GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Hell I don't know, its all over the papers here and has been blown way out of proportion due to the hot stove goin a little cold, dang people need something to complain about. Menkiewiez has had it for months and no one even bothered to ask him about it, until a goofball sportswriter (Shaugnessy) made him sound bad. He said he is willing to loan it out to the sports museums in Red Sox land and the Hall, I can't really fault him for wanting to keep ownership of it...on the other hand it is like the holy grail or the shroud of Turin it would be a grand thing if he donated it....I just hope it doesn't progress into something ugly.....

PS-How did you learn to spell so well, Ive taken to calling him Eyechart, and...how are those Cubs shaping up?

Edited by mstar1

Actually,on Eyechart's name I had the newspaper in front of me when I was posting...I think there's too many angles to look at to decide who really owns the ball...But sportswriter's do like to start some sh!t and then step back and say "fight'em,buddy,I'll hold your jacket"....

As far as the Cubs,I'm usually a morning newspaper reader,and the Az. republic will say nothing about the other teams besides the D-backs until spring workouts start,so I'm a little in the dark...Workouts start before Spring Training games and are worth my son and I playing hookie a few times for and just hanging around and watching...Last year the Cubs had a few old hired hands helping out,Billy Williams,Fergie Jenkins,Ryne Sandberg....And just standing ten feet away from them while they're talking to the younger players about technique,strategy,or clowning around,when you know you should be working or in school,...it's like being in heaven,or maybe Iowa....

icon_smile.gif:)-->

too cool!

maybe God did hear your prayers a very long time ago...

...Theyv'e been showing reruns of the 1975-RedSox-Reds Worlds Series around here and boy is it refreshing. Its amazing to me how small, everybody looks,even Bench looks small by todays standards, none of that body armor anywhere (only a few batting gloves) pitchers going nine and each game much closer than my memory had remembered them to be.

None of those infernal graphics all over the screens, no advertisements all over the ballpark or commercials every 15 seconds either, just Curt Gowdy, Tony Kubek and two great teams. Its interesting rewinding the clock 29 years. The Sox could be up 3-0 easily enough but are down 2-1

Game 4 (Luis Tiant vs Don Gullett) tomorrow. Its a good way to spend a cold winters night

Sounds like fun...I don't remember the name of the movie,but one of my favorite dialog's in it was a part where Robin Williams was an analyst and Matthew Damian was some kind of genius and his patient...Williams was excitedly telling Damian about how he was at Game 6 of the '75 World Series,and Damian says "Wow,so you saw Pudge's homer?",and Williams just replied something like,"No,I was too mesmerized by the blue-eyed girl at the beer garden,and I missed it"...But he did end up marrying her....

I liked when Gowdy and Kubek did games...I think in those days the cather just wore a regular cap backwards and a small mask,and the ump had to hold up his own chest protector...and I think they wore ties....

Yup they have the ties and the Red suit jackets (this year), the game is alot simpler -no pitch counts, no clocking of pitches, no endless replays, hardly any shots in the stands, only about 3 cameras. The announcers have to fill up the air time with substance(!) instead of endless special effects. Its great to hear Gowdy again (I had forgotten how enjoyable he was..)and in what is a brilliant stroke that should be reintroduced, they have the the teams announcers join the NBC crew....it makes baseball look like---well--baseball.

I've seen the Fisk homerun replay about 1,326,645 times over the years(the movie was Good Will Hunting btw)but the the series itself was equally exciting with 4 games being decided in the ninth or extra innings.

The Big Red Machine is formidable (Rose, Morgan, Bench, Perez at the top of the lineup). Fred Lynn for the Sox looks like a young Joe Dimaggio.

I'm still po'ed at Larry Barnett for blowing an interference call in the 10th inning of game 3 which cost the Red Sox the game...but we got the interference call this year against ARod so even though I had to wait 29 years things do eventually balance out....

