GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

the only time I was ever in a town that the team was in the world series was in LA, 88?, in a bar watching on tv with the locals when Gibson hit his home run... it was an electric vibe before that and then it went through the roof...

I remember watching that on tv....He hit it off of the unhittable Dennis Eckersley,no less...That could have only happened in tinseltown...That was every Hollywood baseball movie ever made condensed into one at-bat....

Well,what can you say?....Congratulations to Jimmy Leyland and the Detroit Tigers...Deserving winners against one of the best lineups ever assembled....Why,I've even enjoyed the Tommy LaSorda commercials that tell us to get our asses out there and watch the playoffs---even if out team's out of it...

HuWah!!! That was exciting! Im happy for the whole city of Detroit, That team earned it !

I posted this a few days back when i was hangin out with a Yankee fan

Im holding out for the ALCS

I guess that wont happen.

I should know by now, that all the money and all the talent on paper dont mean squat, Its who wants it and who has the heart to push beyond-and the Tigers showed that in bucketfulls

Well Done!

I don't really get into all the Yankee bashing,but like one of the announcers said,rooting for the Yankees is sort of like rooting for the house at a blackjack table....While their legacy is great and unmatched,it just has become too much about money ball for them...Teams win championships,and often it's the #8 slotted weak-hitter in the lineup,or the obscure #5 starter that ends up being the hero in championships...I think people root against the Yankees for the same reasons they shop at the little ma and pa shoe stores or gas stations....We like to see the underdog have a chance...I think in sports,the greatest thing to witness is seeing a team make it to the top of the mountain...The second greatest thing to witness is seeing them get knocked off the mountaintop....

congrats to the Tigers.

in a playoff series, anything can happen.

i wish all these people rooting for ma and pop stores and gas stations would spend their money at a few of them, instead of living in a wal mart world.

I just got back from Dodger Stadium. I was amazed at the level of excitement for a playoff game vs regular season. Every pitch was life and death.I'm glad I was there for that.

I could have lived without the anger, frustration, and idiocy though. Around the 7th inning, fights were breaking out in the stands. Beer bottles were flying. I can't remember hearing the 'f' word so loud or often.This is mellow LA, not big bad NY.

Too bad it got a tarnished like that for you--There is nothing in my book quite like the electricity of playoff baseball-Its incredibly exhilirating.

I wonder if the next round will have Tommy LaSorda commercials where he looks in the mirror and exhorts himself to get over it and go to the TV...

The NYDaily News already has Torre getting fired and being replaced by Pinella-

I cant imagine that King George, who wore a 2006 World Champions coat to the first day of spring training this year, is too happy. A Billion dollar payroll over the last 6 years-might of bought something---sorry Geo.

The executioner is walking up to the gallows---heads should be rolling shortly

113-1008bigfront.jpg

Edited by mstar1

what do you expect from the NY rags?

canning Torre would be a HUGE mistake. Getting rid of Arod, Sheffield and a few other high price albatrosses seems a better plan to me.

last nights oafishness didn't tarnish it all that much. I had a great time, and am delighted to have experienced a playoff game.

ahhh skip it-I was going to comment on how bad I felt for the little kids that were there, sitting next to guys screaming F YOU all night, and why I think the Yankees are in 'damned if they do , damned if they don't' , situation, but I'm still tired.

what didn't help from the start was entering the park and paying 15 $ to park instead of the usual 11$

jacking up parking4 bucks-to the loyal customers-a very low blow.

it's all 'moneyball' for every team. no exceptions.

$15?

Count your blessings, my Yankee fan friend just spent $70 to park at Yankee Stadium for game 2 (Yea -thats not a misprint $70.00--up from the regular $48.00)

Now you know why I bitch about the prices of East Coast baseball.

Somebody has to pay ARod to bat under .100, Johnson to be a shell of himself, and Pavano to not even show up

I'll be expecting a shakeup in the Bronx--

Glad you had a good time though--everyone ought to go to a playoff game at least once in their life(hopefully more)

70 bucks to park ? I'm speechless

within a couple of years, the Dodger Stadium parking lot will be a memory anyway, what with McCourt's plans for condos, and a citiwalk type 'Dodgerville' planned.

there's also talk of building a football stadium adjacent of Dodger Stadium

I'm enjoying the serenity while I can

If Torre is fired this year,I doubt he would manage anywhere else...He's a New Yorker and I think anything he'd do after his stint with the Yankees would be somewhat anticlimactic...Remember Casey Stengel and the Mets?....Joe Girardi looks to be an up and coming star and I don't understand why Bob Brenley isn't managing somewhere...What ever happened to Davey Johnson?...He fell off the face of the earth after some good years in the 80's and 90's...Frank Robinson and Felipe Alou are also out....You have to think some of the more recent bottom-feeders,the Pirates,Royals Brewers etc. may be looking to do some major shake ups...

So Saint Lou is the underdog ... the over under is 9 ... what the hell does that mean?

OK, I looked it up, 9 runs total, you bet over or under that ... duh

but I still don't get the 175 ...

do you like red better than blue simon? :)

And the current line is 175? All I ever looked at was the spread.

Weaver against Glavine ... doesn't look good for the Cards, but you never know ... maybe they get to Glavine early.

Edited by rhino

Red's much better,Bill....I never bet on a game in my life...and I'm not even Pete Rose....I have no idea what they're talking about with odds,point spreads,over and under and so forth....I do remember a football coach,who when informed that the odds of his team winning the Super Bowl that year were 1000-1,said "Really?..Who's the one guy that thinks we can do it?"....

Weaver just might be one of those guys who decides to turn it on at playoff time...

Those Tigers are lookin good to me---I know these things can spin on a dime, but like strangeone said they really seem to be clickin on all cylinders right now. I was watching last night with a friend watching Zito set down the first 8 and as he said the words"I dont see how anyone can beat the A's" the Tigers immediately responded with 5 runs like clockwork. They are deserving, and it would be great for the city if they can hold it all together for the next few weeks.

-------------

Editted: for bad timing

Rest In Peace Cory Lidle

Edited by mstar1

Tragic is about all I can say....I wasn't too familiar with Lidle,but it's something you just hate to hear about...God rest his soul...

Ditto for me, too! Our local print media has reminded us here in the desert that Lidle was one of the original players taken by our hometown Diamondbacks in the expansion draft back in 1997. But he never played for the D'backs.