GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I should check into that---Im not far from the place in Pittsfield, MA that outlawed the playing of base-ball within 80 yards of the Meeting House in 1791 because they were breaking too many windows....(the first written record of baseball anywhere).

I dont know anything about the why's and wherefores of the law in Worcester, whether if it was for breaking windows, because people were missing work, whether it was some 'morality' act, or some other reason. I do think the origins and growth of the game is icredibly interesting though. Id love to have access to early recordsa and films and watch Tris Speaker field a fly ball, Cobb steal, or Honus Wagner make a play--I wonder if any of that stuff exists anywhere and where on earth you could get access to it...

Just for 'kicks' I just sifted through about 200 online opinions about the Santana trade. These were from Sox, Yankee, ( or Skankee, based on many references), and others .

Nothing brings out the ahole in a person more than being a rabid homer for a team. That goes for any team, but especially those two. I could only wish people would get so concerned about something that really matters.

I'm probably in the best world for my baseball temperment. The Dodgers play in a beautiful park, 10 minutes away They compete (sort of). We've got Vin Scully, now Joe Torre, and a long history.A lot of exciting young players, and a few grizzled veterans. If I want to see a REALLY good team, I can still drive 45 minutes south to see the Angels.

The intensity,personal insults,and frankly stupidity of the Sox -Yankee War is more than I can take on a daily basis.

Also read an interesting article on the Blue Jays. If they were in any other division, they'd be contenders every year. Now no matter what they do, they're just 3 rd place no shows. They can add millions to the payroll, bring up good minor leaguers, etc, but the mountain they, and the other east teams have to climb is so disproportionate to any other division. And yes, I blame the Yankees for raising the bar that high. The problem is in MLB's structure.

On the other hand there has been an amazing parity throughout the rest of baseball, with so many different teams winning the series the last several years. According to all the posters I read, the Sox are a 'lock' for the next 5 years though.

They've taken the time to build a good organization, a good team, and a very good farm system, which I think is the real key--well --- along with the revenue building things that they have taken the time to build over the last 6 or so years that allows them to do these things well

The Free Agent market seems like an incredibly inefficient way to build a team, at least to me, the RS draft and develop players well, which to me at least is exciting knowing that there are fresh young good ballplayers in the pipeline...

I doubt anyone is a 'lock'--ever, there are always too many variables in any one season, but I do think that they have worked very hard to position themselves well on alot of fronts for the possibility of winning. Right now its looking good from my vantage point to see good quality baseball for alot of years yet--whether they will win or not--well who knows.......

The Yankees of course are always tough and will continue to be especially after they move into their new state of the art place and increase their profits yet more. Everyone who wants to be competitive will have to adapt their own situations yet again, Im pretty sure that the RedSox wont lay down and die but will stay on top of that from a business standpoint.

You are probably right as far as the Yankees-RedSox thing, Its always been there. RS/Yanks fans have always known about it. Its who they are, they have a history in it..Im sure there is the same type of thing between the Cubs/Cards , Dodgers/Giants and other teams. Its natural. Its a century old..

FOX has blown it out of proportion to people to whom it is an irrelavancy for the last 5 or 6 years and made a mockery of it totally missing any f the greater inherent qulaities of it.. Maybe they should let it alone, quit trying to excite people in Peoria, Tupelo or Boise and let it be where it belongs between Sox fans and Yankee fans like it always has been and always will be...

If other people dont like the rivalry between the two then thats fine, it shouldnt be forced on them. There are p l e n t y of other reasons and things to like about this game plenty....

i dont know about the 'homerism' thing, It can bring out some undesirable qualities in some but most likely they already have those qualities anyway.

Just about everybody I meet (who is a baseball fan) is a fan of some team or another, whether its the Indians, Cubs, Pirates, Orioles, Yankees Red Sox. Mudhens or SwampBats. I generally never have any problems with them unless they are mentally unbalanced or drunk which they generally arent...I dont care if Tom likes the Rangers, or Simon likes the Cubs, there is enough common ground where it isnt an issue. Same goes for Yankee fans except there is usually a little more sparring involved.

