GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I go to another board www.sonsofsamhorn.com, which is mostly sox stuff, there is also a political forumthere similar to the GS one. Schilling is a member and although he is on the conservative side, he is not of the bullheaded, obnoxious, closeminded variety. Although I disagree with him, I do respect him and he is actually pretty open---If thats any consolation--

The senator comment up a few posts was half in jest anyway..

It IS just a little bit of a consolation... and let's hope HE thinks running for senator is a laughing matter.

If he were more along the lines of Bill Bradley, I'd be a little less nervous about his political aspirations.

Frankly, I think he likes to express his views, but doubt he'll want to put in the amount of work being a senator will require... especially while his kids are still young. He's always been a bit of a maverick when it comes to speaking out on baseball labor issues.

btw, hiway and mstar... if you guys would lend some support over in wRonG's latest tirade about guns I would appreciate it! ;)

Baseball like baseball should be played tonight--I got home in the 8th with the sox struggling and down against Roy Halliday, who is a certified Sox killer, and the BJays.

Inextricably Halliday was removed with a low pitch count, with 1 out in the eighth, :blink:

a single and a two out homer by Manny ties it up about 10 minutes later in the eighth, So much for a great performance from Halliday. A Great defensive play by Alex Cora turning a DP in the bottom of the 8th saves a run keeping the Jays from going ahead and ends the inning. Cora triples in Lugo in the top of the 9th to take the lead. ( I like these ex dodgers!!)

Bottom of the 9th-Papelbon is lights out.

Give 'em a "W"

Well played :eusa_clap:

Good baseball

Baseball like baseball should be played tonight--I got home in the 8th with the sox struggling and down against Roy Halliday, who is a certified Sox killer, and the BJays.

Inextricably Halliday was removed with a low pitch count, with 1 out in the eighth, :blink:

a single and a two out homer by Manny ties it up about 10 minutes later in the eighth, So much for a great performance from Halliday. A Great defensive play by Alex Cora turning a DP in the bottom of the 8th saves a run keeping the Jays from going ahead and ends the inning. Cora triples in Lugo in the top of the 9th to take the lead. ( I like these ex dodgers!!)

Bottom of the 9th-Papelbon is lights out.

Give 'em a "W"

Well played :eusa_clap:

Good baseball

Is THIS a sign? Is THIS the year for the Red Sox?

Im not reading any tea leaves yet, and arent looking for signs --just well turned DP's in the clutch will do

:)

Whether this year or not is THE year I dunno---it was a well played game and fun to watch. and that was enough for me ---I can take it for that.

I'll leave the prophecies up to Spiderwoman Graeser

Edited by mstar1

Nomar is at first mainly because of the injury history. When the Dodgers first got him it was a mystery if he'd stay healthy enough to play at all.

At this point, Furcal is probably a better shortstop anyway.

Geez, I try to steer clear of RonG's tirades. I'm not much of a political debater, and seldom tread into the waters on that strange board. I haven't been following it for a couple of days, but I'll see if I have anything to say. My hats off to Rocky for having the stomach and the ability to challenge some of the junk in there.

April is a little early for determining how anyone's year will be. By July, April will be a distant memory, though of course every W counts.

It's a loooong season, with peaks, valleys, injuries, and unexpected surprises.

The Cardinals are off to the worst start for a world series champion since the marlins in '98 I think 6-9

Fortunately if they win 3 from the lowly Cubbies, they will at least hit 500. ;)

But really, I guess there is a glimmer of hope (again) for the Cubs. At least one of the two teams will win today.

...we're trying not to worry too much about the entire stRanger lineup hitting well below their career numbers, we figure they'll come around... and (for the most part) the pitching hasn't been too bad... nice outing from Kam Loe last night, he's been trying to break into the starting rotation for a couple of years now, we're set up nicely with Otsuka and Gagne at the back... the bats will come around... anyway, a nice rebound last night from the shellacking they took on Friday...

Isringhausen is looking good so far this year. I went to a game late in '05 against Houston. It was a competitive game but it came down to the closers. Houston scored the winning run off Izzy and Brad Lidge was lights out. Izzy was no better last year; I was glad that Adam Wainwright was successful. But so far this year his fastball has some pop to it. Today he got his first blown save of the year in 5 tries but it was caused more by the Wrigley field wind than his pitching. Cards still won the game, but after seeing him have mixed results for the last few years, I'm impressed with what I see so far this year.

...we're trying not to worry too much about the entire stRanger lineup hitting well below their career numbers, we figure they'll come around... and (for the most part) the pitching hasn't been too bad... nice outing from Kam Loe last night, he's been trying to break into the starting rotation for a couple of years now, we're set up nicely with Otsuka and Gagne at the back... the bats will come around... anyway, a nice rebound last night from the shellacking they took on Friday...

I guess they didn't come around enough against my Indians last two days. Sammy hits two and the Tribe still winds easily.

A bit ironic to me, since the only team that I ever called my favorite, other than Cleveland, was the Washington Senators for a few years, when I lived there. But we got Short changed on that franchise.

The Dodgers were close with this CA native for a long time, but never quite made it to the top with me.

