GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Congrats to Greg Maddux on win number 300....Only the 22nd pitcher to achieve that milestone...Not bad for a guy whose fastball rarely,if ever,clocked at 90 mph....

Well,how many times have you heard a disgruntled baseball fan complain that they should fire the owners?...The Az. Diamondbacks did just that...Gave managing general partner Jerry Colangelo,basically the founding father of the D-backs,an "earlier retirement"....

simon... couldn't have happened to a 'nicer' guy! ..or should I say more deserving! but then again... your city 'drafted' him to be the 'managing partner' anyway didn't they? ...how do you feel when you see so many of your tax dollars going into his pockets from the d'backs and suns?

Tom,

You could prolly do 100 pages in the political threads on all the political shenanegans that took place to bring the D-backs to Az. ...I'll credit Colangelo for making things happen,and the fact that he grew up in the sports ranks(he wasn't an independantly wealthy guy that just bought a sports team for a hobby)...But he did bully his way through some political barriers and admittedly,he mortgaged his team's future for an immediate winner...The transient,fair-weather Arizona population demands that...Now,the team has to start paying the credit-card bills,and the outlook ain't to purty...

Speaking of World Series--dont forget one of the purer manifestations of the sport The Little League World Series which is starting up this weekend.

Saturday, Aug. 7

Southeast Championship (at St. Petersburg, Fla.) 7 p.m.

(eastern) ESPN

Sunday, Aug. 8

Midwest Championship (at Indianapolis) 7 p.m.

(eastern) ESPN2

Monday, Aug. 9

Great Lakes Championship (at Indianapolis) 8 p.m.

(eastern) ESPN

Tuesday, Aug. 10

Southwest Championship (at Waco, Texas) 8 p.m.

(eastern) ESPN2

Wednesday, Aug. 11

Northwest Championship (at San Bernardino, Calif.) 8 p.m.

(eastern) ESPN2

Thursday, Aug. 12

West Championship (at San Bernardino, Calif.) 8 p.m.

(eastern) ESPN2

Saturday, Aug. 14

New England Championship (at Bristol, Conn.) 8 p.m.

(eastern) ESPN

Sunday, Aug. 15

Mid-Atlantic Championship (at Bristol, Conn.) 5 p.m.

(eastern) ESPN2

Little League Baseball Division (11-12 year olds)

World Series Games to be Televised

(All games at Little League International - Williamsport, Pa.)

All times are listed in Eastern Time.

Game Time Network

Friday - Aug. 20

Midwest vs. Southeast 1 p.m. ESPN

Latin America vs. Canada 5 p.m. ESPN2

New England vs. West 8 p.m. ESPN

Saturday - Aug. 21

Mid Atlantic vs. Great Lakes Noon ESPN2

Southwest vs. Northwest 3 p.m. ESPN

EMEA vs. Asia 6 p.m. ESPN2

Midwest vs. New England 8 p.m. ESPN2

Sunday - Aug. 22

Southwest vs. Great Lakes 1 p.m. ESPN

Southeast vs. West 3 p.m. ESPN

Northwest vs. Mid-Atlantic 8 p.m. ESPN2

Monday - Aug. 23

Pacific vs. Mexico 1 p.m. ESPN2

Midwest vs. West 3 p.m. ESPN

Caribbean vs. Transatlantic 5 p.m. ESPN2

New England vs. Southeast 7 p.m. ESPN2

Tuesday - Aug. 24

Caribbean vs. Pacific 11 a.m. ESPN2

Canada vs. EMEA 1 p.m. ESPN2

Southwest vs. Mid-Atlantic 3 p.m. ESPN

Latin America vs. Asia 5 p.m. ESPN2

Northwest vs. Great Lakes 8 p.m. ESPN2

Wednesday - Aug. 25

International - Semi-Final (D1 vs. C2) 4 p.m. ESPN

United States - Semi-Final (B1 vs. A2) 8 p.m. ESPN

Thursday - Aug. 26

International - Semi-Final (D2 vs. C1) 4 p.m. ESPN

United States - Semi-Final (B2 vs. A1) 8 p.m. ESPN2

Saturday- Aug. 28

International Championship 3 p.m. ESPN

United States Championship 7:30 p.m. ABC

Sunday - Aug. 29

Consolation Championship 1 p.m. ESPN

World Championship

quote:
Originally posted by mstar1:

Well being a Red Sox fan, I like to see somebodies baseball dreams come true, since mine have been on hold for about a century now.

Are you that old?

My Cleveland Indians had their last World Series win in 1948, two years before I was born, so it may as well be a century.

Not really, I just feel it every year about this time during the nosedive......maybe it is genetic memory from the grandparents or a grave sin in a past life that lead me to be born in Boston....the Red Sox are an eternal and unbreakable link to dashed hopes and unfulfilled dreams

Every year with the Red Sox seems like a hundred years

I understand what you guys are talking about... but at least your teams have gotten out of the first round!

The youngsters on our team are "hitting the wall" right now (instead of the ball) but they're good humans and will learn from this and hopefully break out of it soon... our pitching isn't strong enough to overcome their recent lack of offense... and because we've had to carry so many pitchers on the active roster they've not had any time off... they're trying to bring up a utility guy or two to get them at least a day and a half each off and then they're just going to have to grind it out...

They do have great attitudes though... and the folks here love the way they approach and play the game...

Fortunately,my love for the game transcends how well my team is doing...Geez,between the Cubs and the White Sox,Chicago still hasn't won a championship in,what,a hundred years?...But there's nothing I enjoy more than good baseball(aside from a few personal vices)....While nothing can top a dramatic,walk-off homerun,I love a good chess match in a well managed game,heads-up baserunning,game-saving catches,watching great pitchers ply their craft against great hitters,the wonderful,relaxing atmosphere of knowing that nothing so cataclysmic has happened in the world around me that prevents me from soaking in the game....

Agreed and agreed, to me baseball is, or can be at times near to the perfect artform, I enjoy all those things of which you speak. What ultimately perturbs me is when I see our million dollar messiahs making mental lapses that any athletic 9 year old knows and that would embarass a 12 year old. Although mental and physical mistakes are a part of the game to see some of the things that I have seen this year out of my team, sort of degrades the game itself and gets me po'ed. Its like watching the child with the most potential go astray.

However, It still is though the best thing( well one of the best...) to do with a summer evening

Just watched ESPN's countdown to the greatest chokes of the last 25 years...2003 Cubs #5...1986 Bosox,#1....Grrrrr....

Yeah,I've been tempted more than a few times to take a baseball bat to the tv screen when Sammy Sosa or Corey Patterson come up to bat...It's like they go up to the plate with absolutely no game plan...Uhhh,Sammy...0-2 pitch,you're probably not gonna get a belt high fastball down the middle..ADJUST YOU'RE FREAKIN' SWING!...Patterson...The ump probably would have called that 1-0 pitch that sailed over your head a ball if you hadn't swung at it...I mean,I know they're facing good pitching,but these guys look totally unprepared and clueless when they come to the plate...I don't care if they guess wrong,but at least get up there and guess,for God's sake...I don't know if any sport matches the great one-on-one mental battle between pitcher and batter...

I "third" those thoughts as well... it is and always has been "the best" for me...

We open a series with the evil empire tonight after being swept by the O's the last four games... we put 5 up on Kevin Brown (that's always satisfying for us) and he's done...

They've also turned a couple of amazingly acrobatic double plays... now, if Drese (our pleasant surprise this year) can hold on for a couple of more innings we've got faith in our bullpen...

The Kids from Richmond, Texas made it to Williamsport for the second year in a row last night- a good exciting game against Arkansas

The LLWS has first choice for me, with the Sox relegated to between innings, even though the AL wildcard race is in a 3-way tie.

Halfway through August and the Red Sox are still a team without an identity, they and a lot of these major leaguers could learn a lot about teamwork from these little leaguers.

Hows Nomar doing over there? He wasnt happy anymore over here, but when he is on (which has been awhile)he can be one of the most exciting players I have seen in this generation. Maybe those days are gone (maybe and hopefully not) but I still would love to see him spark the Cubs

to the Series.

The Morganton, NC All-Stars are going to Williamsport for the Little League World Series.

Morganton is a town of about 17,000 that is 70 miles northwest of Charlotte and this is the biggest thing to happen there since...forever. The last team from anywhere around here to go to the World Series was in 1952.

Old timers might remember Morganton as a big twi area back in the 70s.

Their first game will be August 20th against Davenport, Iowa.

Last years Little League World Series Team was from Valley Sports in Louisville, Ky. I played on the same team back in the late sixties , so it was thrill for me seeing them win tha world series of Little League. I think my next big thrill in baseball will be seeing Tony LaRussa lead the Cardinals to another World Series Championship!. I think he deserves to go out on a Winners Note!

The last Arizona team in the tournament got ousted yesterday in the regionals in California.....

You're right,Johniam,there's still plenty of baseball left...This is the time of year when the ones who really want to play playoff baseball start stepping it up...

So far,Mstar,Nomaah is fitting in nicely,which is to be expected..Got his first homer as a Cub,yesterday...The Cubs haven't had a good hitting shortstop since....geez,Ernie Banks...

Johniam,

I have similar trouble remembering Dal Maxville and Mike Shannon's positions...

Beckert was their second baseman and was always a tough strikeout...Unfortunately for him,when he had his career year in 1971 and hit .342,Joe Torre also had his career year and hit .363,and not only won the batting title,but had 137 ribbies and won the MVP as well....Kessinger was a good shortstop,but I don't think he ever hit higher than the .270's,and rarely homered..In those days it wasn't uncommon for the starting shortstop on a lot of teams to hit below .250,as long as they were fast and good defensively...These power-hitting,lightning-quick infielders we have nowadays truly amaze me...

You know,Johniam,you were talking about believing a while back...I'm sort of a stat freak...But what amazes me is when the best statistics and the actual winners don't match...Like,everybody remembers the Cubs collapse of '69...What gets me,is there is no way they should have lost the division to the Pirates in 1970...Cubs had the best starting four(remember those days?),three 100 RBI men,and a "million dollar infield",yet only managed to win 84 games...Pirate's leading pitcher won only 15 games,and their leading RBI guy was Stargell with 85...Yet they won the division by 5 games over the Cubs...How do you explain that? Believing?...Winning(or losing)attitude?

Look at the Cardinals this year...A typical series for them is: win 8-7; win 1-0; lose 8-2;win 5-4 in extra innings...How is it teams like that seem to just know how to win while some of the heretofore-mentioned teams seem to lay awake at night inventing new ways to lose?....

Well,I'm a little charged on caffienne,and felt like ranting a bit...Like they say,it's only a game...

Interesting that as a young Cleveland Indian fan, one of their players over 40 years ago was

Doc Edwards. He managed the Indians for a little while back in the '80s. Now he is in town (has been for a while) as the manager of our Northern League Canaries...who, like the Indians of the 60s dont seem to go too far.