GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

The area AROUND Sedona is amazing. Sedona itself is sadly becoming a giant tourist trap, overcrowded, and construction spilling out everywhere for new 'resorts'.

The BEST place to see was Jerome, the old mining town on the mountains not far from Sedona, which still maintains its old charm, while becoming an interesting artists community. One can only hope it doesn't go the way of Sedona.

Except for the overdone tourism, I found Arizona to be quite wonderful, and only encountered warm, hospitable people.

I care about any interesting player, regardless of who's laundry he wears.

Interesting player: Micah Owings. He's looking like the real deal. Major league debut this evening in DC. 5 scoreless (one hit) innings in very cold conditions. Keep your eyes open when he faces the Dodger Blue.

Your impression of Sedona sounds like you've got it correct.

Jerome has a very important thing going for it to discourage resort development: the extremely steep terrain. It's a definitely a pretty interesting place. Did you get any of the stories of haunted hotels/hotel rooms?

I walked up to the 'haunted hotel' and talked with the women behind the desk for awhile. I heard a few of the ghost stories . It's a unique place sitting on top of the hill. Used to be a hospital.

Had the best hamburger in memory at the 'Haunted Hamburger" a block below it.

I also bought a painting from an artist I met who, with his wife, have an entire 3 story converted school as a studio.

Exploring the levels of the town, as they're right on top of each other was fun. Everyone wanted to talk, even 2 guys digging a ditch, and a telephone lineman working up high.

Good town, Jerome.

well mstar... Schilling and Poppelblam looked quite impressive last night... I thought Padilla did as well (except for two pitches)... it was a good game... I sure hope this series just means that the stRangers are waking up as opposed to being an entirely different team at home than on the road (as in the past)...

So far, the new Dodger parking lot system has been a total disaster. It took hours to clear the stadium on opening day. A good number of the newly hired parking attendants left their posts when they tired of people yelling at them. Even Vin Scully was stuck in the mess, and class guy that he is, refused offers to let him bypass the jam.

The Union 76 gas station, a staple at Dodger Stadium since it's opening, did a fraction of it's usual business, since cars are now herded, and you can't go off the system to get gas. The owner is already predicting he'll have to close.

Stadium workers now have to park outside the Stadium. There is a shuttle bus for the workers (not the fans), that quit because they couldn't fight the traffic jam, causing the vendors,ushers, and janitors to walk a looong way. Many of these people are senior citizens and one woman fell and passed out before she could get to her car.

Owner Frank McCourt is not to be found. He didn't even show at his seat for the second game, leaving his wife to 'take the bullet' as she puts it. Of course, they refuse to change, and now it's a power play between the fans and the owners as to who will give in.

I'm going to the game on Friday. Never have I had to worry about what goes on outside the park until now. I'll post a report, if I ever get back.

His name is Ichiro

Ichiro Ichiro Ichiro

So, who won that game?

btw, Dbacks, now in the bottom of the 9th, trailing 3-1 against the Reds, scored the second run with a two out double by Chad Tracy. So, tying run is at second.... even if Dbacks lose, they've had a great beginning to the season so far...

game over, Reds won... overall a good game anyway.

I haven't gotten too much into the pro season yet 'cuz it's still a little early to figure who's going to be hot and not,and I've been savoring my son's last year of highschool ball...

Yesterday,my kid's game was a real donnybrook against their arch-rivals...I arrived a half-hour late and we were already down 8-0 with one out in the top of the first...By the time our boys finally came to bat they were in an 11-0 hole...I don't know what their manager(ex-'69 Cubs backup catcher,Ken Rudolph) possibly could have told them when he congregated with them after finally getting out of the first,other than "keep your head in it","have good at bats","it ain't over 'til it's over" yadda,yadda...We did manage to get three runs in the bottom of the first but then they scored three more to make it 16-3..Suddenly, their starting pitcher couldn't get anybody out,and they brought in a reliever who couldn't hit the ocean from the beach,and he either walked or hit batters with the bases loaded to bring the score up to 16-10...A few doubles and triples later we tied it at 16-16 in the last inning,and should have won it then,but the blue called our winning run out at the plate for the third out,which almost got the coaches and half the team thrown out arguing the call...

They scored three runs in the top of the eighth,and we countered with three runs of our own...That's when I yelled out "first one up to 20,wins"...In our half of the ninth,bases loaded sac fly,I watched as our man on third left the base slightly early,and slid safely under the tag...Blue either missed it,or it was payback for the earlier call,but nonetheless,we won 20-19,and now we're tied with them for first place in the region....My boy got a few key hits and hit about a 400 foot bomb that veered fow-ull,as Jon Miller would say....

Ok,back to your regularly scheduled program....

but the blue called our winning run out at the plate for the third out,which almost got the coaches and half the team thrown out arguing the call...

...In our half of the ninth,bases loaded sac fly,I watched as our man on third left the base slightly early,and slid safely under the tag...Blue either missed it,or it was payback for the earlier call,but nonetheless,we won 20-19,and now we're tied with them for first place in the region....

Simon, I applaud you for an admission that an umpire might have missed a call in your favor, but there are a couple points I want to mention...

Most importantly, leaving a base too soon on a sac fly is an appeal play. Simply put, if the other team doesn't squawk, the runner wont be called out. Also, they have to squawk the right way; I will go into that upon request.

Secondly, payback is a dirty word to a good experienced umpire (of which I am one, of course). If we get a big argument on a play, and later there comes another close and ctritical call, we are faced with a choice if we have to stop and think whon we least want to anger...get accused of "payback", or get accused of favoring one team.

The solution is to keep our thinking to the play at hand and call it as we see it. There is no "payback". Over the long run, close calls will even out. But in the short run, if a runner is out by a whisker, I'm gonn call him out even if a runner right before from the same team was also out by a whisker.

As I say, if there was abig squawk over a close play, then on the next close play we are going to hear it from one side or the other. So, integrity or not, we may as well call it as we see it without regard to what happened on any play before.

Simon, I applaud you for an admission that an umpire might have missed a call in your favor, but there are a couple points I want to mention...

Most importantly, leaving a base too soon on a sac fly is an appeal play. Simply put, if the other team doesn't squawk, the runner wont be called out. Also, they have to squawk the right way; I will go into that upon request.

Secondly, payback is a dirty word to a good experienced umpire (of which I am one, of course). If we get a big argument on a play, and later there comes another close and ctritical call, we are faced with a choice if we have to stop and think whon we least want to anger...get accused of "payback", or get accused of favoring one team.

The solution is to keep our thinking to the play at hand and call it as we see it. There is no "payback". Over the long run, close calls will even out. But in the short run, if a runner is out by a whisker, I'm gonn call him out even if a runner right before from the same team was also out by a whisker.

As I say, if there was abig squawk over a close play, then on the next close play we are going to hear it from one side or the other. So, integrity or not, we may as well call it as we see it without regard to what happened on any play before.

Good points lifted...Wierd thing was,both close plays were potential game enders...And in fact,I brought up exactly what you did when the game ended---how does the other team appeal the play?...Their team stayed on the field as their manager argued with the blue,but the ump never told our guys to put another batter in the box...And our team didn't offer to because as far as we were concerned,the game was over...Shouldn't the ump have made us put a batter in the box,let them do their appeal properly(pitcher throw to third before the next pitch) then called the guy safe if that was how he saw it?...As it were,the other team was even denied an appeal....Doesn't sound right to me...How would you have handled it?

Good points lifted...Wierd thing was,both close plays were potential game enders...And in fact,I brought up exactly what you did when the game ended---how does the other team appeal the play?...Their team stayed on the field as their manager argued with the blue,but the ump never told our guys to put another batter in the box...And our team didn't offer to because as far as we were concerned,the game was over...Shouldn't the ump have made us put a batter in the box,let them do their appeal properly(pitcher throw to third before the next pitch) then called the guy safe if that was how he saw it?...As it were,the other team was even denied an appeal....Doesn't sound right to me...How would you have handled it?

If the other team stayed on the field, they did one part right. The game isnt over until the umpire walks of the field himself. An appeal in this situation is handled just like it is if the play wasn't game or inning ending. The other team needs to ask for the ball to be put in play; the pitcher gets the ball, steps off the mound, tosses the ball to third and the appeal is made that the runner left too soon. This can be done without having a batter in the box. Yes, the other team still has the right to appeal, but I cant be sure from your description if they blew it, or the umpire blew it, or maybe the umpire judged that the runner didnt leave too soon.

if there is a base umpire (s), the plate umpire will normally still make the call, since he would be the one in best position to see both the catch and the runner at third, unless a base umpire was at third base and had lined himself up to make the call. But normally, if a fly ball is hit to the outfield, the base umpire needs to go out in case there is a catch/nocatch question.

Depending on the level of the league, especially if we have the kids playing, we oftend bend or run a little lax on rule enforcement if it is for learning purposes. One of the most often used situations I can think of for this is the balk rule, when the kids progress to the age where they have t hold runners on (here it's not till age 12). the problem with your situation is you cant do the teaching in this case until the play is really over, or you give one team an advantage. Then again, I don't know if your umpires are as good as I am. :biglaugh:

If the other team stayed on the field, they did one part right. The game isnt over until the umpire walks of the field himself. An appeal in this situation is handled just like it is if the play wasn't game or inning ending. The other team needs to ask for the ball to be put in play; the pitcher gets the ball, steps off the mound, tosses the ball to third and the appeal is made that the runner left too soon. This can be done without having a batter in the box. Yes, the other team still has the right to appeal, but I cant be sure from your description if they blew it, or the umpire blew it, or maybe the umpire judged that the runner didnt leave too soon.

if there is a base umpire (s), the plate umpire will normally still make the call, since he would be the one in best position to see both the catch and the runner at third, unless a base umpire was at third base and had lined himself up to make the call. But normally, if a fly ball is hit to the outfield, the base umpire needs to go out in case there is a catch/nocatch question.

Depending on the level of the league, especially if we have the kids playing, we oftend bend or run a little lax on rule enforcement if it is for learning purposes. One of the most often used situations I can think of for this is the balk rule, when the kids progress to the age where they have t hold runners on (here it's not till age 12). the problem with your situation is you cant do the teaching in this case until the play is really over, or you give one team an advantage. Then again, I don't know if your umpires are as good as I am. :biglaugh:

I'm pretty sure the situation Simon described was a high school varsity baseball game... I believe his son is a HS senior.

I'm pretty sure the situation Simon described was a high school varsity baseball game... I believe his son is a HS senior.

You're right, Rocky. I didnt look sharply enough. I know I have several years on Simon, and I have kids down to high school freshman, but not everyone got as late a start as we did, heh heh.

Of course at that level, not much rules bending or laxing!

That plus at that level, the umpires should be pretty good. Coaches as well should know the rules.

Well, I went to Dodger Stadium last night. I entered the same gate I have for the last 10 years, but was immediately herded left instead of right as I always did. I was brought completely around to the back of the stadium, as far from my seat as possible. The attendants were clearly weary of complaints, as they just shut people down as they yelled at them. And there was a lot of yelling. I'm not sure Frank McCourt understands that people are entering the game in a foul mood, to say nothing of the people on CRUTCHES I passed who had to walk the extra football field to get to their seat.

With the Dodgers leading 9-1 in the 8th, I decided to not test how long it would take to get out so I left-along with the more than usual early departures. It's always been a joke how people leave Dodger games early-now it's almost imperative to leave unless you have an extra hour to spend in the parking lot.

I'm going again tomorrow. My brother and family are in from out of town, and have never been to a major league game. I'm going to hold my tongue, and hope for the best. It's also Jackie Robinson Day, which may mean even more crowds. I'm going early, and expecting to get home late.

Well, I went to Dodger Stadium last night. I entered the same gate I have for the last 10 years, but was immediately herded left instead of right as I always did. I was brought completely around to the back of the stadium, as far from my seat as possible. The attendants were clearly weary of complaints, as they just shut people down as they yelled at them. And there was a lot of yelling. I'm not sure Frank McCourt understands that people are entering the game in a foul mood, to say nothing of the people on CRUTCHES I passed who had to walk the extra football field to get to their seat.

With the Dodgers leading 9-1 in the 8th, I decided to not test how long it would take to get out so I left-along with the more than usual early departures. It's always been a joke how people leave Dodger games early-now it's almost imperative to leave unless you have an extra hour to spend in the parking lot.

I'm going again tomorrow. My brother and family are in from out of town, and have never been to a major league game. I'm going to hold my tongue, and hope for the best. It's also Jackie Robinson Day, which may mean even more crowds. I'm going early, and expecting to get home late.

Keep us posted! Has there been any print media coverage of this problem?

My friend who went to opening day at Dodger stadium said that an hour before the game there weren't any paper towels in the restroom. They ran out of Dodger Dogs and I believe draft beer as well (at least where he was)... took them hours and hours to get out... the parking folks who were directing traffic after the game just left people to fend for themselves... and I hear from his fiance that the editorial section is full of letters about it...

McCourt sounds like a world class imbecile.

Did too many people come to the park last year and he is trying to drive some away? or is he trying to get them po'ed enough so that they will resemble east coast fans?

:rolleyes:

Either way doesnt sound like much of a businessman.-I hope it gets better for you out there

Things are going good on this end, New Englanders are all wondering what the big fuss about JD was as he is off to a great start and folks are loving him. About the only strange thing so far is seeing all the Japanese advertising in the park..

No harm but so far its just a little too weird :biglaugh:

BDD_DDsign_bgl_flkr.jpg

my 'prediction' if you recall, is that JD would start off with a bang and slowly fade. Give it a season.

I also said that maybe Fenway is where he finally 'finds' himself, and if so, more power to him.

I'm gearing up for the game today. Only10 hours away, and I'm already planning and stressing over the parking. It's beautiful.