GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I love watching him...HERE'S an interview with his college coach that came out a few months ago.

“He’s 5-foot-6, he can’t run, he’s not strong, his bat speed and his hands are tremendous because his arms are only about 11 inches long and so close to his body that he’s not getting to anything hit 5 or 6 inches to the right or left of him and he doesn’t have a lick of athletic ability.” ....

...Oh my God. I’m telling you…this kid every game when we were facing a pretty good pitcher from Wichita State or Duke or something he’d lead off the game and hit a line drive and come running past the pitcher yelling ‘you better get used to it…I’m going to be hitting rockets off you all day.’ Then he hits a home run against [Mike]Pelfrey and he yells to him ’97 mph coming in and 197 mph going out’ as he’s rounding the bases. He’d just be chirping the whole game...

...I’m like okay and then Pedroia walks by, flexes and then says ‘Hey Murph check out these guns, man.’ The guy has the biceps of a six-year-old, he has no business wearing a shirt with cut-off sleeves and I’m getting blinded by the shine from the head of a college freshman that’s going bald; then he just proceeded to go out and make every play.

:biglaugh:

gotta love it..

sigh..

not really

you know I would have liked Beckett to win it, but I know Sabathia is very tough, He is a mountain out there and he has learned to pitch over the last few years. He was incredibly tough this year and should have a huge career in front of him

Their records, ERA and WHIP were near identical but with Sabathia having an extra 40+ innings pitched which probably tipped him over the top in the voting.

Oddly enough I have to wonder if that difference in innings may have contributed to his downfall in the ALCS as well (in which Beckett won the MVP)

Two other things I saw in the last few days that tickled me:

1)I saw a live interview with Schilling

when they asked about his contract ( 8m + bonuses) with the Sox he said

"Basically I make a sh!t ton of money to do what I love"

I havent heard anyone say "sh!t ton" in quite awhile, it was refeshing to hear ballplayer signed for 8+ to honestly say what we all already know and be completely upfront and honest about it..

2.) my favorite quote of the week--if you havent heard the World Series Ball has disappeared yet AGAIN.

Theo Epstein's response

--"I have no idea where the ball is and don't really care. I hope that's a recurring problem for us."

:biglaugh:

So do I

Edited by mstar1

Posada signed with the Yankees today, staving off any free agent worries, and they're waiting to hear from Rivera. It doesn't look like there will be an exodus from New York with Torre's passing. I'm starting to think with Arod leaving, the young players that have started to gel, and a fresh approach with Joe Girardi, that the Yankees may be better than last year ( which wasn't much). I also 'predict' that Johnny Damon will have a big year after fading somewhat.

Really, without Arod there, it feels like a giant barnacle and distraction is out of the way. I can only hope they mean it when they say they're not dealing for him.

I know Posada had a career year but a four year deal for a catcher of his age seems questionable to me, If they want to pay him for four, more power to them, it may work out, but personally I doubt that he will ever have another year like 07 and by the time he is 40 in a few years they will have yet another DH on their roster. maybe..maybe not that amount of years seems risky to me...

Im not sure about Damon either, maybe he will bounce back, he is resilient but I have seen him run full speed into an awful lot of walls over the last several years, a lot of walls, that has got to take its toll. There is also absolutely nothing left of his arm. Cabrera will be in center, Damon in left and Matsui and Giambi sharing DH I guess.

Whats up with their pitching staff? Mussina, Clemens, Pettite, Pavano-all gone...They'll either be hoping for big years from Hughes, Kennedy and Chamberlain and Wang (again)or will have to be out to get Johann Santana, or Scott Kazmir or who?

Wil they give up young prospects for these guys and cut there future? I doubt too many would want to take any of their high priced guys especially for afrontline pitcher....

Im just musing...

Their defense also suffered alot last year..I think that will have to be shored up.... Even diehard Yankee fans are finally calling for Jeter to be moved somewhere else...... I never did understand why ARod didnt play short.... Would they move him to first or third?

Abreu and Cano are solid, and I like Melky Cabrera and of course no one ever counts the Yankees out, It's a long way until opening day-It will be interesting to see what they put together over this winter and most importantly if Girardi can get them to play as a team. theres alot to see...

Dont forget it is the last year of Yankee Stadium....As much as I dont like the place, it is still unfathomable to me that they are actually tearing it down. The tentative schedule doesnt even have them playing the last game of the year in the stadium but somewhere on the road.

How stupid is that?

I have to wonder if anyone is awake at all sometimes

Edited by mstar1

Posada may have had a 'creer year', but he's never had a bad year, and shows no signs of slowing down. I think he's been somewhat 'lost' and underrated in his value to the Yankees, and even if he starts to fade in year 3 or so, I think he's earned the contract.

Who knows if Damon has run into one too many walls ? Call it a 'hunch', but I think with the move to left, and a 'new' team direction, that he's going to return to his former self.

