GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Dbacks/Dodgers game wasn't decided until the bottom of the 9th tonight... Hiway29, did you stay for the whole game?

Penny pitched a good game... but so did Livan. I'd imagine you enjoyed the game...?

That was a good game. I'm not always into low scoring pitchers duels, but this one was full of incident and drama.I did stay for the whole game, but admit I was glad it didn't go extra innings, as I get up at friggin 5 am !!!

So what does the home crowd think of the Dbacks new uniforms ? I never liked the old ones, so I think red is an improvement, but the 'DBack' on the shirt looks too big or something. Funny how some teams treat their uniforms as untouchable, while others change the whole thing every few years.

That was a good game. I'm not always into low scoring pitchers duels, but this one was full of incident and drama.I did stay for the whole game, but admit I was glad it didn't go extra innings, as I get up at friggin 5 am !!!

So what does the home crowd think of the Dbacks new uniforms ? I never liked the old ones, so I think red is an improvement, but the 'DBack' on the shirt looks too big or something. Funny how some teams treat their uniforms as untouchable, while others change the whole thing every few years.

I can't speak for the "home crowd" exactly (since I won't attend a game until next wednesday, probably), but I like the new "threads."

I DID like the old colors (purple, teal, copper), but NOT each version of the jersey. I liked the black top with the "A" logo best... they have a similar one for Saturday home games now... and I like it.

In general, I do like the new colors and logos... they kept one logo, the capital "A" but changed the colors in it. The best part of the new jersey's IMO is the "db" on the left sleeve which is made to look like the head of a snake, with the tongue "flickering".

Anyway, I liked the Monday game better than last night, but gotta give the Dbacks' pitching staff credit for a good game last night anyway. Last week, the Dbacks were able to beat Peavy's Padres and Matt Cain's Giants teams after those two starters pretty much shut down the Dbacks' bats... but had to do it against those teams' bullpens. I just isn't going to happen like that every time.

Day game with no TV today... :(

btw, has the parking situation improved at all for Chavez Ravine?

The parking has mellowed out some, as people are learning how to adjust. In my case, in order to exit the Stadium from the gate I want, I have to take a completely different route to the park, but it's doable. I'll never like it though, as one of the joys of Chavez Ravine has always been the sprawling parking lot, with it's many views of LA, and access to different park features. Now you're confined to an army of parking attendants making you go where they want you to. I can't imagine the gas station surviving if they don't let you drive to it.

If I hadn't just started a new gig at work, I'd have preferred to go to today's day game. There aren't enough day games as is, and those mid week 'hooky' from work games are alot of fun.

I grew up in the Chicago area, so finding day games was never a problem. (When I visit Chicago, I absolutely refuse to go to a night game at Wrigley.) I don't know if it's been mentioned before on this thread, becuase I hardly ever pop in here; but Cubs fans were really spoiled. WGN televised almost every HOME game, along with a good number of away games. It wasn't until I went away to college that I found out how unusual that was.

I suppose I could try this in the Nostalgia Thread, but do you recognize these guys:

brickhouse_jack.jpg405383_VinceLloyd.JPGharrycaray.jpghamilton.jpg

George

Batting .750. The second is Vince Lloyd. All were Cubs announcers at one time. Milo felt he was heir apparent to Brickhouse, and when the Cubs spot went to Caray, Milo vamoosed to Houston, where he's been for a LONG time, now. Incidentally, he was the commencement speaker at my step-daughter's college graduation ceremony last month.

George

George,if you think you're so smart,tell me the name of the guy who's place Vince Lloyd took announcing Cub games on WGN radio....The guy was killed in a car crash on his way back to Chicago after a Cardinals series,I believe...And didn't Milo Hamilton do White Sox radio for a number of years on WMAQ?

I seem to remember an announcer named Lloyd Pettit, though nothing much came up in a quick google. Is that who you mean?

Also, Cubs and Sox announcers were pretty much interchangeable, back then. If the Cubs were away, and the Sox were at home, lots of times the home game would be televised. And the radio announcers would change places with the TV guys midway through the game.

