GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

rhino... don't worry brother... it's tomorrow (10/30)

now... if you had multiple taco bells...

think of the possibilities man!

LOL yeah, if I was doing the window route in new Orleans, I could probably eat free tacos from 1-3pm. Of course there will probbly be a two hour wait. Not really worth it for a 60 cent taco.

I must say I was a little disappointed with the Rockies fans' cheering. I didn't really find it that intimidating (like at older team stadiums). The most catchy thing they had was "Tu-lo!" or something. The Fenway crowd was referred to as an "X" factor. Maybe the it was just the television reception or something. I dunno.

Part of it was the television mics, part of it is that it is a big open stadium, part of it is Colorado crowds tend to be a little more laid back and less rabid (like in the rest of our life), BUT-

the major thing is you have to remember, no more than 20% of that crowd were the usual fans. The vast majority were older, wealthier and not much more familiar there than they would be if they had flown into Fenway. Championship series games ticket prices do not encourage the regular fan base.

Just the same, I was at the last game of the Philly series, and believe me it was plenty boisterous.

However- I think at this stage in a player's career, the noise is something that is not a factor.

~HAP

Part of it was the television mics, part of it is that it is a big open stadium, part of it is Colorado crowds tend to be a little more laid back and less rabid (like in the rest of our life), BUT-

the major thing is you have to remember, no more than 20% of that crowd were the usual fans. The vast majority were older, wealthier and not much more familiar there than they would be if they had flown into Fenway. Championship series games ticket prices do not encourage the regular fan base.

Just the same, I was at the last game of the Philly series, and believe me it was plenty boisterous.

However- I think at this stage in a player's career, the noise is something that is not a factor.

~HAP

That all makes sense. I was wondering if it had to do with new parks too. At Fenway you see people hanging over everything banging on walls and such. I guess older ballparks are just "cozier". :biglaugh:

---

Anyone else annoyed about the A-rod announcement during Game 4 of the WS?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

"I apologize to the Boston Red Sox and Colorado Rockies and their players, Major League Baseball and its players, and baseball fans everywhere for that interference," Boras said. "The teams and players involved deserved to be the focus of the evening and honored with the utmost respect. The unfortunate result was not my intent, but is solely my fault. I could have handled this situation better, and for that I am truly sorry."

Yeah, my team is about the win the series and I'm thinking about A-rod vs Lowell for next season. :asdf:

I don't know about that HAP... I've heard plenty of players comment about some of the older venues (in all of the sports except maybe football) about how the fans were "right on top of them"... and if I recall, Fenway is kind of like that... and when those fans get crankin'... It just looked to me like the Rockies weren't as focused when they showed a couple of dugout shots during the times the fans were really loud... the CR players were just kind of looking around at the fans with their eyes (and mouths) wide open...

but then again... maybe not...

I made it up, Rocky. I thought Joe would go good with the new color scheme in Dodger Stadium.

Seriously, it was featured on my Yahoo home page from something called the PA sports ticker. The article also states that Don Mattingly may be joining him as coach ! My favorite manager, and favorite player, coming to my now home town !!

It's still early in the morning here. I haven't got the local sports on TV or the paper yet. I'm hoping this will be big news in a few hours.

It looks like the Yankees will hire Girardi as of today. The Dodgers were very interested in Girardi also. One never knows what affect a new manager will have, but it seems to me Giradi and the Yankees might work out nice. Unless it doesn't. Girardi is a hard core 'fundementals' type , and has played with several on the team.

I am so hoping the Dodgers sign Torre. They haven't had an effective manager since Lasorda retired, and Joe will bring his experience and 'presence' to a team that desperately needs to regain it's former glory. The Dodger clubhouse fell to pieces last year, with veterans and younf players hostile to each other, and Grady lost in the middle. Torre will not allow that to happen. At least I like to think he won't.

There's a good article at MLB.com about folks who have already filed for FREE AGENCY.

One owner of the all-time home run record, one likely 2007 American League MVP, one 2005 AL Cy Young Award winner, one 2006 World Series MVP and a Fort Knox full of Gold Gloves.

The onset of the free agency filing period made for a busy Monday, both in quantity and quality, as 57 players submitted the paperwork needed to get the process under way.

The biggest names were the smallest surprises.

A day after agent Scott Boras had disclosed Alex Rodriguez's intent to opt out of his contract with the Yankees, the infielder formally became a free agent for the second time in his career.

A-Rod may also soon be a reigning MVP on the move for the second time in his career. He had joined the Yankees in 2004, after having earned the league's 2003 honor with the Texas Rangers.

And a month after being symbolically cut off by the Giants, Barry Bonds formalized the separation by also filing.

Other headliners to file were right-hander Bartolo Colon, who won a total of seven games for the Angels following his '05 Cy Young Award, St. Louis shortstop and '05 Series MVP David Eckstein, and Minnesota center fielder Torii Hunter, who has six Gold Gloves going on seven.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Torii Hunter patrolling CF for the stRangers! Maybe the extra $7m or so we'll have (that we don't have to send to the NYY) will come in handy! But you never know with Hicks... Hunter has made it known that he wouldn't mind playing for his 'home town' team (he lives here in the off season) but if I were going to put money on it, I'd think he'll probably be patrolling CF in pinstripes instead...

HERE'S A LIST of the 57 that have filed so far...

Tori Hunter is the prize of the group. I'm sorry to see him leaving the Twins. Unfortunately Kirby Puckett is no longer around to talk some sense into him. If the Yankees do sign him, he's more than a nice replacement for Arod. I'll take his heart over Arods 50 home runs anyday.

It's official-the Yankees signed Girardi.

Tori Hunter is the prize of the group. I'm sorry to see him leaving the Twins. Unfortunately Kirby Puckett is no longer around to talk some sense into him. If the Yankees do sign him, he's more than a nice replacement for Arod. I'll take his heart over Arods 50 home runs anyday.

It's official-the Yankees signed Girardi.

Isn't Hunter a CF?

He's only the best CF in the game right now. I didn't mean he'd be replacing Arod at third.I meant that losing Arod and gaining Hunter sounds fine with me, if it comes to it. Damon has pretty much moved from CF to left. I'm also not on a bandwagon for the Yankees to get him. I wish he'd stay with the team he started with, but I doubt he's listening to me.

Grady Little has quit the Dodgers, in order to beat them to the punch , I guess. I do feel bad for him, in that he's a good guy who may be a better coach than manager. I recall the Boston's firing him after he left Pedro in a playoff game too long. He does seem to become expendable.

Now waiting on the Torre signing.

Grady Little has quit the Dodgers, in order to beat them to the punch , I guess. I do feel bad for him, in that he's a good guy who may be a better coach than manager. I recall the Boston's firing him after he left Pedro in a playoff game too long. He does seem to become expendable.

Now waiting on the Torre signing.

From Broadway to Hollywood! Well, we know Joe Torre can handle prime time! Of course, him going to the Dodgers isn't necessarily something I personally would look forward to... but that's just me. :blink:

Geez Rocky, I just noticedwe joined here about the same time, but you have 5000 more posts than me ! Must be all taking place in the politics board, that I do my best to avoid.I get in enough trouble right here.

Musta been those 4 days between when I signed up and when you did. :biglaugh:

Have the Dodgers hired Torre yet?

Torre isn't 'official' yet, but it seems to be all over but the shouting-whatever that means.

I wouldn't have thought you'd have that many posts, Tom. You must be frequenting a thread I don't get to.

I'm all over the place brother... although most of them are the result of "Mike in the Doctrinal"!!! :biglaugh: