GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Tom, you can always check the Washington Senators from the 60's, since they became the stRangers when they moved.

Of course those Senators aren't the classic Washington Senators , who became the Minnesota Twins.

I still think the current Washington Nationals should have called themselves the Senators to keep the grand old name alive.

In a really bizarre item, that I never heard before, and need to investigate to verify, I read that at one point early in the last century, the Red Sox were known as the Yankees ! Maybe Mstar can verify this. It was probably just some newspaper referring to them in a descriptive way, but fascinating. The Yankees at that time were known as the Highlanders, and were possibly the worst team in the AL.

a really bizarre item, that I never heard before, and need to investigate to verify, I read that at one point early in the last century, the Red Sox were known as the Yankees ! Maybe Mstar can verify this. It was probably just some newspaper referring to them in a descriptive way, but fascinating. The Yankees at that time were known as the Highlanders, and were possibly the worst team in the AL.

I know that the Red Sox went through quite a few names (the Pilgrims, the Americans, and some others I cant remember right now) before settling into the Red Sox. I have never heard of the Boston Yankees before that I remember but from the 1860s to 1900 there were a pile of Boston teams that either changed names every few years, or existed only for a year or two and they could be in there somewhere--some of the names were very colorful. The Braves were originally the Beaneaters.

I never realized that the Highlanders were originally in Baltimore until now. I had assumed that the Highlanders evolved from the days of the Elysian Fields teams in Hoboken....I was wrong....I wonder what that whole transaction was about...Did the Orioles have too much competition from the rival Baltimore Canaries at the time?? :)

In those photos up a few posts there are some good shots of the Highlanders in their pre Yankee Stadium days.

300px-Hilltop_Park_1908.jpg

Hilltop Park 1908

I also noticed that instead of beer ads in the stadiums, like we have now, in most of those old pics the stadiums were plastered with Whiskey and Gin ads--It mustve been a little rough in some of those old ballparks

Edited by mstar1

Those fans are standing awfully close to the field in the Highlander shot. I wonder what the event was that allowed the fans to crowd the field like that.

The article I read specifically referred to the Sox being called the Yankees at some point. That doesn't mean the writer was correct.

Teams did go through colorful names back then. I've always liked the Cleveland Spiders before they became the Indians. It was probably a good thing that the Beaneaters didn't stick for the Braves.

Yea its probably good that they dropped "Beaneaters", although they may have missed their chance for a bit part in

I read somewhere recently that it was common for overthrow crowds to be allowed onto the field. Earlier this year I found a pic of Fenway where fans were on the field well into the 1940s--by then it was restricted to the outfield. I dont know if I would want to be as close as those Highlander fans-at least not these days....

They werent nearly as close as Boston fans were during the 1903 World Series though

ExplorePAHistory-a0a0v4-a_349.jpg

Ive always loved this picture

Edited by mstar1

I've got the counter going--as of this post

Pitchers and catchers report:

23 days 04h 10m 43s

:biglaugh:

NESN (the Red Sox Channel) is slowly starting to amp baseball up a little more each week. Last night I watched a come from behind win against the Yankees from last April. --good stuff--

Spring Training coverage is up 250%, including 2 hours of pitchers and catchers reporting day :biglaugh:

Im ready...

btw,,If you are looking for an interesting and inexpensive investment opportunity..CHECK THIS OUT.

I think it is a terrific idea

INTERVIEW with Randy Newsom

Edited by mstar1

I was looking forward to enjoying Dodger Stadium this year with Joe Torre and Don Mattingly in the dugout. Now I'll have to do without Mattingly, as he stepped down as hitting instructor and bench coach to deal with personal family matters in Indiana.

I wish 'Donnie Baseball' well, one of my all time favorite players from a time when the Yankees were going nowhere. I'm realizing as I'm typing this that Mattingly has always had stumblinblocks (is that a word?). He was heading straight for the Hall of Fame when back problems cut his career short, and hurt his skills in his last years. The gawdawful strike in '94 cut short his hopes of ever making it the Series, and when the Yankees finally made the playoffs in '95, his last season, they were trounced by the Mariners. As soon as he retired the Yankees went on their late 90's tear. Now with the opportunity in LA to be hitting coach and 'groomed' for manager after Torre, he has to step down.