If you are averse to people rooting and caring for the home team, I dont know really what you could do-- id be hard pressed to name a neutral ballpark anywhere in the world

I guess I'm responding to internet insanity, where people say any insulting, degrading thing that comes to mind without having to say it to anyone's face.

Rooting for a team is good and natural. Calling a fan of another team names that would get you a punch in the face in person is gutless and shows immaturity and severe imbalance , in my opinion.As intense as the Dodger-Giant rivalry gets, it doesn't approach the emotionalism of Sox-Yankees. To me , that hostility is no fun at all, unless one enjoys rolling around in the mud and thowing punches-which some people clearly do.If that's baseball, you can have it.

Of course the Sox are sitting good. They do have an excellent farm system. They also pay JD Drew more than their best player, which is ridiculous to me. You'd think by the stuff I read that the Sox are the only team that ever put together a team the right way. The Yankees of the late 90's were also a model of intelligent design. So were the Twins before free agency began ripping the team apart.

I'm done with this I hope. I made the mistake of checking out the fan forums, and left with a stomach ache. I'll know better next time I'm tempted.

There are different things about baseball that lure different people. Some people want to be outside on a sunny day, I know others who arent comfortable unless they know the VORP, BABIP. OPS+, win shares and defensive ratings of everyone in the majors. Im somehere in the middle.

I enjoy good fan forums as a way to connect with other fans but I hear you honestly most of them are pretty crappy. I had to look around for a long time to find any of quality and value, Im a member HERE? which I think is one of the better ones on the internet and also read THIS ONE, Both of them strive to keep the signal to noise ratio high and the posts intelligent and at least somewhat thought provoking. Those two are pretty solid online communities that have been around quite awhile..that are worth checking out for any baseball fan who wants to read something at least semi thought provoking...I dont know which ones you may have gone to..there are hundreds but a lot of them are junk.

I never said the Yankees,or other teams havent built good teams i dont know who would or logically could say anything like that. Lots of organizations have built good teams , there are lessons, lots of lessons, (good and bad) to learn from all of them...successful ones are worth looking at for the patterns in their rise...and also in their downfalls.

life is always live and learn or be trapped to endlessly repeat the same mistakes over and over

This Santana thing has been like watching a poker game

NY added Hughes to the pot

Boston added Ellsbury but took out Lester...

NY calls---says the Twins have until Monday to decide, or they're not interested (could it be another 'we are not going to sign ARod' bluff?)

Santana, drops 27 teams out of the game, says he wont wave his no trade clause except to NY or Boston.

Twinkie fans are busy fantasizing about their future lineups-which all look good...

the twins played their hand pretty well ----somethings gotta give soon...

....rounding third....here comes the throw......

Edited by mstar1

With Hughes in and Lester out, it's hard to think the NY package isn't more desirable. But what do I know.

I would hate to lose Hughes, but it's not like they're not getting good value in return. And they'd still Have Chamberlain and Kennedy. I also don't like losing Melky, but outfielders are easier to replace than pitchers.

It probably is their best deal.

I like the way it has been played so far from my angle.

No matter how it ends there is no big down side for the Red Sox

I said a page or two back that I'd hate to give up any of the young guys in Boston, but for a two time Cy it would work for me to give one, which they dont seem to be budging on...Jacoby would be good in alot of ways for the Twins although Id hate to see him go, Lowrie and Masterson are excellent prospects. If they threw Ellsbury in to force the Yankees to pitch in Hughes that also works well.

An example of The Winners Curse?

If the Yankees do make the trade it will force Johnny Damon back to center which will cost them a little defensively over Cabrera....

Who knows--- there is along way to go yet, Im surprised the Dodgers didnt make a better play for him, he looked like he would be a perfect fit..

HERE is todays very strange historical baseball document that is now up for auction.

A Guide to Players regarding Obscene Language from 1898

areal absurdist piece of Major League History

Edited by mstar1

The Dodgers don't try to get anyone. At least not since I've been here. Their re- building program is going on 20 years now.It's commendable that they don't want to trade away their youth. Russell Martin has become a premiere catcher, and James Loney is about to come into his own. The problem is they refuse to part with anyone, even when it makes sense.