George

Lloyd Pettit would relieve Jack Brickhouse on tv games,usually from like the fifth inning until the 7th inning stretch...He was an exciting hockey announcer for the Blackhawks on both radio and tv,but kinda dull with baseball...Jack Quinlan was the radio announcer that got killed in a car wreck back in '64 or '65...I think all Cubs and Sox games were on the radio in those days,but usually WGN only televised the Cubs and Sox home games,since they rarely played at home at the same time...There was a scheduling quirk where they both played at home at the same time,and WGN tried to flip back and forth and broadcast both games,but with the limited technology in those days,it didn't go over so well...Later on,around 1970,I think,WFLD(UHF channel 32) started broadcasting all of the Sox games,both home and away with the exception of a few west coast series,and WGN started doing the same with all of the Cubs games...

Ive been on the road for about 11 days so I have alot of catching up to do... I did have an interesting time driving through rural Mississippi--(which is about a light year and 10 dimensions away from Massachusetts)....Driving down some gravel road reminiscent of O Brother Where Art Thou, I saw a little tiny shack that said George Scotts BBQUE-I thought about the Sox firstbaseman George Scott of the 60's and 70's who was a favorite then as I whizzed past rememberd from his old baseball card that I had when I was ten that he was from ..Mississippi,

I spun around and sure enough The Boomer was in a little tiny shack serving ribs and pork sandwiches, He was more personable and funny than ever in his Mississippi dialect, and seemed very glad that someone who remembered him came to talk baseball. We sat and talked together for about 90 minutes-- he regaled me with some great great stories that I'll never forget.

He was always one of my favorites and the best fielding first baseman I have ever seen--It was a real treat and unexpected pleasure to run into him....

THE BOOMER

OT-GEORGE-SCOTT-thumb.jpg

That's an awesome story, mstar. George Scott was some player, and it's something that you 'stumbled' on that place, and even cooler that he was there and you got to talk with him like that.

I'd like to run into my favorite first baseman from childhood, but I doubt that Joe Pepitone is running a bbq place anywhere.

I had him autograph one of his menus, I got about 10 good photos on the digital, I even dialed a few numbers and had him talk to some friends who I knew would appreciate it---and were utterly taken by surprise----

He is an awesome good natured giant of a man, I recognized him right away--told him I was a Sox fan, always loved him and we were off----He still has a gigantic openness and passion for baseball (...I still dream about this play Reggie Smith made....I still cant believe it.....it makes me wake up at night....it was '65 in Pittsfield and Reggie knocked the ball about 4 feet foul behind the third---he played third then----- dove over then threw it shoe height all the way across the diamond, I still wonder how he did that,,, I never seen a throw like that since.... ----)

and the tales were mixed with a southern country charm that mades me wonder where reality and legend crossed

(....I saw Frank Howard hit a hangin slider off Lee Stange..that was the hardest hit ball I ever saw...it tipped off of Rico's glove at short slowing it down and it still hit the second deck at DC stadium---I still joke with Lee about that....

:biglaugh::eusa_clap:

This went on for an hour and a half or two hours

I was in my glory

Edited by mstar1

I had him autograph one of his menus, I got about 10 good photos on the digital, I even dialed a few numbers and had him talk to some friends who I knew would appreciate it---and were utterly taken by surprise----

He is an awesome good natured giant of a man, I recognized him right away--told him I was a Sox fan, always loved him and we were off----He still has a gigantic openness and passion for baseball (...I still dream about this play Reggie Smith made....I still cant believe it.....it makes me wake up at night....it was '65 in Pittsfield and Reggie knocked the ball about 4 feet foul behind the third---he played third then----- dove over then threw it shoe height all the way across the diamond, I still wonder how he did that,,, I never seen a throw like that since.... ----)

and the tales were mixed with a southern country charm that mades me wonder where reality and legend crossed

(....I saw Frank Howard hit a hangin slider off Lee Stange..that was the hardest hit ball I ever saw...it tipped off of Rico's glove at short slowing it down and it still hit the second deck at DC stadium---I still joke with Lee about that....

