GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

9 Walkoff Hr's ,

17 walkoff hits in 3 years

This simply does not happen in baseball. Ortiz has turned major league baseball into Wiffle ball games you'd play with makeshift rules regarding rooftops, clotheslines, and summer winds. Big Papi is an action superhero come to life. He is a cartoon figure who jumps off the screen and gets it done in real life in real time. He is the mythical Joe Hardy with no apparent time limit on his powers." -- 8.1.06, Dan Shaughnessy, Boston Globe
These are sweet years worth savoring.

I never saw Ruth-Gehrig (obviously)but these two are the most formidable RBI duo that I have ever seen.

The statheads around here are doing comparisons to the Ted Williams-Jimmy Foxx years and Papi and Manny are coming out on top.

how long before they start walking him to get to Manny?
:biglaugh:

They do every once in awhile, which really isnt any better for them..Manny is an RBI machine.....before Ortiz got here I saw Manny get walked a few times with the bases loaded as well as with the bases empty (in a tie game!) just not to have to pitch to him----He also is that good.

They are just so matter of fact about it, it makes me forget all the years of torture and inept lineups that I suffered through

Edited by mstar1

I Just love watching them hit. Some guys (Yastrzemski comes to mind) are all stress and strain in the box--Manny and Papi look as relaxed as if they just got out of bed---its allnatural to them....I feel very fortunate to see them everyday..............

There has been a move to get Rice in the Hall, petitions, letters , all that sort of stuff and he should be, He was one of the most feared hitters of his time. There are alot of names out that should be in- I still cant believe that Ron Santo isnt in either

Edited by mstar1

Heres a postscript to my gushing about Ortiz, that a stathead forwarded to me.

He DOES do it all the time,

these are the stats for when he has come up in walkoff situations since the end of 2004

2004 PostSeason: 3-for-5, 2 HR, 5 RBI, BB

2005: 3-for-3, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 2 BB

2006: 5-for-6, 3 HR, 10 RBI, 2 BB

Since the end of the 2004 regular season, Ortiz has come to the plate in a walk-off situations 19 times -- and reached base 16 times. He is 11-for-14 (.786), with 7 HR and 20 RBI.

In 2005 and 2006, he is 8-for-9, with 5 HR and 15 RBI

mercy

HERE'S an Ortiz thread from my other board of Red Sox cultists

If they to pitch to Manny, he just may make an assault on Hack Wilson, He had 165 RBI in 147 games one year, and also loves to hit in the clutch. Its the two of them that work together

Ortiz is in the same league with the years of watching Larry Bird, Bobby Orr, Tom Brady and Bill Russell. Years from now, people will hear what he did, find it hard to believe, and think that it is some embellished legend, but it is really happening. I am awed to be able to see this over a period of time.

I hope nobody has a stick up their butt about the DH when they vote for MVP.

..... .... ..... .... ... .. ..... ...... ....... ....... ..... ........ ... ...... ..... .. . ... .. .. ...

The bad news is Varitek, the anchor of everything, is out 4-6 weeks and the pitching has been pretty bad so this isnt going to be easy the rest of the way

yeah, that's terrible about Veritek...

hmmm... let Theo know that Rod Barajas can be had... and he'll serve you well...

(if he needs a reference I'm sure Gabe can vouch for him)

...now about that pitching we'd like...

Of course, I guess now they'd both have to clear waivers wouldn't they?

And there's no way Barajas is clearing, and probably not any pitcher we would want either...

Waivers still confuse me after all these years, I think that there are enough loopholes to pretty much get someone where they want to be if they work at it, at least it seems to happen....

I'd like to get one of those "Waivers for the compleat idiot" books.

Another day, another come from behind walkoff win in the bottom of the ninth(Loretta this time). I'd sort of prefer middle relief holds, but this run is pretty cool

After the trade deadline, if two teams want to trade players, the players must 'clear waivers'. Waivers (if I understand correctly) means that all the other teams (in reverse order of standings) get a chance to claim the player that has been waived. If a player is claimed then either the waiving team pulls the player back (cancelling the trade/waiver) or the original team that waived and the team that claimed the player work out a new deal.

I found this on Wikipedia under Major League Baseball Transactions:

Waivers

Any player under contract may be placed on waivers at any time. If a player is waived, any team may claim him. If more than one team claims a player from waivers, the team with the lowest record in the player's league gets preference. If no team in the player's league claims him, the claiming team with the lowest record in the other league gets preference. The previous year's standings are used during the first month of a season to determine preference.

If a team claims a player off waivers and has the viable claim as described above, his first team may choose one of the following:

1) arrange a trade with the new team for that player within two business days of the claim; or

2) rescind the request and keep the player on their major league roster, effectively canceling the waiver; or

3) do nothing and allow the claiming team to assume the player's existing contract, pay a waiver fee to the first team, and place him on their active major league roster

If a player is claimed and the option to rescind is used, this option to rescind a waiver may not be used again for that player in that season. If no team claims a player from waivers in three business days, the player has cleared waivers and may be assigned to a minor league team, traded, or released outright.