Mark your calendar

June 10-12 Red Sox @ Cubs

and o yea-thought you might like to see

this little gem

Edited by mstar1

Good ol' Orville Overall pitches a three-hit shutout...God,in those days,you talk about weak hitting....Seemed like every pitcher had an ERA under 3.00....'Course,they didn't have the long ball to drive in runs in bunches...It was probably more like Highschool freshman baseball is today as far as hitting goes....Few freshman can hit a ball 350 feet on a consistant basis so you have to try and bunch your hits together to score runs,or steal a lot more...

High school freshmen is about right. I clicked on Johnny Evers...the immortal Johnny Evers he is listed at 5'9" 125lbs. I know 13 year olds that big and he is one of the best known players of that era.

Things were different -Tinker tried to go from first to third on a groundball to short in the ninth-he was cutdown but havent seen that in awhile.

Other intriguing things:

Time 1:25

(I guess they didnt take too many pitches)

Attendance: 6210

(the last game of a World Series?? Of the 10's of millions (maybe Hundreds) of people who've seen the Cubs since, its sort of strange that little over 6000 were there the last time they won it all.)

• 2 weeks later...

I like Delgado, I wouldn't mind having him here at Fenway either. For your sake if you end up with him I hope he is RaffiII and not ARod Jr.

...best thing the Rangers ever did was to dump him ..and I'm glad he didn't end up here.

and you have to feel forthis guy, a lifelong RedSox fan who went into a coma when the playoffs started and missed the World Series.

Edited by mstar1

Dang! poor guy...

...well, the stRangers were just out to get some free publicity I guess... they pulled the deal from Delgado because (they say) they only want him to DH... sheesh! Texiera has always said that he'll play anywhere, he doesn't care, Delgado's not that much of a liability at 1st, besides, it's not like they don't put up with fielding inferiority for bat strength (see Soriano, Alfonso)... they could've worked out a little rotation between Tex, Delgado, Mench, etc... they're just strokin' us again... and they say it's out of loyalty to Tex... he's a great guy, but it's not like he'll be around after his contract is up (his agent is the 'baseball anti-christ' (Boras))...

Thats too bad, Delgado would seem like a good fit down there, and probably tighten up that division just that much more.

Its hard to know exactly what agents/GM's are thinking when they offer deals, renegotiate, pull back, offer again etc. Its like watching poker sometimes in the offseason....a whole different game behind the game.

Delgado is one of those 'intangibles' guys that brings alot to a team even though he isnt that great of a fielder. Aside from hitting for average and power, in my memory He always seems to go deep in the count and have 10 pitch at bats, which these days wears pitchers down...like I said I'd love to have him in Boston...but the rumors seem to favor the Mets(how much money are they spending this offseason??) or Orioles now....

Welcome back Simon--

I think the tough part is some fanatical Sox fans, who must do everything the same during a winning streak may demand he goes into another coma come playoff time next year to ensure another win... icon_wink.gif;)-->

....Mienkiwicz and THE BALL just got traded for Ian Bladergroen...

Who?

ONLY 3 Months? If I have 3 days in a row over 90 I'm melting. But if the Rangers want to sign a 49 year old reliever with a fastball that probably approachs a blistering 60MPH plus has a bad shoulder I'll be right down.

That ball would be really flying over that right field porch then...

...I'm watching the 86 World Series on a local station as I post...the Buckner game (reliving the agony). Clemens is pitching a whale of a game . He's 24 and looks like a kid

----I saw an interview with him a few years ago, he's your basic overly paunchy middle aged guy now with a few memories he'd rather forget--

a farmer somewhere I think...He took it hard...

I was on a class crew in Tampa when that game was on. It was session 12, I was sneaking between the class and a small TV downstairs and sat stunned and in unbelief (heard enough but refused to believe)...well...for 18 years.

Finally they've all been redeemed by the blood of Curt Schilling

Schiraldi Now

schiraldi.jpg