GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Do I remember this correctly? Did not Carlos Zambrano verbally "claim" the Cy Young for 2007 at the start of this season?

Well, it's now the top of the first at Wrigley, Zambrano's pitching, the NATIONALS -- before making even two outs in the game -- have 4 runs, three of which came on a 3 rbi HR. :rolleyes:

Well, there's always NEXT year, right!

Do I remember this correctly? Did not Carlos Zambrano verbally "claim" the Cy Young for 2007 at the start of this season?

Well, it's now the top of the first at Wrigley, Zambrano's pitching, the NATIONALS -- before making even two outs in the game -- have 4 runs, three of which came on a 3 rbi HR. :rolleyes:

Well, there's always NEXT year, right!

They play nine innings,Rock,and 162 games a year...You don't want to get too ahead of yourself...Anyway,Zambrano and the bullpen shut 'em down the rest of the way and the Cubs won 6-4...

Someone pre awarded the AL Cy Young to Dice K --he's having a few adjustment problems which I imagine will straighten out--he seems to have one bad inning every outing where he cant find the plate for one inning, walk about 4 guys --then finally settle in and be Ok...Its sorta strange but adjusting to a new culture of screaming maniacs may be alittle difficult for him as well

The Onion has an article on Manny this week

Manny Ramirez asks Red Sox If He Can Work From Home

:rolleyes:

Edited by mstar1

They play nine innings,Rock,and 162 games a year...You don't want to get too ahead of yourself...Anyway,Zambrano and the bullpen shut 'em down the rest of the way and the Cubs won 6-4...

I still doubt that if Zambrano gives up 4 runs in every 6-7 inning outing, he'll probably not be considered seriously for the Cy Young. But it was good that the Cubs won the game.

Roger Clemens, obviously troubled by the early playoff exits of the Rockets and Mavs, has decided being near home isn't all that important any more.

Im sure the $28 Million paycheck (/shakes head) had nothing to do with it but was just incidental...

good luck Rog--hope you go 3-12 the rest of the way

I think the money is ridiculous also, but so what ?

Where in baseball is the money NOT obscene when they have it to spend?

It's not Clemens fault that they're crazy enough to pay it.

Steinbrenner has been the poster boy for ridiculous spending for decades, but the Sox, Cubs, Mets, Dodgers are sure on his heels.

Unless there's a salary cap, which will never happen, just what IS the breaking point from what a player is 'worth' to he's getting 'too much'.

In most walks of life, the conventional wisdom is that if someone is willing to pay you, then you're worth it. It's the competing laundry in baseball that gets people's dander up. If the Sox decided to bring Roger home with the same deal, I'm sure the 'nation' would have welcomed him 'home'.

If the Sox decided to bring Roger home with the same deal, I'm sure the 'nation' would have welcomed him 'home'.

I suppose

..and it would have made a nice bookend to his career, but I dont know if it would have been a good move for The Red Sox, right now there are three potential number one starters (Beckett, Schilling, Matsuzaka) The fourth starter (Wakefield) is in the top 3 in ERA and number 5 Tavarez is pitching well and winning, add to that Jon Lester who pitched very good last year before being dignosed with cancer, who is rehabbing and ready to go. So where are you gonna put him? Upset something that already works well?

Of course it wouldve been nice to have him around but Rajah may have actually gotten in the way of Lester's development and been a number 4 or 5 starter.... No matter what kind of name someone has I cant see spending $28m on someone who is a 5-6 inning pitcher who might...might win about 10 games.

The RedSox are already sold out-so it wouldnt sell anymore seats, about the only thing it would definitely do is bloat the payroll yet more which could thwart them either later on this season or into next...It'll create buzz in the Bronx and shore up their pitching staff which has been hit hard, and which they need and give them a psychological factor, but I wouldnt pay it.

The Red Sox offered him $18m, which translates to about $10m, which to me seems enough, considering his age and that he travels if and when he wants to....there has to be some constraint

Like I said Good luck Rog...I still hope that you go 3-12 though

Edited by mstar1

I can assure you there are more important things in life I 'hope' for though.

