GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Being out in the middle of nowhere I dont get to near as many games as I'd like to but tonight I had the rare privilege of seeing a barnstorming team "Oil Can Boyd's Traveling AllStars" in a scene that was reminiscent of the 30's.

A bunch of former Major Leaguers (Delino DeShields, Marquis Grissom and Oil Can were the most recognizable names) against a local team of college players. It made me nostalgic for a time that I never saw, only have heard the stories of from my father who used to see Negro League All Star teams, and other barnstormers like the House Of David pull into little towns and play teams from the local factories. The only thing missing tonight was passing the hat. Good baseball. Americana through and through

An ESPN crew was there filming for an upcoming documentary

Being out in the middle of nowhere I dont get to near as many games as I'd like to but tonight I had the rare privilege of seeing a barnstorming team "Oil Can Boyd's Traveling AllStars" in a scene that was reminiscent of the 30's.

A bunch of former Major Leaguers (Delino DeShields, Marquis Grissom and Oil Can were the most recognizable names) against a local team of college players. It made me nostalgic for a time that I never saw, only have heard the stories of from my father who used to see Negro League All Star teams, and other barnstormers like the House Of David pull into little towns and play teams from the local factories. The only thing missing tonight was passing the hat. Good baseball. Americana through and through

An ESPN crew was there filming for an upcoming documentary

Awesome!

I'm almost surprised you didn't mention one Ricky Henderson... that sounds like the kind of thing he would to... hoping to get a call from an MLB team in the hunt for the playoffs before Sept 1!

Arizona FINALLY... after 9 and a half seasons, gets its first WIN against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays!

And it's didn't come cheap. Dbacks were down 7-1 and fought back to finally tie the score at 8-8 in the bottom of the 9TH... on a 2 run HR by Tony Clark.

Then, CHRIS YOUNG (rookie centerfielder) hit his 3rd walk off HR (2 run) of the season, in the 10th inning.

That sounds like a great time, mstar. I'm curious who else was on that team. I didn't know Marquis Grissom had 'retired'. And I also think that Rickey Henderson would (should) be th

As much as I enjoy interleague play, I'm starting to think there is too much of it. Of course, except for last nights romp on the Jays, the Dodgers have been getting shelled by every AL team they face. I guess it will be interesting to see them play in that gawd awful Tampa Bay park, but I'm not sure what the point is.I have to look fast these days to catch any games against the Phillies, Mets, or other east teams, since they play so few now.

We need more Yankee -Bosox matchups! I know they don't play anymore than other division rivals. It just seems that way, thanks to espn, I guess.

I honestly hadnt heard of most of the other players, they were probably mostly guys who got a quick look see at the bigs and then never really made it, Of course the one speaker that they had for anouncements was pretty bad and hard to understand..."Now..barten fo Ora Ken Birds %$^raveling awe stahs, formiongly of the Chicago crububs. foist xxbasman, nummah seven, Pee Resteno

Who? What he say? Did you hear who he said?

So it was hard to tell.

Its was funny in a small town sort of way.It fit the scene perfectly.,

as far as interleague play--blah-If they are going to do it then they should finally level the rules--it just screws up both teams

I honestly hadnt heard of most of the other players, they were probably mostly guys who got a quick look see at the bigs and then never really made it, Of course the one speaker that they had for anouncements was pretty bad and hard to understand..."Now..barten fo Ora Ken Birds %$^raveling awe stahs, formiongly of the Chicago crububs. foist xxbasman, nummah seven, Pee Resteno

Who? What he say? Did you hear who he said?

So it was hard to tell.

Its was funny in a small town sort of way.It fit the scene perfectly.,

as far as interleague play--blah-If they are going to do it then they should finally level the rules--it just screws up both teams

Yeah, Mstar, but it messed up the YANKEES... which team just finished getting swept in three games in Denver, with the lucky loser of today's game -- ROGER CLEMENS!

sport02.gif

Hey Hiway29...

You got the Dodgers/Dbacks game on?

It's on tv here in HD, but last inning, Mark Grace and Daren Sutton (Don's son, now doing TV work for the Dbacks) showed Vin in the booth at Chase Field... so, apparently he made the trip to Phoenix... and we got to listen to him for a couple of (way too brief) moments.

I still envy you!

Of course Grace and Sutton made at least as big a deal about, as Sutton said, Mr. Scully, as about anything else in the game... and so far Penny's throwing a pretty good game (DRAT!).

I caught a good part of the game , Rocky. Vin makes most of the trips to Arizona,Denver, San Diego, and San Francisco, but I wasn't surprised that he didn't go to Toronto or Tampa Bay last week. The difference without him is jarring, and does not bode well for when he finally hangs up his microphone.

