GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Raf,

I agree...I"ve always believed you could "buy" your way into being a division winner,but it takes that extra spark or chutzpah or mojo or moxie or whatever it is that we can't define into being a champion...It would be difficult for David to slay Goliath in a 162 game schedule....But in a five or seven game series,anything can happen...

Well Simon --the hype about the rivalry isnt really well done on the national stage, it probably doesnt mean much to people from Peoria or Duluth or Pheonix but on the inside and those of us who have lived with it for our lifetime and generations, it really does produce an electric atmosphere that is hard to describe to an outsider. If you can cmon up to a game next year and we'll go to Fenway....

McCarver (yechhhh) and Fox as well as ESPN try to play it up but really havent got a clue whats its like on the inside.

Its more than just baseball, its a battle of ideologies, its outlook, its a clash of histories its....Its the pinstriped crewcutted professionals against the freespirited ragtag eccentrics that know how to play together as a team, probably the most difficult thing in sports.

Ok I'll stop ---for now---and mail you a bucket of pain pills.

Its interesting to me that somehow the Teams around here (The Patriots and Red Sox) have somehow found that elusive team quality that we were talking about a page or two back -it really is something to watch, where ego's take a back seat and players actually at their best play as a unit...and to illustrate what the Sox mean to this region even though the Pats won their 19th in a row this week the sports pages have been 90% Red Sox news.....

EX- Id love nothing better than to watch and talk (will 8:00 Oclock ever come???), but it looks like at least for tonight I'll be watching at my girlfriends daughters house who is nine months pregnant and ready to pop--She is a great Sox fan---I could be doing double duty tonight as baby deliverer icon_wink.gif;)-->

She has a little Manny Ramirez uniform ready for him when he is born icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

ER? What ER ? If he comes during a rally that boys being born at home! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

As far as the name-her husband is El Salvadorean and according to the custom in his country the first male is to be named after the husbands grandfathers, so no bit of wrangling or female persuasion was able to get through that so he is officially Saul Oscar, but everyone already knows him as Manny....

Btw,..some mentioning was done here regarding the MVP awards...The voting for MVP is done right after the season and before the post-season...So the player's performance in the regular season is the only basis for evaluating consideration for the award...The same goes for the Cy Young awards and Manager's of the Year...Even if their performances go down the toilet in the post-season,it does not affect the special award voting...

Yea well I did a little campaigning..

So who'd you vote for?

I would like to see the award reflect who is actually the most valuable and not the most outstanding player...

I'd still vote for Ramirez who carried the RedSox during the months of many injuries and was consistant through the whole year,greatly improved in the field and a strong if odd clubhouse presence that set an attitude that they carry. Admittedly I didnt see that much of Guerrero who is amazing and Ramirez' votes will probably split with Ortiz. I'm not really a Sheffield guy-I saw him 19 times in the regular season and not alot stands out above the rest, I'd vote for Matsui ahead of Sheffield myself...

I'm not as familiar with the NL where Bonds has got to be the most outstanding but that wouldnt stop me from weighing in on the other qualities, achievements and contributions of guys like Pujols, its hard from a distance to actually tell who is most valuable.

I don't know who I would have picked this year but I"m thinking along the same lines as you are...I wouldn'd mind even if they changed the name of the MVP award to something that would encompass the player's total contribution to his team...Maybe I just admire the complete ballplayer more than the guy who just has all the stats but can't field worth a $hit...

Go Cards! Ayyy Mstar. We got ourselves a date, huh? Cards/Sox.

Interestingly, the last 7 times the Cards were in the WS it went 7 games and the last 4 times the Sox were in ditto 7 games.

Congratulations on overcoming a 0-3 hole. Dennys must've been open....Damon got a grand slam! And we beat the rocket! This is going to be GOOD!

Yea this should be fun for two great teams, Ive been impressed all year with the Cards albeit from a distance, and Im glad to see we are getting the best, both these teams are deep. A replay of 67, which was the year that captured me.

