GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I feel the sox have a must win game tonight. I haven't watched the rox before, but I feel by the time this series is out west, the rust will be knocked off. And from what I hear the rox can be very good. I'd like to see the series won in Fenway anyway, with the fans.

OK, good prediction, but aren't you supposed to make those BEFORE the game? :biglaugh:

sure rhino... but I didn't think it was a prediction but more a statement of the obvious :)

I do predict the CR bounce back tonight though... and steal the home field advantage from the AL...

...but I don't know anything, it's the postseason and sometimes things aren't what they seem...

I guess some could look at it as the CR had to have a record breaking ride just to get here while the BoSox coasted in (to the postseason) and naturally should win in a seven game series... but then there's that 'destiny' thing that sometimes takes over and before you know it...

(and heck ...I hold little hope for ANY TEAM to win against Beckett, especially in the postseason)

sure rhino... but I didn't think it was a prediction but more a statement of the obvious :)

I do predict the CR bounce back tonight though... and steal the home field advantage from the AL...

...but I don't know anything, it's the postseason and sometimes things aren't what they seem...

I guess some could look at it as the CR had to have a record breaking ride just to get here while the BoSox coasted in (to the postseason) and naturally should win in a seven game series... but then there's that 'destiny' thing that sometimes takes over and before you know it...

(and heck ...I hold little hope for ANY TEAM to win against Beckett, especially in the postseason)

OK Tom ... :) I'll put you down for the Rockies tonight, and I'll take the Sox, though am cheering for the Rocks ...

Oh, and the score will be 6-4 .... Schilling will go to the sixth and allow 3 runs ... ;)

There's only one thing I know for sure about baseball. Just when you think you know what's what, it throws you a curveball.

As I've often quoted Yogi-"In baseball, you don't know nothing."

I don't think the Rockies have much of a chance. I think they played way over their heads that last month , and the time off brought reality back.

People love to compare payrolls whenever a team faces the Yankees. I don't think that means much, but just for kicks one can compare the Rocks and the Socks payroll.

I think I'll go by the wisdom of Yogi in this one.

I don't mind blow outs... when the Dbacks are the team doing most of the scoring. :biglaugh:

well... of course I'd rather see my team win... but I much prefer a close game...

we'll see how the young kid does tonight, how he handles the pressure... we already know that Schilling can, it's just a question of whether or not his 'stuff' is good enough.

Starman: have you started on your second Sam Adams yet?

My uncle passed away last night, i found out this morning.

He was old and full of days and lived a good life, but it took a little off of the day for me..... It reminds me of the scene in A League Of Their Own, when the telegraph from the war department came in...and finally at the end of the scene after the whole team is shaken up, Tom Hanks says "Come on we have a game to play today"

Today feels a little bit like that right now.

Its amazing to me how baseball marks the time, through ups and downs , joys and sorrows, ecstasy and grief, triumph and tragedy there is always ..baseball.

alright----enough of that

-we have a game to play today..

Go get em Curt

we'll see how the young kid does tonight, how he handles the pressure... we already know that Schilling can, it's just a question of whether or not his 'stuff' is good enough.

Starman: have you started on your second Sam Adams yet?

No Sam Adams for me just yet, although on another board there was a very spirited discussion yesterday rating the World Series by the merits of Sam Adams vs Coors Light...

Is it really a contest?

Im looking forward to seeing this kid with the 100mph fastball too, Schilling is a whole nother can of beans, Schillings smarts is what gets him through these days,and if he executes what he knows to do he will be very tough. With his post season record as it is over his career, Ive been wondring all week if a standout performance in this World Series nails him a shot at Cooperstown....

but thats a long way off lets see whos throwing strikes in the first inning before we go there

So sorry to hear about your uncle, Mstar. I hope the game helps with the grieving process. It almost is enough to want your Sox to win for your sake.

