GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

midweek tickets against the Mariners from a ticket agency. Box seat $1495.00 each down to obstructed view standing room at $195.00 each.

Thats just one ticket, bring a date or god forbid a coupla kids, park and allthe extras and ...well...its

truely obscene.

There is a part of me that wishes that the Red Sox would s u c k for a few years, so all the people who have showed up in the last 4-5 years would leave, things could get somewhat back to normal, and you could walk into the park whenever you felt like it and enjoy a game without mortgaging your future.

Ha Ha you sure hit the nail on the head that is obscene. Only problem Red Sox fans would probably pay that much to see a loser too. I believe that has been going on for most of the century except the past few years. Try being a Mariners fan like us. You will pay to build a stadium that the public voted down (don't ask) and you see really good players losing. Oh yeah and now Ichiro wants like 15 million to sign a contract?? Slap hitter that hits .350 but drives in few runs and doesn't hit for power except when it suits him. AHHHHSOOOO Malinels should win the west this year but theres always the pexky A's.

Some Red Sox fans might pay that much, I would hope that the oldtime fans like myself would constrain themselves somewhat. The problem has been that the new owners are so good at marketing that it has not only brought new fans to the park, but it has also become the cool and hip place to go-baseball fan or not. There are mountains of people who will spend any amount to 'be there' and have the expereince, while only being casual fans, who would just as soon go to the Art Museum, or take a weekend trip to NYC instead. Fenway only seats 35,000, they could probably sell close to 60,000 per game now, so tickets skyrocket.

So , for me it will be once and awhile, and high school and minor league games -which suits me just fine. Some of the best games that I have seen in the last few years have been in the Little League

Has the baseball season started yet? :dance:

I watched some of the last spring training game for the dbacks yesterday on TV. Very exciting, especially the finish.

Snakes led most of the game (until the top of the 9th, I believe it was). Padres came back to take an 8-7 lead. Going into the bottom of the 9th, Robbie Hammock (he caught Johnson's perfect game against the Braves in 2004), who's been languishing in the minors since '04, capped off a very good spring driving in the tying run. Justin Upton, another hot prospect, comes to bat with the bases loaded, score tied. Upton, THE first draft pick back in (I think it was) '04, hits a walk off grand slam. What an exciting way to end spring training. Upton's headed back to play for the Tucson Sidewinders (AAA, Pacific Coast League).

Of course, last year, the Sidewinders wound up being the AAA champions, having beaten the International League champ.

Micah Owings, who pitched that AAA championship game (for Tucson), has earned a spot in the dbacks starting rotation. The kid was 16-2 last year in combined A and AAA ball.

It appears the dbacks have some good starting pitching. Brandon Webb's looking like he's ready for another big year, the Big Unit is expected to be in the rotation in a couple of weeks (he's been pitching, but they don't want to rush his 43 year old string bean body).

Other than that, I'm thinking there's been plenty of hype about dbacks starting pitchers. Livan Hernandez (who MIGHT be good this season, but he's not necessarily mr. consistency) and Doug Davis, who I hadn't heard of before the big trade the dbacks had with the Brewers -- those two are question marks IMO...

Then the position players are all pretty young... and expected to be a good hitting team (without a "thumper, who would be expected to hit 30+ HRs in the season).

So, I'd like to see the dbacks and the stRangers in the WS... ;)

First pitch of the 2007 season in Major League Baseball is in less than TWO HOURS!

Tom Glavine and the Mets take on the reigning (defending?) World Series Champion St. Louis Cardinals, and Jeff Suppan.

It will be on ESPN2 and should be broadcast in HD.

It sure will be good to hear the voices of Jon Miller and Joe Morgan again (a team second only to the master, Vin Scully)!

The first half-inning has been played.

Already, I have a correction.

My source for the post above, cbs.sportsline.com said Suppan would be starting for the Cards. That was incorrect. Carpenter started.

Listened to the game while driving down from Miami... ah... theater of the mind...