I guess we'll be seeing if your guys can hit a knuckleball tomorrow night. (I wanna see how scooter explains that one.)Its gonna be cold cold here tomorrow night so I hope that it doesnt effect anything too much.

Thanks to Roger Clemens for having a bad all-star game and giving us the homefield-it may come down to that.

• 3 weeks later...

How many days until spring training??

Im missing having no baseball to watch and my girlfriend is starting to look at me funny when I ask her who's pitchin' or try to talk free agents with her.

Should be a good and interesting off season,(just waaaaay too long) with all the free agents on the market although I dont like to see any of my guys go..It will be interesting to see where they all land and if any of the teams are recognizable next year

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah...Road trip!....

I think the Cubs may really be in disarray around then....Steve Stone and Chip Caray are gone....Moises Alou will be gone....And crybaby Sammy Sosa left the team early on the final game,evidently because his feelings were hurt because he was moved down in the batting order...He should have been the first in line to ask to be benched,or moved down in the order so he could help his team,when he was slumping instead of resting on his laurels...I'm not so sure Dusty is up to the task of pulling that team together....

BTW,Fred Hale Sr.,lifelong Bosox fan who wanted to see them win one more chamionship before he died,no longer is the world's oldest living man...He died peacefully in his sleep Friday at the age of 113....God rest his soul....

Well Bless Fred, there are alot of people that can sleep peacably now, and go to their final rest without that curse crap hangin' over their heads....It still feels good I tell you.

I think (or hope) that the days of the self centered superstars, like Sosa, are drawing to a close. After watching what the Red Sox and Patriots management have done, successfully putting the idea of a team above individuals, I would think that other teams and organizations would catch on-and not hang onto someone simply because they are an icon -but people who are contributors on many levels to the team---lets hope so---Its good for the game...

It's along way 'til June -anything can happen-don't write em off yet.

...I'm markin my calendar, if it looks good I'll make the trip....

I just checked the Cubs website and tickets don't go on sale until January--damn I'm ready to go to a game--today---

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -- Hall of Famer Rogers Hornsby

It(Steroids scandal) needs to be dealt with like the Black Sox scandal and put behind baseball....Baseball should test it's players...period...And tell the players union to stick it where the sun don't shine...I think of a guy like Mark Grace,who was quoted a lot in today's paper about steroids...He never took 'em...Tho he had more hits in the '90's than any other player,he probably would have hit more than a career high of 17 homeruns(in a season) with a 'little help'...I for one want to see the users exposed and names to be named...

Yea me too, I hope that Selig somehow grows some and can somehow get around Gene Orza and the Players Union and clear this mess up. Its a huge stain on the game

I remember in about 65 when Tony Conigliaro lead the AL with 32 Homeruns and anytime anyone hit 40 it was an amazing feat. I don't know what they can do about the 'records' but it throws history for aloop when there is a decade when 50-60 or even 70 HR's is normal, and to me spits in the face of the players that have come before...

This weekend: Spend $1000.00 to meet Slappy and Roidboy in NYC.

Hurry hurry--They really need the money.

ARODBONDS-FINAL-copy.gif

This is funny, dont you think they might owe just alittle bit to the fans and to baseball itself after what they have made to be goodwill ambassadors of the game, or at the very least make it reasonable? I know its alot of hard work signing an autograph but $1000.00??

Apparently not..

The best quote that I read on this when it was originally billed as the 'Ultimate Arod Experience' was from a Yankee front office exec who said, "How about getting a hit once in awhile with runners on base? That might qualify as the ultimate ARod experience."

I thought that was a joke at first...The sad thing is,there are a bunch of nuts out there who will pay that kind of money for those autographs....These are the people,who,to paraphrse one VPW,have "queered" the whole baseball experience for good,honest,sincere baseball fans like the rest of us(no offence meant,Tref,but I figured you Limeys don't read these baseball threads,anyhow)...

Baseball has turned into a big enough money-grubbing corporate business as it is,then you also have vultures in the trading card and memorabelia business who wouldn't know a bunt from a sacrifice fly exploiting baseball's popularity into stratospheric prices for ridiculous things like an autograph or gum that was actually chewed by Luis Gonzalez...