This is the first I've heard anyone suggest moving Jeter to third. I don't know who these 'die hard' Yankee fans are-probably some posters at a Yankee fan site, but I'm not ready to put Derek out to pasture yet. Good Grief ! There have always been shortstops with greater range than Jeter, but he still plays the same today as 10 years ago, and is the glue and heart of the Yankee infield.

Of course they're hoping for big years from Wang,Hughes and Chamberlain. Isn't that what strong young pitching is all about ? Pettite may still be coming back, and Pavano and Clemens were never in the picture. You can be sure they'll try to get Santana if possible. I agree the pitching staff has question marks, and is the big reason why the season can go either way.

Of course third base is a huge hole that will be addressed over the winter. I just hope they don't trade pitching to get someone.

I'm heartsick over the Stadium closing. I guess it's not as bad as the Dodgers leaving Brooklyn, (I just realized noone ever cries about the Giants leaving NY-wonder why? ) but it's an epic loss. My first trip to Yankee Stadium when I was 10 was one of my chief childhood events. I have to say that the Stadium lost something when it was renovated in the 70's though. If they can recapture the feel of the original park, with the distinctive frieze pattern running across the stands, and some better seating , then I'll live with it. The worst seat in baseball are the bleacher seats behind the monuments in left field. You may as well be in the next county.

I think the all star game is there this year, and MLB figures they'll do all the 'hoopla' then, but I agree that the seasons last game should be there.

It will be intersting to me how the thirdbaseman sweepstakes plays out.

The RedSox offered Lowell 3 Years which he didnt sign before the exclusive period was up yesterday. I expect that the Yankees will offer him 4 or more. I love the guy but he also had a career year this year, and 4 years is a long time. If Mike goes for the years it could be because of the Yankees way of doing things.

If he goes to NY, does that (in a way) force the Sox hand on ARod? They could pay him well but I doubt that they (or anybody) are going for the 10/$350...maybe something like 7/190...With what they are losing in payroll with Lowell, Clement and others leaving as well as young cheap players, I think they could do that without expanding the payroll

Who knows....and aside from the money there is the boatload of other baggage and issues that would have to be ironed out first. I dont know if they'll want to toy with that or not.

I do suppose that there are alot of people conjecturing ( and fearing) a lineup that had a mix of Manny, Papi and Arod in the middle...

It sounds formidable..

if i was apitcher I would wantto call in sick that day...

I like Miguel Cabrera too, but he would probably cost a few young players..

Who knows? right now its like watching a card game with the gm's bluffing and dancing

The Yankees would love to get Cabrera, but the Marlins want Hughes or Chamberlain as part of the deal, and they can't afford to give up that kind of pitching.

If they go for Lowell it will be interesting in that he started with the Yankees years ago. I always thought ilosing him a bad move, but wonder if getting him back this late in his career is the thing to do.

A line up of Ortiz , Arod, and Manny is frightening, and that may be the motivation to get him.Funny how everyone hates Arod, but the thought of having him makes the mouth water. He is a hitter like no other. So why do I think the Yankees are going to be better without him? I don't know if you can 'iron out' the baggage he brings.' Arod being Arod' won't play like 'Manny being Manny' seems to. You can't insist he produce in the post season before he signs, and you can't change his'me, me, me', attitude.

I dont know what they could do. I do know that the Red Sox will be smart about it. They did say that anything they do with him will " be on our terms-not his"...whatever that all means.

I do know that about the one thing he doesnt have is a ring---( well that --and the respect of 3/4 of America :wink2: )

for all I know he could have been Borassed into this whole image/money thing and the insatiable need to have everyone like him ...maybe underneath ( again who knows) he really is just some schmuck who really does want to win a world series and feel that for once in his life.

....thats the main bait that the Red Sox have...

I'll give Theo and Tito the benefit of the doubt on knowing what they are doing---a lot of people have come here and changed ---finding themselves--and enjoying the process indoing it. They could give the atmosphere and direction to be himself and not have to be his image, that might help--that and a team of psychologists from Vienna or someplace...

who knows ---we'll probably end up with Joe Crede, Hank Blalock, or Weezie from the Jeffersons for all I know, which will be fine

--:biglaugh:

The World Series is the same bait the Yankees dangled. Didn't happen. Lord knows he had enough opportunity to help make it happen. I'm not sure what players changed when they went to the Sox. I'm not knocking the team or organization, it's a great place to be. There are other great places to be. There's no place better for a player to be himself and enjoy life like Dodger Stadium., and even they can't change the 'head cases'(like Milton Bradley) that come through.

I'm sure about now, Gagne is real nostalgic for LA.

Im sure they can have him back relatively cheap.

