GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

go ahead and get those tickets mstar... you know that you can scalp half of them on a game by game basis and you'll get your money back!

(and those that you don't sell, we can come visit!)

thats my thinking Tom. I checked ebay alot last year and tickets in this area were regularly going plus or minus $200 each per game.. The Yankee games --who knows could be 500-2000---sorta crazy but thats the way it is. Im thinking the same as you that if I could dump half of them I may to get to Fenway for free and maybe a little profit---of course that is optimistic...

but it all looks good on paper.

All my big mouth GMing is coming into play now...I gotta see if I have the kahones to put up a few weeks in the caribbean AND a down payment on a new pickup.

Putting Ellsbury and Lester for Santana looks so easy when you are only reading about it and not actually having to do it..

There is about two hours left, if the chips go much higher, I'll want to do it, but I cant go much higher and feel comfortable.

Heres the list of games (all at Fenway)

Thurs 4/10 Detroit

FRI 4/12 NYY

FRI 4/19 Texas

Tue 4/22 LAA

Wed 4/23 LAA

Wed 4/30 Toronto

Fri 5/2 TB

Sat 5/3 TB

Sat 5/17 Milw

Sun 5/18 Milw

Tues 5/20 KC

Thur 6/5 TB

Sat 6/7 Seattle

Sun 6/8 Seattle

Wed 6/11 Baltimore

Sat 6/21 St. Louis

Mon 6/23 Arizona

Mon 7/7 Minnesota

Wed 7/9 Minnesota

Fri 7/11 Baltimore

Sun 7/13 Baltimore

Fri 7/25 NYY

Mon 7/28 LAA

Tue 7/29 LAA

Fri 8/1 Oak

Sun 8/3 Oak

Tue 8/12 Texas

Fri 8/15 Toronto

Sat 8/16 Toronto

Fri 8/29 CWS

Sun 8/31 CWS

Mon 9/1 Baltimore (Labor Day)

Wed 9/3 Baltimore

Mon 9/8 TB

Wed 9/10 TB

Sat 9/13 Toronto

Sun 9/14 Toronto

Wed 9/24 Cleveland

SAT 9/27 NYY

SUN 9/28 NYY

PS to Hiway seats at Yankee Stadium are a little ( OK ..much ) more reasonable than this....

well-----Its not to be this time-durn it...

I was the high bidder with 23 seconds left to go, and 3 people snuck in underneath me before i could refresh

thats nerve wracking!!!

Someone named OrangeCat won them at $7,013.13--I wonder if its the same OrangeCat who used to be here at Greasepot

Too bad, Mstar. I was even entertaining thoughts of buying a couple tickets off you. NOT when the Yankees were in town-that's too much passion for me.

On further reflection, I'm liking the Andruw Jones signing. If he's good enough, I just may start spelling my name wrong in tribute.

:biglaugh:

If you start liking him I'll start callng you HuWah

as it is Andruw looks like he is a little bit in the High Weigh zone, like Miguel Cabrera.

It could work out-- he could be a 40HR guy

I guess my career move as a profesiional scalper will have to wait for another day--

damn ---I almost had a real job

Neither is Fulton County is it?

I think he'll have enough left in the tank for you guys...

As to the Santana thing... are the Fish pushing for Elsbury? or is that coming from your side? If I were the BoSox I'd rather send them Coco since it seems that the BoSox want a future with Elsbury... of course, I guess they'd have to use Elsbury in the trade since they're sending Coco to Tejas!

I hjavent heard anything out of Miami...of course i was sort of locked up on ebay all morning so i havent been paying that close of attention today......who are you hearing?

... it looks like the whole Santana thing was much ado about nothing.

just as well I suppose, i really like watching Jacoby and although you can never really tell with a young player i do know that he is exciting to watch and an integral part of the team right now...

... I thought we had Coco for Teagarden and ? .. a week or so ago....Theo must have not gotten my memo

I hjavent heard anything out of Miami...of course i was sort of locked up on ebay all morning so i havent been paying that close of attention today......who are you hearing?

... it looks like the whole Santana thing was much ado about nothing.

just as well I suppose, i really like watching Jacoby and although you can never really tell with a young player i do know that he is exciting to watch and an integral part of the team right now...