So, Tom, what were your Keys to the game? ;)

Anyway, the winter of our discontent has finally come to an end! :eusa_clap:

Some Red Sox fans might pay that much, I would hope that the oldtime fans like myself would constrain themselves somewhat. The problem has been that the new owners are so good at marketing that it has not only brought new fans to the park, but it has also become the cool and hip place to go-baseball fan or not. There are mountains of people who will spend any amount to 'be there' and have the expereince, while only being casual fans, who would just as soon go to the Art Museum, or take a weekend trip to NYC instead. Fenway only seats 35,000, they could probably sell close to 60,000 per game now, so tickets skyrocket.

So , for me it will be once and awhile, and high school and minor league games -which suits me just fine. Some of the best games that I have seen in the last few years have been in the Little League

So, Mstar, have you taken a gander at the BoSox 2007 schedule yet?

Might be time to reserve your flights to be in the Valley of the Sun June 8-10 (Fri-Sun). It might be cheaper for you to buy air travel tickets and see three games for $15... at the Bob (oops, it's now Chase Field).

Edited by Rocky

I may do that Rock

Its amazing what a difference a day makes---Ive been sort of take it or leave it so far, but its mid afternoon and today I am home and watching Papi drive in the first run of the year and Schilling on the mound again...

Opening Day

Opening Day

despite all the trite comments about how everyone is even today, and the hope,rebirth life and spring all those things that we have read a thousand times about opening day

I do know one thing, After battling through a long cold dark New England winter, no matter what happened yesterday-good or bad- today is better, because today there is baseball and I finally feel like Im home again

The Minney-soda Twins are getting ready to take the field in a few minutes.

As of Sunday, they will now be without the *voice* they've had for the past 45 years.

Carneal joined the Twins broadcast team in 1962, the team's second season in Minnesota.

He had spent the previous five seasons doing play-by-play for the Baltimore Orioles,

and before that had worked Philadelphia Phillies and A's games.

HERB CARNEAL

I may do that Rock

Its amazing what a difference a day makes---Ive been sort of take it or leave it so far, but its mid afternoon and today I am home and watching Papi drive in the first run of the year and Schilling on the mound again...

Opening Day

Opening Day

despite all the trite comments about how everyone is even today, and the hope,rebirth life and spring all those things that we have read a thousand times about opening day

I do know one thing, After battling through a long cold dark New England winter, no matter what happened yesterday-good or bad- today is better, because today there is baseball and I finally feel like Im home again

And doncha know that a Schilling-Johnson match up is in "the cards" for that weekend!... if both of them are healthy still by then.

Dback's won their season opener, first time in five years, they said. I haven't verified it, but they are probably correct.

Let me know, mstar, and we'll get SimonZelotes and go see some big time baseball!

----------

Dave,

I saw that about Carneal while watching the Mets/Cards game yesterday. 45 years... there must be some serious grieving going on for Twins fans. I'm sorta disappointed that Thom Brenemann, the main Dback's announcer for their first 9 seasons, just up and left. He took a job working Reds games with his dad (in Cincinnati).

I can't imagine what loss baseball fans in MN must be feeling.

Hopefully, the Twins will have a great season in his honor.

I didn't know until this year that the forty days of the Lenton season where designed to purify us for the opening of baseball season...

Sorry to hear about your announcer,Miller...I confess,I never heard him,but he must have been good to be on the job for 45 years...Since you're quite the yeoman when it comes to posting vids and such here,maybe you could link a little blurb of him on the job---I would have liked to have heard him...

I didn't really throw a big bash this year and get all dressed up for Opening Day,...didn't buy anybody any presents or go to Mass---just had a quiet dinner of Ballpark Franks and Pepsi-cola with the family...My only disappointment was that the first game was a night game between the Cards and the Mets...I'm sorry,--and I know---I'm a traditionalist,but I still want the first pitch of the baseball season to be thrown on a Monday afternoon in Cincinatti....Can't MLB leave some traditions intact?....When I was watching the Cards-Mets game,they kept running a ticker under the screen that B-Bonds hit two homers that day and now has 7---in the preseason!!?? Meanwhile,on the same day,a game that counts is being played...Who in the hell thinks up this stuff,anyway?

