GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

damn right --I gave em yesterday although I was tempted to put the baseball thread back on top--

Its good to see its back where it belongs.

Its 3 below zero---but Im feeling that first pitch already

Here in the winter (spring) home of the SF Giants, even the weather's feeling like it's time to begin Spring Training!

Mid-70s and clear skies today!

Okay, men.... put your lockers in order, weigh in, then begin your stretching exersizes and first day ball toss, in about an hour, we'll meet on the field to begin drills!

Low 70's here today (DFW)... might have to "go to church" this afternoon...

Would that be the "Church of the 18 Links" ? :biglaugh:

Weather's been great in Cactus League land all this week... maybe some rain early next week, but clearing by the time training camps open up (next Friday, noon MST for the Dbacks in Tucson).

A friend at work is vacationing near Dodgertown in March. He wanted to experience it before the Dodgers pull up stakes in Florida, and move spring training to Arizona. He'll be seeing some games there, and travelling around to a few other parks, including the Bosox. All games in the Yankees park in Tampa are sold out, which is amazing to me.

I've never been a big spring training guy, outside of the anticipation that opening day is coming. The games are dull, though you're glad they're here. I was at 1 Yankee spring training game as a lad, so long ago that Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris were playing. My uncle was an engineer in Florida who helped design the spring training park, and took me. We had seats right behind home plate, but I remember the place as only being half full at best.

It's getting closer. I'm so ready.

A friend at work is vacationing near Dodgertown in March. He wanted to experience it before the Dodgers pull up stakes in Florida, and move spring training to Arizona. He'll be seeing some games there, and travelling around to a few other parks, including the Bosox. All games in the Yankees park in Tampa are sold out, which is amazing to me.

I've never been a big spring training guy, outside of the anticipation that opening day is coming. The games are dull, though you're glad they're here. I was at 1 Yankee spring training game as a lad, so long ago that Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris were playing. My uncle was an engineer in Florida who helped design the spring training park, and took me. We had seats right behind home plate, but I remember the place as only being half full at best.

It's getting closer. I'm so ready.

Indeed... it IS time for baseball to get started!

Question for you Hiway... don't you think it makes sense for the Dodgers to train in AZ instead of FL? What are your thoughts?

It makes total sense for the Dodgers to train in Arizona. LA folks will flock to games there, and it's a shorter trip to the big park for the team.

There is a Dodgertown tradition that is unique, which is the main reason they stayed so long. It's a nice complex with everything at their fingertips, in a setting that fits te 'Dodger image',if you will.

They can build a new one in Arizona, and just move the 'Vin Scully drive' sign cross country.

Still, any change in baseball is a mixed bag, and the end of Dodgertown is kinda sad.

It makes total sense for the Dodgers to train in Arizona. LA folks will flock to games there, and it's a shorter trip to the big park for the team.

There is a Dodgertown tradition that is unique, which is the main reason they stayed so long. It's a nice complex with everything at their fingertips, in a setting that fits te 'Dodger image',if you will.

They can build a new one in Arizona, and just move the 'Vin Scully drive' sign cross country.

Still, any change in baseball is a mixed bag, and the end of Dodgertown is kinda sad.

Man I'd love to be listening to Vin calling a game... he's the best in history, IMNSHO!

If Vin Scully makes it to Spring Training in AZ, I'll make it to at least a game or two...

Sorry about the length of the quote, but I just love getting these everyday... it keeps the juices flowing...

From the Newberg Report:

THE NEWBERG REPORT

Less than a week until the glorious pop of stitched cowhide against stitched full-grain leather, and the squeak-scrape of metal cleats, a sound that should be aversive but is anything but. For some of us it’s classical music.

So was this, in Gil LeBreton’s Fort Worth Star-Telegram column this morning, recounting Ron Washington’s meeting with Michael Young and Mark Teixeira shortly after he was named the Rangers’ new manager in November:

“This is your team,” Washington told his two stars.

