GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Torii wants a lot of $$$... forgive me lord, but I think for the money I'd like to have Coco roaming CF (he's always played well here) and take my chances with Rudy Jaramillo helping him out...

Also, I don't know that I'd have given ARod such a landslide win...

...and he does get a $1.5 million dollar bonus for the MVP!

I havent even looked at the voting, They were ready to give it to him by April 15, which is one advantage of playing in the planets largest media center. Its strange, Hiway mntioned a page or two ago how there should be more writers from Minnesota, and off the map places. It would certainly help to balance out the game, or at least the perception of the game.......................

(Edit) Ok I went and looked. I agree Magglio should have gotten more votes.

His BA was 49 points higher, and with runners in scoring position he outhit Arod .429-.333. He didint have the glamor stats (HR's) nor the media coverage of NY.

He was only 17 off in RBI's which if you have Jeter in front of you , you should have that many more..an argument could be definitely made that he was more valuable than ARod...

If I had a vote I would've looked very closely at that, anyone that hits .363 and .429 with RISP (!) deserves alittle more notice...

There was also a good argument for Ortiz. HERE is a well researched article.

Like i said they pretty much had awarded it to him in April....

After the signing fiasco..

Somehow when Mike Lowell ( a World SeriesMVP mind you) signed yesterday for 38-39M it all seemed so much more reasonable.....

I dont know what Hunter wants $$ wise but I do think Coco would fit in well in Tejas. I dont know for all the extra dollars Torrii would get if he would be all that much moneysworth better than Coco, or if they should invest that in some pitching, which seems to be a perrenial problem wit yous guys.

I'll trade my Coco card for your Teagarden card and a middle relief prospect (one that works this time preferably...)

Edited by mstar1

I'll trade my Coco card for your Teagarden card and a middle relief prospect (one that works this time preferably...)

I think we'd take that in a hearbeat!

One of the guys was arguing on the radio today that Andru Jones is younger and has better numbers the last couple of years... and he's played most of his games outside... and that Torii would be nice, but for that money we'd all be calling him out in a couple of years if we weren't "where we want to be"...

So yeah, I'm cooling a bit on Torii and becoming a little more practical... besides, he'll probably go to NY or LA (either one of them)...

Any of those guys would be exciting to watch (Andruw, Torii, Coco...)but i couldnt necessarily see building a franchise around them if there are a whole lot of other holes that need addressing too. Coco would probably be a good deal as he would come cheaper, be as good with the glove, give you speed, although he wouldnt drive in the runs ----you guys do need a big RBI guy though now that Texeira is gone.....so maybe not...

hmmm-i dunno---I'd like a Teagarden but even the idea of keeping Coco as a fourth outfielder, if he doesnt mind doing that, is nothing to sneeze at.

We will see, its starting to look like, unlike 04, that the Red Sox are pretty much going to stand pat, with probably just a few minor tweeks this offseason....

I knew who you were talking about--I wonder if he is related at all to Jhonny Peralta or Jimy Williams...

More news that you will probably never use, but was mildly interesting when i read it on the impact of initials:

i read an article yesterday by stathead with way too much time on his hands ( whats that say about me since I actually read it...?)that did the research since 1990 and found that guys with the initial K in their name actually strikeout more often than guys that dont...It works for other initials as well ie BB (think Barry Bonds)...

sort of an interesting psychological study

It doesnt go into people who dont know how to spell their names however...!

I really gotta go

have agood thanksgiving!

I am away and have been out of the loop but just heard that as well. 80mil sounds alittle high to me, but it should be good for the Angels (although they are now overloaded with OFers-(is another trade for MCabrera or Santana coming up??)).

If Hunter is getting 80m, Cocos trade value just went up...

SLAP!!!!

I just read this STORY(gotta sign up):

A mysterious box of letters, memos and legal documents pertaining to the White Sox team accused of throwing the 1919 World Series -- some of the papers thought to be lost since the middle of the last century -- is bound for the auction block this week after being uncovered by two Chicago-area collectors.

The identity of the sellers is not being disclosed and the story of how the papers came to emerge is incomplete. The auction house, Mastro Auctions in Burr Ridge, says the owners probably bought the box at a file sale without knowing what was inside. The auction house would not go into detail about its origins.

Nevertheless, the sudden emergence of an archive of previously unknown documents pertaining to the 1919 Black Sox case has seized the imagination of archivists and historians....

...The thousands of pages include drafts of memos, author-unidentified, that presaged the creation of the commissioner of baseball. The box includes papers apparently from the 1921 criminal trial against the White Sox players accused of throwing the World Series and a 1924 suit in which some of those players sued the team for back pay.

