GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

...No,the game was called after the 22 run mercy rule....

Thanks for putting Max's pic up Mstar,but it still doesn't ring a bell..

There was almost a trade years ago:Ron Santo for Reggie Smith...Reggie thought he was worth more and Santo never wanted to leave Chicago...Santo was a diabetic,and he recently told a story of when the Cubs were losing by a run with two outs in the 9th,nobody on,Billy Williams up to bat,and he's in the on-deck circle and he starts getting an insulin attack-or whatever it's called...He's praying for Williams to hurry and make the last out so he could get to the clubhouse and take his insulin....Williams somehow gets on base and Santo has to bat...He didn't even see the first pitch,he just swung as hard as he could and hit it out of the park...He barely made it around the bases,and while everybody is smacking him and congratulating him,all he could think of was getting to the clubhouse...

Hey Lifted,they had one of those runner interference calls in the Dodgers-D'backs game tonight...Shawn Green never actually came in contact with the ball or the fielder,but the fielder missed the ball trying to avoid running into Green...My son and I argued about the ump's call all the way home...

quote:
Let's see what will happen when they get to the red Sox again.

They dont want us now...Nobody wants to play the Sox ....its exciting baseball right now, a whole new dimension with our new guys

10 1/2 has shrunk to 3 1/2 in a little over two weeks

there is a home and home in a few weeks

I checked for ticks last night-- and prices are already up to $500-$1500

Please send your tithes and offerings to mstar1@getmesometickets.com

2 1/2

2 1/2

This I like icon_cool.gif

Its a beautiful thing to watch a team jell and find its stride after a lot of struggles....

I think your right Simon- yet another two names i havent heard -- well... since the days of Tom Tresh, Joe Pepitone and Clete Boyer...

ave any of you heard anything about Urbina-I liked him when he was here briefly --I have only heard word of mouth stuff that he has left the tigers due to a family member being kidnapped in Venezuela, which apparently happens to the rich and famous there-- icon_frown.gif:(-->

--

The Yankers were calling for a forfeit from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays yesterday because the DRays couldnt get to the game on time due to the hurricane.

Seems to me after a week when they suffered their greatest loss in history (22-0), starting pitcher Kevin Brown broke his hand in afit of rage , their starting pitching is dessimated, and they are in the midst of a collapse that they were looking for a freebie win on a technicality.

Instead of rescheduling a doubleheader for today or tomorrow which would be customary they now want to play the game at the end of the season (if it should be necessary). Which also gives them advantage in that game since the season will be over and the game will mean nothing to the Rays. --Just curious about these things since it could effect playoff positioning. Seems like a sh!**y thing to take advantage of a team caught in a natural disaster, but then again they are the Yankees

Here is a story from the Tampa paper

excerpt:

quote:
The entire episode was enough to make you a Devil Rays fan. Here were the Rays, in the middle of a seven-game losing streak, and a hurricane, stuck with five games in New York, which they gladly would have played on time, only the hurricane didn't cooperate.

The Yankees don't want to hear it. To them, this is another example of the monkey-like Rays screwing up the works, interfering with the professional operation of a death star. It's like the lions complaining because the Christians were late. If only it was funny. If only Frances was funny.

No matter how the Empire wants to play it--just tell them we are coming

Definitely not a problem for the field umps. Dunno about the rescheduling, but the forfeit idea seems ridiculous. Even if there were some technicality in the rules that says it should be a forfiet, it wouldnt wash. Remember, the umpires were right about nullifying George Brett's home run years ago...but the league decided it was nitpicky, upheld the protest, and changed the rules.

I can't really blame the Yankees for trying to get the forfeit,'tho I didn't think it would wash either....I know all teams will play their entire 162 game schedule,unless the difficulty of a make-up,and neither team figures in the pennant or wild-card races...I know that has not always been the case,but I think you have to go back to the early 1900's to find a pennant winner that didn't do the full 154 game schedule and won by a half game or something...

The Cubs will be playing 24 straight days,which is four more days than the union maximum...The players agreed to it....Their squabble with the Marlins is that on a make-up twinbill,Florida wants a day-night doubleheader so they can get two separate gate receipts...The Cubs are saying no...They want to fly to Florida,play their double-header with only a short break between games,and get the hell outa there...

How the hell do the Cubs expect to go anywhere in the playoffs,much less get there,when they can't beat The Little Sisters of the Poor,AKA,the Montreal Expos,in a three game series?...They're playing like they're not quite sure they want the pressure of being in the playoffs...

Bosox are hot...'Stros are sizzling...I can't stand the bums,but they've taken the lead on the Cubs in the NL wild card and are playing like they want to be in the post-season...

Bosox only two back...I'd love to see them at the top of the AL East...

Yeah,I loved those days when they had doubleheaders(remember the twi-night doubleheader?)...Cubs used to have to start their first game of a twinbill at noon so they could finish the second one by dark in the days before the lights at Wrigley....

I loved those doubleheaders, I used to go to 3 or 4 a year at Fenway in the mid to late 60's, arrive early for batting practice and stay until the last out of the second game --a good 7-8 hours of baseball for $1.00---

The Red Sox are sizzling, its exciting after all the various struggles of playing 3 1/2 months of .500 ball, to see them finally gell, reach their stride together as a team.

They have reached that intangible ?hoozit? that all sports teams strive for but cant be put into words or measured with stats, and been playing there for a good 3-4 weeks now where they are 20-2. Everybody is contributing consistently.

Its fun every night not questioning or second guessing but just plain and simple expecting them to win and watching good solid exciting baseball on all fronts.

As much as I liked him, one of the best things they did this year was trade away Nomar and allow for some new energy on the team. Orlando Cabrera reminds me of the Nomar of 5 years ago, he and the others add a new dimension to the Sox ( what--speed and defense in Boston ?) It is great to watch.

At this point- its way baseball should be- there is no pressure, they look like boys just having fun and its fun to be there

The $1.00 doubleheader is gone--- Tickets for next weekends Yankee series are going for $500.+ (thats the cheap seats),

Donations still being accepted.