Well me too, Im not all that shallow. Although I might come off that way, I know where baseball lies...

but being a New Englander its just part of my job description to hope he goes 3-12 :), Its sort of bred in and genetic... It's already generated some good natured ribbing and trash talking with my Yankee fan friends at the local diner, who definitely needed something to get excited about...and keep in the game...it keeps it interesting.

Are the Dodgers gonna re sign Drysdale next?

:wave:

well, if Drysdale wasn't DEAD they might.

Speaking of Don, he was becoming a first rate announcer for the Dodgers. He was a perfect counterpoint to Vin Scully, though they never shared the mike together. I admit that the vast majority of announcers leave me cold at best, but Drysdale was a welcome exception. His sudden death in the early 90's still resonates here.

oops sorry Hiway

I obviously wasnt aware of Dons passing...

I always like Don, his aggressiveness on the mound and the few times I do remember him sportscasting

my apologies..

In regards to Clemens, Ive been thinking that the 28mil they offered, is less than what they came up short on the posting and bid for Dice K----shrugs--Was it really worth losing a pitcher for 5 years to get one for 20 or so starts?

And at $4.5M/month or roughly about $1M/start. If Clemens throws 100 pitches per start the Yanks will be paying roughly $10,000 per pitch-which doesnt even include the luxury tax

Edited by mstar1

In other news...Josh Beckett is now 7-0, the kid always had a live arm and great stuff, but got hammered pretty good at times last year,mostly due to immaturity----- its interesting watching him mature and learn how to PITCH

So...um...er...whats happeing out there besides Bonds Watch and Clemens ,,which is getting way old---- have the stRangers clinched yet?

:)

do the Ranger fans have a name?

The Melting Texans maybe?

Sox swept the BlueJays over here

BDD_MW_sweep_5.10.07.jpg

I was surprised they beat Roy Halladay 8-0, who has been a certified Sox Killer, but the Jays seem to be in freefall right now

OMG mstar1, LOL :jump:

In other news...Josh Beckett is now 7-0, the kid always had a live arm and great stuff, but got hammered pretty good at times last year,mostly due to immaturity----- its interesting watching him mature and learn how to PITCH

I just hope he becomes like Schilling and not Clemens or Pedro. A real team player.

Edited by Bolshevik

just hope he becomes like Schilling and not Clemens or Pedro. A real team player.

Well weve been blessed over the years to watch some great pitchers and see at least a fairly good chunk of the arc of their careers with Clemens and then Pedro. Now a still young Beckett has tremendously matured and changed in the short time ( one year plus)he has been here. The elders, Schilling, who is a very similar type pitcher, and Varitek,who calls a great game and is as smart as anyone in baseball, can only have a good influence in helping him continue to develop and blossom.

He's much more fun to watch this year, because he is much smarter and learning how to PITCH as opposed to relying solely on his natural abilities.

If he is lucky enough to stay healthy ( knock wood)and continues to learn he could be one of the top guys of his era, and its not just because Im a Sox fan that I say that ---his stuff can be formidable....

Holy Camolie !

Did anyone else see that? Bolshevik?

Episdoe 12,391

WHY YOU NEVER EVER EVER EVER LEAVE A GAME EARLY

Sox down 5-0 with 1 out in the bottom of the ninth (and have done absolutely nothing all day)

erupt for 6.

win 6-5

HOOOOWAH!!

Thats exciting!

Thats baseball!

Happy Mothers Day!!

Edited by mstar1

Holy Camolie !

Did anyone else see that? Bolshevik?

Episdoe 12,391

WHY YOU NEVER EVER EVER EVER LEAVE A GAME EARLY

Sox down 5-0 with 1 out in the bottom of the ninth (and have done absolutely nothing all day)

erupt for 6.

win 6-5

HOOOOWAH!!

Thats exciting!

Thats baseball!

Happy Mothers Day!!

I was just gonna ask YOU!!!!

I "watch" most of my games via the computer (mlb.com). I saw the score in about the sixth or seventh, went back to my homework, came back later to look at the boxes. I rubbed my eyes three or four times with disbelief. What a game to miss.

ahem .. . .

LET'S GO RED SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!