GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

That cute video is of course a ridiculous extreme, though I've heard more than a few Boston fans being very smug that THEIR guys aren't involved. I dunno, Ortiz and Manny are looking kinda bloated lately...

I'm sure Mstar will deny this vehemently, but if Selig had paid some Yankee exec to investigate the Fenway clubhouse, without looking into his own backyard, we'd be hearing about it.

OK-I've had time to get over my 'rant'. Since really, only a few of us frequent here, I wonder why Mstar posts all these anti-Yankee finds, knowing they'll 'push my buttons'. Or maybe I'm giving myself to much credit, and he doesn't even think about it. The latter is probably the case.

My take on it is that of course he knows he might be able to "push a button or two"...

I think it's all in good fun in that you could return the favor and push a couple of his buttons... ya know what I mean?

I don't think anything that any of us "regulars" post here to each other is really meant in a hurtful way. I could be naive but that's the way I see it. He's just had the extreme good fortune of being a fan of the team that's been winning it all lately (or coming close when they don't). Heck, I'll slide a thing or two in here and there but I don't mean it in a vindictive way... just pokin' fun.

But that's just me... I'm sure he'll come 'round here at some point and correct me if I'm wrong.

I've said before and I'll say again that I find most all of NYY and BoSox fans detestably obnoxious. I don't know any of them personally though because I never even give them the chance. Of course, you two (mstar & hiway) aren't included in the 'detestable' category cuz I know you guys and I choose to just let it go as I sit here in the middle of the country rooting for one of the most dysfunctional professional sports franchises in history... (but at least I have the Mavs & Cowboys).

...and then there's those whiny Suns fans...

My take on it is that of course he knows he might be able to "push a button or two"...

I think it's all in good fun in that you could return the favor and push a couple of his buttons... ya know what I mean?

I don't think anything that any of us "regulars" post here to each other is really meant in a hurtful way. I could be naive but that's the way I see it. He's just had the extreme good fortune of being a fan of the team that's been winning it all lately (or coming close when they don't). Heck, I'll slide a thing or two in here and there but I don't mean it in a vindictive way... just pokin' fun.

But that's just me... I'm sure he'll come 'round here at some point and correct me if I'm wrong.

I've said before and I'll say again that I find most all of NYY and BoSox fans detestably obnoxious. I don't know any of them personally though because I never even give them the chance. Of course, you two (mstar & hiway) aren't included in the 'detestable' category cuz I know you guys and I choose to just let it go as I sit here in the middle of the country rooting for one of the most dysfunctional professional sports franchises in history... (but at least I have the Mavs & Cowboys).

...and then there's those whiny Suns fans...

HEY!

I heard THAT! :biglaugh:

The latter is probably the case.

Yea it is, I dont give it much thought at all. I dont try to push buttons, if buttons get pushed its totally by accident and not intentional In all honesty most of the things that I post that seem to ruffle your feathers actually come from Yankee sites, Yankee fans ( a Yankee friend from the Bronx sent me that adultswim cartoon -- which I and apparently at least one yankee fan thought was funny)or the New York papers which I read semi regularly. They are much harsher on the Yanks than I generally am around here and they are from within the fold of Yankeedom

I tone it down quite a bit in this forum and watch my P and Q's more than at the other sights where I post, or at least I try to most of the time in order to be civil within what has become the acceptable framework and boundaries of this thread. That, and I also get tired of getting my knuckles rapped and my viewpoint 'corrected'. I really dont get that at all......or the harsh coming down on Bolshevik eaerlier in the year when he wanted to participate here but was put down over and over. I really just dont get it.... but so be it....

In other news (can we get off that for a second?) I was working in a church in New Jersey a few days ago -I was busting my azz moving statues around when I saw this guy who looked like Casey Blake of the Indians with Christ :o

WHOA-I wasnt expecting to see that..

I always suspected that was baseball was biblical :wink2:

100_1603.jpg

Edited by mstar1

The other player Atlanta received from Texas in the Teixeira trade, lefthander Ron Mahay, signed a two-year, $8 million deal with Kansas City. Mahay got his shot in the majors when he tried out and pitched during the last strike. While he was here, Kenny Rogers would never even acknowledge his existence on this earth because of that. ...but $4M/year?

Milwaukee signed Gabe Kapler to a one-year deal to compete for an outfield spot. That's bad news for BoSox fans...!

I really dont get that at all......or the harsh coming down on Bolshevik eaerlier in the year when he wanted to participate here but was put down over and over. I really just dont get it.... but so be it....

mstar, do you remember when this was? I'd like to go back and look because I really don't remember it that way... but then I am old.

Personally, I never take any of the 'opposing views' posted here personally because I always read them through the filter of "fandom"... I really have taken it all as 'friendly but sometimes heated discussion'... mostly because I just enjoy, regardless of opinions differing with mine, having somewhat intelligent conversations with fellow baseball lovers.

mstar, do you remember when this was? I'd like to go back and look because I really don't remember it that way... but then I am old.