New Baseball Drug Bombshell

APRIL 27--In a new steroids bombshell, a former New York Mets clubhouse employee has admitted distributing various performance-enhancing drugs to "dozens of current and former Major League Baseball players." Kirk Radomski, 37, pleaded guilty today to distributing anabolic steroids and laundering the proceeds of the illicit business, which operated from his New York home. According to a plea agreement filed in U.S. District Court in San Jose, California, Radomski sold ballplayers anabolic steroids, Human Growth Hormone, and amphetamines from 1995 to December 2005, when his home was raided by federal agents. In the plea agreement, a copy of which you'll find below, Radomski stated that during his prior clubhouse employment he developed "contacts with Major League Baseball players throughout the country to whom I subsequently distributed anabolic steroids and athletic performance-enhancing drugs." Radomski, who worked for the Mets from 1985-1995, added that he "had personal contact with some of my baseball drug clients, but consulted and conducted drug transactions with others over the telephone and the mail." The court filing does not identify any of Radomski's clients. (The court filing is 8 pages)

Terrible news for the entire baseball community about Josh Hancock,and especially the Cardinals organization...Good God,you throw three innings on a Saturday afternoon and at midnight you're gone...The Cards did the right thing in postponing the game,and 'tho I didn't watch it all,I think ESPN did the respectful thing of having their special SportCenter to fill in the time slot of the Cubs-Cards game that was cancelled instead of some hokey fill-in show...

And another wierd occurance on the same day,'tho certainly not tragic....That rookie on Colorado,Tulowitzski,turns the thirteenth unassisted triple plays in major league history....It's strange that unassisted triple plays are about as rare as a pitcher throwing a perfect game.....Yet the perfect game requires a spectacular full game performance by a pitcher along with a flawless performance by the defence...An unassisted triple play,on the other hand,usually is pretty unspectacular...Runners on first and second,nobody out,it helps when the runners are going on a 3-2 pitch,then a nice line drive to the left of the shortstop...Easy catch,and as long as he's moving to his left anyway,might as well step on second so as not to spoil his momentum and---lookie here,the runner on first is standing right there frozen,like I just caught him wearing my bathrobe...Might just as well tag him too... Tulowitzski even went back and tagged second again then threw to first,'cuz he couldn't believe it could be that easy...

Terrible news for the entire baseball community about Josh Hancock,and especially the Cardinals organization...

Yeah... not something one wants to hear about, or have happen. :(

... rookie on Colorado,Tulowitzski,turns the thirteenth unassisted triple plays in major league history....It's strange that unassisted triple plays are about as rare as a pitcher throwing a perfect game.....

How many years are they counting? I don't know when MLB history starts, but didn't the game get "invented" somewhere around 1848?

So, what does that do for the price of a Tulowitzski rookie card? :blink: Obviously, that kid just stepped into the history books, without even realizing it. :eusa_clap:

So... Hiway29, were you at the Dodgers game tonight?

Edited by Rocky

I'm not sure how back they count records, but the National League was formed in 1876, and the American in 1901. Some of the rules and style of play in the 19th century made it a different game, but I think by the 1890's baseball was pretty much the game we know now.

Something I find interesting is that players were leaving their gloves on the field well into the 20's and even later. It seems incredible that balls never hit them, or fielders weren't tripped up, but I've never heard of a glove on the field incident.

I'm not sure how back they count records, but the National League was formed in 1876, and the American in 1901. Some of the rules and style of play in the 19th century made it a different game, but I think by the 1890's baseball was pretty much the game we know now.

Something I find interesting is that players were leaving their gloves on the field well into the 20's and even later. It seems incredible that balls never hit them, or fielders weren't tripped up, but I've never heard of a glove on the field incident.

History of the Unassisted Triple Play in MLB

This linked page shows:

7 in the American League, the first on July 19, 1909 by Cleveland Indians' SS Neal Ball; the last by Oakland 2B Randy Velarde on May 29, 2000.

AND

6 in the National League, the first on October 6, 1923 by Boston Braves SS Ernie Padgett; the last (most recent) on April 29 (Sunday) by Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzki.

2 times, the UTP was made by a First Baseman, 8 by Shortstops, and 3 by Second Basemen.

In EVERY instance, the defensive player caught a line drive, tagged one runner and one base before the other runner was able to return safely to it.

So, since we are relying on the records kept by the Baseball Almanac web site, apparently the history of the UTP began in July 1909, just under 98 years ago.

????????

I musta missed something,'cuz I have no idea what you're talking about here....

For a long time-many years ago, it was common practice for fielders to leave their gloves on the field when they went in to bat. It seems ridiculous today, but it was a practice that was common even in the major leagues and lasted into the 30's.

WHY they did it is beyond me, outside of custom and habit. Why and when they stopped I also don't know. I don't know if a common collective common sense occured, or if the players began to be more protective of the more improved gloves.

I was once playing softball and watched the guy playing first begin to run to the dugout. He stopped turned back and tossed his glove behind first base. I reminded him that went out of practice some 50 years ago and he should get his glove off the field, but somehow it got into his head that's what you're supposed to do.

I found this ...

"In 1953 it was legal to leave your glove on the field. Before the 1954 season, major league baseball changed the rule, so that was the year the gloves came off the field."

and this

I think you are slightly confused. Only the outfielders would leave their gloves and they were not shared with the other team. I don't know when this practice ended, but I've heard that players began spitting on the gloves left in the field and that was pretty much the end of that practice.

Edited by rhino

wow, as late as that! that's amazing to me

I've tried spotting gloves on the field in old clips-not easy to do

wow, as late as that! that's amazing to me

I've tried spotting gloves on the field in old clips-not easy to do

so amazing I had to say it twice!

OK...Gee, I never heard of that...I remember as kids we were always short a few gloves(and players,for that matter),and the guys would leave the gloves where they were playing in the field for the other team's guy to use....'Course,we really didn't have positions like shortstop and second base---usually, it was pitcher's hands out,and anything hit to the right of second base,or the cottonwood tree,was a foul,or an out if it was getting dark and you wanted to speed the game up...The umpire was usually the oldest brother,or the biggest kid on the field...