The waiver "wire" is a secret within the personnel of the Major League Baseball clubs; no announcement of a waiver is made until a transaction actually occurs. Many players are often quietly waived during the August "waiver-required" trading period to gauge trade interest in a particular player. Usually, when the player is claimed, the waiving team will rescind the waiver to avoid losing the player unless a trade can be worked out with the claiming team.

Prior to the trade deadline in a season Teams can freely trade back and forth without waivers. After the trade deadline a player must clear waivers prior to the consumation of the trade.

Ouch 4 in the 8th? I checked the box and see that your guys finally won in the 12th,which is good but I hate getting a good start and having the middle guys collapse.

Thanks for the education on waivers---Theo must have read them yesterday--He picked up Javy Lopez form the O's to replace Varitek. Since we need a lefty in the pen and already have a Javier Lopez in AAA. I could be looking forward to a Javier Lopez-Javier Lopez battery.

Aside from the excitement of 3 walkoffs in 5 days the Sox have been flat -way too flat (3-4 homestand that couldve been 0-7), Varitek, Wakefield, Nixon all joined the DL with Clement and Foulke(Thats about $30Million worth of players) Lowell who has been a gold glover at third might be going too, hes hobbling around like an old man after fouling balls off his instep on 3 consecutive games. Francona has been patching together a pitching staff and even the reliable Schilling and Beckett have had bad outings.

They have about a week and a half to get their sh!t together as the years real make or break part of the schedule is coming up then.

Meanwhile the Yankees have been hot and moved into first

Edited by mstar1

DeRosa got his first carerr GS tonight and chased Lackey... Padilla seems to be back to good form (into the 7th, 2runs)... but freaking Vlad Guerero owns us... he's hit safely in every game he's ever faced the stRangers... Garrett Anderson is right behind him but I guess you'd know that...

oops, I've got to quit doing this... as I've typed they've got men on 2 & 3 with no out...

I hear ya about injuries... it seems every day I look up and see something about the BoSox...

hiway! where are you? at Chavez Ravine I hope...

Simon! have you and Rocky been to the BOB lately?

cool... I remember you saying something about that... wish I could be there with you... which inning will you be waving from behind home plate? what will you be wearing?

are you in the field level boxes? I was in one of those at the old S.D. ballpark (Jack Murphy?)... it was a neat atmosphere and you see the players very closely, but not too good of a perspective...

Im not sure if Ill be in camera view.I'm not directly behind home plate. I'm on the first base side of home, about 10 rows in. The usual shot behind the pitcher doesn't pick up too many fans, as the backstop has a high wooden wall. Best bet would be on angles when a left handed batter is up.

They're pushing everyone to wear red this week, but my shirt will be a darker red. Plus my Angel cap is black, which will stand out from all the red ones.

Chances of seeing me are about as good as catching a foul ball, meaning slim to none-still, ya never know.

I used to go to Jack Murphy al the time when i lived in San Diego. I rarely came down from the rafters tho, as i was living on a prayer then. I used to get a cheap seat and be happy.

It was a good stadium until they closed off right field and made it a bowl. With the concrete closed in, it looked and felt like a prison yard. The new stadium looks great, haven't gotten down there yet.

Oh, and yes it's a field level box. I agree about the perspective. At Dodger Stadium , I prefer the loge level, third base side, to anywhere in the park, especially 'great' field level seats.

I just checked my ticket, Tom, and I am just about behind home plate on the first base side in row L which must be 10 -15 rows up. If they lift the camera I MIGHT be there.

I am surprised that it's in the super duper spoiled section, where waiters attend to your seat offering anything from hot dogs, to roast beef, to foo foo drinks. That's not really my style, but I guess I'll go with the program.

These are 'corporate' seats from work that I was able to get, so I knew they'd be good, but I'm really happiest kicking back with a dog and a coke up in the loge. I'll make do somehow tho, haha.

Looking for you... still haven't seen you... sheesh... we made it past Weaver and Lackey and it figures we'd go to sleep on this one... of course, Koronka (or however he spells it) has been a little iffy his last couple of starts... and now Benoit has just given up 2 more... watch those come back to bite us... but doesn't look like it'll make any difference...

We like to (erroneously most of the time) think so, but I think we are more the center of the money that pushes the media and are just generally louder and more obnoxious with our demands than other parts of the country

Like a lot of the media I think they go with the easy and sure paycheck instead of the story that really is shouting to be told. They'll catch on after everybody gets it anyway.

It is an amazing story, didnt they only win about 70 all last year?

Edited by mstar1