Its too bad it didnt work out here for him, it wouldve been a nice setup with Okajima/Gagne in the 8th/ Papelbon 9th, and either Gagne or Oki every once in a while closing. Now that couldve been as formidable as Manny/Papi/Arod..

but it didnt so, he still gets a nice ring out of the deal.

I still have to wonder if he was tipping his pitches, was pitching hurt, or if his confidence took a dive after he got hammered hard the first few times out

whatever it is--I hope he works it out.

------------

I spose the big one im thinking about the most ofcourse is Ortiz, he was cut by Minnesota (or dfa'ed or something) and nobody else wanted him at the time, for a guy who came here as a 3rd firstbaseman, He fit in pretty well, found himself and hes been doing pretty good :)

I think they should keep him around :biglaugh:

Interesting... from MLB.com:

NEW YORK -- The door may have cracked open again for Alex Rodriguez and the Yankees, and according to a report, the All-Star third baseman is the one pushing it open.

Citing a source with knowledge of the situation, the New York Daily News reported on Wednesday that Rodriguez and the Yankees have been discussing a surprising deal that would keep the likely American League Most Valuable Player in pinstripes after all.

But the Yankees, who were rebuffed when they asked repeatedly to meet with Rodriguez after the season, have one request of their own. According to the report originally published on the newspaper's Web site, the Yankees have no plans to negotiate with Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras.

"We will not negotiate with Scott Boras," a club source told the Daily News. "He cannot be in the room."

<snip>

"We realize it could be a trap to get us back in the negotiations," one Yankees official told the Daily News. "But we don't think that's the case."

The Yankees have also made contact with the representatives for free-agent third baseman Mike Lowell, according to published reports.

I HOPE, really HOPE, that since he has already 'opted out' that this doesn't mean that the stRangers will be back on the hook for part of his salary...

I expect Rocky will be here soon to tell us who won Manager of the year... but you have to announce both leagues Rocky.

Edited by Tom Strange

Also from MLB.com:

There is a possibility the Los Angeles Dodgers will sign Alex Rodriguez.

And how do we know that? Simple. The most prominent baseball person in the Dodgers organization has told us so.

That would be Joe Torre, the new manager of the Dodgers. Just last Friday when Torre was asked if the Dodgers were among the teams that could make a run at Rodriguez, he replied: "It's possible. It's possible. It's possible."

That would be quite a catch, if you will, should the Rangers get Hunter. One of the games most exciting players, who I'm sad to see leave the Twins. It would be nice to see some high profile free agents sign with someone other than the usual suspests for a change.

Egad. I knew it was too good to be true. Arod may be back in pinstripes yet. My thinking is the Angels are still the most likely bet, but who knows. Somehow I don't see Joe Girardi putting up with him, but then the whole Girardi experiment is an unknown.

Nothing wrong with Jeter's arm. The reason Arod played third was because Jeter was there first, in his prime, and an institution at shortstop. He also balked at the idea, and won out because of the above reasons.

I'm not sure where this 'Jeter isn't good enough to play shortstop' talk started, but it's ridiculous to me. I've never heard any complaints about his arm either.

And letting Ekstein get away was one of the bigger blunders the Angels made. Love the little guy.

The jeter stuff has been going around, (at least I have heard is amongst AL East fans) for at least a few years. He positions himself well, does have a good arm, is very good on the relay, but honestly has the range of a sack of potatoes most of the time--anything more than 18 inches to his left can be questionable when you watch him, and he has been noticably deteriorating in the fieldover the years.

Its not just me-- He consistantly has ranked last or next to last in range factor for the last several years as that NY writer pointed out.

I think part of the problem is that he is perceived as a good shortstop because of old highlights (the same ones- that are played over and over) and because his name is "Derek Jeter" and he has some untouchable iconic aura attached to his name.

How many times have you seen the play he made in the playoffs against Oakland years ago, or his dive into the stands that he made in '04? (Pokey Reese actually made that exact same play in the very same game..) He still has the patented

jump-throwTM, which is very dramatic, and looks smoooth doing what he does, and the fistpump, but when you watch him alot, he just doesnt reach many of the plays that most other shortstops do in less dramatic fashion

This is not to downgrade him, he is probably the best number 2 hitter that I have ever seen and that is where his real value lies and why he will be in the HOF--but in the field he has become an icon, an image, sort of like Wierwille preaching when he really didnt make a whole heckuva a lot of sense but people still fawned all over him because he was the MOGFOT....

To many people Jeter is the Yankee SS, period.

He is the captain, he won championships--therfore he must be a great fielder

I was actually surprised in a way when ARod came in 04 and didnt play short, of course I havent seen him play short in 4 years but at that time he was much better at short than Jeter.

I think he plays there because he is expected to, its "his", and the Yankee organization doesnt want to see that it is actually costing them in the field.

Anyway thats my two cents on the matter.

Most likely nobody is going to move him (unless Girardi grows a brass set) and that is fine with me