Not me--Im Ok, and baseball will definitely help

but I would like to see them win it for my Dad sake, my Uncle Paul was his last surviving sibling. Pop is a huge Soxfan and it would give him a lift

Im looking forward to seeing this kid with the 100mph fastball too, Schilling is a whole nother can of beans, Schillings smarts is what gets him through these days,and if he executes what he knows to do he will be very tough. With his post season record as it is over his career, Ive been wondring all week if a standout performance in this World Series nails him a shot at Cooperstown....

but thats a long way off lets see whos throwing strikes in the first inning before we go there

I think Schilling's already got his spot at the Hall reserved... WS for three teams, Co-MVP 2001 WS, the bloody sock... it's already a lock (IMO)... as long as he keeps his mouth shut for most of the next few years. A win tonight wouldn't hurt, but at almost 41, a loss would likely not hurt his chances either.

I dont know Im not sure, i think he is on the cusp... Im a believer, you are because you were there, I think a big one today could seal his legacy-

Today is October 25. which happenes to be St. Crispin's Day

I got some apprpriate Henry V for the Warrior Curt

Then shall our names,

Familiar in his mouth as household words-

Shall Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

This story shall the good man teach his son;

And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,

From this day to the ending of the world,

But we in it shall be remembered-

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition;

And gentlemen in England now-a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

OK Tom ... :) I'll put you down for the Rockies tonight, and I'll take the Sox, though am cheering for the Rocks ...

Oh, and the score will be 6-4 .... Schilling will go to the sixth and allow 3 runs ... ;)

well, I got the inning right on Schilling ... those two runners will have to score to be right on the 3 runs :eusa_clap:

Edited by rhino

First: Starman I'm sorry for your loss and hope the game last night lifted your Pop's spirits some. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Second: That's a great story about the kid from Odessa, Texas. A really neat story.

Third: I was wrong about the outcome of game 2 ...no surprise there, there's a reason I don't gamble much!

I think the 8 day layoff hurt them in this respect: They had 8 days to 'stop and think' "we're in the World Series"! Maybe I was imagining it, but it just seemed to affect them more than it did the BoSox. I thought I could see it last night in that young pitcher... although he and the other pitchers did a miraculous job on Papi and Manny, it just seemed like he was trying to overthrow, always throw the perfect pitch... I don't know, it just seemed the pressure of the situation got to them although it was a very good game... but once it get to Papalbon it was church. (sorry starman, I'll never learn how to spell his name)

I also think the CR were a little in awe of playing in Fenway, with a WS crowd of BoSox fans... at least I thought I saw it on their faces when they'd show them during the times the crowd was really making noise.

I'm hoping that the CR batters will get back to their 'taking what the pitchers give them' style of hitting. It's what got them there and it just seemed that most of them were swinging for the green monster or the short right field no matter the pitch... I think that's a trap that many teams fall into at Fenway.

Well... the home team has held serve, let's see what happens in Denver... I hope the games aren't played in arctic conditions and I hope that the CR can pull a couple or three out of the bag...

Again, starman, be well and be at peace and be a comfort to your Pop as much as you can... I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say 'our thoughts are with you'...

I know for my uncle that passed away a couple years ago, baseball was one of the main things he still liked to watch, or even just listen to. (besides The Price Is Right) He reminded me often of the days the teams would travel by bus.

As for the Rockies ... maybe it is like running a marathon (their long stretch of wins) then sitting down for an hour ... and trying to get going again ...

I don't gamble either, but it did seem the Rockies were set up to fall flat after the miracle run ... so that might have been a good bet. Hopefully the Denver air will reignite them ...

Thanks guys---I was very drained yesterday and didnt get to see much of the game so I cant really comment on much other than Im glad that Curt pulled it all together, and Okee dokee Okajima showed the country what I have been seeing all summer.

We'll see what the thin air brings to DiceK next, and who sits---(glad Im not making that decision!)

....from the department of the never expected:

first Rudy Giuliani, Mr Yankee was seen wearing Sox Gear, some of my yankee fan friends are too, now at the rabid antiSox NYYFANS.com there is actually a Go RedSox thread.....

Somebody pinch me....