I'm sure you noticed Vin was alone in the booth, without a 'color' guy to blather with. I'm sure he's about the last of that breed. Up to 2 years ago, all the Dodgers announcers worked alone. Now they only let Vin do it, and the other teams are your standard blah blah, home team rooters. Another frank McCourt 'innovation', but at least he's had the sense to not touch Vinny, or try to get him to retire.

I gotta think Mark Grace is good in Arizona. I've never heard him broadcast a game, but he's been very entertaining in interviews.

I caught a good part of the game , Rocky. Vin makes most of the trips to Arizona,Denver, San Diego, and San Francisco, but I wasn't surprised that he didn't go to Toronto or Tampa Bay last week. The difference without him is jarring, and does not bode well for when he finally hangs up his microphone.

I'm sure you noticed Vin was alone in the booth, without a 'color' guy to blather with. I'm sure he's about the last of that breed. Up to 2 years ago, all the Dodgers announcers worked alone. Now they only let Vin do it, and the other teams are your standard blah blah, home team rooters. Another frank McCourt 'innovation', but at least he's had the sense to not touch Vinny, or try to get him to retire.

I gotta think Mark Grace is good in Arizona. I've never heard him broadcast a game, but he's been very entertaining in interviews.

Yeah, Gracies okay. Just as laid back and conversational doing games as he would be in person, or in interviews. Can't even come close to comparing him with Mr. Scully, of course. Gracie and Daren Sutton banter back and forth, quite playfully... they do well together. Sutton replaced Thom Brenneman, who left to work with his father in Cincinatti. Brenneman was good and I thought I'd miss him but I don't. Sutton is a mellow guy... as one might expect, he played some baseball (pitcher of course) but never made it past the minor leagues. Both Grace and Sutton are guys you would feel comfortable sitting down and having a beer with.

And yes, I did notice that Vin was alone in the booth. I just can't imagine what LA area baseball fans will go through when he's actually done, one way or the other. No doubt there will be plenty of grieving.

btw, I LOVE your avatar!

Who do you think you are, George BUSH?! ;)

Bush does resemble Alfred E. Neuman, doesn't he ? He doesn't seem as intelligent as Alf ,though.

It will be traumatic to say the least when Vin is gone. There's just no replacing him. If I were in charge, I'd be finding out if John Miller was available and make an offer. He's a good baseball guy, who calls a good game, without grating on the nerves.

The Dodgers seem to love Rick Monday. A good guy, a good former player, and an announcer who is hard to criticize, as it's evident he works hard at it. I just don't like listening to him.

Just set up my July 4th season tickets. I'll be at Chavez Ravine on Sunday vs the Padres, and July 3rd vs the Braves. They just moved Nomar to 3rd base, to make room at 1st for James Loney, who's only hitting .450 since coming up. I love this time of yesr, when the season is well underway, yet still with months to go.

I don't have 'season tickets'-it's just the July 4th season

oh... those stRangers are teasing us again... 9-3 over the last 12 and still just barely staying out of the race for last place... funny thing is, some of the pundits around here are starting to wonder if it's coincidence that they've done this since Tex and Blaylock were put on the DL. Both of them were vocal in their wanting Buck gone. Both have said negative things about Washington (the new manager)... and on top of that, the players all know that Tex is on his way out either by trade or free agency (he's a Boras guy). Sadly, he's all about the money... oh well, guess that makes him like a lot of the others ... you folks up in the NE will enjoy him because he is a very good player.

But it is nice to see them put this little 'streak' together...

Looks like the Cubs have been promoted from AAA Iowa to the NL Central of the Major leagues....They reached .500 today on a walkoff hr by Aramis Ramirez....I had thought if they reached .500 by the all-star break,they might have a chance...We'll see...

And then there's the Dbacks. No team in the NL has more wins than the Dbacks. Yet, sometimes this team, with a decent pitching staff, a couple of seasoned veterans and a whole bunch of youngsters (rookies or not much more experience than that), plays some really awful baseball.

Several times, the Dbacks have committed several errors in a game, giving the opponent what ends up being a fairly easy win... including the two games I (we) have attended. Frustrating....

Dont forget to vote for that last allstar at MLB.com.

I voted for Hideki Okajima myself. who has been amazing......

...For all the talk about the Red Sox running away they are actually 1 game worse than they were at this time last year...and they finished 11 games out....there is a long way to go yet.....

a stupid question that I think about once in a while..