... I thought we had Coco for Teagarden and ? .. a week or so ago....Theo must have not gotten my memo

I haven't heard much either... but the last I heard it was Coco for Laird, a backup OF for a backup Catcher... I'll check with JD and get back to you..

gees its flippin cold this morning-I dont know about Laird but

I'll trade a Coco for a hot coffee and a donut right now...

with Andruw moving west I gotta wonder if

Dodger Bluw Tshirts, paraphernalia, and variations on the theme ( The Bluw Cruw)are on the market yet...

someone would be on that in about 30 seconds over here

Edited by mstar1

Maybe with your pr guy coming over here, that's exactly what we'll see.

The only player in recent memory to get that kind of promo, was Gagne a few years ago. You couldn't get away from 'game over', and I knew it was only a matter of time before that became a cruel joke.

In Gagne's case, the hype came after he produced. With Andruw, we'll see. I may get sick of the letter u before we're through.

Also, remember that Frank McCourt took the names off the teams uniforms a couple years ago, with the theory that it's the name on the front of the shirt that counts, not the back. The outcry forced him to reneg after a couple of years and the names are back. There was one season when they had so many 'no names', you had no idea who was who on the field without a scorecard.

That didnt take long--you were ready to change your name just yesterday! :biglaugh:

An artist like you could capitalize selling a few TRUW BLUW CRUW Tshirts or some such thing while the iron is hot...

The way places like cafepress make it simple it seems like anyone with an idea is in the tshirt biz now

I'm way too busy to start making t shirts, but you're right in that now would be the time.

I'm still on board with Andruw. I'm looking forward to seeing him set up to steal second in person. Every time he takes a lead at first the camera zooms in on his face to catch his eyes darting back and forth. If he doesn't fall in love with In-N-Out burgers here, he may have a few more steals in him.

I haven't heard much feedback or vibe on this move yet. My hard core Dodger fan friends seem more concerned as to how this will affect Andre Ethier, and Matt Kemp.I had to slap one upside the head almost to remind him that Jones is a major improvement offensively and defensively, and gives them the 'big bat' they've needed for years. Maybe. Unless he hits .222 again, which I doubt he will.

Point is, it's not like the city has gone ga ga yet. Maybe some bluw cruw pr will help.

it might be up to yuw

(sorry couldnt resist)

Ive heard Kemp talk already way over here for Eric Bedard or Danny Haren, but I havent seen him enough to really know...

Ive also heard Juan Pierre for a bucket of baseballs and a used vacuum cleaner (from a dodger fan) but I wont comment on that..

After you talking about the Dodgers 20 year rebuilding plan I became unbelivably grateful that McCourt wasnt successful in his bid to buy the Red Sox a few years back. he actually was the lead dog and it was very close....god (shivers) thank god that didnt happen........

I've been as critical of McCourt as anyone. He's stumbled through the last few years with amazing errors in judgement.

Yet, suddenly , the Dodgers are on the verge of becoming a really good team, needing only a piece or 2.

Matt Kemp has the potential of becoming a major power hitter, and '5 tool' player. He's still prone to mysterious mental lapses in the field and the base paths, but hopefully he's learning. As one writer put it, in 5 years he can be another Willie Mays, or Willie Mays Aikens. That sounds about right. I'd rather keep him and deal Ethier if a choice is made.

Juan Pierre is fine as long as you don't expect him to be 'the man'. I think a move to left, and having Druw hit behind him will help settle him into a role more suited for him. He took alot of heat for the Dodgers usual failure to meet expectations (fantasies?) last year.

Matt Kemp has the potential of becoming a major power hitter, and '5 tool' player. He's still prone to mysterious mental lapses in the field and the base paths, but hopefully he's learning. As one writer put it, in 5 years he can be another Willie Mays, or Willie Mays Aikens. That sounds about right. I'd rather keep him and deal Ethier if a choice is made.

That sounds like you just described Soriano... million dollar tools with a (sometimes) ten cent brain...

If he can be a 'one man game changer', like Soriano can when his head is right, you've got something there worth keeping (and going to watch)...

I'll move to another subject sone enough but I could let this ARTICLE in todays NYTIMES pass by---

Ever wonder what Arod does with his quarter of a billion dollars?

Charitable foundations?? educational opportunities for the underprivileged?? alittle but

not exactly,--- but if you guessed "slumlord" you were pretty darn close.

The veneer of Alex Rodriguez’s real estate empire of working-class housing is staged to disguise his inner Mr. Potter...

...The paint is camouflage for the mottled backside of the complex, where an exhausted appliance sits on a porch, cardboard is taped over broken window panes and missing spindles give rickety banisters the look of a snaggletooth smile.