Personally, I never take any of the 'opposing views' posted here personally because I always read them through the filter of "fandom"... I really have taken it all as 'friendly but sometimes heated discussion'... mostly because I just enjoy, regardless of opinions differing with mine, having somewhat intelligent conversations with fellow baseball lovers.

That's pretty much how I look at this thread also.! :)

Thats all I want out of the deal as well....

I'll let the Bolshevik thing go, Id drop it but you asked..many of his post were simple things like

"LETS GO RED SOX!!!" in big red letters, which was fine with me, it could have been any team, but he too was "a fellow baseball lover" . I could read enough to know that there was alot of feeling in there...

His post seemed to annoy you more than once --eventually he quit posting here.

Thats it--I'll drop it

I felt bad for him he seemed look a good kid just out of The Way who found some real joy in the game. I liked his enthusiasm--maybe he'll come back--maybe it had nothing to do with it at all.

Thats all. ..no more

Edited by mstar1

Texas has traded righthander Edinson Volquez and minor league lefthander Danny Ray Herrera to Cincinnati for center fielder Josh Hamilton, according to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News.

He's an above-average up-the-middle defender who is a .292/.368/.554 hitter after one big league season, with five years of club control ahead. For all the upside Volquez has, he's a 3-11, 7.20 pitcher in the major leagues. Lots of promise -- and trade value -- there, but Hamilton has already crossed that line from potential to results.

I'd love it but I think this is a gamble because he's been out a couple of years due to drug addiction. Eight times in drug rehab since 2003, attempted suicide 3 times... but like I said, put up good numbers last year. We pray for no relapse...

i'm just related to diehard yankee fans

plus everyone at work etc.

but i spent all my summers on staten island with my great aunt (she was like my grandma) watching the mets

and of course i love mstar more than the moon

and simon and t-strange and rocky et. al.

--

i was just hoping that a-rod was "clean" so if he goes on to break records and all, it would be because he is a true athlete

hey thanks you guys for letting me sneak in here now and then

my favorite player is me' boy

Edited by excathedra

Wow the moon===my heart is pittering and pattering..

I love you too (((excie))) :)

And yea I like all these big guys and talking about them but my favorite player is your boy too.

I hope that you give us some pics someday and more updates...

Its a kids game afterall...come on in more often

I got my Christmas card from the Red Sox yesterday

Merry Merry everyone

xmas-sox.jpg

Bah Humbug! ...not really! :biglaugh:

We still have a couple of days to go but I do wish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Joyous Kwanza, Festive Festivus... glad tidings for whatever holiday you observe!

With the combination of the Bradley and Hamilton moves I'm kind of thinking the Coco to Texas thing isn't going to happen... but who knows? Maybe JD's just picking up some pieces to give him a little flexibility in some trades... (I know, dreaming again)

I actually missed those trades so you are probably right

a Festive Festivus to you as well

I thinkIm going to set up a Festivus Pole , I have an aluminum pole which would work

We've had the Airing of Grievances

all we have to do is the Feats of Strength..

whens that?

(well now that I think of it maybe that is during the season)

According to Wikipedia:

The holiday includes novel practices such as the "Airing of Grievances", in which each person tells everyone else all the ways they have disappointed him/her over the past year. Also, after the Festivus meal, the "Feats of Strength" are performed, involving wrestling the head of the household to the floor, the holiday only ending if the head of the household is actually pinned.

The Feats of Strength is the final tradition observed in the celebration of Festivus. Traditionally, the head of the household selects one person at the Festivus celebration and challenges that person to a wrestling match.[6] The person may decline if they have something else to do, such as pull a double shift at work. Tradition states that Festivus is not over until the head of the household is pinned in a wrestling match.

The other player Atlanta received from Texas in the Teixeira trade, lefthander Ron Mahay, signed a two-year, $8 million deal with Kansas City. Mahay got his shot in the majors when he tried out and pitched during the last strike. While he was here, Kenny Rogers would never even acknowledge his existence on this earth because of that. ...but $4M/year?

I dont get it either. Carlos Silva signed a 4 year 44 million dollar deal with the Mariners as well. (????)

That is quite a payday for a guy who averages 69 strikeouts and 20 home runs allowed per season.

The Mariners are attempting to build the most expensive rotation with a limited upside ever. I don't understand the big dollars at second and third tier players. Lord the pitching market must be extra thin this year

I dont get it either. Carlos Silva signed a 4 year 44 million dollar deal with the Mariners as well. (????)

That is quite a payday for a guy who averages 69 strikeouts and 20 home runs allowed per season.

The Mariners are attempting to build the most expensive rotation with a limited upside ever. I don't understand the big dollars at second and third tier players. Lord the pitching market must be extra thin this year

However, it's looking like the NLWest is still going to have strong pitching for the 2008 campaign.

outfield.gif