They'll draw over 3 million every year , regardless of the team. It's no accident the Angels are more aggressive, and realyy blow the Dodgers away as an organization.

Ialso think the Yankees need Santana alot more than the Sox do. At least they need to keep him from going to the Sox, if possible.

Andy Pettite has decided to pitch another year. He may not be the Pettite of old, but I'll take him anyday. If the Yankees do land Santana, the staff isn't looking so 'sucky' anymore. Even if they don't get him, it's looking alot better, with question marks of course due to all the young pitchers.

Id agree that the Yankees probably need Santana more than the Sox, although of course he would be a huge addition around here and I'd love to have him to watch for a few years at least.

Beckett, Santana, Dasuke, Schilling, Lester looks very very tempting. Plus they still have Wakefield who won 18 and Buchholz who threw a no no with electric stuff and Masterson a year or so away....

Thats 8 quality starting pitchers! Holy camolie!

Another beauty is that with what they are losing ( Matt Clement, Brendon Donnely, Joel Piniero, Doug Mirrabelli etc,) they could sign Santana without raising their payroll.

Its sort of interestiing that the Yanks would go for him to keep him away from the Sox, but that goes with the territory to a certain extent on both sides these days. .

I dont honestly remember all that much at the moment how the Yankees built thier teams in the 90's ( and Im too lazy to look it up and refresh my memory right now,)but there seemed to be a steady stream of players coming up from within the system-Williams, Pettitte, Posada, Rivera, Jeter etc..., and shorter more reasonable contracts that they relied on as their 'winning formula'at the time. To me its odd that they changed something that was working and instead started to aggressively pursue the biggest and most expensive names in the 00's.

It all looks good on paper, but they have had years of Giambi's, Johnson's, Clemen's etc, that really havent panned out as expected....

I have a funeral--I'lol be gone for a few days------

Sorry about the funeral.

The Yankees of the 90's were put together much like the current Sox were. Home grown talent, smart trades, a couple of good free agents. It was a gradual shift away for reasons unknown to me. From what Cashman says, they are returning to their 'roots'.

Unless something like Santana comes up. I don't think they're getting him to keep the Sox from having him. He's too good a pitcher for that. It's just another reason to go after him, since as I said, they need him more than the Sox do.

Travel Safe...

From the well-respected Danny Knobler of Booth Newspapers out of Michigan:

“Baseball sources have confirmed the Marlins and Tigers have discussed a deal that would bring Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to Detroit in exchange for a package of players believe to be headlined by coveted prospects Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin. Some people in the Tigers' organization believe the Marlins' main motivation in talking with the Tigers is to pressure the Angels into upping their offer for Cabrera. The Angels have shown interest in young slugger over the past few weeks, but talks have recently stalled.”

(emphasis mine)

I don't think the Angels will bite. The Marlins are already asking more than they're willing to part with, and they're certainly not going to add to that.

The Tigers will be looking pretty nice if that move is made, though. Nice to see an old 'small-market- franchise rise from the ashes like they have.

From MLB.com:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The finishing touches are being put in place on a blockbuster deal that has the Marlins sending Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to the Tigers for package of six highly-regarded players.

A source familiar with the negotiations has told MLB.com that the Tigers are parting with outfielder Cameron Maybin and lefty starter Andrew Miller and four prospects for the final two players from the Marlins' 2003 World Series championship squad.

Also heading to Florida will be catcher Mike Rabello, and pitchers Dallas Trahern, Eulogio De La Cruz and Burke Badenhop.

Also from MLB.com:
While denying media reports that the Angels had joined the Red Sox and Yankees in the Santana sweepstakes, Reagins clearly owns the option of reconsidering and taking a run at a man many baseball people consider the game's premier pitcher.

"There are a lot of things out there being reported," Reagins said when asked about Minnesota's superstar pitcher, "but I don't see anything on the horizon.

"We haven't had any discussions with regard to adding starting pitching."

Im home again--Hope you all are well..

The Tigres sure are gonna be tough next year......

Did you hear the ridiculousness of today? It must be awfully slow goings in Nashville, or someone has ahuge bone to pick....