Some residents here tell tales of roaches overtaking kitchen cabinets in a bumper-to-bumper crawl to the corn flakes, of carpets stained in the 1990s and quick-trigger evictions.

“My mom comes here and she ain’t no rich person, but she thinks I live in the projects,” said Miguel Ruiz as he sat on the second-floor landing of Building 2-A on a recent Sunday afternoon. “She’s scared to come over here, for real.”

As Ruiz spoke, he pulled a boy named Elijah from a gap in the railing that opened when yet another piece of the banister rattled loose and fell to the ground.

“See, stuff like that, with kids around, it’s messed up here,” Ruiz said, adding, “Honestly, I was raised in a ghetto and I was brought up a little better than this.”

This is one of six apartment complexes in the Tampa area, and one of at least 16 nationwide, that Rodriguez owns and operates as the chief executive of Newport Property Ventures...

....To them, he isn’t A-Rod, a regular-season crackerjack on the verge of a Yankees deal potentially worth $300 million. To them, he is Tight-Rod, an apartment tycoon, who, renters say, has jacked late fees to $100 from $50 on units that run around $600 a month....

...A-Rod is a star constantly locked in a contradiction of conscience as evidenced by his charity. The homey surface of the AROD Family Foundation’s Web site, which promotes a slogan of helping “families in distress,” belies its cap on generosity.

Rodriguez has earned nearly $200 million over the past decade, but, according to 990 tax records dating to 1998, he is a cheap tipper to his foundation.

In eight years of available documents, donations averaged $30,000 a year and gifts distributed to the community averaged $13,000 a year. In 2002, A-Rod did not contribute more than $5,500. In 2006, the foundation did not give away more than $5,090 despite a fund-raiser that collected $368,000.

Why does this guy always wonder why people dont like him?

In something a little easier to take, I took this photo today:

100_1584.jpg

It reads:

On This Site

On this site in 1791 a new meetinghouse of the First Congregational Parish in Pittsfieldwas being completed when several windows were broken as a result of ball games being played in the vicinity.

To protect the building, the town of Pittsfield that year voted a bylaw prohibiting the playing of "wicket, cricket, base ball, bat ball, foot ball, cat, fives or any other game or games with ball" closer than eighty yards from the building

This bylaw is the first written reference to base ball in America

The present building of the renamed First Church of Christ Pittsfield, Congregational replaced the 1791 meetinghouse in 1853

HERE'S the document

Edited by mstar1

Well I spent about 5 hours yesterday staring at "The Virtual Waitng Room" for tickets -- then said screw it and left

vwr.png

-*&%^$#--

I wish that they could figure out some better way of ticket distribution. The 2008 season is now sold out as of yesterday, Im back to relying on either Santa or scalpers, and since I havent got a chimney--and missed those season tix on ebay --it looks like it will be back to 4 or 5 times face value if Im heading to the Fens this year

Edited by mstar1

I guess that's the price of success. Hope you can get to some games.

The Dodgers draw close to 4 million every year, yet I always manage to get either great seats at a reasonable price, or opt for the cheap seats in a pinch.Of course they haven't had the winning seasons the Sox have, but that really doesn't keep anyone away. I suppose the scalpers will start demanding alot more, should they ever win the series.

I know Arod is a shmuck, but I do tire of being reminded of it. I'm not going to let it taint my Yankee support, any more than Mstar would with the Sox, had he landed there.

I see Gagne got picked up by Milwaukee. Oddly enough, unless his arm is shot, I think he might thrive there. He and Boston were a bad mix, which I 'knew' as soon as I heard he was going. He'd have been just as crappy with the yankees.

I hope that he has a good year over with the Brewers, and any pick we get turns out to be another Buchholz (draft pick for losing Pedro Martinez..)

I have no way of knowing if his arm is shot,,I thought that he may have been tipping his pitches or something.. He may not have been able to make the adjustment to the set up man, then after getting shelled a few times his confidence went out the window...no matter --he has his ring and a winter to figure it all out

I just read where Ellsbury was charging $125-$150 for autographs at a mall in Boston recently. Not bad for someone who still qualifies as a rookie next year.

Of course , his agent is Scott Boras.

He certainly isn't too proud, (or smart enough) to turn down the money. He can at least claim that it's cheaper than going to Fenway.

In other news, Milton Bradley has signed with the Rangers.

Trust me, Tom. The fun has just begun.