I don't know what it all means, but I am going to miss him this year. Maybe he shouldn't have shaved the moustache.

There was brief talk for awhile of him managing the Yanks after Joe's ouster and before both went with the Dodgers. At least he doesnt have to arangle out of that situation for his family needs, that could have been tough.

I too wish him well.

I had an appointment with a cool old doctor I just met today who is 83. After the boring health stuff we of course(!) got onto baseball. He was a RS fan but had grown up in NY as a Giants fan and regalled me with great stories of the young Willie Mays.

When we got talking about outfield arms he described several amazing throws by Willie as if they happened last night but then surprised me totally and said the very best outfield arm he ever saw was RUTH. I almost fell off of my chair-He saw him play?!? Its been along time since I talked to anyone who actually saw Ruth play. He was a Yanks fan for awhile as a boy

I overstayed my appointment by way too long as he told me a number of great stories of watching Ruth and Gehrig, Mays and 75 years of baseball with a memory that was as sharp as could be-- He remembered every detail

I gotta go see this guy more often----Today was one of those days that was a real treat

Edited by mstar1

That is some opportunity to talk with that man. I've never heard much about Ruth's throwing arm, or his defensive skills. It's always been hitting and pitching. It doesn't surprise me that he had a great arm though. I think I always imagined Ruth being somewhat bored and distracted standing around in the outfield-which is unfair.

OK, I'm ready for the season now.

ME TOO! IM READY!

after all the great stories and eras he told me, he smiles and says , "Y'know what is a great time in baseball?

RIGHT NOW!! -this is a very exciting time

I couldnt agree more..

:)

I don't remember EVER talking to someone who had seen Ruth play! I hope the Doc was focused on your health as long as he should have...

I can talk about having seen guys play in AAA in the 1960s... one time I sprained my ankle at the Seneca Park Zoo in Rochester NY and my dad took me to the emergency room... Tom Seaver was there having pitched, if I recall correctly, Jacksonville (FL) against the Rochester Red Wings that day. It would have been early 1960s, maybe 1963 or 64. I remember being maybe 9 or 10... I got his autograph... didn't file it well, don't have it now.

I saw lots of the 1960s Orioles play for Rochester before they went to the show... and Earl Weaver won a championship for the Red Wings before taking over the Orioles.

But talking to a guy that saw Ruth play... you musta been on cloud9.gif.

I was --- I still am---I love old baseball tales -anytime -but especially in January when I am about as far as one can get from baseball.

My grandmother used to tell me stories about Ruth and Gehrig but I was very young -- she preferred talking about Ted Williams if she was in a baseball talking mood and i really didnt know how to direct her back to Ruth at the time.

I talked to Dr B the next day (He talked about the '27 Yankees, Tony Lazzeri and Ruths speed on the basepaths) and told him that he HAS TO get these stories down, whether in writing or on some sort of audio. Hopefully (fingers crossed) he'll let me do that with him at some time in the future..

The next day I was relaying the story to someone else who told me that when the Red Sox AAA affiliate was in that town during the 60's the players of the era (many who went on to famed careers) would warm up for games by playing wiffleball in the streets with the neighborhood kids.... :eusa_clap:

Oddly all these stories were told me within a few 100 yards of where baseball was first known to be played

January is almost past---We've rounded a corner --

Pitchers and catchers report:

19 days 06h 11m 45s

Edited by mstar1

Part of my winter baseball fix is a book I just started called 'Crazy '08-How a cast of cranks, rogues,boneheads,and magnates created the greatest year in baseball history', by Cait Murphy.

I'd never heard '08 referred to that way, so I picked it up and am finding it to be one terrific read, from a writer who really understands the game and the time period, when the Cubs were a dynasty !

when the Cubs were a dynasty !