Don't get me wrong...I don't mind the casual fan...But who are these people who would pay a grand for A-Rod's or Bonds' autograph?...I mean,so you paid for their autograph at a card-signing...Who gives a shi t?...It's not like you bumped into them in an elevator or at the Family Dollar Store...

I enjoy my own baseball memories more than any piece of baseball memorabelia could ever give me...One piece I do have,tho, is a baseball I bought at a thrift store for two bucks...It was very old looking,the red seams were faded,and the leather was very dried out and porous...After studying the signature on it,and seeing that it was as old as the baseball,I finally made out whose it was....Ty Cobb....Now,it may or may not be authentic,but hey,it only cost me two bucks and I have fun showing it off once in a while...

Fortunately,my work's been very busy...Else I'd be climbing the walls...My son doesn't start playing ball again 'til after the holidays,and spring training is how many days away?

Its a very long way away. I'm Jonesin

Its been 6 weeks since the Red Sox won the World Series,6 weeks! How long must this drought last? How long must we suffer?? icon_wink.gif;)--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I agree, part of the memorabilia experience is the memories and emotions that it evokes. I don't see anything worth recording memorywise for shelling out a thousand bucks and waiting in line. It's artificial, but I would have loved to have been there when you found that ball and what must have surged through your being when you made out the signature for the first time.

Just reading it is exciting thinking you have a baseball signed by Cobb. (TY @#$% Cobb?? holy @#$%!, My grandmother ( a great fan) told me about Cobb, the sharpened spikes, spitting at fielders, always taking the extra base, the huge bat. Sitting on her Oriental carpet I was wrapped up in legendary tales of Cobb and Ruth and Smoky Joe Wood and...later at 10 cutting out pictures of Cobb from Sport Magazine and having them tacked on the wall in my bedroom where he stayed for several years, along with an old yellowed boxscore of a game between the Tigers and Yankees that mentioned both Cobb and Ruth -

It all comes rushing back at the mention of his name, from the smell of the cookies my grandmother was baking, to the color of my wallpaper, to the feeling of the hopes for spring...

That's what memorabilia is for, for just a moment it's not friday and Im on my way to work, (which I have to get serious about in a minute), but I'm 7 and my grandmother is alive again or I am 10 and hoping for spring to come soon. It keeps all those people and moments alive at least for me. I dont think guys like those hawkers get it or will ever get it. Their loss.

-scuse my little flight,sorry about that.

Back to business

I just picked up the calendar and it looks like 67 days give or take a few until spring training, it'll be interesting to see how everyone linesup by then, If the Yankee DeathStar has completely imploded by then and who will be the surprise teams. It'll be tough to beat 2004

One day I'd like to see that baseball of yours and I'll tell you of my run in with Johnny Van Der Meer-

Hows that truck coming along? hope we get some more pics soon, and What's your rundown on Mike Mantei?

Oh,yeah,Mstar...Ty !@$%# Cobb...I took that ball with me everywhere for a week to show it off...

66 days,huh?....Fortunately,I have an old truck to play with and occupy my time...If you mean Matt Mantei,there was a couple weeks where he was serving up gopher balls(home runs)in the ninth inning like the Salvation Army serving up soup to the homeless...It all depends on if he can get his confidence back....

Yeah....the memories..For some reason,since it's so early out here,and my mind is still a little fuzzy,what comes to mind is a rather meaningless game in another Cubs rather meaningless season,when I was working delivering appliances my apprentice corpse year...We had no radio in our truck,and it was a wild game the Cubs ended up winning 15-14 in extra innings,with Big Daddy,Rick Reuschel scoring the winning run as a pinch runner...At every stop we made,we'd either watch or listen to the rest of the current inning with the customer until our last delivery,when the driver,customer and I went berserk watching Rueschel score the winning run....Well,I guess you had to be there,but it was what I thought was a Kodak moment,anyway....