The auction house allowed the Tribune to examine some of the papers. Within the small world of baseball historians - many of whom were contacted for this story - a buzz quickly formed around the collection.

"Wow," Carney said after looking at papers duplicated by the Tribune for this story. "This could be a treasure trove."

Indeed

that would be something to look through

HERE'S the actual auction, Im comin over and lookin at them if you decide to buy them...

meanwhile Im thinking of trading part time girlfreind A and part time girlfriend B in a package deal for fulltime girlfriend C with lots of future potential. I think I could go into a 3 year contract with an option for a possible fourth, maybe longer if we get through the firstseason successfully which is always tentative.......The 80 mil is out though....

if not I gotta see who goes unprotected in the rule 5 draft

( I hope nobody is lurkin here...)

Thanks starman, I needed (and deserved that)...

Yeah, the subject of that auction sounds neat... I'm sure they'll be stories or a movie to come out of it... maybe you should send the link to Speilburg or Ken Burns so's they can buy it!

Now about the girlfriends... only if 'C' is one third (or less) the combined ages of 'A' and 'B'... and no long term contract!

After watching the World Series Im a big believer in the value of young rookie talent as way to motivate a club to greater achievements

I'll be careful to keep my eye on who is left unprotected in the rule 5 draft :wink2:

....just reading excerpts of a few on those documents was pretty cool. It is such an important part of the game we know today with such gaping holes in it based in large part on hearsay, newspaper accounts etc, it would make quite a story to have it all finally filled in...I hope that whoever does buy them somehow makes them public, whether by movie, book or letting them be read and reviewed....

is it spring yet??

So Tom did I read you right back there somehwere that you have a fantasy team?

Ive never done that, although it seems like a good way to go through the winter.

Who's on your team and how does that work? Hows it doin/

ya need a 3rd base coach?.................

Hiway is gonna end up disliking the Sox even more,.

"The Dentist", Dr. Charles Steinberg, the Sox PR guy just hopped over to the Dodgers. ohoh

I liked some of his stuff ( the Sgt Peppers team photo i posted was his and he generally treated the fans well), other people hated him, he went a little overboard at times...He ran all the music, the videos, the special events, the pregame ceremonies... I suppose he did do his job well.

One thing is for sure he will milk the "50th Year of the Dodgers in LA" next year further than most thought imaginable. Some of it will be enjoyable -you'll probably get alot of the old players showing up- some of it may be grating (pray that they dont do the fan dating show like they did here-Sox Appeal-God that was really bad.....

HERE WE GO!

MINNEAPOLIS -- The bidding war for Twins ace Johan Santana has officially begun.

Hank Steinbrenner, the Yankees' senior vice president, confirmed to the Associated Press on Monday that his team and the Twins have begun discussions involving Santana and that Minnesota is definitely willing to trade the two-time Cy Young Award winner.

<snip>

The Yankees are the first to officially confirm talks with the Twins regarding Santana, but the Mets, Red Sox, Dodgers and Angels are all reported to have interest in the ace as well.

<snip>

A trade involving Santana is not without complications. The left-hander has a full no-trade clause in his contract and would have to approve any deal. It's also expected that he would want an extension completed before the trade is finalized, so there would likely be a 72-hour window in which to discuss that. Santana reportedly is looking for a six-year extension and could command as much as $25 million per year, which would make him the highest-paid pitcher in baseball.

Let the bidding begin! I actually don't think it would make much difference if the NYY got him... but if those freaking BoSox get him then what's the use of even playing the games?

Edited by Tom Strange

I have very mixed emotions about Santana. One the one hand , who wouldnt want to watch him pitch , hopefully in his prime years? I had the great fortune of watching Pedro Martinez during his years and it was unforgetable.

However, I know that the Twins are going to want the best of the young players that anyone has, or at least that would be my best guess. I have already gotten very attached to the idea of watching Jacoby Ellsbury, Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester develop and be good if not great players over the next several years. I would hate to lose that.

Minnesota would probably want all of them.

I dont know if it makes financial good sense either. Bucholz/Lester could win 15+ games between them next year and make total combined salaries of about $700,000, if as the article says Santana wants $25m, are those extra 4 or 5 wins really worth 24million?

..but then again imagine a pitching staff of Santana, Beckett, DiceK, Schilling and you could have one of the most dominant starting rotations in recent memory....

I dont know---to me Ellsbury and Buchholz are nearly untouchable, I dont want to see them go at all, I see too much future that I selfishly want to watch in those kids..