It's a good thing he has about 8 or 9 other pitches!
Id love to see the day when Varitek takes off his mitt and uses both hands to give the sign

:biglaugh:

They had 8 days to 'stop and think' "we're in the World Series"! Maybe I was imagining it, but it just seemed to affect them more than it did the BoSox. I thought I could see it last night in that young pitcher... although he and the other pitchers did a miraculous job on Papi and Manny, it just seemed like he was trying to overthrow, always throw the perfect pitch... I don't know, it just seemed the pressure of the situation got to them although it was a very good game... but once it get to Papalbon it was church. (sorry starman, I'll never learn how to spell his name)

I also think the CR were a little in awe of playing in Fenway, with a WS crowd of BoSox fans... at least I thought I saw it on their faces when they'd show them during the times the crowd was really making noise.

Not all, but I think alot of especially younger teams fight and claw so hard to make it to the WS, that by the time that they get there, the "We're just happy to be here' awe hits them and they really dont go into that next notch that is required (most years) to come on top...but play like they have been hoping that is enough...

the Rocks are young and no doubt will be around for a long time , (if they can keep them together) but other than Helton ( does he have playoff experience before this year?) they are really not that experienced.

The mix of Veterans who have been there before(Schilling, Varitek, Manny, Beckett etc,) combined with the younger guys --Pedroia, Ellsbury, Papelbon etc--gives a good balance to the Sox

At this point its hard to remember that the RedSox spent alot of years losing in the playoffs that gave them valuable experience on how to do this October baseball thing and do it right...

To me its almost a different animal than the regular season..

It took a long time to build it

Id love to see the day when Varitek takes off his mitt and uses both hands to give the sign

yeah... watching him flash all five fingers is a different thing! I noticed him doing it with Okijima as well last night, does he have a ton of pitches as well?

The mix of Veterans who have been there before(Schilling, Varitek, Manny, Beckett etc,) combined with the younger guys --Pedroia, Ellsbury, Papelbon etc--gives a good balance to the Sox

At this point its hard to remember that the RedSox spent alot of years losing in the playoffs that gave them valuable experience on how to do this October baseball thing and do it right...

To me its almost a different animal than the regular season..

It took a long time to build it

I was just thinking last night (yes, sometimes I "think" although most of the time you wouldn't know it) the same thing...

that and the fact that opposing pitchers have to face Youklis, Papi, Manny, Lowell and Drew all in a row... there's no room for error with any of them!

and they've got pitching as well... (Gagne!)

It's no wonder they're in the playoffs each year...

(sorry for the "Gagne!" starman, just thought I'd see if I could make ya flinch!)

Edited by Tom Strange

Thats alright

Gagne was dominant..dominant I tell you..in game 1--He made all the difference

He is learning to protect those double digit leads like a true master

Youklis, Papi, Manny, Lowell and Drew all in a row... there's no room for error with any of them!
It certainly helps that they are all very disciplined hitters and whether they get a hit or whatever, the quality of there at bats -pitch by pitch -- has been stunning at points to watch.

They also do their homework

The Red Sox held a four-hour scouting report meeting Monday night, attended by the entire coaching staff, three advance scouts who sat on the Rockies for the past four weeks, and the team's video coordinators. What they saw from Game 1 starter Jeff Francis was a guy who likes to throw soft stuff away but who kept hitters honest with just enough cutters in or fastballs up.

4 hour meetings? maybe thats all normal in MLB, but time and time again I have heard players praise the advance scouts for their successes. I dont remeber hearing that too often before the last few years

It's no wonder they're in the playoffs each year...

The whole organization works hard it from alot of different angles that arent always visible to the fans to make the whole organization and especially the team on the field successful.

Ive praised the owners on this thread in the past, maybe someday I'll talk about it more, but it wasnt that long ago (6-7 years) that Fenway was going to be torn down and the RedSox were struggling, and couldnr compete with even Toronto and Baltimore, never mind NY--forget playoffs. They put together a very thorough approach and created the sort of Perfect Storm thats happening now...

O and its PAPELBON-but if you wanna call him Popelbloom that fine too

(I love having a closer that is just a tad psycho..)

and the dancing Papel Puppet when he came in last night may have been the sign of the year :biglaugh:

1193399423_0966.jpg

Edited by mstar1