:biglaugh::eusa_clap:

This went on for an hour and a half or two hours

I was in my glory

How awesome! :eusa_clap: I'm happy for you and HIM...

I don't remember Mr. Scott... but do remember Pepitone... however, being from Rochester, NY, my favorites were some of the guys who I saw play for the Red Wings before they made it Baltimore... at first base, Boog Powell was THE man, as far as I was concerned... I also liked Mike Epstein, but am cloudy as to what he did in the majors...

The guy that was REALLY larger than life back then, for me, was Earl Weaver. Man oh man, the Rochester fans adored him (as did I)... he won a championship of the International League before going on to kick dirt on the shoes of umpires while managing the Orioles.

okay... Epstein was traded by Baltimore after only one (partial) season with them... which is why I didn't remember much about his big league career. I did find a web site where he's apparently teaching hitting... haven't checked it out yet, however.

My favorite 1B was probably Willie McCovey, but one I have interesting memories of was, I believe, "Moose" Skowron. He would do the splits taking almost every close throw from short or third. He was tall enough that that extra reach probably gave the Sox (the WHITE Sox, that is) an extra putout or two per game.

George

Great story and experience,mstar...I can't imagine too many of today's ballplayers retiring to go cook ribs in a rural barbeque shack...It sounds like ol' George is enjoying life...

It just occurred to me that Morgan Freeman, I think (obviously NOT a baseball star) goes back home to (somewhere in) Mississippi to cook in a restaurant he owns... it would be interesting, but different to run into him too...

Any Mets fans in here? The Mets have dominated the Dbacks for the last few seasons... and playing at the BoB tonight, it was a good, tight game until the 9th... when that Mets offense unloaded on the Dbacks closer... oh well.

Simon, did you see any of that game?

No,I was out and about,...not smoking in bars and restaurants,as per our new law that went into effect May 1st...

:eusa_clap:

My hat is off to you! (but NOT in the daytime sun... too much exposed scalp, ya know) ;)

It just occurred to me that Morgan Freeman, I think (obviously NOT a baseball star) goes back home to (somewhere in) Mississippi to cook in a restaurant he owns... it would be interesting, but different to run into him too...
I also went to his place last weekend, He owns the Ground Zero Blues Club in Clarksdale, MS, as well as a 5 star restaurant up the street. The Club is adjacent to the Delta Blues Museum. If you are any sort of Blues fan at all it is a real mecca that you should visit. It is "Ground Zero" for authentic real blues.

I went --Morgan wasnt there--but I did get to hang out at his place and a bunch of great juke joints, met some authentic blues characters, heard the legends and the stories, went to the crossroads (..to sell my soul... :wink2: ) and stayed in the hotel where Bessie Smith died and many of the famous bluesmen have stayed-----I swear you could heear the walls talking...

This is way off of baseball but Mississippi has an allure, mystique and mystery to it that is very enticing and captivating....

Great story and experience,mstar...I can't imagine too many of today's ballplayers retiring to go cook ribs in a rural barbeque shack...It sounds like ol' George is enjoying life...

It seemed so to me, Ive met a few old ballplayers who are just too busy to do anything but maybe say hi and then maybe sign something and be gone --or expect you to leave them alone. It was a real joy to be let in to the inside with someone so open for as long as I wanted-

-on the other hand, just a few weeks ago on opening day the sox honored the 67 Impossible Dream Sox and Boomer wasnt there even though he is beloved in Boston, I asked him why he didnt show and he said he couldnt afford to leave and shut his shack for the few days of festivities in Boston, which in a way was a little shocking to me--But it didnt seem to effect him as all was in stride---(Hey Bill....I talked to your man Yaz on the phone last night....

Edited by mstar1

That came to mind for me too ... those guys didn't get the millions then, and many probably had to keep working. Seems he found a way to stay "in the ballgame". Somehow the multi million dollar guys that charge for autographs seem much less human. They will probably have body guards to keep fans away when they retire. Ahhh, to wax nostalgic ...