It’s the players’ clubhouse, he was telling them. The players swing the bats. They win or lose the games.

Washington wasn’t dodging any responsibilities. Instead, he was empowering Young and Teixeira to take charge -- to be the team leaders that they need to be.

If reading that doesn’t get you going, it’s doubtful that spikes and mitts will, either. Can’t wait for Camp Washington to get underway.

So there are some people close to the game who think Alex Rodriguez may exercise his contractual right to void the final three years of his deal after this season. While I have a hard time believing A-Rod would opt out of a guaranteed $81 million that would leave him at just age 35 at the conclusion of the deal, set that discussion aside for now: How great would it be if voiding his current deal relieved Texas of its continuing financial obligations? It probably wouldn’t if this is just Scott Boras posturing to get the Yankees to extend the existing deal, but this could get interesting.

MLB has changed its draft rules for the sandwich rounds to ensure that all supplemental picks awarded for the loss of Type A free agents are made before any Type B supplemental picks. Makes sense. And if I’m interpreting the provisions correctly, the Rangers will pick as follows in the first three rounds:

FIRST: 17, 24

SUPPLEMENTAL FIRST: 35, 44, 54

SECOND: 81 (could move up a spot if Arizona’s 2006 first-rounder, righthander Max Scherzer, signs with the Diamondbacks; could drop a spot if a team other than the Yankees signs Ron Villone)

THIRD: 111 (same contingencies)

The Rangers’ draft power is accentuated by the common assessment that this stands to be one of the best draft crops in years, particularly at the high school level. The Texas farm system, through graduations and trades, has gone lately from being considered middle of the pack to among the league’s thinnest, but the organization has a real chance to change that with an impact draft in June and a continuation of its resurgence in Latin America.

John Sickels grades Rangers prospects as follows in his “Baseball Prospect Book 2007” (listed alphabetically within category):

A- : Eric Hurley (number 11 pitching prospect in baseball)

B : Thomas Diamond, Kasey Kiker, John Mayberry Jr., Edinson Volquez (number 40 pitching prospect in baseball)

B- : Wes Littleton, Taylor Teagarden, Chad Tracy

C+ : Joaquin Arias, Jason Botts, Nelson Cruz, Chris Davis, German Duran, Emerson Frostad, Danny Ray Herrera, Marcus Lemon, Josh Rupe, Anthony Webster

C : Brandon Boggs, Jake Brigham, Francisco Cruceta, Armando Galarraga, Craig Gentry, Grant Gerrard, Nate Gold, Daniel Haigwood, Ben Harrison, Tug Hulett, Kevin Mahar, Travis Metcalf, Steve Murphy, Omar Poveda, Johnny Whittleman

Hurley is the first Rangers prospect to earn more than a B+ from Sickels, a notoriously tough grader, since he gave Mark Teixeira an “A” before the 2003 season.

Sickels’s book, as usual, is loaded with great information and analysis. You should buy it.

A little clarification on that Mets deal with Chan Ho Park, first reported to be worth $3 million: Park is guaranteed only $600,000, with an opportunity based on innings pitched to earn an additional $2.4 million.

Lefthander Jeff Fassero retired.

It was a dark and stormy night... oops, no, THAT's tomorrows weather forecast. Today, sunny and warm, temp at my house in the mid-70s.

Action at Scottsdale Stadium (home games for SF Giants during spring) is happening! I drove by there on my way home this afternoon...

..expecting up to 2 feet of snow---

but I did throw a snowball today---laid a perfect slider with alittle heat on the rear quarter panel of my friends pickup-just past the wheelwell

-Steeee Rikee...

...surely that counts for something

Edited by mstar1

..expecting up to 2 feet of snow---

but I did throw a snowball today---laid a perfect slider with alittle heat on the rear quarter panel of my friends pickup-just past the wheelwell

-Steeee Rikee...

...surely that counts for something

Of course it does!!! Especially since you put some heat on it! :dance: