GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Listening to LiftedUp talk about the correct way for a team to make an appeal on a call reminded me of a story about Casey Stengel when he was managing the lovably inept 1962 NY Mets...

Seems that one of the long-on-zeal but short-on-style Mets batters drilled a line drive to the right-center field gap in a 1962 game...Nearly swallowing his chewing tobacco flying around the bases,the batsmen stood a-huggin' third,thinking he had legged out a stand-up triple...That is,until the other team properly exercised an appeal at second base,claiming the batter never touched it on his way to third...The second base umpire ruled "Out!",which prompted Casey to come charging out of the dugout to argue the call with the ump---until he was stopped by his own first base coach,who told Casey:"Don't bother,...he never touched first base either"....

Great story there Simon.

Hiway! I just realized a little while ago that the game you are at (NOW) is the Sunday Night Game of the Week on ESPN. It's also THE Jackie Robinson memorial celebration, or whatever they're calling it.

We should have asked where you expect to be sitting!

Anyway, the tribute to JR was very classy and very emotional.

Not that his was the only voice, but listening to Vin Scully during that tribute, I realized how much his (Vin's) voice is a tonic, or sort of like a medicine to my soul.

Ive heard that story Simon. I may be wrong but I think that it was Marvelous Marv Throneberry

....its really great to see everyone wearing number 42 today.... HERE are about 30 stories and 25 video links in honor of Robinson, the 1952 world series video was particularly fun

Tomorrow(if the weather clears up) we'll have the only morning game of the year --10:00 AM start, (thats 7AM for you west coasters).

Breakfast and baseball--I dont know if they'll be having bacon and eggs at Fenway or not--but they should

Edited by mstar1

Ive heard that story Simon. I may be wrong but I think that it was Marvelous Marv Throneberry

....its really great to see everyone wearing number 42 today.... HERE are about 30 stories and 25 video links in honor of Robinson, the 1952 world series video was particularly fun

Tomorrow(if the weather clears up) we'll have the only morning game of the year --10:00 AM start, (thats 7AM for you west coasters).

Breakfast and baseball--I dont know if they'll be having bacon and eggs at Fenway or not--but they should

Will that game be televised...nationally?

Im not sure---Its always a New England staple. Its a holiday-Patriots Day- here. Paul Reveres ride to Lexington and Concord and all that. The Boston Marathon is also today. the game starts early, so you can get out, walk a few blocks, and catch the end of the marathon.

Im not sure if its a national holiday or not--- is it a holiday out where yous guys is?

--- is it a holiday out where yous guys is?

I don't think so.... since income tax season is wrapping up, it's more like a day of mourning, however!

Tonight marks the return of Gonzo. Luis Gonzales, newly of the Dodgers, will patrol left field dressed in Blue instead of his former purple colors (or Dbacks' new color scheme, Sedona Red and Sonoran Sand). Apparently Gonzo's doing well for LA, and will probably be greeted warmly by the Arizona fans tonight.

Yea I was surprised to see Gonzo in Dodger Blue last night, as I missed it in the off season...

Its raining pretty good in Boston so I dont know if the game will get in, but its cool watching the pregame at 9AM with my morning coffee, although it is a little disorienting

The Jackie Robinson tribute was great. I was in the loge level a bit past first base, and would not have been found .lol

My favorite part was seeing Hank Aaron throw out the first pitch. The tv audience was most likely spared the 'Barry Sucks' chants while he did it.

A beautiful night, and I even got out of the parking lot in reasonable time.

The Jackie Robinson tribute was great. I was in the loge level a bit past first base, and would not have been found .lol

My favorite part was seeing Hank Aaron throw out the first pitch. The tv audience was most likely spared the 'Barry Sucks' chants while he did it.

A beautiful night, and I even got out of the parking lot in reasonable time.

Yeah... I too thought it was pretty cool with Aaron and Frank Robinson there... and no, I didn't hear the chants about Bonds.

Jon Miller and Joe Morgan had Rachel Robinson (Jackie's widow) in the broadcast booth with them for a few innings... as well as Hammerin Hank and Frank R (one at a time)... and maybe a couple more folks. I was busy and didn't see the entire game.

Yea I was surprised to see Gonzo in Dodger Blue last night, as I missed it in the off season...

Its raining pretty good in Boston so I dont know if the game will get in, but its cool watching the pregame at 9AM with my morning coffee, although it is a little disorienting

It must have stopped raining... as cbs.sportsline.com shows the game now being in the 5th inning... with the Sox enjoying a substantial lead. :blink:

they finally got the game going at the later hour of noon because of the rain.

Josh Becketts (starting pitcher) interview aftergame was priceless-he arrived at the park at 7:30 AM for the assumed 10AM start--Thats gotta be entirely disorienting

they finally got the game going at the later hour of noon because of the rain.

Josh Becketts (starting pitcher) interview aftergame was priceless-he arrived at the park at 7:30 AM for the assumed 10AM start--Thats gotta be entirely disorienting

Yeah, Beckett got the win...

How many people show up for that early of a game??????????

Box score at cbs.sportsline.com says attendance was 35,424. But do THAT many actually show up?

I know the Dbacks do (or at least they used to) count all season tickets as having attended, even if no one shows up for a given seat.

Box score at cbs.sportsline.com says attendance was 35,424. But do THAT many actually show up?

Heck yeah they do---I said a few pages back that the season is already completely sold out,

Yesterday was a cold,nasty, wet, rainy, sleety mess AND the game was delayed for two hours.

There were some empty seats when the gamae finally began at about 12:15 but it was full (with a very few exceptions) an inning or so in.

I swear the Sox could fill Fenway at 2AM in a blizzard and still have people outside freezing to death hoping to score tickets

Edited by mstar1

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

See what I mean Rock?

There is a religious element to Red Sox fans

If the Pope ever comes to Catholic Boston he better do it on an off day, or his attendance will be down!

Dice-K is looking good, fun to watch, 10K's through 6 last night had one rough inning when he couldnt get the ball over the plate that cost him 2 runs.

I expected there will be some adjustment, moving to an entire new culture and that there may be some time finding his comfort zone here but he looks like he will be ( well hell he already is..) one amazing pitcher.

I hope (fingers crossed) that he doesnt fall into being the one guy that never gets any run support which has been the case his last two outings. Pedro Martinez was that guy for a few years, for some reason there always seems to be one pitcher that always pitches well enough to win, but it is iffy wth the offense on his nights. I dont know why.

After scoring 25 runs in 3 games against the Angels the Sox scored 1 last night and Matsu lost 2-1, the start before that he pitched well but the Sox got 1 hit. He could easily be 3-0 instead of 1-2. But thats baseball,

He is still fun to watch and has great stuff, it looks like he has about 7 pitches, even without the mysterious gyroball which he has yet to unveil.

Ive never seen a gyro being thrown although the similar pizza pitch made its debut at Fenway the other day. the full analysis on the vid is by Jerry Remy and Don Orsillo.

(it turned out the guys were friends)

Edited by mstar1

Ive mellowed down a bit--maybe taking abit of your advice from the past few years--since finally winning in '04 the meaning of life struggle in every pitch has waned a bit, and now I can just enjoy the game a little more for what it is...

Sox fans are a breed apart though--on another board, a sox board, there is a THREAD asking if this is "The Most Crucial Two Weeks of The Season".

It has a point--BUT we are 11 games in and (hello) Its April!!

people take their baseball seriously up this way

Im calming---- a little

Ive mellowed down a bit--maybe taking abit of your advice from the past few years--since finally winning in '04 the meaning of life struggle in every pitch has waned a bit, and now I can just enjoy the game a little more for what it is...

Sox fans are a breed apart though--on another board, a sox board, there is a THREAD asking if this is "The Most Crucial Two Weeks of The Season".

It has a point--BUT we are 11 games in and (hello) Its April!!

people take their baseball seriously up this way

Im calming---- a little

Yes, Mstar... I do see what you mean about Red Sox fans...

Perhaps Schilling will belong in The Hall (of Fame) simply for the fact that he provided a large part of the team leadership that took the Sox over the top of "the curse"! Not that Schilling was a slacker before that... I mean, HEY... WS 2001 CO-MVP! ;)

Providing he doesnt do anything stupid (hello Johnny Damon..) he will at the very least be in the Boston Sports Hall of Fame. The bloody sock game is nothing short of legendary and that legend is bound to grow over time.

Whether or not he gets into Cooperstown is already the subject of debate around these parts. There are pitchers with better lifetime records than Schilling that arent in, but also players who were generally middle of the road (like say Bill Mazeroski...) who provided great memorable moments. Schills strength and legacy is that he wins the big one.

My vote? Put him in!!

If you havent seen it already, HERE is his personal weblog. I read it from time to time.

He has never been shy about speaking whatever is on his mind, some of the insights can be very interesting coming directly from a player and not filtered through the media

Providing he doesnt do anything stupid (hello Johnny Damon..) he will at the very least be in the Boston Sports Hall of Fame. The bloody sock game is nothing short of legendary and that legend is bound to grow over time.

Whether or not he gets into Cooperstown is already the subject of debate around these parts. There are pitchers with better lifetime records than Schilling that arent in, but also players who were generally middle of the road (like say Bill Mazeroski...) who provided great memorable moments. Schills strength and legacy is that he wins the big one.

My vote? Put him in!!

If you havent seen it already, HERE is his personal weblog. I read it from time to time.

He has never been shy about speaking whatever is on his mind, some of the insights can be very interesting coming directly from a player and not filtered through the media

Thanks for the link.... but GEE THANKS :blink: for reminding me... I find his political views disturbing.

I don't know anything about his politics, outside of hearing him being very pro-Bush, which is reason enough for me to want him to keep pitching. Beyond that, I'm sure he's a fine fellow.

Nomar is healthy, and doing fine. He hasn't needed to 'carry' the Dodgers so far, and is just playing and raising the twins.

Hopefully Curt will be leading the sox to an '08 WS victory just about the same time we choose a newand different President and we can finally leave the last 8 years in the past.

I go to another board www.sonsofsamhorn.com, which is mostly sox stuff, there is also a political forumthere similar to the GS one. Schilling is a member and although he is on the conservative side, he is not of the bullheaded, obnoxious, closeminded variety. Although I disagree with him, I do respect him and he is actually pretty open---If thats any consolation--

The senator comment up a few posts was half in jest anyway..

What was the reasoning to move Nomar to first anyway? I never was absolutely clear on that--was it the injury history?

Boston 4 Toronto 0 in the 7th

Wakefield (the knuckleballer) has given up 1 hit through 6