:)

Their 100 year rebuilding plan may be right on schedule this year ;)

I am beginning to really love that period (early 20thC) of baseball which up until recently had been sort of a blackhole with only a few legends and stories for me...It is becoming more 'alive' and real as i read more....Ive been reading the Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract this winter and he said that both pennant races that year were the two best that there ever was and goes into some of it briefly---It sounds outstanding....I may pick up that book you are reading as a commemoration of the 100th anniversary of that season.

The RS are releasing some more tickets today so I'll be in the online "Virtual Waiting Room" for a good chunk of the day----wish me luck--thats a modern thing I could do without

Edited by mstar1

Virtual waiting room sounds like a level of Hell I don't ever want to see. I hope you get some games.

I've got about a dozen Dodger games bought through a co worker who happens to have season tickets in my favorite section in Dodger Stadium. I felt like I struck gold when they were offered up. I also plan on making it to more Angels games this year. I'm looking forward to seeing Torii Hunter in Anaheim, though I wish he had remained a Twin for his career.

I'm also thinking I have to get to Yankee Stadium somehow.

I also am becoming fascinated with the early 20th century game. This is really an excellent book. It just came out recently , so should be easy to find.

Virtual waiting room sounds like a level of Hell I don't ever want to see. I hope you get some games.

Yea this is bad, I have 8 windows open to the waiting room right now and cant leave as you have a whopping 3 minutes and 30 seconds to make your selections and get all your other info (Credit Card numbers etc) in if perchance it ever does click into the Ticket Purchase area....

Im sure if Dante were still alive he would rewrite the Inferno to include the Virtual Waiting Room somewhere down on the lower levels...

You might want to check out the Yankees site, (go dammit go) they are a little easier. I have a friend from NY who says he has an in on All Star game tix at the Stadium, but I will believe it when I see it..

...did I read right the other day that the Dodgers open the season in Beijing?

the Dodgers are playing some mid March games against the Padres in China-NOT opening day-I can't think of a worse way to begin a season, if that were the case.

At least that's how I understand it. I would think a spring jaunt to China would screw up a team as is, and wish they weren't going. Some players are refusing to make the trip-at least at this point, for one reason or another. We'll see if that holds up.

Yea its the same thing over here. The Red Sox are playing in Japan at the end of March. I suppose its good to do the promo over there and gain a little more of a toehold and name recognition for future signings from over there and all that crap...BUT it cuts down spring training by a week or more plus its going to mean an ungodly amount of travel and all the associated jetlag to start the season. I hope its not too much of a distraction and doesnt screw things up too much...especially for the games in the LA Coliseum :) ( are you goin?)

The kicker is that it was partially scheduled to be the DiceK 'triumphant return' type thing with all the PR and fanfare-- but his wife will be 9 months pregnant almost to the very day, so at this point it is questionable if he will even make the trip.

oops

Im still in that flippin waiting room.

Edited by mstar1

I'm working on going to the Coliseum game. I had to submit a form to the Dodgers who will notify me when tickets become available.

It would be fun to experience the moment in history-especially if they have the short left field fence. I do think I'll be homesick for Dodger Stadium by the 3rd inning.

I think they should have Wally Moon throw out the first pitch. Im really looking forward to the configuration of the field--if it is the old way or not......If you got a digital takes some photos if'n you can....

Im STILL in these $#%@^& waiting rooms (20 of them now) Its been almost 8 friggin hours. There has got to be some better way to d this....

Out of boredom while Ive been waiting I went to the Orioles site and bought tickets for a three game series in August--which was easy-so at least I will be packin off to see Camden Yards this year.

Damn I wish I had gotten those season ticks on EBay a few months back--this is insane

Edited by mstar1

I found this picture which cracked me up.. RF is as big as Montana. There looks to be about a 250 feet or so behind the Centerfielder

That must have been an interesting game being played there back then

:biglaugh:

lamemcolis.jpg

YES!!!! While I was posting I got into the ticket area and got tickets--It only took 11 hours!

Edited by mstar1

That's an awesome picture, from an angle I've never seen ! Taken from the seat I'll probably wind up getting...

Right field is hilarious. The guy in the picture looks like he's playing back about 400 feet. So if Ortiz hits a 500 foot fly to right, will Kemp be able to run after it and relay it back to home before he scores?