GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

F I N A L L Y ...I get to see some good pitching

The 12 year old from Columbus Georgia is throwing in the 80's from 46 feet! in the Little League tourney.

Dang-he looks better than anyone on the Sox staff.

2-0 Columbus over Dunedin, FL in the 4th in the regionals

Don't get me wrong... I love the 2-1 pitcher's duel probably more than others but...

...tonight we have another relaxing game to watch: 12-1 in the bottom of the third.

DeRosa had 29 RBI at the break, he's had 30 since...

I'm sure the BoSox miss Veritek... and I'm sure the players don't undervalue him... can Mirabelli not catch more games? Jave was never known for his defense that much...

I think it was Kyle Carter--, he had about 15 K's through 6 and also got 4 (more or less ) intentional walks as Columbus Georgia won the regional game....I just hope that its not another Danny Almonte type fiasco.

This has to be the quote of the day from Ryan Freel on the catch he made

Dayton Daily News

Ryan Freel said not even Farney believed that Freel made the stupendous diving catch on Albert Pujols Tuesday.

Farney? Who's Farney?

"He's a little guy who lives in my head who talks to me and I talk to him," said Freel, acting as if he finally crashed into too many walls, ran into too many catchers and dived into too many dugouts.

"That little midget in my head said, 'That was a great catch, Ryan,' I said, 'Hey, Farney, I don't know if that was you who really caught that ball, but that was pretty good if it was.' Everybody thinks I talk to myself, so I tell 'em I'm talking to Farney.' "

Brilliant

I wonder if he knows Miss Jonassis

Oh well... top of the 4th, game tied 3-3. Padilla sails one in high and very tight to Vlad. Umpire warns both benches. (remember, it was against the Angels that Eaton got tossed early in the game)... Padilla gets Vlad to 1-2, Vlad hits a big fly scoring 3.

Next up Rivera. Padilla nails him in the left butt cheek. No question about the intent of that pitch. Goodnight Vincente, goodnight Buck.

Josh Rupe now pitching.

Basebrawl anyone?
Gees I go away for a few days to NYC for a minivacay, stay away from the TV, and half the western division is suspended.

What the hell happened?

How about a synopsis from The Strange Report

are the '06 Rangers-Angels becoming the updated version of the 03-04 RedSox-Yankees?

Dodgers are really in a zone to say the least

I read today its there best streak in 107 years--

107years?

I hope your watchin this one Hiway

Not too much to tell... we hit them, we hit them again, we hit them again, they hit us, they hit us, we hit them and Adam Kennedy runs out to get punched in the armpit.

I think where it went over the edge was Padilla. Buck was plenty p.o.'d at him. Now they're saying 'wait till you get out to L.A.'...

Eaton still swears that his was not intentional (the game hiway was at I think)... all the rest were...

maybe hiway has a take on it if he can pull himself out of the Dodger's dugout where he's dreaming of an "All L.A." World Series...

From 'the Newberg Report':

The Dallas Morning News reports that MLB has suspended Buck Showalter for four games, Vicente Padilla for five games (in other words, one start), and Scott Feldman for six games in connection with their actions in the two-game Angels series.

The Angels received the following league suspensions:

Manager Mike Scioscia: three games (starting tonight)

Bench coach Ron Roenicke: one game (Sunday)

Reliever Kevin Gregg: four games (starting tonight, unless appealed)

Reliever Brendan Donnelly: four games (starting Tuesday, unless appealed)

Second baseman Adam Kennedy: four games (starting tonight, unless appealed)

Pitcher John Lackey and outfielder Frosty Rivera received undisclosed fines.

Unless appealed, Padilla's suspension begins tonight and Feldman's begins Tuesday. Showalter's begins tonight as well.

maybe hiway has a take on it if he can pull himself out of the Dodger's dugout where he's dreaming of an "All L.A." World Series...

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

good image ----that one sent me off my chair!

California dreamin..............

...I hope nobody gets hurt in all that stuff---once they start my experience is that they can go on for a few years, The Sox-Yanks are famous for going through volatile spurts of a few years at a time and then calming down for a bunch of yearsthen starting all over again maybe 5 or 10 years later, right now it seems to be calming-of course we are playing 5 this weekend and they are basically neck and neck so anything could happen....

and the Drays and Sox had a thing for a few years during the Lou Pinella years for some reason that seems to have waned away

Edited by mstar1

I didn't see the fight or what led up to it , so I don't have an opinion, except that that's alot of players being suspended in the middle of the pennant race. Eaton being thrown out of one game was one thing, but multiple games for multiple players is another. Maybe it was justified-like I said, I didn't see it.

I got real sick of the Yankees-Sox brawls, with the Pedro-Zimmer incident turning me off to the great rival.

I can't imagine 5 game (5 GAMES !) this weekend without incident. Do these guys play each other every week? Sure seems like it. I'd swear the Dodgers don't play the Giants half as often.

An all LA series has me laughing as much as mstar, tho I'm starting to believe the Dodgers pitching can carry them through the national league where no team is very scary.

I can't imagine 5 game (5 GAMES !) this weekend without incident. Do these guys play each other every week?

Seems that way but they havent played each other in quite while (early June I think) There were a couple of rainouts back then----so 5 this weekend, and 4 more again in a few weeks. Its gonna be competitive and hot and something may happen, but it has toned down a lot over the last few years -even though the media likes to keep it built up----The 03-04 stuff had a long slow buildup of all sorts of minor incidents and exchanges in the media over 4 or 5 years before it all finally exploded full force--

That part seems to be dying down--the last incident that I remember was when a fan reached over the wall and spilled a beer on Sheffield-The Red Sox immediately took away his season tickets ---that was a year and a half ago--now its like watching nuns play canasta--....... well not quite..but almost

Generally I think that they have resumed for the most part to having a great amount of respect for each other and both teams working their own game to win-------But we'll see---i could be totally wrong-------..in baseball ya dont know nuthin'

Edited by mstar1