I dont know if you remember all the flack that happened this year when a mean & menacing rent-a-cop armed with notepad and walkie talkie interrupted the game mid-inning (and mid-at-bat) to inspect Terry Franconas clothing to ensure he was wearing a uniform as required by MLB's dress code.

At the time it sure seemed like an embarrassment that MLB would just as soon forget about...

Apparently I was wrong...

Heres todays new rule from visionary Bob WatsonThe Francona Rule

Baseball America's Major League Baseball Manager of The Year will no longer be allowed to wear fleece pullovers over his jersey. Only a jersey, or an official team jacket, can be worn exposed.

I'm so glad we have Bob Watson to help preserve the dignity of the game. For only the proper garments will save the sanctity of this sport.

It took a real man to recognize that. A man willing to buff out the surface scratches of steroids, performance enhancements, escalating ticket prices, and embarrassing practices by the league's broadcasting networks, and look beneath the veneer to seek out and confront the true evils of the game.

Please join me in saluting Bob Watson. A man for the ages. Without him, we are lost.

maybe Bob can arrange a retroactive expulsion of

Connie Mack next

EvilConnie.jpg

Edited by mstar1

According to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com, the Rangers have traded outfielder Freddy Guzman to Detroit for first baseman Chris Shelton, who exploded on the American League in his 2005 rookie season, hitting .299/.360/.510 with 18 home runs in 388 at-bats, but who regressed a bit in 2006 and spent all of 2007 in AAA, where he hit a disappointing .269/.381/.420 with 14 homers in 498 at-bats.

I'm really disappointed in how they're handling this whole "trade Laird" thing... it's beyond frustrating... if you're trying to move the guy as a major league catcher then why oh why would you come out a few days ago and name Salty as "your catcher"??? ...it does nothing but decrease his trade value. I'm baffled...

...little things like that that can go a long way.....Unless they are lining up Salty for something..(?)..he could bring a lot.

I dunno, I dont understand how the Rangers work, theyve sure have been quiet for a team that has to make some moves...

Watching the Santana trade is like watching paint dry..as an aside, yesterday Jacoby Ellsbury signed on with Toms favorite Scott Boras, I wonder if that had anything to do with slowing the trade down...probably not --but I wonder..

Hiway gets to watch Andruw next year. He broke all the rules and hit .222 in his walk year

I didn't know the Dodgers got Andruw Jones. I read this before the news today.

For the Dodgers that's a major move. If he hadn't hit .222, he probably would have been too expensive or valuable to another team. Right now, he looks like they threw him a bone, like when they got Nomar, and will hope the .222 season was a fluke.

A couple of years ago, I thought Andruw a major talent. A season like last year makes you wonder. As far as I know he had no health issues. If he returns to form it's great for the Dodgers. I'll probably like this move more as I study on it.

I just can't figure how his name is spelled that way.

don't they have some trades to make???

Im workin on it, im workin on it:

Currently on Ebay

2 RED SOX 1/2 SEASON TICKETS! 40 GAMES - NICE BOX SEATS

2008! 4 YANKEE GAMES! MID-SUMMER GAMES! 1-DAY AUCTION!!

current bid: $6,100.00

Not specified 3h 48m

You've been outbid. Bid again before it's too late!

Important: Another bidder placed a higher maximum bid than yours, possibly days or hours before. To increase your chances of winning, enter the highest amount you would be willing to pay below.

Time left: 3 hours 48 mins

History: 24 bids

Current bid: US $6,100.00

Your new maximum bid: US $ (Enter US $6,200.00 or more)

My GMing is a little different

Andruw Jones has been solid and productive for years... if I recall correctly he started really young in Atlanta... maybe he was just tired of playing in the heat and humiditiy?

I think he's got a few more left in him...

Allegedly the stRangers are back into 'building from within' while adding one or two key pieces each year through trades (without selling the farm)... we'll see... they've taken this stance before but Hicks has never had the patience to see it through. That's not a bad deal the Tigers made IMO, especially if Dontrelle bounces back (which he probably will)... they gave away alot of top prospects in their system but they got two proven major league talents...

Edited by Tom Strange