The Twins need a CF now with Hunter gone, , Coco and as much as I like hm Lester and maybe some other minor league talent that I havent got to attached to yet (Brandon Moss and/or Jed Lowrie0 would be all I'd offer right now.

As much as it would be an amazing acquisition for the Red Sox if it happens, in a way I'd almost rather see the Yankees trade away their future (Hughes, Chamberlain and Kennedy)on him. It would seem to fit into their strategy of the last several years of going for the biggest name, highest priced players, which never has quite puts the whole package together for them.

They seem to have forgotten that they won with mostly young and for the large part unproven guys in the 90's many of who came up through their system..

Who knows--its all conjecture.....He's .probably gonna end up on the Angels anyway....

Edited by mstar1

I'd be real surprised if the Yankees gave away Hughes ,Kennedy, Chamberlain for Santana. That's not in the plan, and what would be the point ? They know they need pitching, and those guys are the future. I know you'd LIKE them to make that deal.

That Sox pr guy sounds like a nightmare. I don't see how the Dodgers can cram any more junk into distracting from the game on the field, but we'll see. Are there any teams that DON'T overdo that stuff these days ?

Torii Hunter on the Angels. More motivation to drive to Anaheim more often next year.Of course the Dodgers were nowhere to be seen.

Welcome back Hiway..

Hope that your trip was good . Did you make it out to the Stadium?

That Sox pr guy sounds like a nightmare.

Well I suppose he did his job, Ive told you all about a jillion times that there hasnt been an empty seat in Fenway for about 5 years now, he pulled in the casual fan and helped raised the revenues which helped make the team what it is and blah blah blah, but there isnt a moment in the game anymore where something isnt happening which annoys me

I remember and I know you remember that beautiful sound in a ballpark between action moments--Someone more poetic than I can describe it better, but it was a wonderful buzz of fans talking, vendors hawking, maybe a breeze, probably the radio broadcast heard dimly in the background somewhere, etc. It is almost all drowned out now that marketing madness has captured MLB.

Its too bad. Hopefully it will be a phase that someday the worst of it will pass.

Now that he is gone,Im hoping that these two will now hit the unemployment line

lr.jpg

or maybe be consumed by flames.

You better watchout starman... I've heard Lester's name more than a couple of times down here!

As to giving away 'future prospects' in pitching for Santana... it's a deal I'd do any day because Santana is a proven commodity in his prime... the others? well, there still prospects and we all know how hit and miss the pitching game is... there's a heck of a lot of prospects that look great in the minors that never make it in the bigs... I'd do that deal any day... but then, I'm not a GM... yet!

Yea I know that it would make sense, i told you my reasons above are totally selfish

When Ellsbury came up last year and He and Pedroia were batting one two, and I thought of them doing that for years together in front of Ortiz and Ramirez the world seemed just alittle too perfect.

The same thing with Buchholz, especially after his no hitter. He has absolutely brutal breaking stuff that Id love to watch up close.

I know how young players go, there is always an exciting one that never quite pans out the way that you hoped but on the other hand the RedSox traded away a young Jeff Bagwell and a young Curt Schilling too.

Its a tough call but probably the right one. Its sort of nice being in the catbirds seat for once and realizing that the Sox will be a really good team no matter which way they go on this.

You've got to be kidding me with those Red Sox characters !

The Dodgers have never had a 'mascot', but now I fear seeing a 'Dodger Dog' on the field next year.

I couldn't agree with you more, Mstar, on the beauty of a ballpark without the bells and whistles. Maybe it can still be found in Minor league parks. It's all over for the majors.

I had a great trip to Connecticut , thanks. Never made it into the city. Saw an equal number of Sox and Yankee gear walking around. (Interestingly, no Mets gear in sight). Southern Connecticut really is the 'neutral zone' between NY and Boston, and definately 'swings both ways'.

I'm going to try making it to a game at the stadium next year, somehow.

Thats sort of the rules, I may even go down to a game there myself. Just do it

Its still inconceivable to me that they are tearing it down and maybe even more inconceivable that MLB has the Yanks ending the season on the road---I just dont get it---

or maybe I should say --they dont get it. Its not right.

Good to hear you had a good time in CT, we're not all aholes in New England :) (some of us like me give it some serious effort from time to time though :wink2: )

I live in a cusp town on the Ny border that is split about 60-40 toward the Sox, but I've even run into some Dodger fans just this week--of course they are still ....ed that they left Brooklyn...some great stories about Ebbets though...

have you heard The Sox and Dodgers are going to play some exhibition games in the Coliseum in March? Im wondering if they are going to set it up the old way with the screen about 250 to left with RF about 600 or 2 miles or whatever the heck it was---

Steinberg will play that to the hilt....