GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Cubs swept Chisox and Mets swept Yanks...Who'd a thunk the two biggest intra-city series played in the NL parks would be swept by NL teams...It's tough on the AL batting their pitcher...The Yanks are protesting,tho...Lifted,did you see the play they were protesting on,where the ball went past the first baseman's glove and into the runner,who was called out?...If you did,how would you interpret the ruling?

I got him running daily up this hillside behind tha house and learning how to do diamond style pushups and swing a double - bit axe chopping wood. That should give him all the phsical attributes he needs... now If'n I can just get him to watch me demonstrate the art of pitchin' ...he will have it down!

I didn't see the play; just read about it. However, the protest is apparently dead. If the ball passes any fielder except the pitcher, even if not touched, the runner is not automatically out if the batted ball hits him, but he is out if (everyone's favorite phrase) in the umpire's judgement, another fielder had a play on the ball to get a runner. What I read is in this case, Torre admitted that the second baseman may have had a play, but the key is the umpire's judgement is not going to be overruled.

Littlehawk:

quote: bit axe chopping wood.

I read Ty Cobb's autobiography (great read) and he says Cy Young was a rail splitter before he played baseball and that's where his arm strength came from.

Simon: During rained out Tiger games they will occasionally show game 7 of the '68 series. I was in Jr high when it happened and that game was on during the day, so I only got to see the 9th inning, but Mr. Lolich was awesome that day. 2 days rest, good movement on his fast ball, in the Cards half of the 6th inning it was still scoreless and Brock and Flood were on base and without throwing a pitch he got both of them out. They didn't even score on him until one out in the 9th. He may never be a hall of famer, but he sure beat one (Gibson) when he had to. Yeah, he was/is kinda rotund all right. He currently runs a doughnut shop.

ahhh... the teams of our youth... they don't make 'em like they used to...

Hawk, are there any books or tapes out about how Nolan Ryan or Roger Clemens developed themselves or their routines? Seems there'd be worse folks to try and emulate...

He seems to have a big thing going for him already (I mean besides being your son!)... HEIGHT! In the Major League draft these days they're choosing height over a lot... they say you can teach pitching, but you can't teach height... the taller the better...!

How about those Rangers? Five players! (hey! that's a big deal to us)... And before Hills chimes in about his sacred Yankees... the PLAYERS VOTED Blalock and Young over Arod and Jeter! ...hey, we're happy about it...

I think the players know what they're talking about,Tom....Good for the STrangers...

By the way,I am absolutely,unequivocally,adamantly,no bones about it,100% positively "you can quote me on it" sure that I am against the current rule that whichever league wins the All-Star game has home-field advantage in the world series...There are plenty of other ways to add some drama and meaning to the All-star game without involving the World Series,especially when a contending manager is managing the All-star game....

• 3 weeks later...

Oh,shuttup,Johniam...

It was sickening to see the Cubs pee all over themselves against the Cards....If I was Dusty Baker,I would bench LaTroy Hawkins for at least a week(unless,of course,he lost a loved one or something),rather than have him pitch the next day...His tantrum was so little-league he should be treated like a kid...While it's obvious the guy was frustrated about giving up a couple of 9th inning homers,you have to question the guy's confidence right now...I thought the same thing when Mark Prior was waving his arms angrily when that fan interfered with that foul ball in last year's playoffs....Prior looked like a pitcher who was desperately struggling to get outs,and should have been yanked right then...Anywho,that's my armchair managing for the day..

I'll still root for the Chisox this year as well as the stRangers,not only 'cuz I like Tom,but I like the job Buck's doing there...The Cubs are done as far as the Cardinals are concerned...they better start thinking wild card....

That whole thing made me think about the law of believing. Do some people in the Cubs organization believe they're "cursed"? They have a good team. It seems kinda desperate to put so much importance on a 2 game series in July. In retrospect, it also seems inappropriate for Moises Alou to come unglued just because of the Bartman play last year. That affected all the fans. There was a Cardinal fan at that game sitting 6 rows in front of Bartman next to his Cub fan buddy who called a STL sports talk radio station and said that after the Bartman thing happened, him and his friend got doused with beer thrown by people in the upper deck. There was no need for an all out panic like that. Their psyche is still fragile.

True, Cardinal fans have a long habit of making fun of the Cubs. There's a billboard here with the Hardees angus beef thick burger and it says little burgers are for Cub fans, plus Sammy Sosa gets his share of grief from the right field fans every time the Cubs play here (calling him Corky and stuff), but the Cardinals have a ton of respect for the Cubs current team. They lost a lot of starts for Prior and Wood yet they are still competitive. The events of this week may play out to be only a burp by the end of the season.

I think Dusty Baker flies off the handle a bit too easily, but his impact on the team's collective attitude is obvious. Cardinal announcers are all unanimous in support of Ron Santo getting into the Hall of Fame, too. But that pesky law of believing, though....I don't know if it's so much the players, but somebody connected with the team thinks they really are cursed, IMO.

I think we should have a rule on this thread that you can't 'slur' anybody's favorite team....

Anybody sane left out there?

Johnuar,though I'm not sure I'd use the phrase 'law of believing',I think you're onto something about curses,attitudes and such...I think a losing attitude can infect a team,from the coaches down to the players,just like a winning attitude can do the same...I think that 'intangible' was illustrated well in the 7th game of the Bosox-Yankees series last year...

Consider how even after the Sox got to Clemens for a 4-0 lead,they couldn't put the Yankees away...After that,the Yanks seemed to do all the right things and the Sox,the wrong ones....Torre goes to his bullpen early(using a starter,no less),to keep the Yanks in the game...Giambi,having a disappointing year,hits a couple of solo shots to make the game a little closer...Pedro is left in after his tank is empty and relinquishes the lead...

Then,to me,the oddest occurence of all...You got Brett Boone in the announcer's booth,whose slugging statistics are head and shoulders above his kid little brother Aaron's,who happens to hit a walk-off extra inning homer to win the series...As a GM,who would you rather sign for your team,Brett or Aaron Boone?...Yet who was the championship series hero?...Say what one will about the Yankees buying their championships,I think there's more than just having the best ballplayers required to win championships...Maybe it is believing...

On the other side of the coin,I think the Cubbies are just expecting the 'curse' to eventually vex them and then they play accordingly...Not much was mentioned of the double-play grounder that was booted by the Cubs shortstop shortly after the Bartman play....

I've always thought the Dodgers and the Cardinals were the two best franchises in the NL...They don't seem to let their teams sink to low into the depths of despair...They always seem to be in contention,or not far off...