rules.

The Official Playing Rules Committee consists of the Chief Executive Officer of the San Diego Padres, Sandy Alderson, who serves as Chair of the Committee; Bob Beban, the President and General Manager of the Eugene Emeralds of the Northwest League; Hall of Famer Rod Carew, a 19-year Major League veteran; John McHale, Jr., MLB's Executive Vice President of Administration; Terry Ryan, the Executive Vice President and General Manager of the Minnesota Twins; John Schuerholz, the Executive Vice President and General Manager of the Atlanta Braves; Jimmie Lee Solomon, MLB's Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations; Bill Stoneman, the Vice President and General Manager of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim; and Umpire Larry Young, who has over 22 years of experience at the Major League level.

"A number of issues about the playing rules, some more technical in nature than others, had accumulated among umpires, Clubs, players and Major League Baseball for some time," Alderson said. "The Playing Rules Committee hopes that these amendments will serve to clarify these issues and, by doing so, benefit all who play and umpire the game at all levels."

Summaries of the Official Baseball Rules changes are appended, one explaining changes to Rules 1 through 9 and the other explaining changes to the Rules governing official scoring. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

-----------------

The two links above will take you to .pdf files with the official releases.

Hadnt heard that, your not confusing it with basketball are you? I think there was some furor in the NBA this year over something like that.

I'm pretty sure Dr Strangelove was intentionally (jokingly) making that particular juxtaposed suggestion.

That's why I mentioned his "buddy Dirk N." (who happens to play basketball... for the Dallas Mavericks).

maybe someone can word this better, or can think up the derivation and roots of it --(Its too early around here) but Like any ball in play... fly ball, ground ball..whatever..the out isnt recorded until the defense actually makes the final play cleanly. Routine ground balls and flyballs, forceouts etc.which could be, arent automatic outs either, until the defense executes the end of the play..

I like the rule, it gives another added and sometimes unexpected twist (or annoyance) to a game).

I do think its a good thing that they amended it so that the batter cant leave the batters box , go to the dugout or out to his position then trot to first, anymore-that stuff could cause riots!

Welcome old catcher---I am an old catcher too, I understand.... I suppose I like the rule now more as a fan than when I was behind the plate and occasionally wanted to crawl into a hole after letting one get by and sailing the throw to first into rightfield.. :doh:

At those times I definitely wanted the rule repealed..

but imo it is a good quirk that can add unexpected excitement and drama to the game

Edited by mstar1

I wouldve liked to see four strikes but only when I was batting, but what can you do?

The rangers are looking good, if they can get through that heat in July and August, which always seems to kill them , it could be interesting, .

I think they would do well to sign a dome to a 10 year no cut contract with options to renew. It would have to be cheaper than what they paid for ARod, and probably would give them better results

From todays Newberg report:

While stories on how many autographs Sosa signed were being compiled in Surprise and filed in Bristol, Rangers management and Michael Young's agent spent some meaningful time away from the cameras and the microphones and the notepads, getting down to business and discussing the parameters of a deal that would extend the shared identity between franchise and player well into the next decade.

T.R. Sullivan reports this morning that the two sides have made "significant progress" on a contract that would keep Young right here for the next seven years.

This is definitely good news for stRanger fans...

EP, are you in the DFW area, too?

I think the Rangers are shaping up better than ever this year,

and locking in Micheal Young would be the best thing John Boy Daniels has ever done.

good deal.. we'll have to venture out to the sweat box with Tonto and Tbone and Mr&Mrs doojable sometime...

locking up MY is a good... then they can lock up Tex, although I think that might be harder with Boras (the baseball antichrist) as his agent...

oh... and sorry to hear about the Red Sox thing...

From Newberg:

Multiple local reports indicate that Michael Young and the Texas Rangers are on the verge of a five-year, $80 extension that would kick in after the 2008 season, which means Young will effectively earn an average of $12.7 million annually over the next seven seasons.

very good news indeed! ...for stRanger fans!

From Newberg:

very good news indeed! ...for stRanger fans!

sure... those that don't have to pay for season tickets... which will go up how much per year?

btw, umpires will be yelling PLAY BALL in less than an hour on the first Cactus League 2007 games! (does the Grapefruit League start today also?)

don't know... I'm down in the keys where nobody seems to care...

Ah... Margaritaville... don't they serve pin... oh never mind! :biglaugh:

I DID find (on Yahoo sports) that they did play Grapefruit League games today. (I guess that would now be yesterday in Florida).