Does anyone know the history or the reason that "K" is used to denote a strikeout?

Who thought that up?

When I was in my single digit years I marked my scorecards "SO", I didnt switch to "K" until I was about 11.

There is a reason somewhere that I have never heard, at least W could stand for "whiffed', F for "fanned". CL for 'caught looking', a lot of possibilities... I dont know about K.

Edited by mstar1

I don't bother voting for the all star team.

I was at the game a couple of weeks ago with my ballot. I watched as a guy in my row collected stacks of ballots so he could vote Russell Martin in. Martin deserves to be in, but my puny vote means nothing next to some dude who's turning in hundreds. I just said forget it, and watched the game.

I used to know the origin of K, but forget.

Bosox may be 'worse' than last year, but they certainly don't have the Yankees to worry about.

hiway... this from wikipedia.org regarding "K":

In scoring, a swinging strikeout is recorded as a K, or a K-S. The use of "K" for a strikeout was invented by Henry Chadwick, a newspaper journalist who is widely credited as the originator of the box score and the baseball scorecard. Both the box score and scorecard persist largely unchanged to this day, as the game itself is largely unchanged except for the number of balls and strikes allowed to the pitcher and batter. The letter "S" was used to coin "sacrifice" so Mr. Chadwick decided to use "K", with "K" being the last letter in "struck." Mr. Chadwick also invented many other baseball scoring abbreviations, such as using numbers to designate player positions (progressing from the battery, pitcher [1]and catcher [2], through the infield, with the shortstop counted after the basemen, at number 6, to the right fielder [9]).

there's a couple of more paragraphs in there as well... I just searched for "strike out"...

...it does say that "SO" is the official MLB designation though...

ya know... a 4-3 road trip against a pair of division leading clubs (Det/Bos)... I'll take that...

Over a week’s time, the Rangers beat Roy Oswalt, Jeremy Bonderman, and Josh Beckett.

And then tonight Kason Koufax joins a Ranger-killing crew that includes Bartolo Buchholz, Cha Seung Clemens, Grover Cleveland Gaudin, and Cy Snell.

Baseball is so easy to figure out!

Thanks for that piece on Henry Chadwick, That has been one of those things (like what the heck does OK mean?) , that has been in the back of my mind for too many decades. I'll take it-- although the Matt Kilroy story in the Wiki article is colorful too..

Good too see you back Strangeone, you were mighty quiet for awhile--

I found THIS----which is the MLB official abbreviations page

Don't they already use "SO" for shutout,Tom?...

well... it is wikipedia... anyone can put anything in there... but I looked at the starman's link and it has SO for strikeouts... of course, that's in the box score (I think the wikipedia article mentioned that, I may have not)... maybe we can hold a seance and ask ole Henry what he was thinking!

...maybe further research is needed!

I'm sure hoping that we (stRangers) can get something for Tex and Blaylock... and if JD can turn Gagne and Sosa into some nice prospects that will sure help his "score" as a GM... weird thing is both of them say they want to stay here!

...but then, Gagne hasn't pitched in the heat of the summer here yet!

So do you think that the stRangers are gonna dump everyone come the 31st?

i would think they would at least keep Slammin Sammy, to keep some butts in the seats, even though it might be prudent to let him go...

I dunno....

I found some interesting articles on Chadwick this morning, a very interesting guy.

He apparently was the first sportswriter, first statistician and widely popularized the game in its infancy. He was/is known as "The Father in the word of Baseball". I had heard the name over the years but never given him his due weight. I suppose we owe him a huge debt of gratitude...

He was actually from England and looks sort of like Bullinger.

Thanks dude

180px-Henry_Chadwick_Baseball.jpg

Edited by mstar1

So do you think that the stRangers are gonna dump everyone come the 31st?

i would think they would at least keep Slammin Sammy, to keep some butts in the seats, even though it might be prudent to let him go...

I dunno....

I think most of us are hoping they will... Sammy's already gotten 600 so he's not much of a draw anymore.

Since there's no hope for this year, I think most would see it as a great year (for Daniels anyway) if he could turn Gagne and Sosa into something for the future... and they're both going well enough right now that a team making a run could benefit from them... the team has been trying to move Blaylock for a couple of years but doesn't want to give him away and Tex isn't going to re-sign here so it would be nice to get something for him other than a draft pick in free agency... unfortunately both of them are banged up right now (or are they?) so it makes it a little difficult to get as much as we could for them... this is the first time that Tex has missed pretty much since he came up...

But I'm sure that you'll get to see quite a bit of Tex in the future wearing pinstripes...

gotta go now...more huge storms in the area...