I haven't posted here in a llooonnnngggg time. Not sure when the last time was, but I know I havent made more than an isolated post in a couple or three years. There might be a reason, but I shouldnt go into it here. Anyway, in honor of Simon still being arond, I am popping in to plug my unbeaten Indians.

Nice pic.

(Matsuzaka)

I just can't stop starring.

I don't when, but I really want to see Fenway again.

Matsuzaka Matsuzaka Matsuzaka

An era? I sure hope so. Pedro was fun for awhile.

We got some other good arms already.

Been wandering around Arizona for the first week of the season, and have caught a couple Dbacks ganes on the tube. It's always fascinating to see local channels broadcasting their teams.

The announcers who I can't name are fine, but I'm glad I have Vin to go home to. The Washington Nationals ballpark(which I believe is the same joint the Senators played in long ago) seems dark and depressing. They are getting a new park next year though.

It will be entertaining this season to follow Mstar, Bolshevik, and the Japanese pitcher. What's his name again ?

I may bequeath my seat to Bolshevik

A few weeks back MLB.COm ran an article saying that the Cy Young was Matsuzakas to lose, and rated him higher than Santana.

It seemed a bit of a stretch considering he had yet to through a single major league pitch at the time, and guys like Verlander didnt even make the list

We will see what the new wunderkind does, so far so good on the diamond.

Its going to be an adjustment to see signs for Dunkin Donuts and Sullivan Tires in Japanese around the ballpark though as well as the mob of Japanese Media that is everywhere all the time

Speaking of different announcers I understand that the Red Sox games are now all on TV in Japan ( The Red Sox had alot of plans up their sleeve besides pitching when spending the 100+Mil to get him-like opening up the asian market..)

Im gonna have to try and find a Red Sox broadcast in japanese one of these days-that ought to be an experience.

So far no injuries from JD, although he looks just a bit too mellow after years of watching Trot Nixon in right.

So far no injuries from JD, although he looks just a bit too mellow after years of watching Trot Nixon in right.

Yep, that sounds like JD. Another selling point for you to come out here in June... JD practically owns Dbacks pitching.

As laid back as the guy is, and though he doesn't seem any more intense against the Dbacks... he's plenty productive.

And HIWAY! You've been here in AZ and haven't gotten in touch? I'm shocked! (not really) However, the Dbacks won't be playing their home opener until Monday.

The world champions have lost 21 - 2 so far ... they looked pretty lame. Some new blood there ... could be a long year, plus we got blocked out of a lot of their televised games. Time to root for the cubbies and white sox I guess.

Play Ball

I never got near Dback country. I was up north in Sedona and the big hole in the ground.

So now the Dodgers are sending out an instructional video on 'how to park' at Dodger Stadium. sigh

The Big Hole in the Ground, eh? Sedona's not that small too... :) Nice time of year to visit up there I bet. Was it very crowded? It seems anymore, and especially on weekends, there's just way too much traffic there. In the 1970s, it was sure nice... went camping and fishing in Oak Creek, just a buddy and me, right before we started our senior year in HS (Aug 1971). We caught several trout... thems was some good eatin!

Cubbies playing right now on WGN... looks like they are having their way with the Brewers!

Dbacks just finished off the Nationals... rising star rookie pitcher Micah Owings threw 5 scoreless innings of one hit ball for his first big league win. Dbacks now 3-2 on the season... could be better, could be worse. They look pretty good for the most part.

Not like very many of you guys care about them anyway.

The area AROUND Sedona is amazing. Sedona itself is sadly becoming a giant tourist trap, overcrowded, and construction spilling out everywhere for new 'resorts'.

The BEST place to see was Jerome, the old mining town on the mountains not far from Sedona, which still maintains its old charm, while becoming an interesting artists community. One can only hope it doesn't go the way of Sedona.

Except for the overdone tourism, I found Arizona to be quite wonderful, and only encountered warm, hospitable people.

I care about any interesting player, regardless of who's laundry he wears.